Melee in Inferno

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I'll throw the question:
    Anyone else feels like melee characters could be at a disadvantage in inferno vs range characters? (For a solo player)

From the way blizzard is describing it, we will die alot and it will be extremely hard. Wouldn't it be way easier for range characters since they can kite champion packs and just stay away while the barbarian or monk as to be upfront to beat on them?

I'd like to know what you guys think about that.
    Signature
    They introduced new type of monsters, like teleporters, wallers, vortexers, nigthmare in order to make ranged character's life much harder. So it won't be hard to get near to you and kill you very easily. Also monk and barb will start with an innate 30% dmg reduction.
    Yeah, unless a pack rushes you into a corner and decimates you. Don't forget that some champion packs will have skills that trap, slow, fear, and do other crappy things to players. Casters will be good against those who don't, but shit's going to be hard for everyone.
    Been wondering the exact same thing. I narrowed down my class choice to either Barb or DH quite a while ago, and every day it's looking more and more like DH will be my final choice. Mainly because I want to finish Inferno without having to farm gear for months on end, which sadly I feel will be the case of the Barbarian. Unless you group up and tank, of cource, but I don't want to be relying on having a group of good players in order to play.

It's tricky, cause it's kinda hard to predict without actually getting to Inferno.
    Quote from takacs86

They introduced new type of monsters, like teleporters, wallers, vortexers, nigthmare in order to make ranged character's life much harder. So it won't be hard to get near to you and kill you very easily. Also monk and barb will start with an innate 30% dmg reduction.

Two good points that I hadn't considered. Still, do you think it's enough? I don't see either of those abilities as a threat to someone who has lots of slow/teleport/stun/kiting abilities, and 30% damage reduction against Inferno... hmmm...
    I'm not in the beta, but I'm also gonna choose between Barb or DH, I'll be disapointed if having to farm hell for months is the only way while a DH can manage to take down groups just by kiting. I guess blizzard will probably make a lot of changes once people reach inferno amd see how it goes.
    Signature
    Quote from Scyldragon

Quote from takacs86

Two good points that I hadn't considered. Still, do you think it's enough? I don't see either of those abilities as a threat to someone who has lots of slow/teleport/stun/kiting abilities, and 30% damage reduction against Inferno... hmmm...

Wish I could tell how it plays in inferno already, but haven't played it yet :D Back to your points it's really hard to tell what's gonna happen when we get to inferno. It all comes down how skilled you are and familiar with your toon's abilites, and ofc what gear you're wearing.
    im sure im not the only one to make a tank barb build like this:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bcVkig!VdX!YZcbaa
    uses sword/shield and has 5 sources of life regen/leech
    Well just on normal fat guy can teleport right next to you and explode. I expect that if you throw some other affixes on top of teleporting and it would spell quite a lot of trouble for ranged.

On Inferno certainly you will not be able to simply run away from the monsters. The monsters will be faster then you, without slowing/stunning etc. I'm actually thinking that the monk and barb will have the advantage. Being that most of the monsters are melee and will want to run up to you. And monk/barb will naturally be balanced to take the damage from being in melee (30% etc.). And the few ranged mobs shouldn't be a problem given that they will generally do less damage then melee mobs. And unless they start running away and kiting the player they will be easily dealt with, comparatively.

The Champions will also not be as susceptible to roots, stuns and frozen CC. So they will be a lot harder to kite and deal with as ranged.
    I think melee will have an advantage over ranged.
    Quote from Xorkrikk

The Champions will also not be as susceptible to roots, stuns and frozen CC. So they will be a lot harder to kite and deal with as ranged.

What are you basing that statement on?

EDIT: On nevermind, you said all stun effects pretty much, not the slow... I was getting worried for kiting classes there, seriously.
    Barbs also have a lot potential for exploiting life leech, and that combined with the damage reduction will give them relatively the same survivability as ranged classes that can kite, especially considering mobs' teleport/fear/stun/etc abilities
    i would choose my own religion and worship my own spirit, but if he ever preached to me i wouldn't want to hear it. i'd drop him, a forgotten god, languishing in shame; and then if i hit stormy seas, i'd have myself to blame. Zhaph#1849
    You'd be surprised at the challenge ranged face dealing with champion packs. I was leveling a DH last beta patch (before they buffed damage in 15) and I almost died to a pack of champion scavengers outside of the northwest gate. I couldn't slow them with Caltrops. I had to run back to the gate and have the guards help me kill them.

It was the closest I've ever come to dying in beta.
    monks also have evasion spells and barbs have armor/life boosting spells. i think inferno would be harder with ranged than melee because they are so squishhhh
    Based on the older statements from Blizz that Barb had a hard time surviving in "later difficulties" and the recent 30% innate damage reduction to Barb and Monk, I would be inclined to agree with you.

On the other hand, after seeing the new affixes such as Jailer and Waller, I'm beginning to think melee classes will have less trouble in Inferno because they won't have to worry about trying to get away all the time.
    "She's an absolute. Why just this last week I was. Ok look. I'm. Just take my advice." -Ungrien
    If anything it will probably be easier for melee now.
    Is there even any difficult champion buffs for melee now?
    Do you want to get scammed? Perhaps a nice keylogger?
    "Just google "diablo 3 gold guide" and magical rainbow covered demons will assault your eyes."
    Quote from Mysticjbyrd

First one I thought of was Molten. Nightmarish could be another.

Anything short-range or on-hit, really.
    I think ranged will have a tougher time in Inferno, because they will struggle to keep their distance from the mobs.
    Melee will be able to deal with a couple of hits atleast , where ranged classes will be pretty much fucked if they get teleported into a nasty group of champs. This is just speculation of course, but I guess this is the case. I plan on playing a Monk and even if Inferno is as hard as I imagine he will probably be one of the easier classes, thanks to all his heals (available from skills, runes and passives), his immunity shield, no cooldown dash and all his other defensive cooldowns. Havn't had a real good look at the Barb skills but I think he is a bit more limited by cooldowns and overall much more offensive compared to the Monk.
    It will be fine, Blizzard have been playing this game for long enough now, they know what needs to be done hence the 30% dmg reduction for barbs and monks.

There hardly going to ship the game knowing that if your a barb or monk going into inferno your not going to be able to do it.
    Quote from aldrek

Quote from Mysticjbyrd

First one I thought of was Molten. Nightmarish could be another.

Anything short-range or on-hit, really.

But all you have to do is not stand in the fire....Ranged can't predict where mobs will teleport.
    Do you want to get scammed? Perhaps a nice keylogger?
    "Just google "diablo 3 gold guide" and magical rainbow covered demons will assault your eyes."
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes