Diablo III beta blog post

Just posted my first blog about the beta if anyone wanted to read a little bit about it through the eyes of an extreme D1/D2 veteran. Feel free to shoot me any questions if you have them.

Mod-Edit: to read his "blog" click on his nickname (profile) and go to the "blogs" tab.

Or just click on this image under his username. (ScyberDragon Edit).
    Was a good read.
    "Got my F&F beta invite last night (finally, I thought they were teasing me just for fun), and got my first go at the beta."

In all seriousness though. Excellent post. Please, keep them coming.

Ha. Bagstone.

Thanks for a good read.
    +1 friend this is the best post in weeks. It's a nice break from the fing "will beta start today" post spam. NOM NOM NOM yummy lore.
    Very nice read
    Hardcore is the only way to play
    I've been playing with Snared04Drummer, so I'll add my addendum.

Demon Hunter: Summed up, it lacks DPS and is too resource hungry, a bad combo. It could be really good, but right now it just kinda sucks. I really want to like this class. I tried to make myself feel relevant with bolo, but I really wasn't. Sadly it's that simple, too little dps for too much resource cost.

Monk: I don't know if he can compete with Barb DPS, but I love how he plays. Crippling wave is a great skill, it outshines fist of thunder and exploding palm in the beta. The fact you can generate your own spirit is a huge advantage. Crippling wave is an awesome skill. Great DPS combined with healing, great class. This was one of my favorites from the beginning, and most likely my first class to roll come launch.

Witch Doctor: It gets better as you level. At lower levels he kinda sucks. Once you reach fire bats, he kind of comes into his own. Before that you might find yourself relying on grasp of the dead. As far as mana regen, you don't really have to worry about it at this point. Overall I found the skills awkward to use, especially plague of toads and zombie charger.

I have to agree that dual wielding just isn't as good as a quality 2h weapon. I tried to make it work, but the numbers were against me. So far crafting is awesome.
    Great reads, keep 'em coming ;)
    Quote from voiceofreason

Witch Doctor: It gets better as you level. At lower levels he kinda sucks. Once you reach fire bats, he kind of comes into his own. Before that you might find yourself relying on grasp of the dead. As far as mana regen, you don't really have to worry about it at this point. Overall I found the skills awkward to use, especially plague of toads and zombie charger.

Quick question regarding the WD (as I was planning on making that my first char): do you feel that the 'akwardness' of the class and the few skills you mentioned would be overcome or even adjusted to after a period of time playinf around and getting used to them or do you think it is actually a restriction or constraint to fight against? Or, even more extreme, is it something that needs to be changed by Blizz?

Also, am I just being a muppet or is there no link to the blog?! :S
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain...
    You need to click on Snared's account and press "blog" in it. Confusing, I know. There should be a better way.

EDIT: That wasn't sarcasm btw. In case it sounded like it. :P

Ha. Bagstone.

Edited the original post to make it clear for everyone how to access his blog.

Thanks for your impressions by the way, really well written.
    Quote from overneathe

You need to click on Snared's account and press "blog" in it. Confusing, I know. There should be a better way.

EDIT: That wasn't sarcasm btw. In case it sounded like it. :P

No worries. I tried clicking on him and searching for a homepage, didn't realise there was a blog setting.
    I failed at looking, so sarcasm away :)
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain...
    Quote from ElKapitan

Quote from voiceofreason

Quick question regarding the WD (as I was planning on making that my first char): do you feel that the 'akwardness' of the class and the few skills you mentioned would be overcome or even adjusted to after a period of time playinf around and getting used to them or do you think it is actually a restriction or constraint to fight against? Or, even more extreme, is it something that needs to be changed by Blizz?

You can polish a turd with enough work, but of all the classes, it felt the least useful from start to finish. The barbarian, wizard, and monk were just awesome from the word "go" especially once you got electrocute with the wizard, and a 2h weapon on the monk and barbarian. Like I said in my "Class Impressions" blog entry, I think it will get better as it goes, but it definitely seems to be the weakest early game class by far, barring some kind of future adjustment to the Demon Hunter.
    Quote from snared04drummer

Mod-Edit: to read his "blog" click on his nickname (profile) and go to the "blogs" tab.

... and I almost thought he might be the reincarnation of Lois Lane, because he just didn't take the hint, but he fooled us all.
    "Traitors! Even in death, the armies of Khanduras will still obey their king!"

Quote from ElKapitan

Quote from voiceofreason

You can polish a turd with enough work, but of all the classes, it felt the least useful from start to finish. The barbarian, wizard, and monk were just awesome from the word "go" especially once you got electrocute with the wizard, and a 2h weapon on the monk and barbarian. Like I said in my "Class Impressions" blog entry, I think it will get better as it goes, but it definitely seems to be the weakest early game class by far, barring some kind of future adjustment to the Demon Hunter.

Weird, from all the streams I've watched, the Monk seems the most dull and boring of all the classes, by FAR. WD seems to be the most versatile and has the most unique builds when you look at the talent calculator.

I was TOTALLY unimpressed with the footage of the Monk and his talent calculator.

I wouldn't worry too much about the WD feeling weak or whatever. This is just one guys opinion. Different strokes for different folks.
    good read for sure. Keep it up.
    Dedicated fan since 96.
    So whats happen when u play the D3 beta with other player account?
    Can u get banned by Blizzard?A guy is streaming using other player's account...
    http://clgaming.net/live/565-clg-hotshotgg

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure the DPS output might not be up to the standards of other classes but do you get more of a sense of utility with the Witch Doctor? Things like Zombie Dogs and Grasp seem to allow you to control the fight more, rather than going all guns blazing.

Quote from Alcovitch

Weird, from all the streams I've watched, the Monk seems the most dull and boring of all the classes, by FAR. WD seems to be the most versatile and has the most unique builds when you look at the talent calculator.

I was TOTALLY unimpressed with the footage of the Monk and his talent calculator.

I wouldn't worry too much about the WD feeling weak or whatever. This is just one guys opinion. Different strokes for different folks.

As soon as I saw some Beta footage and played around with the skill calc for the WD I changed my mind about first class from the Barbarian. The skills look so much more fun and varied. I don't overly mind about any early damage differences, I'm sure this would either even out over time or be balanced by the WDs utility abilities.

I'm more concerned about whether the skills feel cumbersome or unwieldy. If it's hard to actually 'target' with skills like Toads and Charger it might lose some of the appeal to be constantly frustrated not being able to hit moving targets (something like an D2 Act 2 leaper would be a nightmare!)
    Very much enjoyed your play through video. Awesome stuff and love the commentary. Hopefully you can do a DH next.. After the skill changes of course. =D

I'd like to point out that your game volume was a bit too loud, and sometimes I couldn't quite hear what you were saying.
    I'll be recording and posting a coop footage from a Wizard's perspective later today.

Also, I just added a gallery with EVERY available crafting recipe in the beta. Some good stuff in there, make sure you check it out.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes