[Guide] General Guide for Wizards in Inferno [PRE 2.0 PATCH]

Quote from Maxyim

Can you tell me why you don't have Prismatic Armor in your Critical Mass build? Also, Glass Cannon, seriously?

Your Critical Mass build pros and cons are all wrong, and the comment about either Prismatic OR Diamond Skin / Nova made me giggle a bit. :)

Also, for further reference, you really may want to be a bit more specific with regards to how to gear each build...

The critical mass build was taken directly from www.windupwizard.com, the author of which has recently popularized the energy twister - wicked wind version of the spec. I noted in the description of the spec that some builds will take prismatic armor and will build more defensively.
    At least the way the game is supposed to work, no specific talent is 'necessary' for success. So far Blizzard seems to be following through with this promise.
    Quote from n00bmasta0465546

Hi guys on the subject of EHP, I've been testing this out with a naked (gasp!) wiz
    Theres a damage range to hits so I have listed the max:

Colossal Gol - 159k (the big hit)
    Phase beasts(elite) - 128k (bonus! Firechains 29k)
    Swift skull cleaver - 177k
    Demonic tremor - 160k dodgable big hit, 100k 1hand hit
    I was also under the impression that elites get a 25% dmg boost? Can someone confirm
    Testing was done till 30sec death timer respawn reached and I remade

So it looks like 180k is the min you can get away with atm

I also dont think you should include dodge chance in EHP calcs for force armour. However successful hits will often 'bleed' through if you're dancing on the edge.

I consider the golgor, the skull cleavers, and the demonic tremors big hits as avoidable, so I didn't count them in coming up with the 117.5k number. The phasebeast hit of 128k is the highest normal mob hit thats basically unavoidable. You would need 94kish EHP for force armor to reduce that hit to 35% of your life. (128k / 1.35). An elite phasebeast will hit 25% harder, which is about 118k EHP needed to get the full reduction to 35% against one of those hits. I run with my EHP somewhere in the 120k range.
    Nice post, one thing you didn't mention that I found helpful with the arcane orb build when I used it was to have my Scoundrel use a, preferably fast, 2H bow with frost damage and stack IAS and vit on him, spec multi shot and you rarely need slow your self.

Hi guys on the subject of EHP, I've been testing this out with a naked (gasp!) wiz

I was also under the impression that elites get a 25% dmg boost? Can someone confirm

I also dont think you should include dodge chance in EHP calcs for force armour. However successful hits will often 'bleed' through if you're dancing on the edge.

Really appreciate that info :) That would put the max damage around 200k if you factor in +25% elite damage. I dont have it confirmed but it's the only number thrown around that I've seen. That gives another potential threshhold of about 164k to optimize Force Armor usage for those hits, 148k if you ignore the skull cleaver.

If I take into accout the naked armor and resists of 60 and 17 respectively (with Glass Cannon, if you didn't have Glass Cannon it will be a bit different) that 177k hit is actually 190k base damage using a calculated total damage reduction of around 7% naked. That means the thresshold would be 176k EHP for the elite skull cleaver, 159k EHP for the other hits. For comparison the other mob damage is expectected to have a max damage around 159k for elites, so the elites can hit as hard as normal tremors and Gols.

With around 120k EHP a normal skull cleaver would hit for 70k or a little over half your health if you have Force Armor. The Tremor would likewise bleed through for around 50k or a little below half your life. Elite versions would hit for around 238k and 215k respectively so a skull cleaver would practically one shot you with 120k EHP while the tremor would smash for some 70% of your health. That actually sounds about right.

I don't suppose you tested the fireball damage from the Molok's (or whatever they're called) and those other fireball hurling guys in Act 3, or any bosses?

EDIT: Those thressholds would be mostly optional because, as Morphos said a few posts up, these attacks should be avoided. I do want to add that trying to avoid elite tremor attacks is easier said than done because they're rediculously fast. With 12% movement speed if I run continuously I still can get caught and hit, so if you farm that part of Act 3, the higher EHP threshhold should be considered, imo.
    Wizard DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    Crusader DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, meant for Crusaders
    My Wizard
    Those builds aren't bad. As a wizard who has cleared inferno myself, I honestly did not use blink much at all. Boss fights were the only time I used it.

If you do not depend on Blink; I would switch blink with Diamond Skin and Shock pulse for Magic Missile - ( Seeker or Charged)
    Thanks for the guide, I've been using the standard kiting build but with diamond skin instead of teleport and relying on fast movement speed on boots to get away when needed. I'm going to give the others a go for a bit of fun and see what they're like.
    Thanks for this! Helped me out quit abit!
    very detailed.
    Thanks a lot Morphos!

I have question. Used Piercing Orb for awhile, but recently switched it to Electrocute
    - Lightning Blast. While i see downside - you have to stand and shoot much often to make use of high atack speed, i wonder why no one uses it in groups for example. Is it realy worse than Piercing Orb? I pesonely use it in solo too - PO gets annoing when it misses long range target.
    very well done post thank you for putting the main builds in all one place :)
    side note how much effective health is needed to not get owned with an archon build in act 3
    Quote from Loroese

Really appreciate that info :) That would put the max damage around 200k if you factor in +25% elite damage. I dont have it confirmed but it's the only number thrown around that I've seen. That gives another potential threshhold of about 164k to optimize Force Armor usage for those hits, 148k if you ignore the skull cleaver.

If I take into accout the naked armor and resists of 60 and 17 respectively (with Glass Cannon, if you didn't have Glass Cannon it will be a bit different) that 177k hit is actually 190k base damage using a calculated total damage reduction of around 7% naked. That means the thresshold would be 176k EHP for the elite skull cleaver, 159k EHP for the other hits. For comparison the other mob damage is expectected to have a max damage around 159k for elites, so the elites can hit as hard as normal tremors and Gols.

With around 120k EHP a normal skull cleaver would hit for 70k or a little over half your health if you have Force Armor. The Tremor would likewise bleed through for around 50k or a little below half your life. Elite versions would hit for around 238k and 215k respectively so a skull cleaver would practically one shot you with 120k EHP while the tremor would smash for some 70% of your health. That actually sounds about right.

I don't suppose you tested the fireball damage from the Molok's (or whatever they're called) and those other fireball hurling guys in Act 3, or any bosses?

EDIT: Those thressholds would be mostly optional because, as Morphos said a few posts up, these attacks should be avoided. I do want to add that trying to avoid elite tremor attacks is easier said than done because they're rediculously fast. With 12% movement speed if I run continuously I still can get caught and hit, so if you farm that part of Act 3, the higher EHP threshhold should be considered, imo.

elite tremors hits are not easy to avoid by any means they are way too fast, so I think the optimal ehp to famr an area with them would be around 150-160k EHP.
    Quote from Wakka9000

Thanks a lot Morphos!

I have question. Used Piercing Orb for awhile, but recently switched it to Electrocute
    - Lightning Blast. While i see downside - you have to stand and shoot much often to make use of high atack speed, i wonder why no one uses it in groups for example. Is it realy worse than Piercing Orb? I pesonely use it in solo too - PO gets annoing when it misses long range target.

I've used both at various points and each has their advantage. I think the main advantage of LB over Porb is if you have +AP on crit since LB shoots faster and more often. From a damage stand point I don't actually know which does more dps but I would guess Porb, if you're standing still and shooting constantly, and can hit what you're aiming at.
    My Wizard
    Thanks OP for this informative post. Its nice to have someone willing to put in the effort to help educate the rest of the player base. I was wondering if you would mind if I repost this information on my website, Diablo 3 Inferno Builds . I'd like to help spread this information and I would include back link back to this site so it is evident where the information came from. This site just started roughly three weeks ago and i've been working on filling it with some quality content so I hope you consider it! Thanks again for the information.
    Great post, thanks much for the guide!
    Quote from Sceleus

Thanks OP for this informative post. Its nice to have someone willing to put in the effort to help educate the rest of the player base. I was wondering if you would mind if I repost this information on my website, Diablo 3 Inferno Builds . I'd like to help spread this information and I would include back link back to this site so it is evident where the information came from. This site just started roughly three weeks ago and i've been working on filling it with some quality content so I hope you consider it! Thanks again for the information.

I don't mind you linking it at all as long as you attribute it and don't claim it as your own.
    This thread needs a sticky!

Some amazing information in here.
    Love all the different builds and in dept information about them.
    Also the gear section is great as well.

I just hit 60 with my wiz last night and will be referencing this thread a LOT, thanks Morphos!
    Hello,

First of all great post!

What i am interested in is, why not use familiar with sprk flint instead of a venom hydra?
    You then will do extra dps and u don't have to pop the hydra all the time.
    According to most sources, Cold Blooded increases all damage, not just cold damage. This makes it, in my opinion, superior to Galvanizing Ward in a Blizzard kiting build. I also found that after going away from Galvanizing Ward my Energy Armor uptime improved to pretty much 100%, from a before a bit more sloppy uptime. I'm guessing the fact that it's shorter increased my awareness on it.

Furthermore a reflection on hardcore, Wormhole is excellent for hardcore due to Teleport sometimes bugging out and getting you nowhere. Wormhole allows for multiple chances to get away in these cases. I also go with Blur over Glass Canon but this should be fairly obvious why. You're not suppose to be hit with a kiting spec yes, but Vortex, Teleporter or Fast will usually net you a few melee swings, so the 20% reduction is nice.
    Quote from Kshatriya

Hello,

First of all great post!

What i am interested in is, why not use familiar with sprk flint instead of a venom hydra?
    You then will do extra dps and u don't have to pop the hydra all the time.

That depends what build you're asking about. If you're working on progression with a kiting build, hydra is more or less essential because of its high damage per cast. It allows you to drop it and focus more on not getting attacked then having to worry about weaving in extra spells to do damage. Granted you'll likely be doing that anyway but if you're kiting in a small enough area that the hydra has close to 100% uptime on what you're kiting, the damage per cast is amazing. On bosses, it will increase your damage output by far more than the 12% the sparkflint will do because of that high damage per cast.
    My Wizard
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes