Arcane Torrent + Arcane Dynamo

Not sure if this was picked up by people in general but Arcane Dynamo will now increase the damage of Arcane Torrent for as long as you maintain the channel so you can basically roll with a permanent 60% bonus to Torrent (and this should work with Disintegrate and Ray of Frost too, I only tried it with Torrent).

Have fun with it, personally I hope they break it though because it's pretty ridiculous.
    does it work with Archon too?
    Quote from Lohegrin

Not sure if this was picked up by people in general but Arcane Dynamo will now increase the damage of Arcane Torrent for as long as you maintain the channel so you can basically roll with a permanent 60% bonus to Torrent (and this should work with Disintegrate and Ray of Frost too, I only tried it with Torrent).

Have fun with it, personally I hope they break it though because it's pretty ridiculous.

It's called snapshotting. Arcane Dynamo worked that way with channeling spells for nearly two years all throughout vanilla D3's existence. The only time it didn't work was during the latter days of RoS's Beta and when Patch 2.01 launched. It was a bug. Patch 2.04 rectified this bug and now Arcane Dynamo is behaving the way it always has.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Quote from Jaetch

It's called snapshotting. Arcane Dynamo worked that way with channeling spells for nearly two years all throughout vanilla D3's existence. The only time it didn't work was during the latter days of RoS's Beta and when Patch 2.01 launched. It was a bug. Patch 2.04 rectified this bug and now Arcane Dynamo is behaving the way it always has.

I see. Hadn't played for an incredibly long time before the ros patch so I wasn't aware. I find it totally broken though, Arcane Torrent absolutely does not need that boost, it did plenty of damage as it was already.
    Last edited by Lohegrin: 4/9/2014 7:06:49 PM
    Jaetch, do You know if it works with archon's "first right click" ?
    Quote from Lohegrin

Didn't know that, thanks! Holy crap, +60% AT damage must be sick!
    Since Frozen Orb was fixed (range, explosive radius etc), I wanted to try something else.

So I went ahead to try out Ray of Frost, since i'm fortunate enough to get Light of Grace, + Arcane Dynamo (AD seems meh to FO), the damage is insane, even better than FO for packed elites, with Ray of Frost, I occasionally see 36m ticks on elites.

Give it a try if you're laset/AT spec, definitely worth a slot!
    You essentially have to stand still to maintain that 60% extra damage to any of the channels, and until you run out of AP.

So it has its downsides, and can be considered balanced.
    Quote from Okakeri

You essentially have to stand still to maintain that 60% extra damage to any of the channels, and until you run out of AP.

Yeah, especially considering how many monsters have abilities that push you and break channelling.
    Quote from Yvaivne

Since Frozen Orb was fixed (range, explosive radius etc), I wanted to try something else.

So I went ahead to try out Ray of Frost, since i'm fortunate enough to get Light of Grace, + Arcane Dynamo (AD seems meh to FO), the damage is insane, even better than FO for packed elites, with Ray of Frost, I occasionally see 36m ticks on elites.

Give it a try if you're laset/AT spec, definitely worth a slot!

I definitely have to try Arcane Dynamo, since I was experimenting with Ray of Frost yesterday(go a Light of Grace too) and It worked pretty good even without AD. What rune did you use for RoF? I played around with Cold Blood so I can pretty much spam if without losing so much AP(You can never go out of AP if you got some ApoC)

my profile: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Jasonx-1665/hero/7353622
    Last edited by Jasonx: 4/10/2014 3:29:13 AM
    Quote from malgav

Jaetch, do You know if it works with archon's "first right click" ?

Forgot to answer this.

Yes, you can snapshot AD stacks with Archon's Disintegration Wave as long as you maintain the channel just like all the other channeling spells.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Fun fact! Tal rasha SP meteors eat your AD stacks.... so anoying to time chanelled stuff in this situation =)) With a million things on screen i can't even tell if its actualy buffing those meteors dmg or its just leeching the proc...
    Quote from Okakeri

I would be standing still anyway and aside from things that forcibly move me (vortex and knockbacks) there are very few things that cause me to move even on t4/5. In group play, I'd move even less. The AP concern is the same whether you play with or without AD so it's not part of the consideration.

It has downsides but I don't think they're anywhere near enough to warrant it being +60%. Either make it effective only for the first X seconds of the channel or lower the damage bonus for channeled spells.

Quote from PowerofTwo

Fun fact! Tal rasha SP meteors eat your AD stacks.... so anoying to time chanelled stuff in this situation =)) With a million things on screen i can't even tell if its actualy buffing those meteors dmg or its just leeching the proc...

I did know this and this is actually a bigger downside than anything mentioned above imo. Thankfully it does use up the proc and also increases the damage of the dropped meteor (I made sure just now) so it isn't as annoying as it could be.
    I remember ages ago before monster power even I think, killing belial on inferno I used a Dynamo + Archon build to make phase 2 go by before getting overwhelmed by snakes.

It's great that it works for channeled again, as it promotes diversity, and variation to channel/beam builds.
    Quote from teri2

It's great that it works for channeled again, as it promotes diversity, and variation to channel/beam builds.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way it works I just think it's too powerful as it is now.
    And as I said earlier, its balanced in the fact that for channeled abilities, you have to recast it everytime you move for whatever reason. So you could get a full 5 stacks of it, and then waste it on a 2 second channeling when random enemy X knocks you up a little bit.
    I've been using a slow time build in conjunction with arcane dynamo. It's absolutely amazing and I'm loving every second of it.
    I just tried both ray of frost and arcane torrent, neither is giving me stacks for arcane dynamo. Has this been hotfixed or something?
    Quote from MadViking

I just tried both ray of frost and arcane torrent, neither is giving me stacks for arcane dynamo. Has this been hotfixed or something?

Stacks are from Signature (Electrocute,Spectral Blades etc) spells, not spenders (Ray of Frost, Arcane Torrent). Spenders are buffed by consuming stacks.
    Quote from blgns
    Quote from MadViking

Stacks are from Signature (Electrocute,Spectral Blades etc) spells, not spenders (Ray of Frost, Arcane Torrent). Spenders are buffed by consuming stacks.

Ok, this is exactly the way I thought the skill worked. As soon as I get 5 stacks from my sig spell and use a spender, I loose the dynamo stacks. Even if channeling arcane torrent, ray of frost etc. So what exactly are people discussing in this thread? Is this something that no longer works, i.e. patched or hotfixed? I honestly don't understand any of it....
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes