[Guide] Arcane Mines

Without a CMWW wiz keeping Kulle from teleporting Ubers is a huge nightmare (well, Kulle+SB is, the others are still pretty easy). With a CMWW wiz you don't really need a monk tank. Thanks for the offer though.

I was mostly curious about the multiplicative 86% more damage to monsters than the tank part. I would love to see your build +cmww wiz, 0 sac dogs with big bad voodoo and monk tank adding 86% more dmg. If each of the 3dps can deal 3.3m+ effective dps, adding my monk would bring the group dps over 18mil. adding the big bad voodoo would push it over 20 easily
    -Z?
    Quote from zedklind

Without a CMWW wiz keeping Kulle from teleporting Ubers is a huge nightmare (well, Kulle+SB is, the others are still pretty easy). With a CMWW wiz you don't really need a monk tank. Thanks for the offer though.

I was mostly curious about the multiplicative 86% more damage to monsters than the tank part. I would love to see your build +cmww wiz, 0 sac dogs with big bad voodoo and monk tank adding 86% more dmg. If each of the 3dps can deal 3.3m+ effective dps, adding my monk would bring the group dps over 18mil. adding the big bad voodoo would push it over 20 easily

Well, I'm game if you have the group. That's if you can ever find a time where I'm online and able to play, which is like 30 min or less each night. :(
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    Hi, I've tried this build and am quite happy with it. here's my character. I use a skorn so my APS is like 1.1
    I wanted to ask you if u think increasing my APS will help the build much. and also if u have any other gearing tips for me.
    using LL covers the AP problem so I don't find myself really choking.

2nd question: I've spawned Arcane mines and it seems like it can only keep up 6 tops. so if you just keep pressing the button they disappear without imploding. is it true or is it all in my head?
    Quote from Loroese

Quote from zedklind

Well, I'm game if you have the group. That's if you can ever find a time where I'm online and able to play, which is like 30 mil or less each night. :(

So, we have to pay you to play with you? ;)
    Quote from maka

Quote from Loroese

Well, I'm game if you have the group. That's if you can ever find a time where I'm online and able to play, which is like 30 mil or less each night. :(

So, we have to pay you to play with you? ;)

Oops. Though now that you mention it, I'm not opposed to being paid to join a game...

Quote from ohadm

Hi, I've tried this build and am quite happy with it. here's my character. I use a skorn so my APS is like 1.1
    I wanted to ask you if u think increasing my APS will help the build much. and also if u have any other gearing tips for me.
    using LL covers the AP problem so I don't find myself really choking.

2nd question: I've spawned Arcane mines and it seems like it can only keep up 6 tops. so if you just keep pressing the button they disappear without imploding. is it true or is it all in my head?

Increasing APS can raise your dps which isn't a bad thing. The only issue is if you get your APS above 1.904, which can happen with Frenzy shrine if your APS is too high.

Regarding your second Q, you won't ever see more than 6 mines because after that they start replacing the ones that are already down. That's why there's an APS cap of about 1.904. Above that you drop 6 mines in under 2s so they don't explode before you drop the next one. So no you're not crazy.

As for gear, I'd replace the BT pants with some rare pants (100+int, 150+vit, 60+AR, 500-600+armor, 2 sockets). Loh won't make much difference imo, compared to your huge Life Steal. Other than that I'd try to pick up extra armor and/or resists where you can. If you keep crystalize you'll probably get more out of armor than resists, but stacking both is still helpful for high MP. I'm also a huge fan of SoJ, but if you aren't having AP problems then it's just an option to make elites die faster. Otherwise it's mostly just a matter of raising dps while not losing survivability. You seem to have a good start with your gear.
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    Thanks! :)
    This build is sick on dmg,i do like 1.8mil-2.4 mil crits with it (coldblooded included)
    I like it!
    bumping this cause it's more important than spam
    I've been bored lately and tried various alternate builds (disentegrate, sleet storm) but this by far is the most effective to me.

However can you in detail explain the arcano dynamo mechanic? I dont fully understand it. I use LL to charge up 5 stacks then spam mines but it quickly drops to just 1 stack then just stays there for a long time. Am I good to go?

Oh, how big is the arcane mine explosion radius?
    The AD buff lasts for as long as you continue to channel. You just have to make sure you have 5 stacks before you start channeling. In other words anytime you get 5 stacks, they get consumed by AM, but since AM is a channeling skill, it snapshots at the start of your channel and keeps that snapshot until you interrupt the channel. That snapshot includes the AD buff if applicable. If you don't have 5 stacks when you start your channel, but gain 5 stacks in the middle due to a LL still running around, the stacks will still get consumed but you won't gain the benefit due to the snapshot mechanic.

I hope that clears it up, but if not let me know.

As for the explosion aoe, it's pretty small and I'd guess just a couple yards, maybe 5-10 tops.
    But since blizzard is used doesnt that interurpt the channeling?

Also it seems sometimes after I get 5 stacks and channel, the stacks dont get used. They just persist. What am I missing?

Edit: did some testing on mp10 ghom, with the AD snap shot and just mines by itself, killed him in 36 seconds. Without AD, but using blizzard with mines took me 56 seconds.

I dont see any point in blizzard with AD then so you're constantly channeling to keep the snap shotted AM.

Another issue is the start up time with AD and mines it self. I find myself really vulnerable during that period.

I actually found that without a cmww wiz, AD just isn't that useful. There's just too many situations against elites where you get interrupted or are forced to move. I found myself better off just not worrying about AD and just using mines with blizzard. It's also better for surviablity since keep blizz up at all times provides a better consistent life steal then the delayed burst of AM.
    Blizzard is for the startup time. After that I don't stop channeling to refresh blizzard. I've even tried using DS instead of blizzard, and I kind of like it since you can still cast it while channeling. Once my mines start exploding I have no problems with keeping my life up with over 4% life steal and the insane dps of AM. EB - short fuse also works pretty well.

As for AD without a CMWW, it's great for some elites, not so great for others, but if you make good use of the times you have to move you can optimize your damage done. Basically if you have to teleport away from something, drop a LL real fast first. If it gets you to 5 stacks, awesome, if not, you can still channel AM with a high dps without AD until you have to move again. Otherwise you don't have to use AD. I use it to maximize potential dps and because I like having a sig spell for times when I'm low on AP, AD is a natural inclusion.

I'm not sure what you mean about stacks not getting used. It only uses the stacks when you have 5, so if you have 1-4 no extra damage is added. If you have 5 and start channeling, it will use them and increase damage while channeling. If you still have a LL out after you start, it will start adding more stacks after. If it goes up to 5, it'll consume them all. Is that what's going on?
    ^At times. Its strange but some times, I get to 5 stacks then start channeling AM the stacks dont all get used up but some times only drop down to 3 or 1. I'm thinking this maybe like you said as I start channeling some LL burst are still out and perhaps thats whats restacking after they are used up?
    Ah, they still get used but you have a LL still running around that adds a couple stacks. I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.
    i crit like 4mil on siege breaker last time i used on ubers, and it hit me right back with reflect and killed me lolz , i think im at 1,260physical resist back then with 4.3% LS(bloodmagic+weapon) and 4.8k armor. i think force armor is much better during that fight XD
    What do you think about cascade? With a lot of mobs, wouldn't it do more damage? Haven't tried it yet.
    Mines already does almost twice the effective dps as the other runes (510% vs 285%). Unless every cascade shot killed a mob, AM should deal a lot more dps. This is doubly so for elites.
    ^So to clarify Mine is casts at 1.5x your aps (getting you the 510%) but the other runes are not?
    Quote from RasAlgethi24

^So to clarify Mine is casts at 1.5x your aps (getting you the 510%) but the other runes are not?

Basically Mines does 340% damage per missile and fires at 1.5 missiles per attack turn. The other runes all fire at 3 missiles per attack turn but each missile deals 1/3 the listed damage on the rune.
    but still.. cascade clears trash mobs much faster, if i use blizzard the effectiveness is really noticeable
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes