[Guide] Comprehensive CMWW Guide [PRE 2.0 PATCH]

Is there anything beyond super tight stunlock? Are you trying to freeze the entire game? Freeze the D3 servers? ;-)

I guess your crit chance is also quite high, so you could probably give up one APoC piece - at least against multiple mobs. But... there's always a trade-off, question is how much DPS you might sacrifice for your IAS then. Remember Loroese's study about the effective DPS loss at high APS break points. But anyways... tell us the results! ;-)
    I gave up 3K sheet DPS, but it looks like the multiplier for a single target is 9.2x, so my eDPS is well over 2 million.

I'm running 55% crit chance and it looks like everything is perma-frozen, but to me it also seems like elites can cast things during a very split second window. It's quite annoying, especially those with Frozen affix.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    The next one is 3.33334. That first table in the link Bagstone posted is measured but the table below has the actual mathematical breakpoints.
    Wizard DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    Crusader DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, meant for Crusaders
    My Wizard
    Are you using stretch time? How else are you hitting that breakpoint?

Edit: nevemind, just realized you have an IAS Chanto.
    nice guide!
    Hi

First, a very nice guide. Totally reignited my love for the Wiz once again. I have equipped my Wiz according to your guidance on stats.

I am asking with my current setup it seems to me that im a bit low on HP and armor. Do you have any suggestions on how to up my "lows" or on which MP I should farm/para-lvl with SA?

Would it just be a lot simpler to use Vit gems instead of Int gems?

Thx in advance.

http://eu.battle.net...658/hero/173073
    I started d3 with a wizard, but finally I prefered to play my dh, the thing is I mostly drop stuff for my wizard and I tend to hoard on thing I drop.

I realized tonight that my wizard is in fact pretty well stuffed, for the mere 1.5m I spent on the off-hand few days ago. Seeing how I manage to tank stuff I'll invest some gold on her in a near future.

Thanks for the guide it was really helpfull to get back on how I should try to play this class.
    http://eu.battle.net...781/hero/316410
    Really detailed thanks a lot
    Hey all,

I don't know what build to go with (CM/WW in general, but regarding IAS / crit / EHP, i Have no idea what I'm doing).

I have 20M gold and want to do higher MPs. MP7+ if possbible.

I'm Archon right now which is great for lower MPs, but for keys and Ubers I'll need CMWW or SNS or whatever.

Here's the question: do I spend the 20M now on a set or farm MP0 as Archon until I have more gold?

If I'm not gonna be able to get a MP7ish set with 20M I'll just wait.

Thanks in advance.
    I don't think 20M is gonna cut it. You can make a CM out of that much for gear but it won't be as effective as running archon on a lower MP. I think there's a 5M archon gearing guide around here somewhere if you do a search, but I think that equipment jumped in price after the guide was posted.
    Hello and thx for your guide m8!!

1 question from me...is it possible to run high mps with only blood magic as a source of lifesteal?
    No. Life steal gets nerfed to 20% on Inferno, which means it will give you 0.3% life back. Even if your "real DPS" is 1000000, this means you get 3000 life per second. LoH, on the other hand, will give you about 15-20k life per second back.

Use the CMWW calculator to put in your numbers and see how much life per second you get from LoH, and you'll see that it's impossible to get to the same rate with LS due to the Inferno nerf.

APS 2.31 2.5001 2.73 3.001
    LoH Equivalent 233 175 156 140

Here's a little table I made for some discussion in the official forums. What it shows is how much LoH you get per 1% Life Steal per 100k dps. It's assuming you do 7x your char sheet dps in effective dps and the effective LoH returns are 6, 8, 9, 10 for the respective APS breakpoints. In short, it's mainly an approximation but should give reasonable answers. It overapproximates the usefulness of LS if you have a lower dps multiplier, so maybe I should have used something like 6x. It's also based on single target dps, but more mobs should favor LS because you do more damage with DS and EB due to extra CM procs from more mobs.

If you want to have 900 LoH with just BM you'd need something like 343k dps with 2.5 APS. So basically BM alone isn't enough to make up for 900 LoH for most people. At 175k it's enough to make up for 450 LoH though, and some people run with around 400 LoH.

So BM alone isn't very optimal, but it's possible to some degree at high DPS.

To compare with Bagstone's example, if you do 1 mil effective dps at 2.5 APS, BM is worth about 3000 life per second which is equivalent to about 375 LoH.
    My Wizard
    Don't you need to take a few more things into account? Like, crit chance for example? The example I actually had in mind was this calc I posted earlier somewhere on the forums: http://d3cmww.com/cmww?configid=55131

88k sheet DPS, 1.5m real DPS (2 enemies for quite a long fight - simulating ubers here). Results in ~17k LPS, 12k of these just from LoH. Blood Magic would give about 4500-5000 LPS.
    Crit is accounted for in the char sheet dps, and I just used an approximation for effective dps. I can't see the results from that site because I use IE. How much LoH are you comparing to the BM 900? 4500 LPS from 1.5 mil dps is what I expect from BM.
    My Wizard
    Here's a screenshot of the sim: http://i48.tinypic.com/wrf7s0.jpg
    Thanks. That agrees fairly well with the numbers I was posting above. The effective loh gains per target for those results is around 7.5 which is lower than the value of 9 I use above, which should favor the LS more. I'd attribute the difference to having the extra mob. The 1.5% LS was about 28% of the life gain, and 28% of 800 is 218 so for that sim BM was worth about 218 LoH.

If you rerun the results but use 1018 LoH I imagine you should get about the same life return. The table above predicts it would be 205 LoH so the agreement is pretty good, though mine assumes 1 target and your sim was with 2 targets.
    My Wizard
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Telquessir-1437/hero/5121825

Where do I upgrade from here? I've been shelling out millions for minuscule upgrades and I'm just wondering if I'm missing something obvious. A 3.5% CC mempo doesn't do as much for me as the extra Int. Trifecta rings with dmg are beyond my price range atm.
    Quote from JKlimek

http://us.battle.net...37/hero/5121825

Where do I upgrade from here? I've been shelling out millions for minuscule upgrades and I'm just wondering if I'm missing something obvious. A 3.5% CC mempo doesn't do as much for me as the extra Int. Trifecta rings with dmg are beyond my price range atm.

IMO you need to pick up some resists and/or armor on pieces. CMWW wizards should always use SA when solo farming and should only use EA when in groups or high MP ubers if your dps contribution doesn't matter and you need it for survival. It's much more benefitial to have slightly lower dps but higher resists so you can run SA then go class cannon and try to make up for lack of survivability with EA. SA is just that good and adds a ton to your effective dps. You can even swap to shell over shards if needed but run SA.

If you want to see how much dps you're missing out on by not using SA try running a quick simulation on the website Bagstone posted above. There's also a thread floating around with a link to it. It's about as accurate as we have at the moment and should give a reasonable approximation to how much dps SA gives.

Also, CC adds to your char sheet dps but also makes the build work better so it adds to your effective dps multiplier. For example, I went from 50.5 to 55 CC recently, which increases my effective multiplier by about 5-6%, so I didn't mind losing a couple thousand dps since the extra crit means I do more effective dps despite having a lower char sheet dps.

As far as gear changes, personally I prefer running SC+non-APoC chanto OH. You get more dps out of it, it's far cheaper, and you can gain some crit since you're using a non-crit mempo. You can make up for some of the loss of life% by getting a high vit OH. The downside is the loss of resist, which you are lacking in most places. You also are between breakpoints so you can lose the IAS from the mempo without dropping you below the 2.73 breakpoint. The only reason to run higher is if you need better freezing strength, particularly against Ubers but should only really apply if you have 150-200+ ms latency. At 100 ms latency 2.73 should be sufficient with around 50% CC.

Picking up extra resists is not going to be cheap, sadly. You'll either have to trade dps for extra resists (such as chest, gloves, or rings) or drop hp a bit (like on pants, belt, shoulders).

If you do opt to switch back to a SC you can drop BM for electrify for better aoe or use teleport for extra survival and maneuverability. If you don't switch to SC you can drop your Lacuni for rare or crafted bracers with high Int, vit, CC, AR and armor. I'm really not a fan of lacuni for CMWW because you can get so much more DPS and/or EHP from crafting.
    My Wizard
    Thanks for the feedback. I do use storm armor instead of energy armor for farming and I switch into IAS pants for ubers which is why I'm sitting in between break points. I don't usually have survival issues, but I have been looking into crafting bracers because I think the Int and defense will help farm at 2.73 better. I am pretty strongly against switching to storm crow because you only get the one random stat and I feel like I'd be losing more EHP from the helm than I could pick up on the source. How do you feel about having no move speed? That's really what I've been looking at lately is swapping the boots for Ice Climbers and losing the IAS on the bracers for some stacked crafted ones.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes