Jay Wilson - Skill and Rune Changes

Quote from Mew

They're really biting down the Easy to learn, difficult to master mantra this time.

Now down syndrome kid can play the game... what I fail to see is the difficult to master part this time.

This really is like todays MMO systems were everyone gets all skills and then you glyph them. Except even in MMOs Glyphs are drops!

Let's just tell blizzard we'll pay them $10/month and I'm sure they will happily restore runes as items. But as far they have to maintain all the servers on which millions of ppl will play diablo they will probably do everything to reduce amount of items stored. Btw, why people don't ask blizzard to make diablo 3 subscription game. This would give us more content and excitement every 4 months. We are not planning to play anything and all the others will leave after they run through normal with half of character types. So 3 months and they are gone. Blizzard could include first 3 months in game price. I would be more happy this way.
    Oh, and I understand some ppl may not have money but most of those were already dropped by blizzard by making D3 online game only.
    I Love that change. It feels much more rewarding to gain levels at 30+. And it's not as frustrating as grinding for the rune you need.

From my point of view the old design was "Everything in this game is about item drops" - even skills were supposed to be modified by drops. The leveling process wasn`t joyfull. How it's now it's just more appealing to me. The only point that bothers me now is that the maxlevel will be reached in no time. I Would love to see lvl 60-65 added that keeps you leveling(heavy XP necessary).
    Quote from FunMaker

I Love that change. It feels much more rewarding to gain levels at 30+. And it's not as frustrating as grinding for the rune you need.

Neither of these things you've experienced yet so you are just making assumptions.

Who cares really about making the 30-60 "more rewarding". Leveling so you can reach higher difficulties and craft higher level restricted gear should be enough.

The real game starts at inferno.
    Quote from Shredder944

Oh and to sort the rune problem for both sides. Just make it so when you find the rune from a drop--rather than be spoiled by getting it guaranteed from a level up--that it goes into the "system" the same way it does when you have it from leveling. Finding it unlocks them for future use, so you at least had to put forth the effort to find it, yet it doesn't occupy space. I think that's a fair compromise.

They could just make new type of random rune drop every time you kill new boss. There are enough bosses on different levels I think. If not make 3 runes drop. Easy :)
    Or better yet, make a rune drop auto-magically from your pocket so it can be picked up, to calm all the whiners :D
    I dont like this. It takes away the adaptability in which I had to customize my gameplay to with the old system. This new system gives me too much control over my character.

The only thing now that will force me to find another rune-combo is gear. If I find a cool item that fits better with another rune I can just swap to that rune, IF I want to use that item. The downside is that I probably will have to sacrifice something else in order to get the best out of that single item and that is not a good thing in my book.

In the old system I was free to play in a certain way that made me feel comfortable. But then I would find this awsome runestone and I had to completely find a new way to play IF I wanted to use it on a certain skill. Big difference.
    Although I like the idea of not having to hunt down every rune from such a large list of items, I, like everyone else, enjoyed the idea of runes being, well, an item. To me, it feels like they had taken away that feeling of excitement when you find the rune you are looking for. Also, the thing that bugs me the most is that its now just something you unlock through levels. I personally feel like they could have implemented this in a better way, rather than handing out runes like candy when you level up. Runes should have been a reward for something, not just a handout :/
    without reading 18 pages..has any of the animation changed due to the new skill systems? if so can anyone provide a screen shot of the changes?
    As somebody who has played the new beta patch, I hate it.

The new UI is clunky, difficult to navigate, does not allow for drag and drop anymore, time consuming, takes up too much window space.. I could go on....

As for the new skill and rune system.. Well I was looking forward to collecting runes and progressing skills... but now we will just be "given" runes when we level up. Some won't even be available until level 51+.

They just dumbed down the game again.
    Quote from Feyph

To me, it feels like they had taken away that feeling of excitement when you find the rune you are looking for. Also, the thing that bugs me the most is that its now just something you unlock through levels. I personally feel like they could have implemented this in a better way, rather than handing out runes like candy when you level up. Runes should have been a reward for something, not just a handout :/

This.... +1
    Quote from DenkaSaeba25

Apparently Elective Mode is bugged at the time.
    (Normal mode is frankly embarassing. No, i don't want my skill to be chosen, by you, thanks)

bugged, lol. If it wasn't you think anybody would test it :)
    Quote from Alcovitch

Quote from FunMaker

Neither of these things you've experienced yet so you are just making assumptions.

Who cares really about making the 30-60 "more rewarding". Leveling so you can reach higher difficulties and craft higher level restricted gear should be enough.

The real game starts at inferno.

In your opinion....
    Quote from Britward

Several people had seen this change coming from a long way away. It made sense. Think about when Blizzard reduced stash size. The writing was on the wall at that point. Runes in the forms of items were gone.

And good riddance. Listen, I enjoy the item hunt as much as the next guy. But stop pretending that this was because we were hunting for uniqueness. The core principle behind the item hunt was to find the precise items that would most benefit the build you had selected, a build that had been mathematically determined to be one of the best builds. Thus, tons of people had it. Runes were a way to customize our characters. And they still really are. I don't want that system tied to items, particularly when the item is hard to find.

We will still be item hunting for optimization. We will still be item hunting for the top end use of our build. But at least our playstyle (which runes are directly tied into) will not be tied into waiting on that item, particularly one that will be rarer than all the other items out there.

totally well put. I wanna hunt items of value, not look on the ground and have crap left right and centre.
    I like the changes.This way runes will be better.
    Why? Because you can have the rune you want when you want it without losing time.
    Also it will not take space in the inventory.
    Oh, and the skills look easier to place.
    Quote from Hellmaister

Quote from Feyph

To me, it feels like they had taken away that feeling of excitement when you find the rune you are looking for. Also, the thing that bugs me the most is that its now just something you unlock through levels. I personally feel like they could have implemented this in a better way, rather than handing out runes like candy when you level up. Runes should have been a reward for something, not just a handout :/

This.... +1

So you would rather have to buy the things with real money than be given them as a part of the game play, because there is no way you would have got all the runes you want from drops. I personally never want to pay for skills in a game with real money.
    Quote from Chaotik

As somebody who has played the new beta patch, I hate it.

The new UI is clunky, difficult to navigate, does not allow for drag and drop anymore, time consuming, takes up too much window space.. I could go on....

As for the new skill and rune system.. Well I was looking forward to collecting runes and progressing skills... but now we will just be "given" runes when we level up. Some won't even be available until level 51+.

They just dumbed down the game again.

You were looking forward to parting with real money to get the runes you want is what im sure you meant to say, good riddence to paying for skills. That was one aspect the game that I did not want to see monetised at all.
    Quote from csense

So, runes now work like glyphs in wow, we have less runes than before and this makes the game easier to balance.

There is a another problem with balance and it is balance itself, balance makes runes equal in terms of usefulness and damage and that means it does not matter much which one you take anymore and that makes the game less fun.
    3k runes are hard to impossible to balance, some are better than others, finding powerful runes is more fun than having equally balanced runes.

It's not true. If it was true how would you feel playing with same skills all the time because they are the best. I felt very bad in D2 when I couldn't use my fireball anymore as it was to week. I like the idea of all skills being powerful as this will make people to use skills that make them happy cause of look and feel. I suggest you find your fun in other items finding, and ask blizz for enchants to find and charms. Plenty to find. Skills should be balanced so every each of them is same viable but different. And I tell you you will be more happy playing with another wizard if they don't use same skills as you do and still kill as quick so you don't have to complain for low mkps.
    I dont like this change.
    Sometimes i believe blizz is only catering lazy players..
    Now all we are left with is collecting gear, everything else is given to us for free while we lvl up.
    i cant see why it is a good thing to make lvl30-60 "more rewarding" while dumbing down the endgame.

diablo =item hunting
    less items = less hunting = less fun

atleast for me :(
    Changes are good I am just sad that they completely removed rune ranks. They put many hours in making effects for different rune ranks and now they just scrap everything? No wonder why they are producing the game 7 years when they cut half the things they have done.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
    Ok i've played the beta for several with this new system. We can't compare then since we had not tested the previews one (unfortunelly). But if they made this change i think we should trust then.

About this new system, it's ok. However I see a problem. I was playing a WD and was trying to use skills i usually don''t (Plague of Frogs, Hex). When I reached level 6 and opened the first rune for Poison Dart it's kinda sucked that one skill (Poison Dart with 3 shots) were completly stronger then the other (Plague of Toads) because one was runed the other was not =[

It's like, in a few situations, you're urged to use skill x despoite your taste because that skill has a rune and others don't. That kinda sucked. I think they should remove the unruned version of each skill in order to solve this issue.
    "In time the hissing of her sanity
    Faded out her voice and soiled her name
    And like marked pages in a diary
    Everything seemed clean that is unstained
    The incoherent talk of ordinary days
    Why would we really need to live?
    Decide what is clear and what's within a haze
    What you should take and what to give" - Opeth
    I like the changes too. At first I hoped that maybe at level-up we can choose what runes we want to unlock, but then it would mean that at high level there wouldn't be anything left for desire. With this system, there is a high chance that we will need a rune unlock even after lvl 50. Now levelling up past 30 is again something important.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes