A few hints/secrets/goodies (No Lore Spoilers) from the Beta

So I've played the beta alot, i have all the achievements and all the characters at level 13 (max level in the beta) so i've spend some time making a little list of interesting/peculiar things in the Diablo 3 beta that i've come across!

If you kill an undead monster with Holy damage, it's "corpse" will fade away very fast after its death
    -
    Shrines now affect all party members if they are close to the shrine when it's being activated (unlike diablo 2 where only the user got the shrine buff)
    -
    Different shrines stack with eachother, but you can't have multiple of the same type of shrine active.
    -
    There are Journals you can find, which gives you some background info about certain characers and lore in Diablo, different journals can drop with each different playthrough, it won't always be the same journals everytime, so if you wanna know everything, you have to play through the story and find all the journals, same goes for some optional quests :)
    -
    You can find a Black Mushroom which does nothing, and cannot be sold, It's most likely a referance to a quest from Diablo 1, but it could also be a future quest for later in the game.
    -
    You can place a banner (Default "G") at your cursors location, the banner seems to do nothing and it disappears after a few seconds. You can customize the look of your banner in the character menu.
    -
    There's a character in the town who you can talk to about "Recieving a blessing", he doesn't actually give you a blessing (buff) of any kind, he just heal you, which is not very obvious as you will rarely be in the town without having full health (atleast not in the beta)
    -
    You cannot use followers while you are playing with other players, followers are only for singleplayer, but they do seem to gain XP even when you aren't using them because of a multiplayer game.
    -
    EDIT: More info.
    Loot drops are individual, you cannot see eachothers loot, unless the person picks it up and then drops it again (doesn't occur if you dont have enough space and you just throw the item in the air saying "Not enough room" etc., so no panicing) So if you're playing with a Witch Doctor and you are on your Barbarian, and you find a very good Witch Doctor item, you won't have to let him know, and you go rush off to the AH and sell it.. You bastard :)

That's all for now, hope you like it. If any other people have some interesting not-so-obvious goodies, then feel free to share :)
    thx for the info mate :) pretty cool that the undead vanishes after being cleansed with holy dmg. Guess ill be doing a lot of journal hunting ^^
    Yes thanks for that, its nice to know these little tit bits of info that is easily missed. I was looking around yesterday on other sites and came across some game play info that I did not know. It was a preview of the game and I guess it was a bit dated because I think it goes all the way back to Blizzcon.

This guy was talking about fighting in the desert so I would guess act 2, he said he came across a cave or dungeon and that when he went in the roof started to collapse and a timer appeared and he had 4 minutes to loot as much as he could and find the exit before getting crushed. He did not say any more on what happened if you did not make it but I find this really cool.

I am usually not keen on timed events but this adds something completely different to the game and it really excites me to wonder what else is there in the game that know one has a clue about at this stage.

This is why it makes me laugh when people make assumptions and conjectures about the game based on the Beta when the whole game once revealed will throw everything they had said in the trash bin.

I am sorry for adding this to the thread but I did not see this any where else with out starting a new post.
    Only good Demon is a dead Demon!!!
    - Picking up the lore books gives you 120XP

- You can salvage vendor purchased items - in WoW you can't do this, which is what I'm used to

- The Monk "3rd special attack" is a shared combo across his skills - so if you use Attack1, Attack1, Attack2.... you the Attack2 will be instantly special.

- "Thorns" gear is overpowered in Beta.... if you stack it you can insta-kill the smaller demons who hit you.

- If you're using a mercenary (eg Templar) you can press "F" and assign him specific skills (like a heal).

- If you're trying to do a speed run, get to know the shapes of the rooms on the map. Certain types of rooms will *always* be dead-ends, so you can skip them faster as you get to know the shapes.

- When you see a stat like "+2-3 Fire Damage", that's already included in the weapons DPS figure. Don't sit there number crunching!

- I like to remap my keys to QWER for my skills and 1234 for my potions/town port, etc. It keeps your fingers closer to S (for skills), R (for whispers), ctrl/alt (for showing loot on the ground) and spacebar (for skipping quest text, movies, etc).

Hope this helps and if anyone has any corrections please let me know!
    Quote from Reebz

- It's better to have less "+Gold" or "+Magic Item" gear with bigger percentages than lots of gear with smaller percentages because it multiplies out. So it's best to wear 2 items of 15% each, rather than 6 items of 5% each.

Can anyone confirm this is valid in the beta? In D2 the source of the MF/GF didn't matter, just the final number added up. It wasn't stacking multiplicatively.
    Not only that but 1.05^6 > 1.15^2
    ... 1.3401 > 1.3225
    Quote from Keiser

Quote from Reebz

- It's better to have less "+Gold" or "+Magic Item" gear with bigger percentages than lots of gear with smaller percentages because it multiplies out. So it's best to wear 2 items of 15% each, rather than 6 items of 5% each.

Can anyone confirm this is valid in the beta? In D2 the source of the MF/GF didn't matter, just the final number added up. It wasn't stacking multiplicatively.
    ... 1.3401 > 1.3225

It's not true. All the percent Gold find / Magic find you have will be added together. If you have 5 items with 5% MF it will be 5+5+5+5+5 and then 25% MF, same as if you had 1 item with 25% MF.. You have a stat window showing your stats, and it indicates that that's how it works. I just checked it on my MF Barbarian :) Calculated all his items by adding them together, it was 84, and the stat window says i have 84% MF, i dont see why it would work in any other way, and i don't know how it would be statistically possible to test it in the beta.. The only explaination would be if you knew that it was actually coded in that way..

Also they are implementing a new system.. Magic find / Gold find / EXP boost will be shared as an average among the whole party. But they stated that it will work in the same way (Eg. 3 players in a game, one player has 75% MF, the 2 others have 0%, so all players have 25% MF during that game.. - Which kinda sucks for the guy with 75% MF)

Also Thorns gear is not overpowered.. If you stack damage you can 1 hit any monster (in the beta), and since you hit alot faster (and have AOE) then killing monsters with your own damage will be alot faster than waiting for them to hit you in order to die..

And yes picking up -some- lore books in the beginning gives you 120 Xp, it depends what books it is, books later on gives more XP
    Quote from Keiser

Quote from Reebz

... 1.3401 > 1.3225

Currently in the beta it is additive, so the original quote is wrong (verified by watching 'details' screen). If I have one item with 15% it's the same as having 3 items with 5%.
    The beta is spliced together. You can tell by looking for Leah's Journal. Only part 1 and 3 exist, part 2 must exist in the middle, but not in beta.
    Quote from Solastus

Quote from Keiser

Quote from Reebz

... 1.3401 > 1.3225

Currently in the beta it is additive, so the original quote is wrong (verified by watching 'details' screen). If I have one item with 15% it's the same as having 3 items with 5%.

Thanks for the feedback, I've removed that point from my original list.
    Surprised no one has mentioned the easter egg of the original opening for hell in Diablo 1 yet,
    I just want a little bit of tenderness :(

Quote from MandyMemory

The beta is spliced together. You can tell by looking for Leah's Journal. Only part 1 and 3 exist, part 2 must exist in the middle, but not in beta.

Part 2 contains a spoiler, thats why :P

Quote from Phaxey

Also Thorns gear is not overpowered.. If you stack damage you can 1 hit any monster (in the beta), and since you hit alot faster (and have AOE) then killing monsters with your own damage will be alot faster than waiting for them to hit you in order to die..

I think it's pretty OP..... As a Barb with good health and Thorns stacked, it's faster for me to just sit in the middle of a huge pack of Demons & collect health globes and let them hit me than it is for me to attack with an AoE.
    Quote from Aerisot

Surprised no one has mentioned the easter egg of the original opening for hell in Diablo 1 yet,

Can you elaborate? I've not heard of this.

There are a few minor mishaps, likeWirts bridge is now Northwest instead of Northeast of hell's entrance.

Look where hell is on the map, its the same distance away.

Tristram is to the right of the map in this Screenshot, its just blocked by tree's which have grown in the last 20-25 years

Wirts bridge is exactly the same distance away as well, there have just been more buildings built inbetween Old tristram and new tristram

- The Monk "3rd special attack" is a shared combo across his skills - so if you use Attack1, Attack1, Attack2.... you the Attack2 will be instantly special.

:o!! DId not know this!!

My little tidbit

The guy who gives you a blessing also spouts the end days prophecy that changes slightly if you're playing a male or female.

Male goes something like
    "A monarch from the east will start a reign that starts with blood and ends with bone. In the light of the comet he will be defeated a third and final time by a true man!"

Women goes something like
    ""A monarch from the east will start a reign that starts with blood and ends with bone. In the light of the comet he will be defeated a third and final time by a choosen woman!"

EDIT:
    Tristram is to the right of the map in this Screenshot, its just blocked by tree's which have grown in the last 20-25 years

So THATS what that orange glow is? The gateway to hell? I was wondering about that.
    Quote from Reebz

Quote from Phaxey

I think it's pretty OP..... As a Barb with good health and Thorns stacked, it's faster for me to just sit in the middle of a huge pack of Demons & collect health globes and let them hit me than it is for me to attack with an AoE.

It was not different in D2 in the beginning. With monsters having around 1-2 HP they will almost always kill themselves. Don't expect that to be the case in later acts.
    Quote from MandyMemory

Yea, before the salvaging cube was removed, the quest to get it "killing haedrigs wife" seeme spliced together. You talk to him and hes all sad about his wife, and then SUDDENLY he does a 180 and is like "lets go kill her!"

This guy was talking about fighting in the desert so I would guess act 2, he said he came across a cave or dungeon and that when he went in the roof started to collapse and a timer appeared and he had 4 minutes to loot as much as he could and find the exit before getting crushed. He did not say any more on what happened if you did not make it but I find this really cool.

I am usually not keen on timed events but this adds something completely different to the game and it really excites me to wonder what else is there in the game that know one has a clue about at this stage.

Wow, that is freakin awesome! And the code for timed events is in place as you can see from the jar of souls event. Im even more excited now!
    Quote from MandyMemory

Actually, the Part 2 journal for Leah has a very narrow window to receive it. After you kill the Wretched Queen and return to New Tristram from Old Tristram, you can go into Leah's room and pick up the second Journal. But I believe you have to turn in the quest first before you can pick it up.

And I always thought that red glow was the original entrance to Hell in D1. I was curious about it because I saw it every time in the Beta.
    I don't always burn. But when I do, I use hellfire.
    Part 2 of Leah's journal does exist. You can get it by going into her room after she's following you to go to adria's hut. She has two different dialogs when you enter her room too. She will either say "This is my room, what do you think?" or "What are we doing in my room?"

here's a screenshot to confirm.
    http://tinypic.com/r/14jvt6b/5
    Quote from Reebz

You're partially right. :) The monk will always attack in combos of 3. So it's always attack1, attack2, attack3. Unless you wait too long between strikes, of course. To best see this, Equip Fists of Thunder, Deadly Reach (with trident rune makes it easier to see), and Exploding Palm. Attack with each one in sequence.

For example, FoT -> DR -> EP. The first attack will be the first punch from FoT, the 2nd strike will be the V-formation Trident-Reach attack, and the 3rd hit will be the Exploding Palm explosion. You can test this with any combination of strikes and you'll see that each one is in the correct position in the combo.

Quote from Aerisot

I honestly thought that light was a bug, it had been reported as one before. It might be the whole thing is intended to glow instead of the odd looking 'shaft of light'

Quote from Ichijou

Part 2 of Leah's journal does exist. You can get it by going into her room after she's following you to go to adria's hut. She has two different dialogs when you enter her room too. She will either say "This is my room, what do you think?" or "What are we doing in my room?"

here's a screenshot to confirm.
    http://tinypic.com/r/14jvt6b/5

Thanks for that information, I'm going to look into that.
    Diablo 3 playthroughs and guides via Kagekaze's Domain or Twitch TV
    Come on by and comment on YouTube or chat on Twitch, twitch chat is often watched
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes