Diablo III and e-sports

What do you think will happen with e-sport in relation to Diablo 3?
    We can all see Blizzard has a huge focus on competitive gaming. It didn't work out perfectly in World of Warcraft, the PvP tournaments are not really fun to watch, and I could be wrong, but it looks like it's not a big success viewership wise.

Starcraft 2 is completely different of course. It's without a doubt the best spectator e-sport around. Many people visit Barcrafts, Watch streams of major tournaments and look at replays online.

Blizzard has always liked tuning, patching and polishing games. So a natural result of that could be that Diablo 3 PvP is almost perfectly balanced, fun to watch and exciting to play.

I know Blizzard has officially said that PvP is just a side-thing for D3, but with the huge e-sport loving fan base Blizzard has, things can change. I do expect things to happen in this area, not as big as SC2, but I do imagine that i.e. MLG/IPL/Blizzard tournaments will host Diablo 3 PVP tournaments with a signifcant prizepool and viewership.

just my 2c.

PS Just can't wait for the game to be here!
    Didn't Blizzard say they won't focus so much on balancing the pvp? So they'll be balancing the game based on the campaing mode. Don't think D3 will become a e-sport like wow. Blizzards own DOTA game will do that.
    As You mentioned, they officialy said pvp will be a side thing. What's more, Jay confirmed that their goal ISNT to make a competitive (via pvp) game.
    He also said that they do not wish d3 to be an e-sport type of game. Seeing sc2 as a very competitive e-sport title, and wow arenas as potential e-sport title (with minor tornaments and events) I think they have enough of this.

I am also the one who will allways claim that this developer cares poorly of balanced competitive enviroment, and there are better ones to stick with, but I will end here before i get hanged, doubt that my opinion is very popular. I can agree tho that watching sc2 is quite fun - imho more fun to watch then to play. Altho I prefer team games ;)
    Nah, dont think so the arena in D3 is to small to become an Esport. Its enough with WoW and Sc2, ScBW. They will also be focusing on the PVE in D3 and not the arena. So arena will probably not be balanced = no competitive play.
    There will be no such thing as a competitive scene in Diablo III.

Like Jusoni said, Blizzard has specifically said they won't focus on balancing PvP much. On different occasions they have also said they don't even want Diablo 3 to turn into an e-sports game.

It doesn't bother me that much personally, but I'm a competitive gamer by heart and I think there would be a good place for Diablo 3 in a competitive environment. I'm thinking all kinds of PvP Modes.

Oh well, I'll take my competitive side to the RMAH and Inferno. :P

Edit: Gravenshade pretty much nailed it, beat me to it!
    Because it's 3 vs 3, balancing should be easier. One thing we should not forget, is the Community.
    Maybe Blizzard has no focus on it, but when the game is released, it will get loads and loads of attention. If people or other organizations start organizing D3 tournaments, who knows what will happen?
    @Mazzelaar Yeah it's likely that there will be 3rd party tournaments hosted and I might even participate when I have the chance.

The thing is though, if Blizzard said they specifically don't want it to be an e-Sports game, and also said that their focus will not really be the balance of PvP, there will not be any higher level competition. No sponsorship deals, no events, and mostly no scene (few people, little interest) etc.

Like I said I wouldn't mind it but unfortunately it's just not going to happen. :(
    MLG and IPL will very likely not consider D3 for an e-sport in this age of gaming.

Blizzard has openly declared they will not be balancing for arena, and games driven by random gear, etc. typically failed in the e-sport scene (similarly to WoW). Also, with MLG and IPL still establishing themselves (even after all this time), it takes a lot of risk on when adding a game to the circuit, which is why you see so few games in the pro series.

Another thing to consider, is since Blizzard is not trying to make D3 an e-sport, the custom functionality of area will likely not have things that foster growth in that area (replays, spectator viewing, custom match making, etc.)

Since its a hack and slash that plays a lot like a MOBA, D3 would be competing against League of Legends and the upcoming DOTA2, which are already established as competitive action rpg/rts games.
    Blizzard has stated that while they don't object the community drive the e-sport side of Diablo 3 they won't support it. Here is the interview with Jay Wilson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E452S_fJwA

While I was one of the forum ragers about their decision to scrap the leauges/ladders thet originally stated on Blizzcon after some thinking I agree that maybe it was for the best.

Thing is when Diablo 3 comes out there are going to be imbalances in the game. If Blizzard commits to a ladder/ e-sport they can't just /shrugh when the ladder shows which class combos are the best. They need to give a damn else people on forums will go rage mode "look at Blizzard. They gave us a ladder and now they don't care".

It's better that they focus on the core aspects of the game which is the PvM and let the community drive the PvP scene which the community will.

The communit will find a way of "balancing" PvP. For example community driven tournaments where it is clearly stated on which gear is allowed.

TLDR: Blizzard has stated they are not going to support e-sport. Community will drive the e-sports side of Diablo 3 with tournament and prizes.
    i personally would love to see a competitive scene for D3 , but not in it's current state.
    the whole death-match they have going on at the moment doesn't appeal to me that much. i'd prefer the original version where it was team on team with multiple rounds where every death counts, and not just crazy play :P
    And my separate balancing of skills for MP but that would take more time and i don t think it s worth it just mow, myb in the future.
    And perhaps if they had some cool arenas with some twists for example a boss to come in or some mobs during some fights would be awesome.
    Echoing what Mazzelaar said, it pretty much comes down tho to the community and how well it can establish itself in terms of esport-related stuff. For example both starcraft and dota which are two of the most competetive games and has the largerst audience at an event both online as offline started at the grasp roots of the players and then it has grown over the years and its still growing thanks to its community and all the hard and passionate work that ppl put into it. If Blizzard doesnt decide to put in a large chunk of money at the start themself to get something growing its up to us to make it happen. Luckily live streaming has become much more popular and interesting lately and it can help out greatly to "gather" a larger audience for the game and its competivness
    In my opinion if they can somewhat balance PVP without impacting PVE it's fine but I really don't want them to make the same thing as in WoW. Not really fun for me when skills are changing every week because it's too weak in PVP ... now it's too strong in PVE ... now it's too weak and PVE and too strong in PVP. I could also live with it if they decided to have a different use for PVP and PVE for each skill.
    I do agree with most of you that the current focus of Blizzard is not making it a PvP game. @Zealot, thanks for that clip.

But lets imagine one year into the future:
    Blizzard has just released version 1.6 and added a few new PvP modes, maps, spectator views and matchmaking.

Maybe thinks could be different.... I can always hope :)
    I used to enjoy watching WoW pvp untill the high ranked matches all had the same setups over and over which made it kind of boring.
    When i watched a SC2 match for the first time it kinda blew my mind as to how they played and it was really enjoyable to watch.

Diablo 3 however i kinda hope they dont balance the game for both the pve and pvp content i mean sure there should be some form of balance but i hope they prioritise pve as that is main goal of the game.
    Sure pvp in Diablo 3 looks great and i will most likely participate in it myself but i hope they dont sacrifice to much of the pve fun to keep it balanced :-).
    "Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, are given a chance to climb. They refuse, they cling to the realm or the gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is." Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish
    Quote from hyszlan

Echoing what Mazzelaar said, it pretty much comes down tho to the community and how well it can establish itself in terms of esport-related stuff. For example both starcraft and dota which are two of the most competetive games and has the largerst audience at an event both online as offline started at the grasp roots of the players and then it has grown over the years and its still growing thanks to its community and all the hard and passionate work that ppl put into it. If Blizzard doesnt decide to put in a large chunk of money at the start themself to get something growing its up to us to make it happen. Luckily live streaming has become much more popular and interesting lately and it can help out greatly to "gather" a larger audience for the game and its competivness

except both those games were designed completely to be player vs player in concept, so its hard to use them as a comparison to something evolving organically

i see this shaking out similarly to wow's current state of arena (instead of previous incarnations we saw make it to WSVG, MLG) where its something fun to do, some will take it very seriously, but in the end it won't be an ultra competitive endeavor compared to other e-sport games.
    I'm looking forward to watching matches on Forces channel. I don't think the game needs to be ballanced around PvP to make it awesome. Will it be eSports type stuff? Maybe not. But it will be a blast to watch and participate in.

I just think the fact that every class and build won't be equall will add to the compitition of it all.

You can check out a players gear and build before the match and be like "whoa.. never seen that set up before! Lets see how that goes"
    I don't think there will be user-created tournaments etc. It has been said and confirmed many times before that they don't intend to balance PvP, or help make Diablo III into an E-sport. Besides, it takes such a huge time and effort to balance PvP, that even when there's an enormous ammount of people interested in it, they will not change their minds, simply because it would take them so many manpower that it's never profittable.

Since there will be no balance I don't think user-created tournaments stand a chance. You need balance to have a fair fight, if not your screwed :)
    "And the evil that was once vanquished shal rise and rule. In the guise of men he shall walk amongst the ancient. And terror shall consume they, that walk upon the earth. The sky's shall rain fire, and the sea's will become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked. And all creations shall tremble, before the burning standards of Hell!"
    As far as I know they won't support competive pvp on Diablo 3. They just don't see Diablo 3 as a upcoming e-sport :P
    Diablo 3 won't be a balanced game at all. It will give us fun gameplay and fun pvp game modes, but the balance will be worst then in WoW. Blizzard said that the don't want Diablo 3 to be an e-sport game.
    diablo 3 pvp will be a fairly boring esport to watch imo, it will also be too fast so commentating will not work and whoever tries will probably sound stupid.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes