Come back after a 6 month break. Where do I go now?

I stopped playing on the 2nd of January as Diablo was becoming to much of an obsession for me, but recently I've been tempted to much into trying Diablo again and I have a few questions now..

1. If Archon is still a viable spec to go for then is there any changes to the spec itself that I am outdated on?
    2. What stats should I aim for? Since I have forgotten almost everything I knew from back then and now I can't remember what upgrade I wanted to go for next, at the time, everything would've cost me 90+mil to upgrade but I imagine the AH isn't the same as back then anymore. I only ave 25mil to spend currently.

Here's my little Wizard: http://eu.battle.net...548/hero/851327
    1) Archon is still the most commonly used spec. Nothing has changed except for one big thing: since 1.08 you can use Archon in multiplayer, as any kill by any of your group members will now count towards Archon duration. No new information as of now... but hopefully soon (tm) Jaetch will publish an awesome video guide ;-) For the time being, you might get some info from my guide (see my sig), but I guess that was already around last time you played.

2) Imho the thing you really need is some more EHP. Get allres on helm, boots, maybe even chest (if you can't afford allres on chest get one with vitality, your HP is also quite low). In general everything is much cheaper now... but still, with 25m you won't be able to get 300k DPS (without sacrificing DPS). Loroese posted some nice recommendations for MP vs EHP/DPS, and as you can see your DPS/EHP are quite unbalanced ;-)

I stopped playing on the 2nd of January as Diablo was becoming to much of an obsession for me, but recently I've been tempted to much into trying Diablo again and I have a few questions now..

Was it a New Year's resolution? :P

1) Archon is still the most commonly used spec. Nothing has changed except for one big thing: since 1.08 you can use Archon in multiplayer, as any kill by any of your group members will now count towards Archon duration. No new information as of now... but hopefully soon ™ Jaetch will publish an awesome video guide ;-) For the time being, you might get some info from my guide (see my sig), but I guess that was already around last time you played.

2) Imho the thing you really need is some more EHP. Get allres on helm, boots, maybe even chest (if you can't afford allres on chest get one with vitality, your HP is also quite low). In general everything is much cheaper now... but still, with 25m you won't be able to get 300k DPS (without sacrificing DPS). Loroese posted some nice recommendations for MP vs EHP/DPS, and as you can see your DPS/EHP are quite unbalanced ;-)

I knew my EHP needed to be improved, but I wasn't sure if there was any specific set items that Wizards use by a standard guide in Archon specs, being able to use it in multiplayer sounds like a brilliant idea though, thank you.I am also interested in any links towards routes to take, I remember I used the route used in Inferno mode Act III all the time.. but I cant quite remember all of it anymore. :$
    Forget about routes. Monster density was (at least in my opinion) one of the best things ever. You can just go anywhere and almost never run into Archon cooldown problems. Just go wherever you want to go. Many run act 1: Fields of Misery, Weeping Hollow, Woods, Leoric's; or act 2 Vault of the Assassins, Dahlgur Oasis, and some of the other areas if you don't mind the freaking wasps; or act 3 the typical stuff (though Crater isn't as great as before the patch as the scorpions' XP got nerfed a bit). But if you EHP/DPS is fine for a particular MP level, you can just go anywhere you like.
    Quite a few things has changed, monster density, drop rates, new crafts, it's kind of had to remember them all. So i'd suggest you read up on some patch notes too.
    To answer your first question, yes Archon has become even more viable. Last patch, they changed Archon, so that you didnt need the killing blow on the monsters, to get extra time, you just had to deal damage to them. Ofc they still need to die, but it's enough to put dmg on it and let some one else kill it. So coop-wise, Archon has become better/more viable. There are some spec variaties, but can still run with what you've got :D
    Second question, stats weights are still the same. Crit Chance, Crit hit dmg, avg. dmg, atk speed, not necessarily in that order. Bracer, gloves, shoulders, neck can be crafted now, and are called Razorspikes of Int, Archon gloves of Int, Archon spaulders of Int and amulet of int. They're all bind on account as soon as you craft them tho, but it can also roll best in slot.
    Hope that helps for starters :D

Edit, and now 've been gone from the computer for so long, others have alredy answered you... :)
    Regards DreamWalker

Donnie: Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?
    Frank: Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Quite a few things has changed, monster density, drop rates, new crafts, it's kind of had to remember them all. So i'd suggest you read up on some patch notes too.
    To answer your first question, yes Archon has become even more viable. Last patch, they changed Archon, so that you didnt need the killing blow on the monsters, to get extra time, you just had to deal damage to them. Ofc they still need to die, but it's enough to put dmg on it and let some one else kill it. So coop-wise, Archon has become better/more viable. There are some spec variaties, but can still run with what you've got :D
    Second question, stats weights are still the same. Crit Chance, Crit hit dmg, avg. dmg, atk speed, not necessarily in that order. Bracer, gloves, shoulders, neck can be crafted now, and are called Razorspikes of Int, Archon gloves of Int, Archon spaulders of Int and amulet of int. They're all bind on account as soon as you craft them tho, but it can also roll best in slot.
    Hope that helps for starters :D

Edit, and now 've been gone from the computer for so long, others have alredy answered you... :)

Would the recipes actually roll better in stats than my current gear and not cost the earth? I have purchased the recipes but so far I don't see how they are going to be better without spending as much gold as it would to simply buy the upgrade.
    Yes, the new crafted items can be pretty beastly and several have the potential to out roll anything you can find. The issue is RNG to get a good roll though. Bracers are a great one since they start with 200+int, so all it takes is a decent crit roll to get good dps to replace your prowlers. Ideally you'd want something with AR and/or vit, and the higher int the better. It might take 10 rolls, it might take more though, but that's a good place to start. Shoulders is another good slot to craft for Archon. You'll likely lose some armor but you can get 250+int with high AR with a little work, and maybe even add some vit or life% to it if you're lucky.

Gloves and ammy are probably better to just buy for now since crafting good pairs of those can take forever, but eventually you might find yourself trying to craft them.

As for gearing, I'd definitely start with a better weapon, preferably with OS+LS+CD on a sword or axe, optionally add int if you can find a good deal that gives you more char sheet dps than one without. If you have a budget I'd spend most of it there. Eventually I'd get a mempo. If you can't afford one with crit, then a 200+int, 50+vit one should be good and should give you a lot of extra EHP and similar dps to your current one. I wouldn't spend more than a couple mil on it though, so maybe look for bids for the helm.

I prefer running improved Archon with BM instead of teleport and force weapon. BM lets you tank RD mobs much easier. Also, LL is much better for refreshing Archon than p-orb. I prefer WW but it requires a swap to an APoC piece (I use a Storm Crow) so LL is best for non-APoC users.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    So I have currently done about six runs since coming back to Diablo III. I am Paragon level 56 and my run consists of these areas;

The Core of Arreat (Backwards)
    Tower of the Damned
    The Bridge of Korsikk
    Rakkis Crossing
    The Keep Depths level 2
    The Keep Depths level 3

I have only got one set item and one legendary from doing this run. Is this because I just have bad luck? or is there a more advised route to take these days?

I have only got one set item and one legendary from doing this run. Is this because I just have bad luck? or is there a more advised route to take these days?

Yeah, it's bad luck :-)

And like I said above, change the route - even though there is no statistical evidence for any drops on any given route, whatever makes you feel happy is best ;-) Go Vaults of the Assassins for a change (and the many elite packs over there make it feel like you get more drops, too).
    Ok, another question regarding the BoA craftable items. Are Lacuni Prowlers not as good as they were anymore in terms of the 12% movement speed in that case? Also the attack speed you gain from them. I'm used to being able to run quickly and attack quickly as well.

Ok, another question regarding the BoA craftable items. Are Lacuni Prowlers not as good as they were anymore in terms of the 12% movement speed in that case? Also the attack speed you gain from them. I'm used to being able to run quickly and attack quickly as well.

Lacunis are stil very useful, it is just that, lacunis needs near perfect rolls to beat what you can craft within maybe 30-50 crafts.

Some people get their movement speed from boots and pants, meaning the movement speed bonus from lacuni is not all that important factor.

You already have 24% MS because of Inna's. IAS doesn't really matter for Archon. The IAS still makes Lacuni's BiS in terms of DPS, but Razorspikes (crafted) are a close contender. And even perfect Lacuni's can't match the EHP of crafted bracers. Therefore, only very few of the top wizards that don't care about gold and have enough EHP from other slots get Lacuni Bracers. For the huge majority though (and that includes all us mortals) crafted bracers are what we usually would prefer.

You won't notice the difference between 24% and 25% MS, so you can "run around quickly", and you'll be able to "attack quickly" because Archon doesn't care about IAS (it just increases DPS but doesn't change spell dynamics).
    Ah, that makes sense. I had some crafted bracers which gave me a few k of health and 8-9k of extra dps, so I'm using those now.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes