what is the purpose of farming

Ok so, i recently learned that diablo is all about farming, and thats fine.

But i cant ignore the question popping into my head: why!

Hypotheticly; say i beat inferno in my tier 13 set, why would i keep farming to get my 14-15-16 set?
    I keep thinking and thinking but i cant come up with a solid reason.

The only things i can think of is PvP, or purely to look badass and kick even more ass then with my 13 set.

I never was a hardcore D2 player so i might miss something important, plz help me out here :)
    Everything that is the something of the something, its not really the anything of anything
    money money money moeny money money money
    Witch Doctor Inferno Soloing - Pre 1.0.3
    http://www.diablofan...inferno-videos/
    What is the purpose of living? Answer that and you'll have your answer to your question.

EDIT: in other words why are you asking such an open ended question? If you need a purpose in what you do, your choice of video game playing is...... interesting.
    Playing Diablo since 97. I know nothing and having nothing good to say, I be a troll.
    Quote from WorstNorthEverrr

Hypotheticly; say i beat inferno in my tier 13 set

Hypothetically, say you dont beat inferno in your tier 13 set
    Therein lies your answer.
    You're going to do it, but only a psychologist can tell you why.
    "She's an absolute. Why just this last week I was. Ok look. I'm. Just take my advice." -Ungrien

Hypotheticly; say i beat inferno in my tier 13 set, why would i keep farming to get my 14-15-16 set?

The only things i can think of is PvP, or purely to look badass and kick even more ass then with my 13 set.

I never was a hardcore D2 player so i might miss something important, plz help me out here :)

It's like with money, you can never have enough :)
    To answer your question. People usually farm for better gear to be able to farm faster and find good gear for their new characters.
    And many of us do not want D3 to be about farming. It supposed to be about challenge. If you like this kind of game you want to look really badass and to be able to kill huge amount of mobs on the highest level with a single blow (and not to beat to death one mob for 15 sec - 5 min like in WoW). On top of it D3 game play is fluid so you want to kill, kill and kill even more and faster to calm your rage :) Kinda like people going into WoW more to talk with their guild m8s or other ppl but different. Here you talk to demons with your axe, buhahaha. So yes, when thinking of Diablo think arcade and all will become clear like full moon on a pitch black sky ;)
    Like Xago said, for farmers, it's all about selling what you can as fast as you can. There is a potential to make a lot of money in the RMAH.
    real life example: if you're BARELY able to pay your bills each month living on a dead-end job at minimum wage, why wouldnt you look for something better? sure right now youre surviving..... but wouldnt you want more? same thing in any video game: better yourself
    Quote from rozmata

It's like with money, you can never have enough :)
    To answer your question. People usually farm for better gear to be able to farm faster and find good gear for their new characters.
    And many of us do not want D3 to be about farming. It supposed to be about challenge. If you like this kind of game you want to look really badass and to be able to kill huge amount of mobs on the highest level with a single blow (and not to beat to death one mob for 15 sec - 5 min like in WoW). On top of it D3 game play is fluid so you want to kill, kill and kill even more and faster to calm your rage :) Kinda like people going into WoW more to talk with their guild m8s or other ppl but different. Here you talk to demons with your axe, buhahaha. So yes, when thinking of Diablo think arcade and all will become clear like full moon on a pitch black sky ;)

this is actually the awnser i was looking for really, it makes more sense now. thx :)
    Everything that is the something of the something, its not really the anything of anything
    i'll farm to get better gear, even if i dont "need" it for inferno, its about getting better at slaughtering monsters
    "Click on everything that moves until it blows up in bloody chunks and treasure"
    -Kevin Martens
    for the expansion, duh
    To practice for Diablo 4
    Afaik, getting perfect gear for your character/build will take a lot of time unless you're lucky with the drops since everything in this game is random. It's about killing stuff and then getting better to kill MORE stuff. Then getting better to kill stuff faster and easier. At least that's how I see D2.

It's a nice formula that never gets old and it worked for so many years. And it will work even better in D3 because of the Auction House.

Just my 2¢.
    i think you underestimate the rarity of things. its all completely random. if you are comparing it to wow that has specific drops for each boss, its not going to be anything like that. even wearing a t16 item you will almost always always have room for improvement. you are going to finish each difficulty with absolute crap gear that wont work well enough in the next difficulty to make the game any easier. you wont be casually looking for a small upgrade most of the time, you will be starving for anything that can help you survive better. and item upgrades for each of your characters is a mark of the rpg, and lends to the overall feeling of progression. the item hunt never ends, its similar to what gamblers feel, just one more throw, just one more boss.
    Quote from Benegesserit

for the expansion, duh

this ^ made me giggle (kinda as I'm physically incapable of giggling ;P )
    it's all about gore. As far as your whole screen is not covered by monsters' guts and blood, you know you still need better gear :D
    PvP is definitely a factor for a lot of people, too. I think it's also just fun and exciting to see new items pop up.
    The reason is because you want it. You want dat loot.

Or maybe you don't want it, and you just wanted to beat the game on Inferno. Maybe that's your goal. If so, then goal accomplished. You can stop playing until you feel like booting DIII up again.
    i dont like farming and never farmed in any game, but if killing those rare mobs is fun and challenging i will do that all day long and dont consider that farming or if i can pvp while grinding but then i´m actually more pvping.

Who said you can beat inferno with a tier 13 set?:)

The item hunt is a big part of the game, trading and collecting gear for your other characters, some enjoy it, some see it as pointless, i was never much of the item hunter when it comes to softcore, i always felt like there was no meaning, but in hardcore it had a lot of meaning since i collected gear for my next character, sooner or later you die :)

I also enjoyed trading in diablo 2, that has been ruined and made quite unpersonal in Diablo 3 though, still... i love the item hunt, but not when there isn't any consequence/risk losing them.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes