Imagine the beta hadn't started till Patch 13

Disclaimer: Not in the beta. All I've seen are live streams lets plays etc.

What if the beta hadn't started till patch 13? Free your mind of all that come before it and focus on how it would have felt if the first beta patch of the game you'd tried had been this last one. Runes, skill swapping were all as they are now from the get-go.

Would you love it? Would you hate it? Would it make any difference to the arguments for and against certain changes?

I get the feeling Blizz might have opened beta too soon. If we'd (I wish) all got in after patch 13 I think opinions might have been very different.
    "I don't hold with looking at the future... But now I think the future's looking at me. And I don't like its expression."
    Granny Weatherwax.
    Well its not only about beta IMO, you should have consider no info on website no info on blizzcon, no datamined info, no detailed official site. (because many of that info is changed/scrapped now)
    So basically you would have receive nothing from 4 years. That is equal to no hype ;p
    If the beta client wasn't out there'd be less datamined info, and we'd still be hyped - but it would have been more 'gief beta' hype. Closed beta with an NDA up to patch 13 perhaps and then the first wave.

What I want to know is how it would feel if that was the first generally available beta version of the game. Would the changes have made as much of an impact, or not?
    "I don't hold with looking at the future... But now I think the future's looking at me. And I don't like its expression."
    Granny Weatherwax.
    I like all the changes they're making, so sure, I think it would have been fine to wait until patch 13 to release a playable beta... then again, I'm not in the beta, either. ;)
    i would choose my own religion and worship my own spirit, but if he ever preached to me i wouldn't want to hear it. i'd drop him, a forgotten god, languishing in shame; and then if i hit stormy seas, i'd have myself to blame. Zhaph#1849
    I don't really think my opinion would have been that different. It's a beta test, you know things will change when you played it. Say, you were the first person to play the beta, you had to know it was still pretty early in the making of the game. I mean, sure, it would probably have some bugfixes, new/improved features and maybe some graphical improvements/changes in the later patch, but if I played it in an early patch, i would know it was still a work in progress.
    people are gona hate changes

look at men when their GF/Wife sits us down for a chat about change, we freak out as if were so important

people will get over it when its live
    Quote from FreddyBenson

people are gona hate changes

look at men when their GF/Wife sits us down for a chat about change, we freak out as if were so important

people will get over it when its live

That's exactly what I think is the problem. People sat in front of the beta, and it worked in a particular way. This was their first taste of D3 and they were exited to be there and loving it. Sure there was some stuff they didn't like, a few bugs to report. But then patches hit and things changed. And the haters hated because it was a change.

What if the first thing everyone had seen was this patch? I don't think there would have been as much hate. Seriously. I think there would have been the same overwhelming 'this is awesome' response from the majority of players.
    Granny Weatherwax.
    I believe it would be for the best; people naturally hate change. Even if it's change they haven't even gotten their hands on to test yet. I can't count the number of people (who aren't even in the beta) who hype themselves up over a particular feature they have NO familiarity with, and then (when that decision inevitably gets reversed by blizzard) go into an utter rage about said feature they've never even touched before being removed. 'BLIZZARD Y U TAEK MY TOYS AWAY!?!?'
    Quote from Burzghash

I believe it would be for the best; people naturally hate change. Even if it's change they haven't even gotten their hands on to test yet. I can't count the number of people (who aren't even in the beta) who hype themselves up over a particular feature they have NO familiarity with, and then (when that decision inevitably gets reversed by blizzard) go into an utter rage about said feature they've never even touched before being removed. 'BLIZZARD Y U TAEK MY TOYS AWAY!?!?'

Yes; if they hadn't experienced an earlier iteration of the feature, if it had been there from the start, the outcry either simply wouldn't happen or would be so few voices as to hardly be noticable. Because it was one way at the start and has changed now, it follows that the change is bad. Looking at it objectively (as far as I can without playing) patch 13 content is good. I'm liking what I see, and I'm going to enjoy playing what I see. It makes absolutely no difference what went before. I couldn't provide feedback on it then, and I can't now.

Perhaps not having the beta is an advantage to objectivity after all.
    Granny Weatherwax.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes