For people who got the annual WoW deal...

I feel it was more the timing and marketing behind the Annual pass deal.

Yes they will still get their game whenever it is released and technically thats all Blizzard said they would get, no date was given etc.

But this deal was released not long before the first expected release of Diablo 3, they had all the hype in the world about the game, and its about to be in gamers hands etc. It was marketed as if the game was about to be released, and no matter how you look at it probably 1/3 (random number) of people may not have went ahead with the Annual pass had they known the game wouldn't be out for another 6 months.

What irks me the most about this deal is Blizzard are coming across as a dodgy salesman, they are not admitting to misleading customers and worse yet they are simply going "no no we only promised you the game, not the game within a month, thank you come again".
    But why would anyone sign up for a year of WoW expecting the game to be released very soon? Shouldn't, and wouldn't they rather not sign up for the annual pass and wait for the actual release, and just buy the game then?

Really, anyone who wasn't planning to play WoW for at least 8+ more months and subscribed to this, just didn't think this through very well, and they've got only one person to blame for that: theirselves, and not Blizzard.

Then there's probably other people who mostly do this because they know they've got a copy available for sure, they can pre-download, people doing it for the MoP beta / tyrael's charger mount and whatnot.

But then once more, that are the things you had to weigh up and decide whether it's worth it to you. Diablo3, however, could be released whenever, and it has no impact on the deal whatsoever.

Hell, if anything, releasing it later means you're making most possible use of your entire deal: you're playing wow while you're paying for it, and then go on to play Diablo when you're no longer paying. If they release very soon, you'll be paying for WoW still while you're already playing D3, thus "wasting" money on WoW in the meanwhile for nothing.
    I feel I got a fair deal when I signed up for the World of Warcraft Annual Pass. You promise to pay for a year of WoW, you get Diablo III without having to shell out extra money. Mind you, it only works if you seriously plan on continuing to play WoW. If Diablo III isn't out by the time my AP is over, it's not too big of a deal. They didn't guarantee that part, but regardless I'll still end up with a free D3 copy.
    Can we say D3 has already sold 1 million copies ?
    Would people please stop saying "if D3 isn't out before my annual pass runs out..."

It makes me paranoid :(

It will be out!!!1
    Quote from rawerpower

Yes you can.

Add another 1 million for Pre-orders...highest selling game ever?

I'm not too sure on there reasoning behind the annual pass though, if you still play WoW...you would be kind of stupid to not do this deal, especially since you get the mount, free beta access and Diablo 3 for free...and on top of that...its only 14.99 a month the same as a monthly subscription.
    I just want a little bit of tenderness :(

Quote from Aerisot

Quote from rawerpower

Yes you can.

Add another 1 million for Pre-orders...highest selling game ever?

I'm not too sure on there reasoning behind the annual pass though, if you still play WoW...you would be kind of stupid to not do this deal, especially since you get the mount, free beta access and Diablo 3 for free...and on top of that...its only 14.99 a month the same as a monthly subscription.

If you do the annual pass, it makes most sense to go with the 6-month subscriptions x2 since you'll be paying anyways. Ofcourse, you do need the money right now then.
    I was already paying for WoW, so I said screw it, did teh annual deal, got my mount, free copy of D3 and beta access to MoP, and I have the CE on the way, so thats at least 4 free months of WoW.

In the long I would be saving $60 on WoW so I am essentially only paying $40 for the CE in the long run.

Also if I wanted, which most people don't think about, say screw upgrading and getting the 4 free months, I can have 2 Diablo 3 accounts. 20+ characters I can hold 810 swords!

Seriously - it is pretty obvious why people are upset. Putting legal writing to the side for a minute Blizzard positioned the annual pass (AP) as a two birds with one stone purchase just before the release of Diablo 3 (early 2012). The AP was released very timely in an attempt to mitigate the delay of Diablo 3 in light of the SWtoR release.

It is a crystal clear bait and switch scheme from the point of view of communication, marketing and positioning. Blizzard has enough lawyers to ensure that it is not legally fraud - but it is bad corporate behaviour for sure.

I know I might be alone here but I really dislike the corporate rot that seems to have taken hold in Irvine.
    If you sign up for a year of WoW based on when you thought Diablo 3 was going to release, I don't know what to tell you. So many things wrong with that.
    Quote from Zaagazug

Seriously - it is pretty obvious why people are upset. Putting legal writing to the side for a minute Blizzard positioned the annual pass (AP) as a two birds with one stone purchase just before the release of Diablo 3 (early 2012). The AP was released very timely in an attempt to mitigate the delay of Diablo 3 in light of the SWtoR release.

It is a crystal clear bait and switch scheme from the point of view of communication, marketing and positioning. Blizzard has enough lawyers to ensure that it is not legally fraud - but it is bad corporate behaviour for sure.

I know I might be alone here but I really dislike the corporate rot that seems to have taken hold in Irvine.
    I have no idea what you mean. I got the annual pass. I have WoW for a year. I will get D3 for free when it comes out. I have no problem with that. It's a good deal. It's what they said it would be. What does the timing have to do with anything?

If this was intended for WoW players not having to choose between two games to play - then how the hell can it even begin to be bad (or worse: fraud!?) if one game is delayed? It simply does not matter. Those players would be signed up to WoW either way.

All it looks like to me is people looking for reasons to bitch. Bait and switch? SWOTR? What the hell man? If you think you will be playing WoW for a year you can sign up for a 1 year contract and get a free copy of D3
    I made this same thread some time ago, zero replies o.o;
    Quote from drvin

Quote from Zaagazug

I have no idea what you mean. I got the annual pass. I have WoW for a year. I will get D3 for free when it comes out. I have no problem with that. It's a good deal. It's what they said it would be. What does the timing have to do with anything?

If this was intended for WoW players not having to choose between two games to play - then how the hell can it even begin to be bad (or worse: fraud!?) if one game is delayed? It simply does not matter. Those players would be signed up to WoW either way.

All it looks like to me is people looking for reasons to bitch. Bait and switch? SWOTR? What the hell man? If you think you will be playing WoW for a year you can sign up for a 1 year contract and get a free copy of D3

I whole heartedly agree, They were never entitlted to giving the D3 copy before the end of the Annual pass.

Quote from drvin

The thing is that the AP was not really meant for you - and you miss that point.

A loyal WoW and Blizzard player that intended to play WoW for the forseable future and planned to buy Diablo III is the customer group that Blizzard lost money on with the AP release. On your post it sounds like you belong to this group (even though I do not know that of course). This group see Diablo 3 as a nice add-on whenever it is released really.

Now - the key target customer group for the AP was the player that felt relatively neutral about WoW but still hanged in there since all their friends were still playing (log in for 2 raid nights a week kind of player). Blizzard felt that this group was very much at risk with the SWtoR release et cetera and wanted to try to lock this group in - hence the AP pass. The key sticky for this group was the other goods in the bag - the Diablo 3 release and potentially the MoP beta invite. In this group a significant portion might be part of a guild that has migrated to another game (e.g. SWtoR) and Diablo 3 is pushed to a target of Q2 2012. Here you will find players that feel kind of cheated. And at least I think that they are partly right in feeling just that.
    Quote from Zaagazug

Quote from drvin

The thing is that the AP was not really meant for you - and you miss that point.

A loyal WoW and Blizzard player that intended to play WoW for the forseable future and planned to buy Diablo III is the customer group that Blizzard lost money on with the AP release. On your post it sounds like you belong to this group (even though I do not know that of course). This group see Diablo 3 as a nice add-on whenever it is released really.

Now - the key target customer group for the AP was the player that felt relatively neutral about WoW but still hanged in there since all their friends were still playing (log in for 2 raid nights a week kind of player). Blizzard felt that this group was very much at risk with the SWtoR release et cetera and wanted to try to lock this group in - hence the AP pass. The key sticky for this group was the other goods in the bag - the Diablo 3 release and potentially the MoP beta invite. In this group a significant portion might be part of a guild that has migrated to another game (e.g. SWtoR) and Diablo 3 is pushed to a target of Q2 2012. Here you will find players that feel kind of cheated. And at least I think that they are partly right in feeling just that.

Like the guy who buys a game and feels scammed because it turns out he doesn't find the time to play it in weeks because he's overwhelmed with work. This is a scam, amirite?

No seriously, it's your own fucking problem if you for some reason don't get much use of it, it's in no way a scam for anyone, YOU decided to sign up, smart marketing is not "scam".

Can people regret the AP after doing it? Sure, shit happens in life, it turns out you made the wrong choice - tough luck. You didn't get scammed, though.
    Quote from Mccormick
    Like the guy who buys a game and feels scammed because it turns out he doesn't find the time to play it in weeks because he's overwhelmed with work. This is a scam, amirite?

No seriously, it's your own fucking problem if you for some reason don't get much use of it, it's in no way a scam for anyone, YOU decided to sign up, smart marketing is not "scam".

Can people regret the AP after doing it? Sure, shit happens in life, it turns out you made the wrong choice - tough luck. You didn't get scammed, though.

Ok - you do not get it. You use the word fuck since you are cool. I understand.

And the fact that so many people feel upset on the forums must be their fault. They are obviously all retarded teenagers that feel entitled. Blizzard has done nothing wrong. They did not create a sense of an imminent Diablo III release and then backed the AP offer into that emotion. No sir! :doh:

And to point something out - I did not buy an AP etc. I am mostly concerned over where Blizzard has been going as a company since roughly SC2 - and that direction is not good imo.
    Quote from Zaagazug

Quote from Mccormick

And the fact that so many people feel upset on the forums must be their fault. They are obviously all retarded teenagers that feel entitled. Blizzard has done nothing wrong. They did not create a sense of an imminent Diablo III release and then backed the AP offer into that emotion. No sir! :doh:

And to point something out - I did not buy an AP etc. I am mostly concerned over where Blizzard has been going as a company since roughly SC2 - and that direction is not good imo.

No no no, YOU don't get it. WHY would those people sign up for the AP if the release was imminent? All those people like wasting 13$ or whatever it is every month WHILE THEY WILL BE PLAYING DIABLO3?? If those people were convinced the release was imminent, then for damn sure they shouldn't have signed up, and instead bought it so they wouldn't be stuck with a subscription for ~9 more months. Now, if they DO want to be stuck with this subscription, then they have nothing to complain about. So basically in either case: they either have nothing to complain about, or they have theirselves to blame.

Because honestly, that's what it is. If they release later, you actually make more use out of your deal than if they release faster.

Yes "And the fact that so many people feel upset on the forums must be their fault. They are obviously all retarded teenagers that feel entitled." MOST DEFINATELY. That's really the world we live in, a world with, yes indeed, a lot of pretty dumb people. But not saying "uniqueness" is a bad thing :) it's OK to have dumb people around, without them, there wouldn't be "smart" people.
    Quote from Mccormick

No no no, YOU don't get it. WHY would those people sign up for the AP if the release was imminent? All those people like wasting 13$ or whatever it is every month WHILE THEY WILL BE PLAYING DIABLO3??

^This
    The only thing the annual pass "Scams" people with is being stuck in a WoW account that you are already paying for anyways...so why complain? evrything else is free, they just want you to stick around for a year, I've played 7 years, whats one more especially since MoP comes out this year.

everything else is jsut an added bonus, Free Mount, Diablo 3 and Beta invite to MoP it is absolutly an amazing deal anyone that plays WoW is utterly stupid if they do not do this deal, there is no extra money involved.

I think what you meant to say was, since Activision.

This wasn't posted in this thread yet, was it? Anyway, it's on the news page, but in case you missed it:

Official Blizzard Quote:

I've seen these threads before, and it’s concerning to me. I'm confused as to what people believed the Annual Pass provided when they signed up.

It's a year-long World of Warcraft contract for people who would be playing World of Warcraft for the next year, but who also want to play Diablo III. In those cases we say Ok, agree to pay through for that year, and you don't have to make the choice, we'll give you Diablo III for free, plus a bunch of other goodies just in case you're not totally sold.

I'm not sure how a Diablo III release date impacts your intent to continue playing and paying for World of Warcraft for a year. Or maybe a better question is, how does a free copy of Diablo III being released at any different point in time affect your intent to pay for World of Warcraft for a year?

Even if Diablo III was to release after your 1 year contract was up and paid off, you're saving the cost of a copy of Diablo III, and keeping all the extras. I don't see how that's a trick, or a scam, or otherwise a bad deal. Unless you were buying it, not intending to play WoW, believing it would get you Diablo III sooner than other people?

I sympathize with people excited about the game, and disappointed it’s not out, I want it to be finished as much as anyone, but I just have trouble understanding this point as I see it consistently made.

I know there was some wording on a website page somewhere saying 'early next year', but I'm not aware of the actual Annual Pass agreement having any release date schedule ever mentioned for Diablo III or the Mists beta.

In any case, assumptions that a contract was in any way changed aside, it doesn't change the value of the Annual Pass and the fact that you're getting Diablo III for free.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes