[GUIDE] Archon Wizard (updatING for 1.0.5)

TheDemokin, would you consider Leg. 2-hand sword warmonger - with 1k damage, +40% Damage, 1.2 base Attack speed, 215 INT, 123% Crit Hit Damage, +8% Attack speed, 5.7% Life Steal (the forum doesn't allow to post links yet :/), as a viable option for your Archon build?

It sure is viable, it's more towards the lower end of the weapon dmg spectrum, but it will work. You might want to check AH, can easily get a 1.3k+ DPS 2 hander with a socket and life steal for under 1 mil, i just checked the AH (US server) and there's over 50 weapons like that. Alternatively you can change the socket to pure crit damage of 100+% and get that in the same range.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    -- Albert Einstein

made some updates to the guide with farming route as well as SoJ / disintegrate update
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    -- Albert Einstein

Nice written guide
    Sweet guide! Any videos of it in action?
    I would like to mention that I follow Alkaizer path with Rakkis added in, and I rarely lose Archon form. Then again, I do not pickup anything except legendaries and I am only a bit slower without Archon. The biggest requirements to keeping it up are your DPS and run speed.
    My little Pet: Wizard and his ranking

made some updates to the guide with farming route as well as SoJ / disintegrate update

The part you wrote about the SoJ is nice, but a little misleading on the point about +% arcane damage.

When a buff uses the wording "Adds X% to Y damage", it is treated like an elemental damage affix to a weapon...in that it adds to your weapon's base dmg. No matter what element is listed here, ALL attacks will benefit from it....it is effectively like getting +min dmg on a ring or amulet.

This as opposed to the wording "Y Skills deal X% more damage" which does only increase the damage of a specific element.

Source: http://www.diablofans.com/blizz-tracker/topic/233940-x-elemental-damage-mechanic-blue-clarify/
    I don't know if I'm just bad at Archon or what, but CM/SC just seems to work SO much better for me. This Archon build really gives me problems with Fast mobs (even with 24% run) and Mortar... any thoughts?
    Do you know if reflect damage is reduced by your armor/resistances?
    I am trying to estimate how much LoH I need, since I dont want to change from my wand+source combo

I am trying to estimate how much LoH I need, since I dont want to change from my wand+source combo

Preface: this is only conjecture as I have not seen a blue post and only have my anecdotal experience to cite, but :

Reflect damage is mitigated by resistances(physical resist to be specific), so I would assume armor does as well. I've personally noticed that as I geared up I finally started being able to gain life back form reflect damage mobs, where as earlier in my gearing I would only lose life. (my only source of healing being from life steal)

Get life steal if you can. It scales much better than LoH especially for Archon builds. Also the coefficient for Archon beam is 0.25 so LoH only returns 25% of your LoH each tic. For example, at ~70k dps with 1 attack per second, 2.5% life steal is about the same as 4.2k LoH, at 1.5 attacks per second it would be equivalent to 2800 LoH roughly.

These numbers might be a little off though, because that's assuming the beam tics at the same speed as your attack. Does anyone know the mechanics of the beam tic for sure? Does it tic at same speed as your attack or does it just tic a specific amount of times per second? I have been of the impression that the damage shown as tics is some averaged damage over the tic interval, which makes me think the damage is being done over discrete time periods, and the tics show up every 0.5s. As far as I know just about anything that tics shows up in 0.5s intervals (health regen, WW damage, LoH return from WW to name a few).
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids

did Einstein really say that? surely he must have known that there are more than 2 things which are infinite in nature ,......
    Working with adobe and/or java is like pushing a paper clip against a building and expecting it to move...

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

I've been playing around with an Archon spec and have a question about the farming route you mentioned.

"8. Take the waypoint to keep level 1, zone into the keep level 2 right away and do a full clear of the place"

When you say do a full clear of the place, do you mean all 3 levels, or just level 2? If it's all 3 levels, do you start with level 2, head to level 3, take lvl 3 waypoint back to lvl 1 to clear that backwards?
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids

Get life steal if you can. It scales much better than LoH especially for Archon builds. Also the coefficient for Archon beam is 0.25 so LoH only returns 25% of your LoH each tic. For example, at ~70k dps with 1 attack per second, 2.5% life steal is about the same as 4.2k LoH, at 1.5 attacks per second it would be equivalent to 2800 LoH roughly.

These numbers might be a little off though, because that's assuming the beam tics at the same speed as your attack. Does anyone know the mechanics of the beam tic for sure? Does it tic at same speed as your attack or does it just tic a specific amount of times per second? I have been of the impression that the damage shown as tics is some averaged damage over the tic interval, which makes me think the damage is being done over discrete time periods, and the tics show up every 0.5s. As far as I know just about anything that tics shows up in 0.5s intervals (health regen, WW damage, LoH return from WW to name a few).

Don't forget that Life Steal is reduced to %20 in inferno, that or %25.

I would only recommend EXCLUSIVELY using life steal over life on hit for someone who has a 2 hander because it can roll up to %6 rather than just %3.

however with some LoH %3 life steal works just fine.

I would only recommend EXCLUSIVELY using life steal over life for someone who has a 2 hander becuase it can roll up to %6 rather than just %3.

I use 2.7% lifesteal and have no life on hit, but have about 1500 life regen. I hardly notice reflect damage.

I use 2.7% lifesteal and have no life on hit, but have about 1500 life regen. I hardly notice reflect damage.

I only have about 300 regen, no life on hit, and when I tried using a %2.8 life steal 1 hander along with a triumvirate OH (dps increase) I couldn't really keep myself up while facetanking mobs anymore. So I swapped back to my 2 hander.

And that was with like 800 resists and 6k armor outside of archon form after energy armor.

I would only recommend EXCLUSIVELY using life steal over life on hit for someone who has a 2 hander because it can roll up to %6 rather than just %3.

I already took the Life Steal reduction into account when posting those numbers. Regardless of 1h vs 2h, Life Steal should outperform LoH for Archon builds with any decent dps. Don't forget 2h can roll up to 2k LoH meaning both Life Steal and LoH are doubled for 2h so it doesn't matter if you use 1h vs 2h in that respect.

I've been playing around with an Archon spec and have a question about the farming route you mentioned.

"8. Take the waypoint to keep level 1, zone into the keep level 2 right away and do a full clear of the place"

When you say do a full clear of the place, do you mean all 3 levels, or just level 2? If it's all 3 levels, do you start with level 2, head to level 3, take lvl 3 waypoint back to lvl 1 to clear that backwards?

Keep levels 1 and 3 are more sparse and less circular. I found keeping Archon up hard. Once you get the hang of the general layouts of Keep level 2, you will find that it is the easiest place to keep Archon up.
    So, to summarize, do only keep level 2.
    PS: Watch out for those suicidal monsters.
    My little Pet: Wizard and his ranking

Keep levels 1 and 3 are more sparse and less circular. I found keeping Archon up hard. Once you get the hang of the general layouts of Keep level 2, you will find that it is the easiest place to keep Archon up.
    So, to summarize, do only keep level 2.
    PS: Watch out for those suicidal monsters.

Thanks. I had noticed I was having a heck of a time keeping Archon active, and thought it might just be due to my dps (only 70k or so). And I really hate those exploding mobs. I die to them at least once everytime I farm.
    Can someone enlighten me on a FREE screen capture software that allows to do GOOD quality 1080p? I spent the last 3 hours trying to find something that does it well and there's nothing, there's a bunch out there but most of them lag the hell out of my game with 2-3 seconds play time followed by 2-3 seconds freeze. Xsplit was not lagging the game at all, but the pathetic free 25 FPS and 720p looks like absolute crap.
    -- Albert Einstein

Would skorn be your fav weapon compared to 1h + offhand combo?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes