Is Deckard Cain immortal?

will DC survive D3 and its expansions or is the end upon us?
    He said Leah has to take over his work when he's no longer in the world. I certanly hope he survive all the way! Diablo wouldnt kinda be.. Diablo without him!
    SoEasy#2174
    He will die.
    Quote from Nanthao5

He will die.

I agree. He's gonna get torn a new one, why else would they introduce Leah? That being said I couldn't really imagine her taking his place permanently :(
    We'll always have his lore though. The writing in his books. I think Leah is there because they kill him off, if not in this installment perhaps in the expansion. He was an old man 10 years ago after all.
    "I don't hold with looking at the future... But now I think the future's looking at me. And I don't like its expression."
    Granny Weatherwax.
    i think deckard cain is going to die on some dramatic way in d3, there could be some awsome ways to create hi's dead, but could still be cool if he went to survive through out the story in d3 :D
    deckard cain has become just as important to the diablo series as.......uh diablo,hes very important to the series,can he be killed off in d3,can he be kept on after d3?i think Blizzard should look more clolsely at deckard cain and what they could use him for in the future,hes become a cult figure and if his d3 life ends then they could take his story back to the beginning maybe.......just a thought!?
    I thought when he felt down that hole in the cinematic, that each and every bone in him would be broken. So yes, I think he is immortal!

Best setup ever!
    Quote from andy23wdoctor

deckard cain has become just as important to the diablo series as.......uh diablo,hes very important to the series,can he be killed off in d3,can he be kept on after d3?i think Blizzard should look more clolsely at deckard cain and what they could use him for in the future,hes become a cult figure and if his d3 life ends then they could take his story back to the beginning maybe.......just a thought!?
    No, get real.

He's gotta die in this game. He's important yeah, but not THAT important. He never was, actually. He just knows lots of stuff and he's a guide. As a Horadrim he's a pretty half-assed one too. He's technically only a descendant of a Horadrim cause the order was totally dead by the time he was born. He's an endearing character but I think people overestimate his importance too often and it's kind of annoying sometimes.
    Stay awhile and listen :)
    Diablo 3 is being written as the last part in the story, everything will be all tied up by the end of the last expansion. This battle is the last battle between heaven and hell. My guess is that both Heaven and Hell lose and humanity won't be bothered by either of them by the end. Now this isn't the last Diablo game it just is the last one of this story.

Plus it has been confirmed that he is killed.
    Quote from Laczko1987

Stay awhile and listen :)
    Good job.
    I'm kinda thinking that the cinematics we've seen portray Diablo as being somewhat feminine... slender waste, larger hips:

I'm thinkin Leah gets possessed and Deckard Cain lives through D3 at least until expansion.
    Liquid Cooled Intel I7 2700k OC'd to 5.0ghz at a max pull of 1.44v ~ 19-21C Idle ~ 68C max under load.
    16GB G Skill Ram ~ 2x Mushkin 120GB SSD's ~ MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozer ~ Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    I don't believe that for a second.
    Deckard Cain is Chuck Norris's father...It goes without saying he is immortal
    Derrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Nnnnnderrrrr!!!
    Quote from Lortex

He said Leah has to take over his work when he's no longer in the world. I certanly hope he survive all the way! Diablo wouldnt kinda be.. Diablo without him!

I agree with this.

Deckard Cain is a elder and have being in the diablo world from begin, so he is a importen NPC in the game. But his not immortal. He just live alot longer then any other humans in the game.. As I have drop in from quote then his about to learn Leah up to take his work when his gone wish mean we can end up with Deckard Cain will die sometime, but i'm not think the will happen in diablo 3.. Because a expansion is only giving us another act, new class, new NPC in the new act, maybe higher lvl to, but it will not remove something from act 1 they are in the game.
    I've seen a few 'spoilers' (more suggested hints, no idea if they're true yet) with regards to Leah's story in D3, but nothing about Cain. I'm pretty sure Blizzard have said that Diablo 3 will tie up all the storyline in a tidy package with a neat little bow, whether Santuary will be revisited again at another point of time (past or future) is unknown. I can guess that when Blizzard said that, they were taking into account the expansion(s) as well, therefore, if this is the last part of the story, Deckard Cain will be very likely to meet his demise.

The thought of Cain dying doesn't bother since every great story has to have some element of tragedy in it, and a well written main character death into a story can be one of the best scenes. However, I think that Cain dying may not entirely be his end. He has said he is the last Hordadrim, and he's had strong ties to the game from the beginning and always helped the side of good. If Tyrael (or one of the other arch angels) is ousted out during D3's storyline, there might be space for a promotion :P
    "It takes a man with real heart...to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep." - Clive Barker
    Didnt it show one of the cinematics of him and Leah in a church when a meteor strikes? Unless im remembering wrong it didnt look like he made it out in time .
    You know its going to be a good day when you enter a corner sideways.
    I speculate he had died around the time between either D1-D2 or after the meteor crash, and anyway what we've came to known so far after those events was Belial, the Lord of Lies, who is to make his appearance in Act 2 of D3.

...or being the last of the Horadrim he did wield some untapped and potent power that had made him last through all these, maybe he was Jarod Cain all along, and had been pretending to be his descendant to watch diablo ever closely, would have been interesting to see him and Diablo sharing the final blow of the saga.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes