Game Difficulty

Hello Diablo Fans, I have had thoughts of making a post with gathered information about all the difficulties in Diablo III. There is a lot of people who have had trouble finding good information about the different difficulties. So this is a simple compilation of how it all works and how hard it will really be.

I will put all information in different categories. So it will be easy for you all to find the information you are looking for. The information written in this post will be for both advanced and people who are new to the game.

I would also like you all to comment if you see something wrong.

I will update this post from time to time, so you will be up-to-date if there is any change.

Background: Diablo III is soon coming out, which is the third game in the series. In Diablo II there was three difficulties Normal Nightmare and Hell. In Diablo III they added a brand new difficulty called Inferno.
    The difficulty levels are essentially identical; characters replay the same acts and quests on each. The difference comes from increased monster hit points and damage, some changes in monster variety and skills, and heaps of new, higher level equipment.
    To access this different difficulties you have to play through each one on the same character. For example; You start of at Normal with a Barbarian, when you played through all the acts. You will access a new difficulty Nightmare. You play through the game on Nightmare to unlock Hell, and from Hell to Inferno.
    “You have to this on each new character, so when you unlocked Inferno on one character, you still have to play through normal and fight your way up to Inferno with the new character you created.”

How hard will it be: The game won’t be that hard on Normal. You will have a couple of laughs with your friends. You will simply “one-shoot” monsters, kill them with one hit. Especially within the first acts.

The game wont kick-of until you start playing the game on Nightmare and higher. Since you haven’t had a chance to play the game on any other difficult then Normal. I don’t know for sure, but if Blizzard is right, you won’t be able to split up from your group if you play on a hard difficulty. You will spend tons and tons of gold on repairs.
    The Diablo team played through the same boss for hours, just because it is so hard.

There is stated that if the game will be to hard and a majority of the gamers won’t be able to make trough, for example “the last act in Hell”. Then they will consider a change to the difficulty so more people can beat it. On the other hand Inferno shall nearly be impossible to make through without a good group. So don’t expect the game to be easy, just because of all the beginners to the game that believe Nightmare is too hard.

Down below I will post two videos, one from Force and another one from the Diablo Developers. In this two videos they will talk about how hard the game will be. Just so you can get a catch of how hard the game will be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWeFyrsLqV4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06G98I4gVfs&feature=player_embedded

Gear: The differences between Normal, Nightmare, Hell and Inferno difficulties are important for anyone looking to get near the level 60, but it’s surprising just how different enemies and loot will be on higher difficulties. In fact, Blizzard revealed that 70% of the game’s loot won’t even appear in Normal mode.
    The reason is that there are a number of resistance bonuses and defensive attributes that aren’t needed on the normal difficulty.
    Item drops improve with each difficulty mode, but once you reach Inferno mode, top level items are divided into increasingly devastating tiers.

Normal: The normal difficulty
    is the easiest one of the four available difficulties. Characters that are created will be placed in this difficulty. When you play normal you will have a couples of laughs. It's fun and you are clicking around. Bosses wont be that hard until the end of the difficulties. Though; It's stated that you have a chance of dying if the group splits up in the later "The end" of the normal difficulty.

Nightmare: Still Looking for great information about this difficulty.

Hell: Still Looking for great information about this difficulty

Inferno: Blizzard say that Inferno difficulty is designed to always provide a challenge. It will be possible to run it solo because the followers will scale with the different acts and difficulties.
    You die and fight through Act 1 in Inferno for weeks before you can move on. Just so you can gather better gear. Inferno is for those who thrive on extreme punishment. Featuring monsters with a minimum level of 61, this mode is aimed at players who have maxed out their character at the level 60 cap. Blizzard promises you that how good you are at games, you will still die in Inferno. When you get to Inferno the monsters will surprise you with different abilities that you’ve never seen before.

Updates:

Inferno monster levels aren't linear any longer. They get progressively more difficult. This was really a reaction to Inferno playtesting. Our original intent was to have a flat difficulty level where you could go wherever you want, farm for items, and it'd be no more or less difficult than any other area in Inferno.

Answers on questions:
    Not everyone is going to get to Inferno. I thought Blizzard said a while back that most players will quit after Normal? So...rather than letting everyone play around with rank 1 runes and at least see the various effects you aren't going to let them see them at all?
    Totally! Reward for more invested players, and very likely a way to entice players not to just stop at Normal.

To be honest the repetitive difficulty levels in Diablo games is not a very straightforward mechanic. Plenty of games have difficulty levels, but there are only a handful that use them as progression. If we can communicate the intent of the game to people by showing unlocks in future difficulty levels, maybe we can get more people to play beyond Normal.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Jay, can you name one extremely deadly monster attribute combination on an Inferno rare mob or champion pack? Thanks!
    Fought a vortex/Waller/illusionist/molten combo today that kicked a lot of ass. - Jay Wilson
    In fact, Blizzard revealed that 70% of the game’s loot won’t even appear in Normal mode.

Given that 75% of the game is post-normal, doesn't this seem like something you'd not want to trumpet?
    Quote from lorien1973

In fact, Blizzard revealed that 70% of the game’s loot won’t even appear in Normal mode.

Given that 75% of the game is post-normal, doesn't this seem like something you'd not want to trumpet?

Thanks, I'd appreciate a link too your information.
    Good topic mate,when the game is out maybe you can update the first post with what kind of loot will be available on different difficulty levels..with the added spoiler ahead of them of course.
    Tumbling, burning with white hot fire, I plunged into the depths of the abyss. Unspeakable pain, relentless agony, time ceased to exist. Only this torture and a deepening hatred of the hypocrisy that damned me to this hell. An eternity passed and my torment receded, bringing me back from the precipice of madness. The descent had destroyed me. Yet, I lived.
    Quote from Gazziwa

Quote from lorien1973

Thanks, I'd appreciate a link too your information.

4 difficulties, 3/4 = 75%
    And in "time-spent" it's probably more than 75%
    You already have a thread on this, please do not post the same thing over, and just edit your other thread

http://www.diablofan...ked-in-inferno/
    That opening post is so hard to read, because it's just a bunch of sensationalist judgment:
    "The game won’t be that hard on Normal."
    "The game wont kick-of until you start playing the game on Nightmare and higher."
    "You will spend tons and tons of gold on repairs."
    "top level items are divided into increasingly devastating tiers."

Some players might be interested in facts. In what way being level 60 and fighting a level 61 monster is different compared to being 50 and fighting level 51 monster? This game is graphics on top of arithmetic engine. Dealing 10 damage to monster with 100 HP is just the same as dealing 1000 damage to monster with 10000 HP. It doesn't say anything about scaling difficulty.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes