Φ Graphics Discussion (New art style proposal to Blizzard)

Poll: which graphics should D3 use?

which graphics should D3 use?

which graphics should D3 use? - Multiple Choice

• Graphics similar to Baldur's Gate 2 50% of Users - 1 votes
  • Graphics similar to Diablo II 100% of Users - 2 votes
  • Graphics similar to Dungeon Siege II 50% of Users - 2 votes
  • Graphics similar to Elder Scroll IV: Oblivion 50% of Users - 1 votes
  • Graphics similar to Fable 50% of Users - 1 votes
  • Graphics similar to Final Fantasy XI 50% of Users - 1 votes
  • Graphics similar to God of War 50% of Users - 1 votes
  • Graphics similar to Guild Wars 50% of Users - 1 votes
  • Graphics similar to Heroes of Might and Magic V 50% of Users - 1 votes
  • Graphics similar to Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 50% of Users - 1 votes
  • Graphics similar to Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 50% of Users - 1 votes
  • Graphics similar to Neverwinter Nights 50% of Users - 1 votes
  • Graphics similar to Sacred 50% of Users - 1 votes
  • Graphics similar to Titan Quest 50% of Users - 1 votes
  • Graphics similar to Warcraft III (when you scroll the mouse wheel) 0% of Users - 0 votes
  • Graphics similar to World of Warcraft 0% of Users - 0 votes
    It shouldn't be on the price of-
    Why do you blame us for delaying the game or shorten it story wise...
    If all the changes will be made according to the petition do you have any idea how much it will take to implant it ingame? no you don't have, I don't have.
    only the devs know.
    So stop thinking about time, think about what it will add to our game! you waited so long what is couple of more months to make it the best ever.
    And did you played the lastest games in the market lol? the graphic they showed us is soooo old like 2004 or so, only the physic is new one.
    If you don't have a pc that can run games from 2004 it's about time to buy new one no?

Sentence of the year:
    "WoW, It's like a disease"
    Quote from "Herbierks" »
    Looking at the Forum before Diablo 3 was anounced everyone was absolutely HIPED for it and then it happened.

But people began to diss its graphics because there cartoony i mean come on are you blind especialy when its outside what do u what a black sun that gives the slightest bit of light and you guys are talking unrealistic i mena come on.

I hope for god sakes you double think all this crap or i just hope there is no way you can buy the dam game and enjoy it like everyone else will !

you are totally misunderstanding of what we talking about..if you have a very carefully reading of this thread from the first page then you would know whats the realistic about...

DIFFERENT ARTISTS MAKES DIFFERENT GAME!!NEW CLASS of WoW above.
    Quote from "tenaciousg" »
    it has many flaws - horrible fps issues, crashes, problems running the game even with top of the line computers, little content for level 80 and there's plenty more i could name,

So because Age of Conan has little content and bugs - the graphics are at fault???
    Did you not read my post??

I didnt say COPY AoC and call it D3.
    I said use the "G-R-A-P-H-I-C-S FROM AOC", leave the content from blizzard.
    What is so hard to understand??
    ~
    "[Diablo1+2] obviously had the gothic look to it, but, you they weren't, they weren't very uh, very colorful games."
    "We want to take dark as an emotion, rather than an actual color art choice." -Rob Pardo

"Why the hell shouldn't it be for 'kiddies', it's a goddamn game afterall." -lethlan
    Bio of the D3 art director:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,53715/

Its easy to see why it looks like it looks.
    Even though much has happened in his eyes, to us its a huge step towards WOW.
    Quote from "Mazarrin" »
    Blizzard is known for making games that can run on low system requirements. Every game company, or most of them, will try to fill up all the memory available for the game. The Higher the system requirements the less space a game will have for other things like LENGHT and GAMEPLAY. As much as I urge blizzard to change the graphic theme to what it was in DII, I would never ask them to upgrade those shaders and bloom at the price of gameplay or game length.

Space for what? They can have the game in production for 10 more years if that's what it takes to make Diablo 3.
    Again space... space like DVD space. Memory? More expensive to produce?

The gameplay seems fine. Without it it's not Diablo. Game lenght has always been both Blizzard and Diablo's strong side. So?
    They can take as much time as they need to make Diablo 3 as it should be. A certain visual masterpiece- one of the elements that WERE there a bit, but lacked on a different level. Eye-candy wise. Again the same mistake and even more so defined by curent standards, now along with the complete removal of atmosphere. If they could have ruined it it would look as it does now.

Think about it- their point is to make money, yes? Which will bring them more money?
    1) a good game? 100 million sold units
    or
    2)a great game? 200 million sold units(which with current developments isn't going to be)
    Quote from "KonataX" »
    lol it can still easily be a ranger since who said you cant shoot arrows at melee distance xD

Quote from "Archie" »
    The Barbarian is from Arreat, a very cold snowy mountain top, but they are much tougher than normal humans, so they don't need warmth.

Quote from "Archie" »
    Where are Barbarians originally from? Sumeria, or more specifically Mesopotamia, AKA Europe. Think the Alps and the Pyrenees

Epic quotes... all of them
    Man, if I knew just gameplay affected a game, I'd still be playing text-based MUDs!

Can't some people grasp the fact that graphics AFFECT gameplay, and vice versa?! Graphics create IMMERSION, which determines the kind of actions you are performing as a character. For example, in Starcraft, lots of bloom and explosions negatively affects the gameplay, because it is much more important to know where your units than to see fancy effects!

But Diablo is an RPG, with basically one set perspective, a linear plot, and one character. Therefore the graphics are MUCH more important, ESPECIALLY with a loot system. From time to time, you want to zoom in on your character fighting demons and stuff. And because RPGs are often about immersion, the gameplay should INCLUDE alot of graphical effects to hammer the point that you are in epic battle fighting monstes and such.

Graphics and gameplay aren't these separable things. They are very much connected.

The only reason we usually talk about "gameplay" first is that it is much harder challenge to get good gameplay and than it is good graphics. BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY AREN'T EQUALLY IMPORTANT.
    Quote from "nasser" »
    So because Age of Conan has little content and bugs - the graphics are at fault???
    Did you not read my post??

I didnt say COPY AoC and call it D3.
    I said use the "G-R-A-P-H-I-C-S FROM AOC", leave the content from blizzard.
    What is so hard to understand??

i'm sorry, do you know what company we are talking about?

blizzard entertainment. that name alone should tell you they cater to a very large amount of gamers world wide not 1. and yes graphics are at fault with age of conan, they went for beauty instead of gameplay and any good source mapper knows Gameplay>Looks.
    Quote from "Paladin88" »
    Space for what? They can have the game in production for 10 more years if that's what it takes to make Diablo 3.
    Creation space. Aka time. They need time to make graphics, time to make the game.

Quote from "Paladin88" »
    They can take as much time as they need to make Diablo 3 as it should be.
    Not after they announced it, they can't.

Quote from "Paladin88" »
    Think about it- their point is to make money, yes? Which will bring them more money?
    or
    2)a great game? 200 million sold units(which with current developments isn't going to be)
    Diablo II only sold for 5 million, including LoD. StarCraft sold for 9. WoW for 13. Bestselling game is 50 million... Sims. I don't think greatness and selling have anything in common.
    blizzard entertainment. that name alone should tell you they cater to a very large amount of gamers world wide not 1.
    Blizzard Entertainment never had a high-quality 3D game made. WoW is not what I would call "Really good graphics".
    Agree complete, plz no kiddy graphic
    Quote from "Paladin88" »
    or

wrong, their goal is to launch a successful title and get more people into gaming and having fun and enjoying themselves when they are playing the game. <that should be the goal for any gaming company.
    Quote from "Paladin88" »

The gameplay seems fine. Without it it's not Diablo. Game lenght has always been both Blizzard and Diablo's strong side. So?
    They can take as much time as they need to make Diablo 3 as it should be. A certain visual masterpiece- one of the elements that WERE there a bit, but lacked on a different level. Eye-candy wise. Again the same mistake and even more so defined by curent standards, now along with the complete removal of atmosphere. If they could have ruined it it would look as it does now.

or

Gameplay and Game Lenght have been blizzards strong side because they used dated software. It lets them sacrifice graphics for gameplay. This is where it gets rough, the more a game in demanding the more space it takes on a dvd, and you can only have so many dvd's before your game is not profitable anymore. Beleave me when I say that graphics are like a vampire on disk space, they jump on that dvd and suck the space right out of it.

Even so, there is no way I will stand by and let blizzard get away with a replica of WoW. This does not mean making better graphics, it means changing the textures. The revamped images on the first page, you can chnage those textures, ALL OF THEM, within a week time... a full game textures can be changed in a month or 2.
    Quote from "XanderV" »
    BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY AREN'T EQUALLY IMPORTANT.
    You suggest that graphics are just as important as gameplay? I strongly disagree.
    wrong, their goal is to launch a successful title and get more people into gaming and having fun and enjoying themselves when they are playing the game. <that should be the goal for any gaming company.

Wrong, the goal of any gaming company is money... what where you thinking...
    Quote from "Equinox" »
    You suggest that graphics are just as important as gameplay? I strongly disagree.

They're close to the importance of the gameplay, i've been reading opinions like "who cares about the graphics, i want to slay monsters", do you agree? What would you think if the walls were made with MS Paint in vibrant pinks and strong greens?

Graphics are a big part of a game, especially when that game has a characteristic mood and rich lore like Diablo.
    PETITION TO CHANGE D3 ARTISTIC DIRECTION: http://www.petitiononline.com/d3art/petition.html
    Having played both diablos and titan quest, I can say its the isometric nature of diablo that truly gives it its feel. Titan quest is a great game, but it simply failed to capture what diablo has done. Diablo 3 reminds me of titan quest in its look and feel, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The overall feel of the graphics is more or less a by-product of being fully rendered in 3D at a high resolution.

However, the argument against the "large shoulder pads" and a call for "realistic armor" is kinda dumb if you take a second to look at the armor in diablo 2. The fact is diablo 2 has very stylized armor.

oh shit! necro shoulder pads!

having said that, I did sign the petition.
    Graphics is part of gameplay... noone wants to play game that plays good but looks like it doesn't take itself serious...noone wants a horror game in pooh world...
    Yea let's all play super mario it has great gameplay.
    no graphic whatsoever.

Sentence of the year:
    "WoW, It's like a disease"
    Quote from "Herbierks" »
    Are you wanting the standards high so most people cant buy them ...... ?
    If they made the graphics amazing by todays standards it would only be succesful on a 360 or Ps3 and wouldnt be its best for PC (As it could be)

Who cares if the final game runs only a high-end pc if in the end its graphics surpass our expectations?

'Let's put in some crap graphics in the game so that everybody can run it' is a sad and pathetic excuse that unfortunately Blizzard seems to adopt with the release of each of their new titles.

The only thing that matters to them is to make more profits on the heads of its fans and potential fans even if it means that in the end they give us a game that all gamers will not appreciate fully.

I'm sure that millions of diablo fans worldwide would not hesitate one second to buy a new pc or upgrade for a game that renews their experience of diablo 2 (the best game ever).

The diablo lore has already a large fanbase worldwide , which is bound to increase exponentially even if it requires a high-end pc to run without any glitches.

People saying that 'crysis was not a commercial success because it was too greedy in terms of system requirements' are twats.
    Diablo 2 nostalgics sign this petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/d3art/petition.html

EVIL, GRITTY AND SINISTER WE WANT.
    KEEP THE CARTOONS TO WOW!
    Quote from "remus" »
    Graphics is part of gameplay... noone wants to play game that plays good but looks like it doesn't take itself serious...noone wants a horror game in pooh world...

Jesus..... finally we get some people that make sense. And thanks everyone for signing this petition, we can do alote when we are whole together . :thumbsup:
    All the terror,despair,destruction,scare of Diablo vanished in the lastest sceens i really hope they will change light, color and better texure for a game of 2010 and i'm sure that blizzy will work hard on it.
    the style of WoW must stay in wow and warcraft only, Diablo is a total different game.

I wish a fuking terrorifing game with an amazing grafic like was Diablo2 in 1999.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes