New idea for skill-swap system

After following numerous threads on the skill-swapping pro's (freedom) and con's (lack of commitment to build), I came up with an alternate design. I don't think I have seen this idea before, anyway.

This is the design idea:
    • Skills can be swapped freely only until some level (e.g. lvl 40, where people have tried out most stuff)
    • From level 40 there is a cost for skill-swapping, but hold on: Since playing around a bit is still needed, you "buy" e.g. one hour of free skill-swapping (30 sec cooldown out of town, however).
    • Cost increases with level and the number of times you bought this "swap-hour".
    • A feature to decrease cost over time, like in WoW (yes, wow, I said the W-word.. thousand pardons), could also be considered. So you could play around with it from time to time without going bankrupt.
    With this system, you could still play around and discover your likes and dislikes, but will be more committed since playing around with skills will cost you gold.

I hope some of you will find this interesting :) feel free to comment, flame, cry, fall to your knees in praise or what ever catches your fancy.
    I actually wouldnt mind this method at all. even the town only option is fine. really dont like how you could just swap anytime you want anywhere with the cooldown. although a newish skill/rune system is being announced soon so maybe all is slightly changed. but yeah i believe more gold sink would useful.
    Bump. I would love some feedback - pretty please? :Thumbs Up:

Not a bad place to make a constructive, post-related comment towards that Beta-key you are all dying for!
    Why do people commit to builds? Or feel the need to have others commit? I think it is because they want to feel unique. But what you should ask yourself is this; "How does it influence me that other people can freely swap skills?" You can keep yourself from swapping skills if you don't want to, and no one will be bothered by it. But there is no need to stop other people from playing around with their builds as it doesn't influence you to much. Worst case scenario they swap all their skills every minute, which is something people don't generally do.
    True, true. I have just noted a lot of chatter about builds and lack of commitment, which by some has been seen as lack of identity of their characters.
    So the idea was to throw them a bone, so to speak. I am actually undecided whether absolute freedom regarding skills is the way to go about it or not, I see pro's and con's to both. So I cooked up this alternative, trying to encourage some fresh discussion (aside from the many previous all-or-nothing discussions about this subject).
    And I think it's better to throw ideas around then to keep them all to yourself. Better to have your ideas shot down then slowly wither and die.

Your idea doesn't influence the people who don't swap skills freely though, only the people who like to.
    It would be interesting to put a cost to "respecs" as it were. I like the idea in theory, but it's one of those situations where either alternative could exist and it wouldn't make much difference to me in the long run. Either allow consistent skill swaps with basically no real penalty, or associate some cost with it.

It would serve as a good gold sink, however, much like its function in World of Warcraft. Actually, the more I type, the more I like the idea.
    Host of the Void Zone Podcast
    Director, Writer, Producer @
    http://outofthevoidp...ns.blogspot.com
    Quote from Britward

It would be interesting to put a cost to "respecs" as it were. I like the idea in theory, but it's one of those situations where either alternative could exist and it wouldn't make much difference to me in the long run. Either allow consistent skill swaps with basically no real penalty, or associate some cost with it.

It would serve as a good gold sink, however, much like its function in World of Warcraft. Actually, the more I type, the more I like the idea.

The whole idea of removing nephalem altars and adding the 30 second cooldown was so people could change skills in the field without giving an incentive to swap mid-combat.

The idea of the "Pay for 1 hour free respecs" translates to those people paying when they want to respec, and the people who do want the build commitment win nothing, as people are still respeccing freely. Ofcourse it's not free, but the gameplay effect owuldn't change at all.
    It's a bad idea to have no restrictions on skill-swaps. Without restrictions, the choices you make don't matter as much. You can decide to make a very specific build that has major weaknesses but the weaknesses aren't there because you can just change it when you run into that weakness.

It's a much more interesting choice if you have to live with that weakness. If you pick a build that is all fire, all the time, you SHOULD have a difficult time with monsters that are strong against fire. Instead, you should have to actually think about a build and decide if you really want to go all fire and struggle sometimes or if you should pick skills that make your character diverse.

I'm all for being able to change your skills out. The system in D2 was broken. However, a system that allows you to switch your skills at any time with no restriction is just as broken in my opinion. Even a small cost will prevent people from picking a skill-set with a major weakness that they avoid by just switching up their skill-set when they encounter said weakness.

Decisions are good.
    Attain Beta Key mission - SUCCESS!!!!!! All hail Scyberdragon!!

I suppose constructive stuff really is the way to go ;)

/Dance
    Quote from Britward

I think its perfect where its at. Running to town is obnoxious, and if you've seen the 30 second CD in action (check Force Strategy's walkthroughs on YouTube), the penalty is significant. Changing 1 or 2 abilities can really slow you down, without completely annoying the hell out of you.
    Quote from Sabelrejen

Attain Beta Key mission - SUCCESS!!!!!! All hail Scyberdragon!!

I suppose constructive stuff really is the way to go ;)

/Dance

Congratulations! I saw him browsing this thread, hoped he saw my posts as well. :QQ:

Quote from Ruppgu

It's a bad idea to have no restrictions on skill-swaps. Without restrictions, the choices you make don't matter as much. You can decide to make a very specific build that has major weaknesses but the weaknesses aren't there because you can just change it when you run into that weakness.

It's a much more interesting choice if you have to live with that weakness. If you pick a build that is all fire, all the time, you SHOULD have a difficult time with monsters that are strong against fire. Instead, you should have to actually think about a build and decide if you really want to go all fire and struggle sometimes or if you should pick skills that make your character diverse.

I'm all for being able to change your skills out. The system in D2 was broken. However, a system that allows you to switch your skills at any time with no restriction is just as broken in my opinion. Even a small cost will prevent people from picking a skill-set with a major weakness that they avoid by just switching up their skill-set when they encounter said weakness.

Decisions are good.

Thirty seconds in addition to the time it takes to swap the skill is quite long, you're better off killing it with your regular skill-set. But time will tell.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes