Thoughts about cooldown

Well, i think the new cooldown time after changing spells is pretty useless.
    Whats the point of this? 30 Seconds is like going to get a drink and it destroys the
    "uhh yeah new spell, lets test it" effect. You level up and unlock a new spell and you should wait to use them?
    Thats disapointing...

The idea with the Nephalem Altar is good but with some pitfalls.
    The amount their appearing in sanktuario is low and after a wrong skill decision in combat you have
    to go back to town and change your skills again.

I have an another cooldown idea. I think about a slot binded cooldown. One CD for each slot.
    After equip a skill you can use them immediately and it adds a CD on the slot.
    Maybe a 1 or 1:30 min CD

What you think about it?
    The cool down time used to be 30 seconds. The patch changed it to 15 seconds. You appear to have reversed these.
    The reason for the cooldown before you can use the skill was to avoid an "exploit" (aka. unintended behavior) of shifting skills while in combat.

I agree its not a good solution though, but that is mostly because I would rather see a 1 hour cooldown on changing skills or something like that :D
    I thinks the cool downs have been effectively managed and tweaked throughout the beta thus far. In my opinion, it is a VERY important matter- because with time players tend to figure out and manipulate the mechanics within a game, and this is when the true work, thought, and time (or lack thereof) the developers put into it is brought to light. Cool downs, just as well as any other foundational mechanic, can make or break the game-play experience. Without even playing the game I know this. It's basically what we saw in Diablo II, where paladins would fly across maps within seconds, and literally any player with the right gear could make it from Act1-5 in less than an hour if done correctly- And those such possibilities existing take away from the gaming experience.
    Without cooldown when swap skills you would just spam out all your skills with CD, swap them fast, spam some other skills and swap again.

I can still see how you can use a skill with 2 min cooldown right at the start of the fight, swap it for some spam skill, wait 15 sec and start to spam it. But I think you pretty sure would lose more than gain in that way.
    Quote from Shadout

The reason for the cooldown before you can use the skill was to avoid an "exploit" (aka. unintended behavior) of shifting skills while in combat.

I agree its not a good solution though, but that is mostly because I would rather see a 1 hour cooldown on changing skills or something like that :D

I would argue, what would happen if you decided to change your skills, and misclicked? Anything over the 30 seconds would be rough, especially when leveling. It's just not fun waiting a whole hour to change skills, and no game has that.

Trust me, in beta even the 30 seconds felt long. This system allows for zero exploitation, while letting players change skills in the field (while leveling) and allowing players to play around with different builds, which, is the whole point of the skill system.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Quote from Snaks42

I would argue, what would happen if you decided to change your skills, and misclicked? Anything over the 30 seconds would be rough, especially when leveling. It's just not fun waiting a whole hour to change skills, and no game has that.

Trust me, in beta even the 30 seconds felt long. This system allows for zero exploitation, while letting players change skills in the field (while leveling) and allowing players to play around with different builds, which, is the whole point of the skill system.

I would add an "Accept" button to confirm your changes then.
    Also, I wouldn't have the cooldown before Inferno, as you would still be gaining new rune effects while leveling, and thus need to be able to try out the new effects all the time. You wouldn't need that in Inferno.
    Quote from Hjelpen

Without cooldown when swap skills you would just spam out all your skills with CD, swap them fast, spam some other skills and swap again.

I can still see how you can use a skill with 2 min cooldown right at the start of the fight, swap it for some spam skill, wait 15 sec and start to spam it. But I think you pretty sure would lose more than gain in that way.

They actually all but prevented this. If your two minute CD adds an affect, it's taken away as soon as you swap it. But you won't even get to that part, since you can't swap skills which are ON cooldown. So If I used Wrath of the berserker, I wouldn't be able to swap until it's cooldown is up.

With this system, there's no way to abuse it =D win win!
    Quote from Shadout

Quote from Snaks42

I would add an "Accept" button to confirm your changes then.
    Also, I wouldn't have the cooldown before Inferno, as you would still be gaining new rune effects while leveling, and thus need to be able to try out the new effects all the time. You wouldn't need that in Inferno.

So... quick question. Because YOU want to wait an hour before swapping your skills, why do you want to control how I play? Why does it bother you if I change my skills often? How does it affect you?

Not flaming, just trying to get to the root of why some people, while they swear THEY aren't going to swap skills a lot, are so worried others will.
    Quote from Snaks42

Quote from Hjelpen

They actually all but prevented this. If your two minute CD adds an affect, it's taken away as soon as you swap it. But you won't even get to that part, since you can't swap skills which are ON cooldown. So If I used Wrath of the berserker, I wouldn't be able to swap until it's cooldown is up.

With this system, there's no way to abuse it =D win win!

So what if I would use some really big 1 time damage output skill like "Nukeball of doom" for example, then swap it?

I'm not in the beta and havn't been looking too close on the skills, so I dont know it it's really some skills with lets say 2 min CD that does huge dmg in less than 2 seconds time that also don't give an effect.
    its 15s by nightmare you'll have the skills you like and enjoy using, thats not taking into consideration whether or not you're skills need to change depending on difficulty, but ultimately it wont do any harm, it takes you 15s to scratch your ass, or tell your gf,wife, or kids to shut up while your're playing, i dont mid the cooldown, plus it all has the potential to change, i just dont want them to put it back to changing it without a cooldown, cuz just like Hjelpen said you can switch use it, switch use another, switch use another.. etc so i dont mind it
    All for One, and One for None
    a boss fight could easily last for minutes.. reducing this to 15 sec probably will favor some exploits. One that comes to mind is killing possible minions near the boss using an aoe and changing that to focus on the boss.Or using this to heal your teammate with your monk and then change. This needs more thought
    Quote from Snaks42

So... quick question. Because YOU want to wait an hour before swapping your skills, why do you want to control how I play? Why does it bother you if I change my skills often? How does it affect you?

Not flaming, just trying to get to the root of why some people, while they swear THEY aren't going to swap skills a lot, are so worried others will.

It is not about what others will do.
    Blizzard will obviously design their own game around how the respeccing works.
    Which means they will balance the game around it - one way or another.

Choosing not to abuse respeccing in a game balanced around it is pretty much equal to playing without hands or closing your eyes. Sure you can do it, but it will be stupid.

I'd much rather see a game which is build around the player (aka. me) having to pick ONE* spec at a time which can deal with a multitude of different situations and enemies. Yes, I can choose to do that now, but it's apparently not how the game is meant to be played.

*Still with the ability to respec sometimes, hence a cooldown, because requiring people to reroll as in D2, is NOT a good thing either.
    Quote from qqkatab

a boss fight could easily last for minutes.. reducing this to 15 sec probably will favor some exploits. One that comes to mind is killing possible minions near the boss using an aoe and changing that to focus on the boss.Or using this to heal your teammate with your monk and then change. This needs more thought

Exactly what I was thinking. Let's say you have like 1 really big sick high damage skill with 30 sec cooldown. When a boss spawn alot of mini monsters you just pop it and all die, then you swap skill and after 15 sec you can start to use another single target nuke skill.

Something feels... strange..
    Quote from Hjelpen

Exactly what I was thinking. Let's say you have like 1 really big sick high damage skill with 30 sec cooldown. When a boss spawn alot of mini monsters you just pop it and all die, then you swap skill and after 15 sec you can start to use another single target nuke skill.

Something feels... strange..

You can't change skills when they have a CD. The initial CD when you put a skill into a slot works like a normal skill CD
    I think they are there for the same reason you can't have loads of trinkets in wow for the sake of swapping them and therefore gaining loads of SP / AP etc on it.
    If no cooldown, it can be exploited, like someone else said.

Now - 15 seconds. Is it really That much of a hustle to wait when you get a new spell?
    Likely you'd even go to town to swap for stashed items waiting for your levelreq, sell items or something else by the time you get new spells.
    Quote from DerfOnTurf

The cool down time used to be 30 seconds. The patch changed it to 15 seconds. You appear to have reversed these.

Since some skills have a longer cooldown that 15-30 sec, is it broken for those spells? I mean for exemple, i use "big bad voodoo" and then, i swap the skill for "Fetish army". Will i be able to use fetish army like 30 sec after using "big bad voodoo"? I would've had to wait for a full 120 sec if i had not swapped around.
    Can somebody with a Beta Acc confirm that you can swith the runes every 15sec too? From the look of the UI it looks like you choose both rune and skill in one window... so I guess if you are able to change your skill every 15sec you can change the rune every 15sec too?

Edit: Answered my question by searching for a Vid. You can change the rune every 15sec... its basically a skill change. So if you only change rune but keep the skill e.g. Crimson Bola to Indigo Bola you still get the 15sec CD on Bola.
    Quote from 1up_Mush

Quote from DerfOnTurf

Since some skills have a longer cooldown that 15-30 sec, is it broken for those spells? I mean for exemple, i use "big bad voodoo" and then, i swap the skill for "Fetish army". Will i be able to use fetish army like 30 sec after using "big bad voodoo"? I would've had to wait for a full 120 sec if i had not swapped around.

You cant change skills while CD
    The CD is fine. There are bigger problems right now then the cooldown length, such as the terrible new UI.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes