800M budget for a brand new Archon wizz

Hello guys, I`m a fellow monk who got bored of the curent state of the game and I was thinking to dump some cash in a brand new class.@800m

I picked Archon wizz because I want to try a ranged class.
    I picked Archon wizz because I hate dh curent state
    I picked Archon wizz because I find it intresting to play (at least from videos:P )

The thing is that I know few things about mechanics, gear needed, EHP, and dps for an Archon Spec

My questions are :

1. How competitive can be an 800m Archon set ? ( in terms of MP for solo and in party)
    2. What stats shold i look for?
    3. Skorn with LS or chd EF + Off hand ?
    4. Ammount of LoH needed?

(hope u can understand my post since english is not my first language:P)

Many thanks and wish u best.
    1) For solo it's pretty efficient. 800 mil should put you around the MP6-7 range, based on my recommended DPS/EHP vs MP you can find here or on the official forum.

2) Archon is all about high dps and enough survival to kill things. You want as much CC and CD as possible, because that usually gives the best dps. Then you want to add as much Int and resists as you can afford. What I like to do is gear to get enough mitigation to break even against RD, and add a little extra physical resist so I can gain life against them. That means LS weapon with about 91-92% mitigation buffed with Archon form and pinpoint barrier.

3) I'd go with a black sword/axe+triumvirate OH. EF is good if you want to go dps route and not get LS on weapon, otherwise you can get some pretty good OS+LS+CD swords for decent prices (40mil for around 1k dps). Triumvirate with a black weapon will give you a huge damage boost.

4) None. LoH is terrible for Archon compared to LS. Stick with LS all the way. Some people farm with just 1.5% from BM but I prefer 4-4.5% from BM+LS weapon. With higher LS you can just facetank every elite, even RD (with sufficient mitigation). With just BM you can still facetank elites to a degree but you tend to have to kite RD mobs while waiting for the shield to drop. Either way can work depending on play style.
    Wizard DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    Crusader DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, meant for Crusaders
    My Wizard
    Just for convenience, here's Loroese's thread he was talking about. I recommend start building up the EHP first and THEN going for DPS, if you do it the other way you'll most likely end up as a total glass canon. While some people like that, it might not be a good start for you as a dead wizard doesn't do much DPS and it also takes a lot of time out of your runs (especially since Archon cooldown does not reset upon death, obviously).

Like he said, go for about ~90% mitigation (use his spreadsheet or any other character planning tool, you don't wanna spend ~800m and realize you're lacking important stats, in particular EHP wise) and a LS weapon.

Do you play in a group or solo? Do you want to play high MP or just run as fast as possible through all levels, almost insta-killing everything? Obviously this makes a difference in gearing up. Like Loroese said, LoH is useless for Archon as it's super easy to get past 100k DPS now where LS is just better than LoH. If you don't care about the MP level or your group runs on lower MPs (MP3-6 or so), you can even build a set for that amount of money that relies on LaK instead of LS (and Blood Magic rune). If you're playing on more challenging MP levels you want LS on a weapon and also lots of EHP - again, that's why I really recommend stacking EHP first, and you can just increase DPS along the way (but adding 80allres or 10k life on a full set can be difficult).

For more information I'll just point you to the link in my signature ;-)
    Many thanks guys. I`l review your links and guides since i missed them untill now .

Wish u best and thanks again.
    Quote from iamtheking

1. How competitive can be an 800m Archon set ? ( in terms of MP for solo and in party)

3. Skorn with LS or chd EF + Off hand ?

Im with Loroese and Begstone. They already answered most things pretty solid as always. :) How ever i would like to add 2 things.

1.) Archon is decent in groups but people prefer mostly other classes since archon doesnt provide any buffs for the group. So if you aim for groupplay get ready to asked a few times to switch to cm. :P People tend to yell for a cm wiz if they barely farm higher mps since a cm makes it much easier.

3.) For solo farming i would grab a cheap chanto wand with ias on it. If you lose archon for what ever reason and need to bring it off cd an ias chanto is still pretty usefull. They are kinda cheap if you dont want a high dps one and a few hundred k gold shouldnt hurt your budget at all.
    Quote from Shinna1989

1.) Archon is decent in groups but people prefer mostly other classes since archon doesnt provide any buffs for the group. So if you aim for groupplay get ready to asked a few times to switch to cm. :P People tend to yell for a cm wiz if they barely farm higher mps since a cm makes it much easier.

I actually disagree with this as that has not been my experience at all. If you are archon and doing content in multiplayer that your group can't kill fast enough, then yes I may agree with you. If you are doing content that you can just scream through in a group and have 100% archon uptime then people will want you to play with them. I got a ton of invites by doing archon simply for my dps doing mp8/9/10.

Also, I run often with a witch doctor in mp9/mp10 and he pulls massive and I mean massive concentrations of mobs in fields of misery / Weeping Hollow and brings them to me in a line. Archon just decimates, and legendaries drop like candy. When elites are pulled he drops big bad voodoo for a massive dps burst, can not recommend this form of playstyle enough! So no not once have I ever been told to switch.

Also even if you can't sustain archon full time, you can still run with archon and frost nova and the rune that gives 15% damage to the target for the group. With large groups of mobs and the frost nova above you still can help your group a lot.
    Buying half of your gear blows his entire budget. ;) Sure if you pull crazy dps ppl. will pick you for their party even more if you did a few runs in the past and they know you can handle the mp they wanne farm on. Most ppl. i know switched from farming legendaries to farming demonic essences. Groups mostly are build like this:

- TR Monk to spot the elites
    - Smashbarb
    - WD for bbv
    - cm wiz

Either im the monk(buff biatch for the group and pull in the packs for the cm) or playing on my cm wiz. But im pretty sure if ppl. run for exp. they dont mind a good dps aka archon. ;) Thats why i said:
    People tend to yell for a cm wiz if they barely farm higher mps since a cm makes it much easier.

And i guess we both agree: An 800mil budget doesnt bring you into mp9/10 farming as archon(if the group doesnt kinda carry you). :)
    Quote from Phoenixscar

Quote from Shinna1989

I actually disagree with this as that has not been my experience at all.

The reason why this has not been your experience is because your gear is insane. According to Diabloprogress, you're one of the top 1500 DPS wizards on EU. You could join any group with any build and would be welcome. With a 800m budget like OP has (which is still quite a lot and will make him an "above average" wizard) he could barely afford a single piece of your gear.

For the huge majority of people it is absolutely true what Shinna said.
    for 800M go CM, better for grps and for high MP solo.
    I wouldnt recommand going cm if he already choose archon. CM is kinda just another melee with different abilities. :P I just would stress the fact that his current budget wont bring him into higher mps(8+) since he will lack either ehp or dps. People tend to be frustrated if they blow a decent budget and are stucked on a "lower" mp. DH and archon needs way more budget compared to a monk, barb or batdoctor to farm higher mps. Sad but true. :(
    Ok I read and read theese posts and the main thing that goes in to my head is to eighter increse the budget (probably double it ) I`l also have to pray on good crafts in order to complete my wizz or find another class. The thing is that I dont expect to much from a wizz, I simply want to play it on a decent MP(7-8) since I`m kinda used to mp10 with my monk, and I dont think I`l enjoy myself in to lower MPs

Cm wizz is out of picture since i`m not that type of guy who like to spam keys (11113334353132121313412231212324512323123324 in 2-3 sec from what i`ve seen :P ) and I dont really want to get a program that spams for me :) . I`ve been in many partyes and sometimes they sliped it in chat (kinda funny when that happens :D)

I`ve played alot of AH lately and maybe that`s why I chosed a wizz. All items on intelect are way much cheaper than others on dex str.
    Maybe because I dont know this class as well as I know my monk I slip something between columns. But what?
    Tbh there is no big difference if you search for good/decent stuff since batdocs are kinda fotm atm and wizzards are still pretty popular. I know alot of cm wizzards havin an archon gear as well when they are tierd from button mashing and wanne do a quick lower mp farmrun. How ever some items tend to be cheaper for int classes(like witching hour, low crit chance mempos and unity rings).

If you kinda double your budget you prolly can aim for mp8. MP9 might be so how doable but imo mp10 is still not efficient at all.
    A rough estimate on my gear set is around 3 bil and I am right at MP9 farming, with not quite enough dps for MP10, even with a SoJ. With half that budget I can see getting MP8 capable. Half that again (~800 mil) and MP7 should be fine, with MP8 a possibility, though likely a stretch because of either EHP or DPS. It's hard to raise both to sufficient levels for high MP without spending a small fortune.
    My Wizard
    I am the king: Question as to whether we are talking about EU or NA and what MP level. At a 800m budget if you are willing to take your time to snipe items and spend time crafting you should be able to reach close to 400K DPS buffed. Of my gear only 1 item was over 500m and that is the mempo that I bought yesterday. Prior to that every single item on my wizard is 300m or less. So yes with a 800m budget you can build an awesome archon wizard but you have to have patience (I would say a week of looking at deals at most). If you just want to go to the AH and purchase with what you have now, then yeah no high MP level for you.

If you want to target MP 8/9/10 and want to purchase gear instantly then you will need a couple of billion to start with. Want my advice? Look at the topic below from Loroese regarding EHP and DPS buffed values for archon at different MP levels.
    http://www.diablofans.com/topic/95505-archon-dps-and-ehp-recommedations-vs-mp/
    Download his wizard spreadsheet and fill out the items you think you can get from the AH at that budget and see if you can target your required MP level based on the EHP and DPS calculated.

Bagstone/Shinna I agree with what you are both saying, which is why I stated it was dependent on if he was playing on content he could scream through, i.e. MP level.
    Quote from Phoenixscar

I am the king: Question as to whether we are talking about EU or NA and what MP level. At a 800m budget if you are willing to take your time to snipe items and spend time crafting you should be able to reach close to 400K DPS buffed. Of my gear only 1 item was over 500m and that is the mempo that I bought yesterday. Prior to that every single item on my wizard is 300m or less. So yes with a 800m budget you can build an awesome archon wizard but you have to have patience (I would say a week of looking at deals at most). If you just want to go to the AH and purchase with what you have now, then yeah no high MP level for you.

If you want to target MP 8/9/10 and want to purchase gear instantly then you will need a couple of billion to start with. Want my advice? Look at the topic below from Loroese regarding EHP and DPS buffed values for archon at different MP levels.
    http://www.diablofan...edations-vs-mp/
    Download his wizard spreadsheet and fill out the items you think you can get from the AH at that budget and see if you can target your required MP level based on the EHP and DPS calculated.

Bagstone/Shinna I agree with what you are both saying, which is why I stated it was dependent on if he was playing on content he could scream through, i.e. MP level.

Totally agree with what you're saying. I'm assuming we're talking about US AH. If not then I really have no idea about costs. Patience is the key to finding gear for cheap. If I were to try finding all my gear using buyouts it'd probably cost me more like 5 bil. My OH alone would be about 10x as much as I paid for it, if not more. The difference between 400k and 480k dps isn't a whole lot so I can see getting 400k with close to 800 mil, but the main question then is what EHP you end up with. You can cheat the EHP a bit by just stacking a lot of physical resist since RD really is the most annoying affix for Archon, as long as your final mitigation lets you gain life against RD.

For example, I have 732 resists unbuffed (before GC and Archon form) with 79 physical resist, so about 800 physical resist. I could drop that to around 600 all resist and raise the physical resist to around 200 and still would have similar survivability. I might have to move out of plague and desecrator a little sooner but otherwise it wouldn't change too much about my survivability. Also, physical resist tends to be super cheap compared to all resist, and you can often get it on pieces very easily, such as zuni boots getting high phys resist over all resist, zuni chest getting AR and physical resist (I love my zuni chest with 250 vit, 60 phys resist, and I only paid like 10 mil for it). Those boots should cost a fraction of the price of similar AR boots. You can even add extra vit or armor and still not spend all that much.
    My Wizard
    One thing we all have to keep in mind is the fact that op starts with low ish paragon levels. Compared to some1 in the 80ish pl´s hes loosing like +240int and another +150vit which is alot of dps and ehp to come by from gear. I assume hes on eu servers.
    hope u can understand my post since english is not my first language

Which makes it easier to build a decent set for up to 1,5bil since eu market doesnt suffer from the gold dupe like us servers do. How ever good stuff havin his pricetag even on eu servers. :o

QFT
    So yes with a 800m budget you can build an awesome archon wizard but you have to have patience (I would say a week of looking at deals at most).

Try get as much gear as possible on bids. You can safe alot of gold. Just double or triple check the value of the items and dont overpay when bidding on something which starts at vendorprice and ramps up to a few hundred mil. :P
    I built my Archon wiz for roughly 80m (yes, under 100m) and i am smoothly clearing mp7, sitting at about 300k dps buffed. I actually got a lot of great gear advice from Lorese and a few others. You gotta play with the AH a little and not waste money on absurd items, balance your budget and you can really get a lot out of items missing a stat or 2 that would otherwise make them godly ~2bn+ items. some ideas for you as well as my prof: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/CptBlasto-1274/hero/16845629

Start with crit, aim for 50% its gonna carry all your other stats like chd and AS. A witching hour and innas pants and tals chest are all easy AS so hold out on trifecta items and stack Crit/CHD with hi int. worked really well for me, plus as u make more $$ u can add the endgame trifectas later (or thru crafting)

Dont obsess over EHP. I found shooting for 500 AR/3.5k armor(unbuffed), and 42k-45k hp sufficient as getting a wep with LS makes me completely unkillable at my dps. If anything hit those targets for AR/armor and go for higher HP. (im also not using amythyst in my helm)

Hi int Tals with vit or allres or crit mempo
    Tals ammy with crit if its not too bad, try and have 2pc tals
    Tals chest 9%as, I went for a ton of vit over AR here because its maybe 1/10 the price
    witching hour (get some kind of ehp stat and the best int/cd combo u can get)
    Innas pants, Vit if its reasonable
    OS/CHD/LS black weapon. A lot have Int on them as well and pad your dps nicely but go for dmg first
    You dont need to go zonkers on a Triumv to get a good one. 225 avg dmg and maybe high int or some vit/life%. Make sure its 6/6/6
    zuni trail + pox. Some kind of ehp (again Vit is super cheap) on the boots and absolutley get crit on the pox (4-5%)

All your other slots you can craft around and get good items since the Int is always gonna be nice. Once u hit the 500AR/3.5karmor goal just stack Vit and youll be amazed how easily u stay alive with 300k+ dps (which I got to with 80m)

Good luck and cheers!
    like the others already said, you just need to look for decent deals and you can get a great wizz out of your budget. (at least on eu servers)

I spent not even half of that and got 330k dps and 491k buffed ehp. mp8 is pretty easy farm with that in groups and also solo with a buriza-scoundrel/cold-blooded.

to get you an idea: http://d3up.com/b/740978#gear (currently still without ls-weapon. next thing to upgrade) ;)
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/IamTheKing-2911/hero/24032284

Result of this thread :) Still I have to work a bit on spells.

This is a start gear and I was wondering what shold i upgrade next :D
    Quote from iamtheking

http://eu.battle.net...1/hero/24032284

Result of this thread :) Still I have to work a bit on spells.

This is a start gear and I was wondering what shold i upgrade next :D

mmm you could try crafting int shoulder and bracer :D

also need all resist on zuni boots

the vit on the inna's is good enough imo although if you have shifted elsewhere to get more vit, you could try adding int into the pants

witching hour could use some more work. an int/vit combo without all resist and 9/40+ would work.

tal armor could be high armor with double int/vit. no all resist here imo

triumvirate could use 180+int with 100+vit and 666 or 665 with 8.5cc

of course this depends on your budget.

skill wise:

ditch shocking aspect. it does not work well with archon due to archon attacks having low proc rate. you're better off with either scramble or energy armor-pinpoint or force armor.

hydra has no place there and could be used for either frost nova/deep freeze or diamond skin/crystal shell
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes