Jay Wilson article is UP

Poll: How do you feel about the latest changes?

[Poll] What is Your General Reaction to Jay Wilson's Announcement of the Most Recent Diablo 3 Changes

How do you feel about the latest changes? - Single Choice

• (Positive & Negative) Like some, Disliked some. 44%
  • (Neutral) I don't have a strong opinion on the matter. 5.5%
  • (Very Negative) What are they thinking!? Seems to me like they're screwing up what was going to be good! 16.5%
  • (Very Positive) I think they have done a great thing - D3 is finally going in the right direction! 9.9%
  • (Negative) I dislike the changes they have made overall. 11%
  • (Positive) I like the changes they have made overall. 13.2%
    Are people in the beta really complaining about not going back to town enough?

why these changes so late in development

it makes no sense, it will mean at least two or 3 more beta patches to test it

guys at blizz, if you are purposely pushing diablo back do it can be released after MoP, well im afraid thats not right

i know im moaning and blizz can do whatever they like, but give us an idea of when it COULD be ready

alot of wow players have signed up to the 12 month sub offer, thats money they have given to you in advance

i knew the WoW offerr would be bad idea, back in november the offer went live, if the game does come out in the summer, it will be 7-10 months after hundreds of thousands of people signed up to it

if its later, then the 12 month sub offer will be almost up (for those who signed up in late 2011) and they would have spent (whatever it costs in your region for a year) to get a game a year later

im moaning a little, but also stating some facts

cos the annual pass offer falls under some consumer acts
    * Removing the Cauldron of Jordan and Nephalem Cube is a TERRIBLE idea. I loved them, because constantly portaling back and forth in D2 just to sell the items was annoying, now this "feature" is back :( Bags are bigger, but the bottom line remains, - forced unnecessary portaling is just a nuisance.

* Removing Mystic at first disappointed me, but I look at it positively - it wont delay game even further, while will be introduced sometime later.

* Skills and runes STILL arent done, and since they dont want to share how they'll solve the issues they're having, that means they STILL unsure how to. :angry: With this rate forget Q1, they might not even make to Q2. It extremely disappoints me, "early 2012" my ass.

* Scrolls of Identification removal is a good thing, slightly less clutter.

* Streamlining of core attributes isnt positive as it delays game further. They'll have to redo items, balancing, etc. I personally prefer MORE stats to choose from, not less, and since this change will require quite some time to finish, its only negative from my POV.

* Stats display and portal button directly in UI is a welcome minor change.

* I dont like the idea not every drop can be useful to some extent. Droping trash just for the sake of dropping is counterproductive.
    Nooo! I loved the Cauldron! ='(
    Does everyone still think i'm crazy for thinking June release date if we're lucky, and 2013 if we're not? We'll have another whole article in a month or two regarding the rune system and apparently changes to skills as well. I dont think even June is likely anymore :(.
    Overall I like the changes. It becoming more like D2 again, especially with the stat changes. Being in beta, I can tell you that itemization sucked so far. All you needed was the highest DPS weapons, resulting in all my chars having Maces (about 25dps), Rings with +3-9 damage and maximum amount of Attack on all other items. Didn't matter if it was my witch doctor, barbarian or monk. That's poor design.

The new system will result in different items being good for different classes, so I like it a lot.

The other changes seem to take away some of the convenience, which I like also.

I am surprised that they didn't address the checkpoint system. It is the single most abused/exploited system and completely redundant with the townportal.
    THIS is what is holding the game back, yeah right. Not only is that one of the dumbest things I've heard in a good while, but many of the changes go directly against their own philosophies. I'm not liking this at all. Most of these changes just seem like making changes for the sake of change. They've made a complete 180 degree turn on two of the major parts of Diablo 3, the stats and the "We don't want to interrupt your combat by making you need to return to town."

Now, it's "You only need your char stat + Vitality." and "Well, now we think it will be really great to interrupt your combat by making you need to return to town!"

- We have been finishing and polishing the content for about a year now.
    - Oh, and there's lots of work left to be done. Over the past few years, we've been tuning and making balance changes too.
    - Most recently, we removed Scrolls of Identification. That took us about 5 minutes.
    - We also removed the Mystic Artisan. Oh wow, this was a tough one.. took all day.
    - We removed the Cauldron of Jordan and Nephalem Cube. 5 minutes.
    - We removed salvage option from common white items. 5 minutes.
    - We moved the fifth quick slot button. That took a while.. it was like 30 minutes of work.
    - We moved the Stone of Recall button. 5 minutes of work.
    - We moved the Salvage button to the Blacksmith Artisan instead. 10 minutes of work.
    - We moved character stats to the Inventory UI. 15 minutes.
    - We renamed Attack, Precision, Defense, and Vitality to Strength, Dexterity, Intellect and Vitality. In a way, we sort of brought back Willpower, which was actually removed from the game in late 2010. This didn't take any time at all, because we've already been experimenting with attribute changes over the past few years.
    - We were able to complete all of these massive changes in 3 days, but trust me, we're still doing A LOT OF STUFF right now. It's like really busy. That's the Blizzard Promise™.

This sounds like a really bad joke, what the fuck.
    Ne frustra vixisse videar.
    Quote from falcompsx

Does everyone still think i'm crazy for thinking June release date if we're lucky, and 2013 if we're not? We'll have another whole article in a month or two regarding the rune system and apparently changes to skills as well. I dont think even June is likely anymore :(.

I agree with you. June just went from pesimistic to optimistic timeframe :(
    On a side note, I think the developments of this article positively prove that we were all wrong about south korea being the hold up.(for those of us who did believe it.) Its just blizzard doing their thing, and delaying the living hell out of their releases.
    I'm not happy the removal of the Mystic and the Cubes. We waited all this time for a D2 clone? It's getting pretty obvious now that they're purposely delaying the game for World of Warcraft sales now.

Screw World of Warcraft. It's a dying game and the new expansion pack looks entirely more stupid.

Well, to me that means no Q1 release date and pretty much means I could give a ***** less about Diablo now.
    Quote from Trombone

THIS is what is holding the game back, yeah right. Not only is that one of the dumbest things I've heard in a good while, but many of the changes go directly against their own philosophies. I'm not liking this at all. Most of these changes just seem like making changes for the sake of change. They've made a complete 180 degree turn on two of the major parts of Diablo 3, the stats and the "We don't want to interrupt your combat by making you need to return to town."

Now, it's "You only need your char stat + Vitality." and "Well, now we think it will be really great to interrupt your combat by making you need to return to town!"

- Oh, and there's lots of work left to be done. Over the past few years, we've been tuning and making balance changes too.
    - Most recently, we removed Scrolls of Identification. That took us about 5 minutes.
    - We also removed the Mystic Artisan. Oh wow, this was a tough one.. took all day.
    - We moved the fifth quick slot button. That took a while.. it was like 30 minutes of work.
    - We moved the Salvage button to the Blacksmith Artisan instead. 10 minutes of work.
    - We renamed Attack, Precision, Defense, and Vitality to Strength, Dexterity, Intellect and Vitality. In a way, we sort of brought back Willpower, which was actually removed from the game in late 2010. This didn't take any time at all, because we've already been experimenting with attribute changes over the past few years.
    - We were able to complete all of these massive changes in 3 days, but trust me, we're still doing A LOT OF STUFF right now. It's like really busy. That's the Blizzard Promise™.

You clearly have no clue about game design.
    Good story. But I don't like you have to salvage items back in town and the white items should by salvageable. Further the rune and skills I agreed it can by done better so I wait for that. may-summer release atm I think.
    Quote from Tekkiller

I don't? Prove me wrong, and prove to me that you do. This is a groundless statement.
    Ne frustra vixisse videar.
    Quote from Trombone

Yep. Please tell me how REMOVING stuff makes the game take longer to release? Doesn't make any sense. However, when you look at this "Buy 12 months of World of Warcraft - Get Diablo 3 free" it starts making perfect sense with the WoW expansion pack coming out.

They want to bleed millions out of World of Warcraft still... So delaying Diablo 3 and removing crap was the way of buying time I guess. You know they're going to remove it just to add it back in with expansion pack.

The game already looks super outdated and it's only getting worse each month that goes by.

Diablo 3 is starting to not even look that good anymore... Just D2 with updated graphics and few game play improvements.
    Quote from Trombone

Quote from Tekkiller

I don't? Prove me wrong, and prove to me that you do. This is a groundless statement.

Proof is not necessary. Stating that major programming changes only take 5 minutes is proof enough.
    Quote from Trombone

Quote from Tekkiller

This is all the proof I need.

After some more thinking its obvious game is actually moving backwards, i.e. becoming worse to me. They're removing the best D3 changes, and making it as D2 expansion.

Also Jay's claim "No one will remember if a game is late" is flat out wrong. Duke Nukem was a laughing stock because of it, and D3 is even worse. Granted Duke was a crap game when released as well, however D3 will also be scrutinized when released much more than it would have if released on time, i.e. unlikely to live up to expectations and "perfection".
    Quote from Trombone

Quote from Tekkiller

Proof? When you say removing a feature takes a second prove you know nothing of game development... It doesn't take a second to remove important features that are linked to different places. Plus the time it took the design to make that call to dev team to remove it.
    I've never seen so many over-dramatic people in my life.

Speechless.
    So many impatient ones. At least the level of stupidity on this site is no where near the official forums/comments on the subject...

I like the changes. Makes it more diablo1/2esque, which is nice. Before I kinda felt they were distancing D3 a bit too much. Not that I have tried the cube and couldron and such, but I am the kind of masochist that enjoy having to chose which items to bring along in my inventory or go back to town every now and then (Read: often).

Can't wait! (But will have too T.T)
    Man I died laughing after reading the article :D

They have been talking for how many years now, about the greatness of the mechanic of the cube and not having to go back to town, ect. And now suddenly they said: Ok F all this sh*t up, were forgetting all that we talked about for 5 years and were copying diablo 2 :D

Also I don't see the game getting out till late summer.Kinda sad really cause I'm beginning to loose interest as well as many people I think.This going back and forth between systems is very annoying and honestly I am beginning to believe this all is just dust in our eyes to cover some other money related reason to be delaying the game.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes