Force new Barb vid - explain pls

Hi Guys

Just been watching those new Force vids (Barb & DH) and on Barbarian vid below I saw something weird not sure if it's a glitch or not but maybe someone can explain

Starts at: 28:20s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8g7Hk3roQ8&feature=related

Basically Force was using 2h Axe and he have found really good 1h weapon. The weapon is showing higher DPS so he was waiting until he will find another 1h to swap from 2h axe to dual wield.

When he is doing the switch notice how DPS is rising from 13.76 DPS to 15.01 just by equipping the magic 1h. And then weird thing happens, as by adding extra 1h weapon the DPS is decreasing ?!?

What the.. ?

I thought it would raise again, not sure it's a glitch just with this weapon or with most of them just curious. Anyone can replicate or test in Beta with different Items?
    !! Die Maggot !!
    Well, the handaxe he equipped in the "offhand" has a 4.5 DPS... it's obvious it decreased :D
    That does not look right at all. Probably something they've missed:)
    I am also eager to see if someone from the beta can confirm this.
    SoEasy#2174
    I would gess that it is because you hit with you weapons one at a time. So there will be longer between the attacks with the good weapon. so therefore he gets lower DPS.
    Someone said this to me when i asked the same thing.

It's not cumulative, you swing with one weapon and then the other and DW'ing gives you a 15% attack speed boost.

Your DW'ing DPS is thus, basically, (Weapon DPS A + Weapon DPS B)*1.15/2

Or, in unmathy terms, you equipped a way weaker weapon and it dragged you down.
    If you equip a 4.5 weapon, we could expect around 6.5 DPS (since a 12 DPS weapon brings the total to 15).

(15+6.5) / 2 = 10.75

Multiply it by 1.15 (15% attack boost, for sake of semplicity) and it's around 12.3, the expected value.

Edit: ninja'ed :P
    Quote from Glurp

It's not cumulative, you swing with one weapon and then the other and DW'ing gives you a 15% attack speed boost.

Your DW'ing DPS is thus, basically, (Weapon DPS A + Weapon DPS *1.15/2

Brilliant thanks for that. It explains a lot. So hmm purely just by looking at DPS if I didn’t know that, and a lot of ppl will not they will look at DPS and just run around with 1h weapon and shield as it will give you higher DPS + armour. Hmm so what’s the point of dual wield at all if the worse one will always drag you down. I’m probably being silly here but that’s just me thinking.. so it might be poop :)
    !! Die Maggot !!
    I can definitely confirm that in the beta dual wielding may not always be the best choice.

For example, exactly like in the vid... If you're wielding a 2h with say 10 listed dps and when you put it on it shows your character sheet dps as let's just say 15 dps. If you then equip a 10 dps 1h instead, your dps roughly stays the same at about 15. However, if you then equip a for example 5 dps 1h in the offhand, your listed character dps DEFINITELY goes down.This is only the case when the offhand dps is significantly lower though. I'll try to get some beta footage to explain this with -real- examples lol.

Think of it this way, if you're wielding a longsword in your right hand IRL, you would be able to do some significant damage with it. However, if you then pick up a rusty fork in your left hand and try to stab people with that WHILE still trying to use the sword, you're probably going to do less overall than before.
    Quote from KrAzyKrAsz

Quote from Glurp

Brilliant thanks for that. It explains a lot. So hmm purely just by looking at DPS if I didn’t know that, and a lot of ppl will not they will look at DPS and just run around with 1h weapon and shield as it will give you higher DPS + armour. Hmm so what’s the point of dual wield at all if the worse one will always drag you down. I’m probably being silly here but that’s just me thinking.. so it might be poop :)

He should have waited for a 10 ish 1h DPS weapon to drop. At that point dual wield would have been better. Diablo has always been very nice because of these non-obvious choices.
    Quote from KrAzyKrAsz

Quote from Glurp

The point to dual wielding is that for example, 2 9 dps 1h's will do more dmg overall than a 10 dps 2h. Also, the two 1h's might give you more stats and almost always looks cooler :P

It's true though, when playing the beta I often found myself using a shield instead of an offhand when using a beefy 1h weapon.
    Quote from KrAzyKrAsz

Hmm so what’s the point of dual wield at all if the worse one will always drag you down.

Dual wield should be better if you are farming for criticals or flat on hit bonuses.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes