My Non Gamer Wife's first experiences with Diablo

You gonna get yourself a wife bot??? I gotta get my self one of those they do sound sweet :)
    I raise a glass to VegasRage!!! For all those manly tears... hear hear! You're awesome dude!!!
    My wife also plays Sims and she would see me play Titan Quest and thought it looked like fun. I don't show her too much D3 as we have one laptop. And I don't want to share my D3 with her. Someday we'll get her a new laptop then she can play with me!
    My gf was completely against trying D3 as far as I knew, unitl i went for a shower and left my Monk logged in and I get back, and she is doing a Skele King run...telling me I cant get back on until he is dead and to go get her a drink...

She has now hinted very heavily that the CE Diablo 3 would be a good birthday present... Bloody womens! Running through the game with her is gonna be so much fun tho! :D
    It's fantastic playing with someone you not only like but love too! I always find it adds even more depth to the game. GIving up on rares/legendaries for the other, doing nice things, crafting some pimp items and letting them find it. Awesome!
    I'll try with my gf but by experience im against teaching her everything, last time I did that she was doing nothing on her own and was always asking me what to do even 75% into the game.
    I think there's enough tool-tips and help-info for anyone to pick up the game and play. They might die once or twice figuring it out, but they'll get the hang of it sooner or later.

I think it's kind of cool that the game can appeal to someone who normally wouldn't play it. At least that gives us a wide variety of gamers to game with.

The frog comment is pretty funny. :P
    My wife and I are old D2 gamers, when I say old I mean we are in the mid fifty age bracket. Been playing D2 together since the Beta and I think she is better then me, my top is a lvl 92 Hammerdin but she has a lvl 95 Sin for petes sake. I have forgotten how many times she has rescued my body in Hell for me. I know we will be playing D3 a lot together but she is willing to wait until it is released before knowing much about it, where as I have been following the developement of the game closely but heaven help me if I try to tell her how to do anything when it comes to game play, she will learn her way at her pace and will ask for help only when she thinks she needs it. It will be nice tho to share loot and experience new things in the game together.........ps Step daughter plays D2 too lol
    Only good Demon is a dead Demon!!!
    Quote from Sabvre

Quote from Crysto37

Also my super hot imaginary wife will love D3..

Having a job and pretending you aren't a gamer will contribute to turning imaginary into real....

just bcareful... pretending can also turn a marriage into divorce lol

That might actually not be a bad thing ;)
    Great light will cast great shadow.
    To erase shadows, you must erase light.
    For only then, can shadows not exist.
    Darkness is all that remains in the end.
    I have a similar story with my partner, I wouldn't class her as a "non gamer" but she does not have much experience outside of, god forbid, the Sims.

She picked up the beta and enjoyed it alot within minutes because "I can sit here and just kill shit, without worrying too much" so Blizzard were successful in one sense I suppose.
    Quote from Ayr

I'll try with my gf but by experience im against teaching her everything, last time I did that she was doing nothing on her own and was always asking me what to do even 75% into the game.

and good lord SO MUCH THIS.

I was playing some Starcraft 2 and my partner came over and wanted to "have a go" I said look you probably want to try something a little less "complex" when it comes to learning, but she was insistent she could at least try it. Naturally i had to sit there every match and tell her what to do and exactly when to do it, it was agonizing.

Similar thing when she play WoW for a day every 10 minute is had to come over and manage her bags for her because she had no idea what items or stats she needed and just had me do it.
    There's definitely a lack of any urgency in the beta. I allow myself to get swarmed by monsters just to see if they can kill me and they just can't. Lame.
    Quote from Siaynoq

There's definitely a lack of any urgency in the beta. I allow myself to get swarmed by monsters just to see if they can kill me and they just can't. Lame.

Depends on your class.... As the monk i had a few encounters that could have turned harry if i was a noob. That is until i got geared up (aka after my first skele run).
    Unfortunately I'll be starting from scratch since the only game she's reaaly played is bejeweled lol. This will be painful at the start. I'll go "read the tooltips'' strategy.
    Quote from Hawnkey

you lucky bastard

^What he said...

You are one lucky dude, I'm totally jealous of you :D
    Quote from Corpsie

Quote from Ayr

I was playing some Starcraft 2 and my partner came over and wanted to "have a go" I said look you probably want to try something a little less "complex" when it comes to learning, but she was insistent she could at least try it. Naturally i had to sit there every match and tell her what to do and exactly when to do it, it was agonizing.

Similar thing when she play WoW for a day every 10 minute is had to come over and manage her bags for her because she had no idea what items or stats she needed and just had me do it.

I can vouch for games like Little Big Planet (1 or 2) and generally simplistic games to get them started. I know you did try to fet her to take that route, but perhaps you could success by approaching her with such a game, instead of her approaching you about games.
    Quote from TobiasKr

Quote from Corpsie

Quote from Ayr

I can vouch for games like Little Big Planet (1 or 2) and generally simplistic games to get them started. I know you did try to fet her to take that route, but perhaps you could success by approaching her with such a game, instead of her approaching you about games.

I did start my wife on LBP.... however... my friend and his GAMER wife came over and we played a 4 player game. She kept falling way way way behind us as my buddy and i competed. Because of the fact that if you fall behind you die my wife got frustrated (she also can't stand not being the best at what she does) and refused to play ever again.
    Haha I just played WD... it totally IS vagina frogs.

Honestly though, I think the Diablo games do appeal to women. I can only vouch that my sister played Diablo II briefly (way back when), and actually very much enjoyed it... and she didn't play many other games... maybe the Sims but that was it.
    SC2 Editor Tutorials: OnetwoSC
    D3 Channel: OnetwoD3
    Well WOW made housewives into regular players into raid leaders of competitive PvE guilds.

Seriously Ive seen them.

Dunno if Diablo has that capability tho..
    And then there we're none
    is your wife still playing with her.....ummm ...vagina frogs? :P
    I'm a gamer female with a totally anti-gaming of any sort ever male partner. How on earth do I get him interested enough in the game so that my release week marathon gaming session isn't interrupted by BF aggro?

I read him the short story I'd written for a competition for a beta key on another forum. The beginning of the game retold from a single character's point of view. He says "I like that. That would make a damn good game"

"it is a game" I said. "it's that game I've been waiting for over the last 8 or so years. The one I go on about not having a release date."

"Oh!" he says. "I'll need to have a go at that when it comes out"

*pumps air with fist* WIN!
    "I don't hold with looking at the future... But now I think the future's looking at me. And I don't like its expression."
    Granny Weatherwax.
    or you could have said "get the game or no fun bags for you!"
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes