Is Deckard Cain immortal?

No it is unlikely that he is immortal. Leah, if i remember right, takes on his role in a sense. Its sad, Cain was a good character.
    "Edit" Apparently he is supposed to appear in D3. I really need to get caught up, wonder if he will survive or die in the game.
    What is this thing called "real life?" Is that some sort of expansion pack?
    Quote from Siaynoq

Derrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Nnnnnderrrrr!!!

I approve of this response.

Quote from ZenX

I speculate he had died around the time between either D1-D2 or after the meteor crash, and anyway what we've came to known so far after those events was Belial, the Lord of Lies, who is to make his appearance in Act 2 of D3.

...or being the last of the Horadrim he did wield some untapped and potent power that had made him last through all these, maybe he was Jarod Cain all along, and had been pretending to be his descendant to watch diablo ever closely, would have been interesting to see him and Diablo sharing the final blow of the saga.

What a twist!
    Cain survives. The second quest in Act 1 (available in Beta) is to save him in the cathedral.
    "No one will remember if the game is late, only if it's great" ~Jay Wilson

Quote from Frank2312

Cain survives. The second quest in Act 1 (available in Beta) is to save him in the cathedral.

Some of us do know that, yet it is also highly absurd for an old, supposedly fragile man who is hardly able to move in the trailer to survive the crash of an accelerated burning object, would want to say meteor, but we also do know that it is not a stone in the conventional sense...

Nevertheless, I'm quoting myself:

Quote from ZenX

I speculate he had died around the time between either D1-D2 or after the meteor crash, and anyway what we've came to known so far after those events was Belial, the Lord of Lies, who is to make his appearance in Act 2 of D3.

...or being the last of the Horadrim he did wield some untapped and potent power that had made him last through all these, maybe he was Jarod Cain all along, and had been pretending to be his descendant to watch diablo ever closely, would have been interesting to see him and Diablo sharing the final blow of the saga.
    About Deckard Cain being Chuk Norris' father, did you know that Optimus Prime is Chuck Norris' son?
    Chuck Norris came on a truck, WOOM, Optimus Prime!
    Totally off-topic..

Best setup ever!
    Quote from ZenX

This would be a plot twist of great proportions for sure, but I can (pretty much) for sure debunk it. In the 'Book of Cain', on the last pages, is a letter from Cain to Leah, where he writes: "When the falling star crashed down and blasted me into the darkened depths of that damned cathedral..." and so on. So we know it is written after the meteor-insident.
    Basically the last pages is Cain pouring his heart out to Leah, how he saw her as his daughter, how he is sorry he brought this on her.. So IF he is possessed, he certainly still has a very human side to him.

Anyhow, back on topic. :) I am quite certain Cain will die in Diablo 3. Book of Cain is sort of his last testament, he knows his own end is near. Should make for a very interesting story. However, him being possessed... doubtful. :) If anyone is to become possessed, it might be Leah.
    Quote from ZenX

Sounds possible, maybe Deckard Cain isnt a horadrim at all, but in fact the Lord of Lies?
    Afterall, he did get "caged" while the whole village was slaugthered and torched to the ground back at Tristram.
    Great light will cast great shadow.
    To erase shadows, you must erase light.
    For only then, can shadows not exist.
    Darkness is all that remains in the end.
    I don't think he's immortal, but I wish he was! :P

It's hard to imagine a Diablo game without him. Killing him off also seems like an 'obvious' direction to take Diablo 3, what with him training Leah to be his successor, so I really hope that that's not the route that Blizzard takes =/. Like they said, Deckard Cain is pretty much the only real marquee character in the Diablo universe.
    Quote from z00tGRUNT

I don't think he's immortal, but I wish he was! :P

It's hard to imagine a Diablo game without him. Killing him off also seems like an 'obvious' direction to take Diablo 3, what with him training Leah to be his successor, so I really hope that that's not the route that Blizzard takes =/. Like they said, Deckard Cain is pretty much the only real marquee character in the Diablo universe.

True, since Diablo really only shows up once and while :facepalmsmile:

On the other hand, I think we've been watching him age for quite awhile. He has a lot of trouble walking and in the videos he shows sign of extreme aging. Giving his abilities, that is what has kept him alive for so long, I'm almost certain most people would have died of some illness decades before Cain's present age.

That said, it is his time, as to his replacement... Leah... could... maybe... yeah maybe. ;)
    What if by beign killed off he sacrifices himself to save all of sanctuary <insert truely epic scale thing in which only he can stop because of its epic epicness> and he saves the day while we the hero finish off hacking and slashing and win the game.

I think that would be a more fitting way for him to be written out. That being said im sure Blizz could come up with some epic plot twist that nodody is expecting and now all we can do is just play the waiting game till release day.

Super Cop! He knows where you live, he knows where you sleep.
    If he dies, it don't necessarily mean the end of the Diablo franchise. Plus, if he dies in vanilla D3, what are they gonna do for an expansion? And why does he have to die? There's really been no evidence of this happening.

What would happen if Gandalf died in LotR? Oh wait. That happened, and then they just went on with it. But then he was such an irreplaceable character they couldn't be without him, so he came back to life... ish.
    "All generalizations are false, including this one." -Mark Twain
    my guess is that deckard cain dies sometime before act 3. leah is suppost to take over deckard cains work when hes gone. also to me it seems like if you watch the black soulstone cinematic, leah is trying to do just that. asking herself 'what am i missing uncle? what am i suppost to see?' i mean hell, if you got questions, go ask the man, dont ask yourself :P
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes