What is Diablo 3 About?

So I was speaking to my brother-in-law on MSN, and due to the birth of his first son with my sister (it's so awesome :D:D:D I'm an uncle for the first time! :D) and in my MSN "note" thing I have "May 15th The End of Days".
    He asked me what that was about and I told him that it was the release date for Diablo 3, and that it is going to be a fantastic game, hopefully one of the best ever, in my opinion.

Then he asked me what type of game it is and what it is like to play. And although I know what type of game it is, and I know exactly how it is to play, I could not find a short and descript way of explaining Diablo 3 to him.

I felt like the game, with all it's adherence to "easy to learn, difficult to master", is inherently difficult to explain with only words. I do not think that the game is too complex to describe, or that there is anything wrong with being unable to describe it "simply" and in a way that conveys just how much depth lies beneath the "hack and slash RPG" title.

I told him that it was classed as an Action-RPG. That you play, for all intents and purposes, a super-human, called a "Nephalem" in the Lore. Who goes to investigate a meteor crash and have to fight legions of monsters, zombies, demons and humans.

He then said "Is it like WoW?" as he has played WoW before for a fair length of time (a couple years at least that I know of).
    I of course said "Not like WoW in the way you're thinking. There are no monthly fee's, it is not an MMO, you can only have small groups and the game is fully playable solo from start to finish, but you can also play the entire game from start to finish in groups of upto 4."

"So explain the game to me shorthand then" he said to me.

And this is where I ran into a brick wall. Maybe it is my excitement and utter amazement at how awesome the game is at the moment (again in my opinion, I fooking love the Beta and cant stop playing it) that makes me lack the objectivity to explain it quickly and easily.
    I want to explain to him about the awesomeness of the Item Hunt, the brilliance of the Skill and Rune system. The interwoven storyline from previous games and books and the amazing replayability though the rising difficulty levels and Act system.

But how do I do all that in a simple and easily understandable way? He is not going to understand if I tell him that a large part of the game is hunting for the perfect item with the perfect stats on it for your class and spec. Or hunting for Rares, Champions and Boss mobs, crafting and learning and farming. Levelling your artisans so you can craft better gear to allow you to farm higher difficulties and modify your items with gems that enhance certain stats that suit your playstyle.

I gave it my best try, but I know for a fact that I did not do the game justice, and despite my looking around for a suitable resource and a kinda "Newbs Guide to Diablo 3" website I could point him to, I couldn't find one that I felt was suitable.

So I was wondering if the DFans community would have any better ideas on how best to explain the awesomeness that is Diablo 3 to someone who has no experience with the Diablo franchise.

TL;DR - How do you convey the depth, awesomness and fun of Diablo 3 to someone who has absolutely no experience with anything from the Diablo franchise.
    Quote from zerObit

TL;DR - How do you convey the depth, awesomness and fun of Diablo 3 to someone who has absolutely no experience with anything from the Diablo franchise.

"Dis shizz is neat - google it!"

No seriously, if he compares it to WoW, then he obviosly have little-to-no experience with (action) RPGs, and I wouldn't be bothered to explain it to him. :) Let him learn it for himself. Maybe just throw him a link to a beta playthrough with commentary on Youtube.
    OFFTOPIC:
    So I was speaking to my brother-in-law on MSN, and due to the birth of his first son with my sister (it's so awesome :D:D:D I'm an uncle for the first time! :D) and in my MSN "note" thing I have "May 15th The End of Days".
    He asked me what that was about and I told him that it was the release date for Diablo 3, and that it is going to be a fantastic game, hopefully one of the best ever, in my opinion.

Then he asked me what type of game it is and what it is like to play. And although I know what type of game it is, and I know exactly how it is to play, I could not find a short and descript way of explaining Diablo 3 to him.

this^
    I thought i was reading a story of my life :D Exactly same things in my life :D without the msn ofc.
    Just show him a youtube video or two.
    heck, show him the intro video we got back in '08, with jay wilson and the thousand pounder and the siege breaker.
    I used to shoot people in the knee with arrows, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Support my photography. A hobby, but starting to make some money out of it. Brett Delport Photography

It's about the most epic stuggle of Heaven and Hell. An Eternal conflict with no clear leads or winner. It is the epitome of Magic, swords and evil. Tell him to try the beta. If you don't have beta access PM me.
    Not even Death will save you from Diablo Bunny's Cuteness!

It's about happily slaughtering stuff and getting phat l00tz
    Quote from phatosen

Quote from zerObit

"Dis shizz is neat - google it!"

No seriously, if he compares it to WoW, then he obviosly have little-to-no experience with (action) RPGs, and I wouldn't be bothered to explain it to him. :) Let him learn it for himself. Maybe just throw him a link to a beta playthrough with commentary on Youtube.

The only reason he asked if it was like WoW was because it's made by Blizzard :)

I understand where people are coming from saying "tell him to youtube it" etc. but that kinda misses the point of my post/question.

How do you explain, using words :P, what Diablo 3 is about in a simple yet descriptive way.
    Why explain in words what pictures do way better? You are already sitting on the computer chatting with eachother. ^^
    Something like:

"It's a 3rd person dungeon crawler with isometric view where the objective is to explore, kill nasty monsters, and find awesome weapons".
    hmmm something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnqZl_blT7E
    5 classes to choose from....top-down isometric view... 3D character animations with lots of flashy effects... hack & slash gameplay, lots of loot to upgrade weapons and armor...

..and if he still wonders about it, sent him to see the introduction Barb. video, with the siege-breaker...
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes