[Guide] Arcane Mines

Quote from Loroese

I agree it's not very ideal for a solo build. It does work for solo play but then it ends up being more like a kiting build with facetank potential against easy elites. The problem is Frozen, Knockback, and Vortex are all a pain, as are fast and ranged elites, and bat elites can be troublesome. The Keywarden is kind of annoying too, which you can probably see from the vid. I think I'd prefer my disintegrate build for solo play if I had to use something besides Archon, otherwise it's Archon for solo, Mines for group play for me.

If you play with 1 other person it works well if they are a monk with that skill that drags mobs to their location. You just drop some mines where the other person is, mobs get dragged there, and they all blow up. I don't know what ability that is though, since I know almost nothing about most other classes.

Cyclone Strike.
    I added a group video to the second post. It was a quick clear of warrior's rest, CotA, and leoric's manor plus courtyard. I ran with a CMWW wiz who provided freezing.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    One important note about dynamo and how the stacks work with a channeled spell. If you start channeling a skill without 5 stacks, then get to 5 stacks while channeling, the 5 stacks will be consumed but your damage will not increase. Instead you have to wait for 5 stacks to build, then start channeling to get the bonus damage.

I tested that today using a low damage weapon with +min damage so all my mines hit for the same amount and the difference in damage was very clear. I also added that to the guide in the section about how to play the build.
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    There was a semi-challenge on the official forums yesterday about soloing Ubers on MP10 without CM, so I thought I'd give it a try with my mines build. I posted the vids in the second post. I really don't recommend anyone trying it unless you have a few hours to kill and really like an annoying challenge. SB+Kulle are horribly annoying, though the others aren't too bad.
    Build is extremly Power Hungry, you gonna need lot of APoC....and its nothing special ;)
    I mean, you got a CM Wizard standing in Front of you perma freezing everything...you can roll ANY build with that.
    Replace Mines with Meteors, max out APoC and drool over the Numbers... way more effective imho ;)

I really hope they make other stuff viable soon for the Wizard...
    CM / Archon etc... getting boring :(
    Quote from Xenocow

I mean, you got a CM Wizard standing in Front of you perma freezing everything...you can roll ANY build with that.

Go back to the first post and read it. Or just look at the video (the second one, solo play). MP10 ubers solo.
    First page! Congrats!
    Quote from Xenocow

Build is extremly Power Hungry, you gonna need lot of APoC....and its nothing special ;)
    Replace Mines with Meteors, max out APoC and drool over the Numbers... way more effective imho ;)

I really hope they make other stuff viable soon for the Wizard...
    CM / Archon etc... getting boring :(

This build does way more damage than meteors. The effective damage is about 510% weapon damage per attack, before buffs. Molten impact does 390% plus 90% over time, which is 480% per attack. Meteor is also a lot more gear intensive to spam against only a couple targets while I can spam continuously against 2+targets with just 2 pieces of APoC and a SoJ (and could probably do it without the SoJ). Against Ghom I can pull almost 16x my char sheet dps in effective dps. Meteor will be lucky to pull 7-10x. So I do more burst dps and better 1-2 target dps.

The only thing meteor does better is large aoe packs since the mine blast radius is fairly small. With a CMWW freezing mobs and/or a cyclone monk grouping them up, the build had great potential to outdps any other wizard build. It just doesn't work as well solo as the main wiz builds (i.e., CMWW and Archon).
    Thanks for sharing Loroese. Well explained build and well written.
    May the heroes rise from the pit of despair and the bards sing of the day of death renewed to everlasting
    immortality....awaiting your return to the lands of Sanctuary may peace be with you on this day...your day of birth.

The Crew
    I have a monk tank that buffs 86%. Let me know if you want to test some numbers with cyclone strike, I'm interested in super fast uber runs.

zimsomniac#1980
    -Z?
    is there a way to know which wizard spells can be channeled ? so we can know which one benefit from Arcane Dynamo passif ?
    Quote from bigbenbeaubien

is there a way to know which wizard spells can be channeled ? so we can know which one benefit from Arcane Dynamo passif ?

Ray of Frost; Arcane Torrent; Disintegrate; Archon beam. Those are the channelled spells (I think).
    But Arcane Dynamo buffs every single (non-signature) spell you cast after you get 5 dynamo stacks, not just channelled spells. Channelled spells work better because you can continuously channel and it will always benefit from Arc. Dynamo, while other spells are only buffed once; then you have to repeat the whole process again.
    Blizzard shoud put a description on spells that can be channeled. How can a person know that Arcane Torrent can be channeled and Meteor/Blizzard/other can't ? There are no visual text difference.

They should also say which spells can/can't be stacked.
    How can a person know that Arcane Torrent can be channeled and Meteor/Blizzard/other can't ? There are no visual text difference.

You're kidding, right?
    As long as you know what "channelling" means, you'll have no trouble knowing which spells are channelled and which ones aren't.

They should also say which spells can/can't be stacked.

I agree.
    can you tell me the definition of "channelling" ?
    ^^ Not from Diablo, but I guess the definition pretty much fits: http://www.wowwiki.com/Channeling
    from the link

"Channeling or channeled abilities are abilities which require the caster to remain stationary for the channeling duration"

Tempest Rush

i guess the description doesn't fit all Diablo 3 skills :)
    would people describe it this way ?

while holding down the button of the skill, (mana/arcane power/spirit/etc) are constantly consumed.

this would be confusing since i can hold down meteor and my arcane power is being consumed yet meteor isn't a channelled spell.
    To be fair it's not completely obvious for all skills whether it's a channeled skill or not. Arcane Torrent is the best example. I cast arcane mines at a rate of 1.5 per attack turn and it's considered a channeled spell. Compare that to lightning Blast, a sig spell. It attacks at twice your attack speed but I don't consider it a channeled skill. Disintegrate, RoF, and Archon beam are more obvious though.

Quote from zedklind

I have a monk tank that buffs 86%. Let me know if you want to test some numbers with cyclone strike, I'm interested in super fast uber runs.

zimsomniac#1980

Without a CMWW wiz keeping Kulle from teleporting Ubers is a huge nightmare (well, Kulle+SB is, the others are still pretty easy). With a CMWW wiz you don't really need a monk tank. Thanks for the offer though.

"Channeling or channeled abilities are abilities which require the caster to remain stationary for the channeling duration"

Tempest Rush

i guess the description doesn't fit all Diablo 3 skills :)

^^ hehehe, TR really is an odd skill. But I think the description defines well channeling for the wizard. Although it would be nice to channel Archon Beam while moving. That would make WW-Barbs tremble in fear. :D
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes