Powergaming

Poll: Are you a powergamer?

Are you a powergamer? - Single Choice

• A what? 11.8%
  • No 10.6%
  • In a sense 35.3%
  • All the way! 42.4%
    The only true way to play games, for me, and in my opinion, is to play them as efficiently as possible. Efficiency is measured by how well a player reaches the ultimate goal of the game. In Diablo III, there are two different goals I can think of: having as good a character as possible, and making as much profit from the (RM)AH as possible.

Gear and selected skills are not the only indication of a good character, but also how well a player plays that character. Because of this, the player must master the mechanics of the game and use them to his advantage. Things come down to gaining play experience by simply playing a lot, and to theorycrafting, or at the very least using the results that other players have discovered by it.

Having a good character in Diablo III can only be measured in one way: How fast the character can gather quality loot. This is the product of his killing speed, movement speed, magic find, gold find, etc., each with a certain weight factor, which I unfortunately can't give you just yet. ;)

If I didn't make any sense, Wikipedia has a good definition for powergaming.

I play games for fun, just like everyone else — but powergaming is fun for me. Are you a powergamer?
    I said "in a sense"

Why?

Because I tend to powergame. But then I realize that I'm doing it. And realize that in a few weeks I will be burnt out. So I try to contain myself and relax a bit and take things a bit more slowly.

Yes, definitely. If I didn't want to have the best loot possible or have the maximum profit possible, I wouldn't play it.
    Powergaming sounds kind of douchey. Like someone who does the Dew.
    Tbh I find this relies a lot on the game. For instance I raided hardcore in wow and to some extend I do play to improve when I play starcraft but I get tired from playing sc2 rather fast so I'm not truely playing to reach grandmaster. For future games I think I will prob stick a bit in the middle possibly trying to optimise in diablo but for games like gw2 I feel like it's more of a general sense of I have fun while doing it. So really some games sure but other games I don't feel "powergaming" is the best way to go about it
    Quote from A1win

Having a good character in Diablo III can only be measured in one way: How fast the character can gather quality loot. This is the product of his killing speed, movement speed, magic find, gold find, etc., each with a certain weight factor

Don't forget about the gigantic random factor of Diablo. If one player kills faster, moves faster, has greater MF, GF and so on, doesn't mean the character can gather quality loot faster or more efficiently.

But yes, to an extant I am a powergamer. It always feels good to get the most out of a game as you can, but then again, friendship and community and stuff tie in sometimes which is also another big part of my gaming scene.
    "Not even death, can save you from me."
    The first week I plan to game out... after that I will have to pace a bit more due to work schedule. :(

-Temp
    Quote from KehrBehr
    It always feels good to get the most out of a game as you can, but then again, friendship and community and stuff tie in sometimes which is also another big part of my gaming scene.

Nothing better than to do powergaming with friends, then. ^^
    Quote from A1win

Quote from KehrBehr
    It always feels good to get the most out of a game as you can, but then again, friendship and community and stuff tie in sometimes which is also another big part of my gaming scene.

Nothing better than to do powergaming with friends, then. ^^

Haha, true true. I was referring to maybe helping some friends who aren't really powergamers, but then again, whilst helping them, i can convince them to join the powergaming side ^_^
    "Not even death, can save you from me."
    Always a perfectionist. Try to get the best as fast as possible.
    "Just quit and wait for GW2"
    I just play to have fun!

Honestly I used to be a powergamer in a sense through WoW and just got burned out on it. Now I find myself playing games much more casually. If I get stressed out over a game or find it too difficult I'll normally find something else to play.
    I just play games to have fun. so thats a 'no' for me.
    I play games like D3 that way, online games.

Solo games, not at all.
    What does powergaming mean in practice? Are you not playing the game unless you're absolutely sure that the way you're playing is most effective, making you spend bulk of your time theoretizing about possibilities. If it's just simple like changing items for better ones as you pick them up, aren't we all doing that? Does powergaming imply unhealthy and antisocial playing habits, like repetitively grinding some boss or area, or playing in long streaks without breaks?
    When I try to "powergame," I end up getting burnt out and not enjoying the game. When I just try to have fun, I have fun. Sometimes, when trying to have fun, I end up doing things similar to powergaming. So.. it really depends on what I'm trying to do.
    When I grow up, I want to be a frill-necked lizard.
    My Goodness the terms we have these days!

Lets see, aparrently i used to be an Ungamer, because i spent most of my time tweaking my pc, not playing games.
    Then i thought i was a "social Gamer" coz i would only play wow if my mates were on (it is NOT a single player game lol, at least for fun)
    Now if i spend 2 weeks on diabo 3 with as little breaks as possible i thought i would be a Hardcore gamer.
    Whats this power gamer bizzo?

Remember when there was just Rock, and Metal?

Imagine Aggressive Post-Punk new wave Gamers?

If i wear a Ripped denim Jacket can i be a Hair Gamer?
    OLSEN TWINS?! KILL!!
    I am in a sense. When I used to play Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn in my teens, I ended up only wanting to play the most powerful heroes who could solo the game like Kensai-Mage or Sorcerer --- I sacrificed the amazing storyline and interesting interaction between the NPCs to build the perfect killing machine. And in D2 I became obsessed with trying to build the perfect hero with the perfect gear --- definitely unhealthy due to the ridiculous amount of time that takes. I'm hoping my D3 experience will be more causal, with my competitive needs being satisfied with Dota 2.
    well i mostly play to relax after work and have some fun but i still play to win. but i would never rage if i lose some game thats just childish (see the whole League of Legends ommunity)
    Unfortunately, I'm taking D3 so seriously that I couldn't allow myself to play casually. I wish I could, I really do but it's just not feasible. I will be the power gamer when this title finally hits.
    Complete D3 Coverage [YT Channel]:
    http://huntersc.tv
    Quote from Tempest07

The first week I plan to game out... after that I will have to pace a bit more due to work schedule. :(

-Temp

I'm in the same boat.
    The first week will consist of around 8 hours a day as I've booked it off work. After that, I'll be back down to 2 or maximum 3.

Thanks Aranoch for the sig!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes