Is Blizz using Beta as a marketing ploy?

Quote from Zoltor

Quote from Verity

Quote from Designation15

That is the point of EVERY beta/demo. It's to give you a taste of the game, and see if you would potentially buy the game. As for the tinfoil hat stuff about how they purposely mucked up the DH class is pure, grade A, unadulterated BS.

I beg to differ. Contrary to popular belief the point of a beta is to find and fix bugs easier and on a wide variety of systems. The added promotion/hype and such you get is really only a bonus. Which companies use very well of course, e.g. competitions such as the ones we have seen.

If the only reason was to demo the game then it would be a demo, which is kinda not the same.

Sure I'm nitpicking, of course the beta is also a chance for customers to test the game and try it out, but that's not the main purpose.

OMG exactly, it pisses me off that some people out there think, that Beta is for giving people a taste of the game.

It gives people a taste of the game and let's them test for bugs. Honestly, out of everyone who is in the beta right now from opt-in or key contest winners, who is actively truing to find bugs/glitches? I'm guessing somewhere between 0%-0.01%.
    Quote from Designation15

Quote from Zoltor

Quote from Verity

Quote from Designation15

That is the point of EVERY beta/demo. It's to give you a taste of the game, and see if you would potentially buy the game. As for the tinfoil hat stuff about how they purposely mucked up the DH class is pure, grade A, unadulterated BS.

I beg to differ. Contrary to popular belief the point of a beta is to find and fix bugs easier and on a wide variety of systems. The added promotion/hype and such you get is really only a bonus. Which companies use very well of course, e.g. competitions such as the ones we have seen.

If the only reason was to demo the game then it would be a demo, which is kinda not the same.

Sure I'm nitpicking, of course the beta is also a chance for customers to test the game and try it out, but that's not the main purpose.

OMG exactly, it pisses me off that some people out there think, that Beta is for giving people a taste of the game.

It gives people a taste of the game and let's them test for bugs. Honestly, out of everyone who is in the beta right now from opt-in or key contest winners, who is actively truing to find bugs/glitches? I'm guessing somewhere between 0%-0.01%.

That's because it is not a beta. If it smells like a demo, looks like a demo, and walks like a demo, don't be shocket when people treat it like a Demo.

I repeat, in no way, shape or form is this thing, a beta.
    Quote from Zoltor
    That's because it is not a beta. If it smells like a demo, looks like a demo, and walks like a demo, don't be shocket when people treat it like a Demo.

Of course it is. There's no reason to think otherwise, considering it's called a Closed Beta. Your opinion of the matter won't change that in any regards.

If this was a beta masked as a demo, they'd have an open beta like BF3 did recently.

Everyone knows you hate Blizzard, but you inserting your hatred for them in every thread without regards to logic or common sense is getting quite old.
    Quote from superfula

Quote from Zoltor

Of course it is. There's no reason to think otherwise, considering it's called a Closed Beta. Your opinion of the matter won't change that in any regards.

If this was a beta masked as a demo, they'd have an open beta like BF3 did recently.

Everyone knows you hate Blizzard, but you inserting your hatred for them in every thread without regards to logic or common sense is getting quite old.

You're wrong, open beta doesn't=demo. This is not a closed beta this is a limited access demo.

It's a Demo There's next to no content(lol it could be ran through in under 30 min for crying out loud), there's almost no patching/bug fixing going on, and they sure a hell aren't even stress testing the servers.

Closed beta is separate from this joke that blizzard dares to call a beta(the closed beta is going on internally, this Demo is not closed beta). Also for your information, not allowing people in, creates hype, another marketing ploy.
    What Blizzard has done, was tarnish the term beta.

On top of that you have the blizzard marketing BS(this F&F crap, the press BS, and now the key BS which is like a big game to Blizzard, all of which would never be done to a beta). Oh yea, lets not forget, in a closed beta, there is always a NDA(lol even in Blizzard games as well), the reason there is no NDA, is(drumroll please), is It's not a beta(not a closed beta, not a open beta, not any kind of beta at all).

Blizzard can call this Demo whatever they want, but that doesn't change the fact, It's a damn demo. If you think this is a Beta, I doubt you have ever been in a beta before.
    Quote from Zoltor

Quote from superfula

Quote from Zoltor

You're wrong, open beta doesn't=demo. This is not a closed beta this is a limited access demo.

It's a Demo There's next to no content(lol it could be ran through in under 30 min for crying out loud), there's almost no patching/bug fixing going on, and they sure a hell aren't even stress testing the servers.

Thats my whole point right there. What BLizz is doing now is in no way shape or form progressing the game. They dont give us any evidence of what they do from 9 to 5, all week long. They have a whole team for this game to fix Demon Hunter resource? And the 3 bugs per week that arise in this epic beta?

The only possible reason I see for any delay is that all the screenshots and interviews were bs, so the game isnt anywhere near ready and this beta demo is all they have, past that nothing is implemented. (Even though datamined info suggests they've done everything)

Or that they are scraping all the design decisions (and I dont mean silly DH resource) like whole pvp comcept, re-introducing the talisman, introducing or remaking a whole class.

But this is not whats happening. So as far as I am aware they are chilling on the beach somewhere in Hawaii whislt the game that me and millions of other people want to finally play is being promoted in such a sadistic, carrot (beta key) on the stick way.
    Quote from venom1stas

Quote from Zoltor

Quote from superfula

Quote from Zoltor

Thats my whole point right there. What BLizz is doing now is in no way shape or form progressing the game. They dont give us any evidence of what they do from 9 to 5, all week long. They have a whole team for this game to fix Demon Hunter resource? And the 3 bugs per week that arise in this epic beta?

The only possible reason I see for any delay is that all the screenshots and interviews were bs, so the game isnt anywhere near ready and this beta demo is all they have, past that nothing is implemented. (Even though datamined info suggests they've done everything)

Or that they are scraping all the design decisions (and I dont mean silly DH resource) like whole pvp comcept, re-introducing the talisman, introducing or remaking a whole class.

But this is not whats happening. So as far as I am aware they are chilling on the beach somewhere in Hawaii whislt the game that me and millions of other people want to finally play is being promoted in such a sadistic, carrot (beta key) on the stick way.

Well, I'm pretty sure their team is still doing internal testing, but yea, they sure as hell aren't telling us about their progress or lack there of, so who knows how It's going.
    Quote from ECBron

I honestly think the beta is what it is. A brief demo of about two hours of gameplay so they can test servers, gameplay mechanics, and just let the media and fans get a general feel of the game. There are certain aspects that make me think that it is an "accelerated" demo. Meaning, the rate you gain XP from lvl 1-13 seems unrealistic.

Not that I'm in beta, but from what I can tell it seems right, by the skellie king you will probably be lvl 6-8 (you only get 13 in this beta with lots of farming). And the higher levels scale, so they keep getting slower and slower.
    Call it what you want. Beta/Demo, at this point it doesn't really matter. You can argue and argue about which is more true, it being a beta, or it being a demo. Well, the bottom line is IT IS BOTH.

Why else would they give it to the press. You don't give the press a Beta to test for bugs. You don't give a beta to friends and family to test for bugs. You don't give press sites, and fansites extra beta keys to give away. You don't hold a sweepstakes to give away a beta. It doesn't make sense. Its more like a limited access, exclusive, demo. The perk of it is they give people a place to leave feedback, and report bugs, just like any other demo/full game. Its a perk.

With that conclusion, it is a marketing ploy, and there's no arguing that. Spreading the demo about fansites, newsites, facebook, youtube, is just free publicity. It makes the people who get a chance to play feel like an insider, while the rest of those who don't get to drool in anticipation. You cannot argue those cold hard facts. It being a 'beta' is just a perk. Its more of a demo, but it has beta qualities.

Edit: I think i said its a perk lol.
    Ok check this post from a beta tester:

I have noticed 0 crashes, and only a couple minor bugs, which are already noted in the forums. I've played through each character to 13 on either my work computer or my home computer, and all is good in the Diablo hood. Keep up the good work fellas! I look forward diving deeper into the depths of the INFERNO.

http://www.diablofans.com/blizz-tracker/topic/202672/no-bugs-good-bugs

Just further shows that as it stand, and as far as playerbase are aware, the game isnt being developed, or worked on in a way that would justify the realease date push back.

Beta is pretty much clean bug free demo and any other development is not being mentioned anywhere.
    To be honest, if this is a marketing ploy they aren't doing a very good job.

I have yet to seen any beta hype die so fast as this one.

After first week it was more or less dead silent. The game looked like every other youtube vid I have seen out there, the limited beta didn't show or reveal anything worth watching more than 20 minutes.

So basically the ones plyaing may have fun but from a viewers point of view I find this is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

If they wanted to keep the beta interest alive they should have added PvP arenas. People would watch those streams for much longer than killing same shit over and over again.
    I too find myself wondering what exactly is going on behind the scenes. Do they even plan on pushing out the new DH mechanics and/or the weapon damage updates at some point??

I'd like to see the dev team be more forthcoming once BlizzCon's underway a week and a half from now, and all the way through to release.
    Many factors (mostly the fact that their using a later version internally) make it pretty obvious that the beta is much more for server stability than anything else. You don't need the latest version or all that much of a beta in terms of content to test servers, so its pretty self explanatory to me.

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the news team.
    DiabloFans: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Live Chat
    Seems they are more worried about internal testing right now. Might not be ready for any changes to be patched yet. It does feel like a demo, guess we will see in the next couple months what happens. But it is nice to see more and more chances to get your hands on a beta key, but that will only hold you for so long.

At least add a pvp option to beta, that would add some longevity.

Wonder what new information we will hear at Blizzcon?? they will have to give us something, because the initial buzz is dying off from the closed beta release.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes