I still want a Dark Souls style Horadrim origin RPG.
Bring it back to a slower paced dungeon crawler. Set it during the Horadrim at the height of power, hunting down agents of the prime evils and their eventual banishment. Set it so far back that Deckard Cain doesn't even get a mention, showing the history and introducing disciplines we've never seen before that were lost over the ages.
All the classes can be more reclusive and archaic forms of what we have today. Maybe give it a more victorian inspired feel, as if the Horadrim had access to technology that was way more advanced than it should have been, but all information lost by the end of the series. It should feel a lot more gothic horror with every member being a mere mortal accessing greater powers for the first time.
This would be a far cry from the lootfest of a D4, but I think we need something to get us back to the spirit of what Diablo was all about. Exploring random dungeons with threats coming from all corners. No running around, just walking and trying to survive. No skills from leveling up, you need to find arcane sources or ancient secrets to empower your weaponry. Think of participating in crafting some of the greatest legendaries we use today. I think having this in between D3 and D4 would be a good pace-breaker and a great setup for potential story hooks for the future.
Give me D4. I want an entirely new game, and something other than Rifts, rifts, and more rifts in a game.
That is an interesting point to discuss. It's easy to agree with that (as was my first intuition - running rifts and rifts and rifts is boring), but then, what's the alternative? Running the same areas over and over again as in D2 was even more boring. I personally think that rifts are better than re-running the story countless times.
This is the way I feel about Rifts too.
Though, I feel like the devs need to focus on adding some variety to rifts. Lets look at the history of game modes added post launch (no including seasons):
- Greater Rifts: the best addition to the game with its own scaling difficulty and various integrated features such as leg gems upgrades makes alternating between Rifts and GRs the core of the D3 end game experience.
- Set Dungeons: the less we talk about these the better. Whilst some people enjoy them, most don't seem to.
- Challenge Rifts: great in concept but I think many players have found this to either be just a weekly one time run get some easy mats (esp for start of seasons) or not the game mode they were looking for (if it's a hard CR, it falls into the same category that Set Dungeons do in that it's a build that we're required to play in an unconventional way)
Personally, I think that D3 still has some life in it if they manage to fix a few things:
1. Ubers: Give them a difficulty scaling like GRs so that power creep doesn't make them one-shottable at the highest difficulty.
2. Continue bringing older builds back to being competitive.
3. Add affixes to other legendary items that doesn't have an affix.
4. Fine tune some of the more annoying mechanics in the game such as skele mages disappearing too quickly (I reckon make all mages expiry refresh when you recast. Oldest ones are replaced)
5. Some sets really need a rework. For example, the way M6 works atm, you could move cluster arrow and elemental arrow support to UE and those skills would play better. Chakram can go to Shadow set as a separate buff on the 6pc. That leaves M6 free to be fine tuned to a proper traps set (yes, I want my autofire sentries back)
6. Move GR keys to being a counter... maybe where gold and shards are for easy viewing. They're kinda a currency already... for getting into a GR.
7. Make bounties reset after a whole set is completed and claimed. If a team mate goes AFK for a while, this will allow us to restart another round of bounties without having to boot the team mate from the game.
8. In game shop for purchase of more stash tabs, character slots and cosmetics. I'm pretty sick of running dual accounts for SC and HC.
9. Future game modes they do needs to add to add to the Rift/GR or bounties experience. Some thoughts I have are:
A) Gauntlet Rifts: a 4 level rift where there is no standard exit on each rift. Instead, you need to kill everything on the level before a boss spawns. Kill the boss, and a portal opens up to take you to the next level. Each level adds on an extra boss with the final level obviously being a 4 boss battle. This forces
B.) Primal Ubers: integrated into T13 bounties. In the areas where there are bounties, there are 7 fragments of the black soul stone littered randomly. Collect them all and a portal opens up in Zoltun Kulle's Lair where we can engage in a two tiered battle against the 4 lesser evils and then the 3 prime evils. The battle's difficulty is starts at an equivalent GR80 difficulty and can be scaled up for more rewards. The bosses should break the current 4 man mechanics (i.e. zdps monk should be useless in these battles. This is a one time battle. If you fail, you will need to collect the fragments again.