New Battle.net Mockup

EDIT: Scroll down for V2 and V3.
    EDIT 2: JUST added V4 down below.

I'm no designer but I thought it would be fun to shuffle stuff around and see how a new D3 bnet (once you logged in) could look... I tried to go off of Diablo 2's Bnet.

V1:

The chat itself could probably have tabs or whatnot. Also, I imagined that when you join a party or create one, the little 'avatar lineup' at the bottom would switch to your party's avatars (since there isn't much room behind your guy anymore lol). Then you could use the tiny arrow button next to "Monk Chat (1)" (which would say "Party") to switch back to avatars in the chat channel.

Also not really sure what "Leave Chat" would do... maybe or maybe not downsizes chat window, but it would take you out of the channel, leaving you to still type to friends/party.

V2.0:

V3.0:
    1920x1080 social open:

1920x1080 social closed:

1280x1024 "Non widescreen":

V4 (minor shoutout to Sixen for help!)

V4 with possible Public games (Just added December 2012)
    SC2 Editor Tutorials: OnetwoSC
    D3 Channel: OnetwoD3
    Send it to blizz. Lets get them on this now lol!

I dont like the stand under the character though?
    This looks awesome.
    OneTwoSC your hired!!!

hows $3000 a week sound?
    This is the vision most people have for D3 chat. I jsut wish Blizzard would open their minds to it.
    Looks really nice. Would be great with a big chatwindow so you can talk to friends and stuff before you decide what char you're gonna log in on. Although, as someone said, the pedestal or what ever they are standing stands out a bit too much. Great work otherwise!
    Quote from Torrak

Send it to blizz. Lets get them on this now lol!

I dont like the stand under the character though?

The pedestal is because I had already traced out that guy and didn't want to do it again for one without a pedestal, though I probably should have. Try and imagine it's not there.
    GENIUS!!! You Sir = Science

Recommended that the banner should appear behind players (obviously stating weather their hxc or not, as well as level of difficulty competed. As well as, when you hover your pointer over a char, stats and their banner expand in the tool tip.
    Oh my god this is awesome. This was exactly what I wanted SC2/D3 chats to be! I really wish Blizzard opens their minds to this, their old design of public chats was awesome. I can't really see myself chatting to random players in the same way in the new chats. Great job!
    http://www.reddit.co...discussion_and/

Up vote please!
    One thing:

Switch the frames around, so the chats on the right, and the character stuff is on the left.
    "When men are most sure and arrogant, they are commonly the most mistaken, and have then given views to passion, without that proper deliberation and suspense which can alone secure them from the grossest absurdities"
    Quote from Gravithan

GENIUS!!! You Sir = Science

Recommended that the banner should appear behind players (obviously stating weather their hxc or not, as well as level of difficulty competed. As well as, when you hover your pointer over a char, stats and their banner expand in the tool tip.

Great ideas! I didn't think it through that far haha.

Also, thanks for the support Torrak. I didn't make a thread on NA bnet, I posted it in the chat discussion thread but that one fell fast lol...

LordRayken: I thought about it, but in all their past games, chat is on the left :/
    Quote from Gravithan

Quote from Torrak

This thread is added to Reddit.

http://www.reddit.co...discussion_and/

Up vote please!

I deleted my post, because i realised that i posted it on the eu forums and blizzard take no notice of them, so it would just be wasted effort. id prob get someone to post it on the us forums if i was u.

edit // i replied to the post again with the details, so the threads dont look stupid :D
    This design is really great:) I really hope it ends up like this or something similar..
    V2.0:

Feedback? Better or too cluttered?
    Pretty well done.

My personal preference would the character model on the left and the chat on the right, but anything that improves on the current model is an improvement that I can deal with.

The small character models in the bottom are awesome, would love that.

I think they wouldn't do this right now because the huge "blank" spaces on the screen are used to show your teammates characters (which wouldn't appear at all in this mode - but this could also be a toggleable mode to solve that).
    V2.0 is slightly better.

Suggestions:

- Close button on the news (so you can close it after reading, and freeing up space)
    - The bottom right part is a bit disordered, that could use some work.

+ its.... EPIC (Way better than the current b.net screen)
    The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn’t...
    Looks kinda silly with the main game screen/menu looks like its been squished and moved aside for a... chat box.

It was okay in D2 but now its just thrown in for nostalgia sake.
    Quote from Zero(pS)

Pretty well done.

My personal preference would the character model on the left and the chat on the right, but anything that improves on the current model is an improvement that I can deal with.

The small character models in the bottom are awesome, would love that.

I think they wouldn't do this right now because the huge "blank" spaces on the screen are used to show your teammates characters (which wouldn't appear at all in this mode - but this could also be a toggleable mode to solve that).

I was imagining your party members could show where the small character models are (it would switch when in party, and be changeable after).

But yeah I don't think they would do this at all lol. Just had fun. As far as switching the sides, I don't know, all past Blizz games have chat on the left.

Quote from Steamrice

Looks kinda silly with the main game screen/menu looks like its been squished and moved aside for a... chat box.

It was okay in D2 but now its just thrown in for nostalgia sake.

I agree with this criticism of my design. I just wanted to show how it could be different, you know? I had kind of expected Blizz's new battle.net and chatrooms to exceed their past games and do something even cooler than just a lineup of avatars. Turns out we got SC2 channels lol... on a confusingly separate side to our regular chat box.

I'm no interface designer, so a lot of the spacing/clutter and whatnot is a consequence of that.
    Bravo.
    I'm really digging this.
    Some parts look a little forced, but with a little polishing I would totally use this if it were a mod.
    +1
    Quote from Vyce223

Being sarcastic while trying to get a point across is pointless.

Yeah, & you're really bright.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes