Rare and Champion Loot > Boss Loot

Poll: The magic drop chance on Rares and Champions is greater than Bos

The magic drop chance on Rares and Champions is greater than Bos - Single Choice

• Indifferent (I don't care. Just let me play!) 17.1%
  • Bad (Why?) 12.6%
  • Good (Why?) 70.3%
    It's been confirmed that Rares and Champions will have a better chance to drop better loot than bosses.

Do you guys see this as a good thing or a bad thing? Or are you indifferent about it?
    "All generalizations are false, including this one." -Mark Twain
    It's a good thing. Repeatedly running bosses is predictable and boring; being able to efficiently farm everywhere will keep the game fresh.

It runs counter to RPG conventions, but makes Diablo 3 a better game.

-Kardax
    Quote from Kardax2

It's a good thing. Repeatedly running bosses is predictable and boring; being able to efficiently farm everywhere will keep the game fresh.

-Kardax
    "She's an absolute. Why just this last week I was. Ok look. I'm. Just take my advice." -Ungrien
    I like how at level 60 I can just go anywhere to kill and farm stuff. Visit some area's I've only been a couple of times, some area's that form a real challenge, or just area's that look beautiful or amazing (pretty sure the game will be packed with those however).

This system is perfect IMO.
    Treasure hunting... Treasure finding!!
    I think it's great.

Though to promote the boss fights and killing the rares/champions I think it'd be best if the bosses had a slightly higher chance to drop loot.

So if you kill a group of 5x rares/champions, it would have a better chance than the boss as a whole. But if you kill just the boss, then he has a better chance than a single rare/champion.
    Quote from Kardax2

-Kardax
    The question isn't why do I kill. The question is, why I don't kill everybody.
    I can see a negative point. Everyone likes to grind items (see DiabloWiki.com - Diablo 2 Diablo 2). Since that's the case, it's likely that people will find the areas that spawn the most amount of Rares/Champions (like DiabloWiki.com - Pindleskin Pindleskin, except not really). If that happens, wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose?
    They've said many times that if such scenario happens they will do something about it.
    Its a good thing.

1. Only in inferno.. so everywhere is going to be hard. Monsters are scaled the same.

2. Champions have random abilities. I think they said in inferno theres like 4+..so this makes it even harder since its always going to be different so it will be like fighting a new boss everytime.

3. It is actually harder considering that Champions etc usually are in bigger mobs and since monsters are all the same maxed lvl, it will be like fighting 5 bosses.
    I think it's good, but, and this is a HUGE but (I know, that sounds very funny when you say it out loud :P).

I think the best drops in the game should be when you kill a boss for the first time. In fact, it should be twice as good as unique/champion drops. Afterwards it should be on par or less than unique/champions.
    The reason why I say this is, the first time I kill an act boss, I want it to be difficult and I want to feel rewarded for completing a milestone like that, I feel it's very important. If you go and kill a boss the second time, then your just farming it, so then the loot deserves to be crappy.
    Sounds like a good system to me. The best way to go about farming up items then seems to me to be to pick any area and just clear everything. If there's a boss you might as well go kill it (unless you know that for some reason it's a huge pain due to your particular build/gear), since you aren't guaranteed to find any rare spawns in that same time it takes you to down the boss even if you left and (re)started an area.

Unless Blizzard specifically sets up an area differently I'd expect an equal chance for rare/champion mobs everywhere. If some areas become the de facto farm areas due to monster types/monster density/environment or something else, they can most likely lower the chance for champions to appear in that area. Or they can implement some kind of bonus in areas you haven't visited for a while, like I think they talked about as one possibility.

Quote from Azjenco
    I think the best drops in the game should be when you kill a boss for the first time. In fact, it should be twice as good as unique/champion drops. Afterwards it should be on par or less than unique/champions.

That sounds reasonable to me as long as by "best drops" you mean highest chance for something good, as I expect you do.
    Quote from CherubDown

I can see a negative point. Everyone likes to grind items (see DiabloWiki.com - Diablo 2 Diablo 2).

That means we will farm the whole Inferno, or areas we like, instead of boring and repetitive same boss runs.

Quote from CherubDown

it's likely that people will find the areas that spawn the most amount of Rares/Champions (like DiabloWiki.com - Pindleskin Pindleskin, except not really). If that happens, wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose?

Its possible you will find an area with the best spawns of rares/chimps, but you know whats the beauty of it? Next week you will return and wont find those extra rares ;) Devs said many times they'll monitor drops/areas, and if some location will be farmed less, and some - more, they'll simply adjust it.
    Definitely like this change. Bosses are epic because they are epic encounters, and now these special mobs whose encounter isn't quite as epic suddenly become epic because they have the best chance of epic gear. More epic encounters = win

When farming bosses it feels like swimming through trash because you KNOW where the boss is and roughly how long it will be before you get there and everything prior has no chance of making you happy...with this system you have no idea when you're going to run into that next super lootbag so seeing these rare spawns will be like seeing a rare item drop all on their own
    For the sake of variety, I like it. And it adds to the whole "you gotta make your own adventure, it's all random".

For the sake of tradition, I feel it kind of lowers the importance of big huge act bosses and the mini-bosses too.

I'd like to see bosses/minibosses always, no matter what, drop something, albeit being almost always of smaller value than rares/champions, but then these guys have a much smaller chance of dropping stuff (which is how I actually think they're doing right now).
    I voted good, but with the caveat that in normal (or at least on the first kill of each boss) it would be cool if the reverse was true. Just killing stuff >> boss runs, but it's nice to get a substantial reward the first time you down a boss.
    Quote from Zero(pS)

For the sake of variety, I like it. And it adds to the whole "you gotta make your own adventure, it's all random".

For the sake of tradition, I feel it kind of lowers the importance of big huge act bosses and the mini-bosses too.

I'd like to see bosses/minibosses always, no matter what, drop something, albeit being almost always of smaller value than rares/champions, but then these guys have a much smaller chance of dropping stuff (which is how I actually think they're doing right now).

I'm liking the change too. I was just curious if anyone on here had any really good objections to it. Any contrarians out there? :)
    Quote from Kardax2

-Kardax

/thread
    ...i think the model they use now is the best one...
    the first Boss-kill will drop good/very good loot... and from there on the action will pass to Rares and Champs...in random appearances... can it get any better than that??? ;)
    I like the idea myself. Teleporting to the end bosses gets very boring and tedious after awhile.

Also,
    I thought the rares and champions were going to be a lot more like boss fights in D3.
    Like that 1st gameplay video they showed.
    One is never hurt by being given additional choices, only by taking them away.
    A QUADRILLION MAGIC FIND is worthless if you can't kill shit!
    I can finally spend time in the places I enjoy playing! That's how I feel too (seems to be the consensus) and hope that Inferno remains very challenging even with maxed out gear.

I like the idea that first kills on Bosses have some kind of drop boost that would feel really nice I think. :lol:
    If that made sense to you, Bravo! I think I even confused myself...
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes