[GUIDE] Archon Wizard (updatING for 1.0.5)

Quote from SkipperMix

Would skorn be your fav weapon compared to 1h + offhand combo?

Short of an insanely rolled yellow with high DPS+socket+high int+high crit+Life Steal, yes Skorn is the best 2h around.
    Wizard DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    Crusader DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, meant for Crusaders
    My Wizard
    If your defenses and healing are high enough, a nicely rolled echoing fury+ triumvirate would beat a skorn. It would also greatly increase the dps benefit you get out of IAS gear.
    Skorn is just decently cheap (25-75m) for a ok rolled one
    Quote from SkipperMix

Would skorn be your fav weapon compared to 1h + offhand combo?

It's a personal preference + what you can afford. Skorn is good for it, if you are aiming to be ranked No. 1 in the DPS across the world, then 1 hander is going to be there, however a high end 1 hander will cost approximately 200m, a good high end off-hand will cost about 100m. A single skorn will with life leech and high end stats will cost 100m, a mid-range one with life-steal will be about 40-50m.

Also, as i covered in the guide, it depends on your filler spell and what you are building, fast recharge with CM procs - then you need 1 hander + OH with APoC, if you are able to stay in archon without that - then you should use a 2 hander simply because it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper and you can spend all that gold on upgrading your other slots first.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    -- Albert Einstein

I stated this in another post but it is also relavent to the guide here but CM does indeed work to reduce the CD of Archon even while Archon is active. The easiest way to test it is to active a 2 min Armor buff right before activating Archon, then killing as many mobs as possible to keep archon active for a good 90s+, then cancelling Archon and just waiting for the CD to resume. The CD should be up before the armor falls off.

This is mostly relevent as an alternative to Evocation for people having issues running out of time in Archon form. I also like the fact that CM reduces the CD of your Archon Blast (#1 hotkey that does not interrupt your beam). I use that ability a lot when face tanking elites to gain a bit more health.

On a side note, regarding Stone of Jordan or any other item with +elemental damage, the bonus damage is applied to all your skills, not just skills with that damage type, as long as the affix doesn't mention skills. So any stone of jordan damage type will work and add extra damage. I mention this because in section 5 of the guide you mention Stone of Jordan and +arcane damage. The only issue is the bonus damage is only applied to your total minumum physical damage. Also this extra damage does show up on your in game damage number, so people considering switching to a Stone of Jordan won't see quite as much of a dps drop on their char sheet as they might think.
    My Wizard
    Quote from Loroese

On a side note, regarding Stone of Jordan or any other item with +elemental damage, the bonus damage is applied to all your skills, not just skills with that damage type, as long as the affix doesn't mention skills. So any stone of jordan damage type will work and add extra damage. I mention this because in section 5 of the guide you mention Stone of Jordan and +arcane damage. The only issue is the bonus damage is only applied to your total minumum physical damage. Also this extra damage does show up on your in game damage number, so people considering switching to a Stone of Jordan won't see quite as much of a dps drop on their char sheet as they might think.

That's good to know. I was considering getting a SoJ. Thanks for the info
    My little Pet: Wizard and his ranking
    Try "Life After Kill" stats. It actually works surprisingly well given that your main goal in Archon form is to kill as much as you possibly can.

LAK tends to be far cheaper than LOH items, as well. It's how I personally deal with Reflect mobs. I don't run any life leech or LOH, but I always have spare mobs (or extra health globes) nearby to kill and quick-heal when I find myself against Reflect.

Edit: I run both LAK and life steal now. Works like a charm.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Nice build and strategy
    lifesteal> loh/lok..... unless you have like 1-2k lok and always have mobs around for champs
    Great guide. A couple of things you might consider adding:

LOK is a great alternative to LOH/Lifesteal and 5 times cheaper. Between a 3.5k LOH Skorn and +20k from health globes I never suffer from a lack of healing. (Jaetch already mentioned this)

Perhaps this is too obvious but its usually better to wait for a large group of mobs before engaging Archon. Once you've you've got that 20 or 30 second buffer, you shouldn't ever have a problem with archon running out.

In fact i'm usually able to keep Archon up so easily that my buffs start wearing off. In this case you're actually better to manually deactivate Archon, re-buffing and then reactivate it again.

Again, great guide - much appreciated!
    Quite nice guide, thanks! Made my Archon wizard testplay a lot more interesting.
    Any guide for 1.05? Been having some thoughts about what should I use next. I got about 100 Mil ready for upgrades but wanted to wait a couple of weeks for the items to start rolling in. Any suggestions on what skills/gear upgrades I should do with 1.05 changes? I am looking right now to buy Lacuni Prowlers. Thanks!
    Battle net ID:Swoosh#1236. Wouldn't let me post a link yet.
    http ://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Swoosh-1236/hero/3842623
    I am tryng storm armor/thunder storm instead of prismatic and blood magic instead of force wpn

Farming mp3 alkaizer run for now and I'm doing fine
    Quote from SwooshMojo

Any guide for 1.05? Been having some thoughts about what should I use next. I got about 100 Mil ready for upgrades but wanted to wait a couple of weeks for the items to start rolling in. Any suggestions on what skills/gear upgrades I should do with 1.05 changes? I am looking right now to buy Lacuni Prowlers. Thanks!
    Battle net ID:Swoosh#1236. Wouldn't let me post a link yet.
    http ://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Swoosh-1236/hero/3842623

First thing I'd do, and do now, is get a Triumvirate OH. Use a dps calculator or spreadsheet but even a mid damage one (150 average damge) should be a pretty good upgrade. They're also pretty cheap, and now that you can search for average damage, it's even easier to get the best value for your gold. For 5 mil or so you can probably get one with around 100-300 damage, and if you're wanting a perma-Archon build, you can ignore APoC so try getting one with 200+ Int for even more dps.

You'll probably also want a weapon with Life Steal, though if you just want to farm MP0 it might not be needed. You can start with just Magic Weapon - Blood Magic and see how they are before jumping into buying a new weapon though, since Life Steal is pretty expensive right now.

If you try any mid-high MP levels, you probably want to use Force Armor, otherwise use whatever Armor you feel comfortable with. I use Force armor for all but I've got a low EHP build with high dps so I don't have the resists and armor to pull of a Prismatic Armor or Storm Armor build.

Other potential upgrades include Tal Rasha's Allegience (amulet), if you aren't super attached to your Firewalkers you can go for zunimassa boots and the ring also makes for a good 2pc bonus. Prowlers are great or if you don't mind losing the EHP you can opt for Inna's Temperance (pants) that has 1% crit, 8-9% attack speed, and 12% movement. The only downside is they roll with dex main and only 1 random, so the ones with Int are around 30 mil, meaning you'll lose a lot of EHP. Tal Rasha Relentless Persuit (chest) is another good dps piece, though to maintain the EHP of your current chest, it would likely cost most of or more than your 100 mil. Lower end ones, like 9% IAS, 150 Int, 50 vit, and armor, like mine, are 10-20 mil. Andrial's Visage is the cheap helm of choice, and you can get one for a couple mil with 50+ all resist, so you'd only lose a bit of vit but would gain 8-9% IAS.

Those upgrades are suggestions from my own experience and really give the best dps gain for your gold. The difficulty lies with deciding what you want to do with your EHP. The easiest thing to do is mostly ignore EHP as long as you're around 150k+ in Archon form and just switch to Force Armor, but you might find yourself dying more than you like. Once you have those really high dps pieces with low EHP, it's hard to upgrade to a similar piece with high EHP and it's hard to drop all that dps for the extra EHP so it's up to you if you want to upgrade 1-2 pieces to raise dps and maintain EHP or upgrade 3-5 pieces and just raise DPS pretty high.

IMO, ranking the set pieces in terms of relative DPS per cost, based on my current purchases I'd put it at Triumvirate = Andriel's Visage > Tal neck > tal chest > Zunimassa boots = ring > Witching Hour. Keep in mind that's relative to current gear and that ranking is specific to my current gear and based mostly on dps.

EDIT: Zunimassa chest is a good EHP alternative to the tal chest, if you're looking at keeping or improving your EHP. It works great for 2pc and/or 3pc bonus depending on your gearing choices.
    My Wizard
    I wonder how 300k dps wizard deal with reflect dmg at mp 7 for example, some of them dont have neither lifesteal nor loh o.0
    Thanks much for the info. I will look into these changes.
    Quote from Gochu

I wonder how 300k dps wizard deal with reflect dmg at mp 7 for example, some of them dont have neither lifesteal nor loh o.0

A lot of Archons that don't run life on hit, life steal, and or life after kill use Diamond Skin to cope. They cancel out of Archon and use conventional kiting tactics to get things done.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    I'll start making updates for 1.0.5 today with a few more to come in the next few days, doing some testing, checking gear and watching AH prices right now, there's quite a few changes and recommendations for the hellfire ring farming routes, etc.

However, i do have to note that for higher MP you need some pretty incredible DPS to make archon worthwhile in a solo play, in a team play - unless you have a crapload of APoC and high AIS gear + perhaps evocation - not much of a point on say MP4+, the amount of uptime of archon simply becomes too low and you're better off switching to something else.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    -- Albert Einstein

Done up a whole bunch of updates and fixes, added the follower section, took out the farming route section until more research is done since act 2 has a bunch of areas with a LOT of champions as well as high mob density which works out superbly for this build on MP1 or higher depending on the DPS and survival.
    -- Albert Einstein

Once again - nice guide.

Since the patch rolled in I found that in lower MP levels there's no need for Critical Mass and some proc skill to try and reduce the cool down of Archon.
    I use this build:
    battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#RTmSXj!fYX!ZcccZa on MP1 and MP2 quite efficiently.
    The idea is that on lower MP levels if you have like 100k+ DPS you can kill stuff comparably fast even without Archon, just use Disintegrate (chaos nexus), and if you have SOJ most elite packs are no problem too. Of course Archon is faster and more damage, but if it's on cool down the slowdown is minimal. You can still maintain, or even increase the farming speed. I have no ApoC gear, so Prism+Astral presence+Cheaper disintegrate makes me almost never run out of AP, especially if I pulse beam.
    The Storm Armor - Shocking Aspect is marvelous on MP1/2 since it one shots most of the trash mobs, and keeps your Archon on.
    I have around 110k DPS and about the same EHP, which is enough for MP2 in most cases (reflect damage is still a problem, but that's due to my low armor). I have Maximus on my Enchantress so the slave helps to tank in some tougher situations.

p.s. The Fleeting Shrine + Archon +Shocking Aspect = the best thing that happened to wiz since patch 1.0.3 :D

Edit:

it seems that Reactive Armor does even better than SA :) updated the build:
    battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#RTmSXj!fYX!ZaccZa Glass Cannon can be swapped for Blur, if there's too much dying or on higher MP.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes