Archon LS or NO LS on waepon?

Hello guys,

I'm at a point now that finding upgradres is very hard.
    When I look at DiabloProgress I see that a lot of people around me use waepons without LS on it.

I'm wondering how this plays (especially with reflect packs), and I'm curious about your opinions about this.

So LS or NO LS on my waepon?

Greetz,
    Protax
    http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/protax-2556/Mystara/17224991
    Most people spend all money on a dps weapon such as a EF with socket and crit damage, if they are an archon wizard, they often use magic weapon - blood magic to get that 1,5% lifesteal. Topgear players probably have life regen and LoH ontop of that.
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Quote from Elendiro

Most people spend all money on a dps weapon such as a EF with socket and crit damage, if they are an archon wizard, they often use magic weapon - blood magic to get that 1,5% lifesteal. Topgear players probably have life regen and LoH ontop of that.

LoH? What? No. LoH and life regen doesn't work for high DPS Archon because both don't scale.

@OP:
    Top players use LaK (not necessarily on weapon, it's probably easier to get on rings or maybe amulet). Obviously works quite well if you play low to mid MPs, wouldn't go MP10 with that (then you need Blood Magic as well).

P.S.: I'm actually surprised that a top1000 wizard doesn't know this. Every upgrade for your character will cost you billions, before investing so much money I personally would make 100% sure that I know all the alternatives. The LS/LaK info for example can be found in my guide, check my signature.
    The set I built for my Archon giveaway contest also runs about 1,600 LaK on top of a life steal weapon.

If you don't want to run life steal on your weapon, you need substantially higher EHP than average Archon wizards. Running life steal will generally limit your weapon DPS because there aren't many top DPS weapons out there that also have life steal as a property. However, it will enable you to skip out on some EHP boosting stats.

Personal preference. Do you want to make a simple build that can get you through most farming situations? Or do you want to build a more balanced wizard over a longer period of time?
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    It's a bit of personal preference to how you want to play. I run a life steal weapon with blood magic because I don't want to hassle with playing around RD mobs. If you don't mind taking a little time to apply strategy to RD besides "nuke them til they die", then you can get away without LS on your weapon, but you'll likely want a lot of EHP to give yourself a bit of a buffer.

My preference for gearing is LS+BM+enough physical resistances and armor to gain life against RD. That's what I have managed with my gear and it's quite nice.
    Wizard DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    Crusader DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, meant for Crusaders
    My Wizard
    Quote from Jaetch

The set I built for my Archon giveaway contest also runs about 1,600 LaK on top of a life steal weapon.

If you don't want to run life steal on your weapon, you need substantially higher EHP than average Archon wizards. Running life steal will generally limit your weapon DPS because there aren't many top DPS weapons out there that also have life steal as a property. However, it will enable you to skip out on some EHP boosting stats.

Personal preference. Do you want to make a simple build that can get you through most farming situations? Or do you want to build a more balanced wizard over a longer period of time?

I think with my gameplay it's better to score a waepon with LS, because I'm not very carefull in most situations.
    I'm checking the AH and Diablo Progress for some hours now, but don't understand it.
    In Diablo Progress I see a lot players using a ruby in there waepons, but when I calculate this it gives me most of the times less DPS.
    Is my current waepon that good? Or am I doing something wrong? :)
    I think ruby raises heroscore or something more than emerald. Also, at really high CD levels ruby can beat out emerald.

If you get more dps from emerald, keep using it. It's what I use and it's fine.
    My Wizard
    nice gear jeez.. on mp10 ofc reflect is a SERIOUS pain without LS... when I run archon I've got (all fully buffed and in archon) 380k dps (without LS weapon), 1100+ AR (physical around 1300), 5k armor. one might have thought that's quite OK mitigation and blood magic would be enough, but... reflect is a SERIOUS pain. still.

my poor man's solution was super lame: LS weapon in inventory. probably won't satisfy you but I just wanted to point out that possibility :P
    The problem with quick swapping to a LS weapon is you lose your MW buff, so you only really gain half the LS of the weapon. That means you still need tons of mitigation to be able to break even without BM.

If you want to know the break even mitigations, you need 91% damage mitigation to break even with 4.5% LS, which isn't too hard to achieve (I have 91.7% physical damage reduction in my setup for reference). With 1.5% you need 97%, which is insane and nearly impossible, even with a shield. Usually people that just run BM play more strategically and lure the reflect mobs to other packs, only target 1 of the at a time, and/or hold fire while RD shield is up.
    My Wizard
    Keep in mind that some people have gear just for Diabloprogress, thats' right just to move up the ranks there (pointless if you ask me).

Now regarding this specific question, its just preference. I personally I don't run a LS weapon but I have a pretty good amount of ehp. But not Jaetch's amount of EHP, that's just ridiculous lol.
    Quote from RasAlgethi24

Keep in mind that some people have gear just for Diabloprogress, thats' right just to move up the ranks there (pointless if you ask me).

Now regarding this specific question, its just preference. I personally I don't run a LS weapon but I have a pretty good amount of ehp. But not Jaetch's amount of EHP, that's just ridiculous lol.

Yep. Some people keep a pure DPS weapon on their profile just to amp up their overall unbuffed stats to boost hero score.

I used to do that back in late 2012 when I stacked pure DPS.

...And to be fair, Ras, I did give up about 200K EHP in favor of about 50K DPS! It's just slightly abnormal instead of straight-up weird now.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    ^LOL I didn't mean ridiculous in a bad way. I just meant it was an absurdly high EHP value in a great way. If you can achieve it while maintaining dps, awesome.
    I just keep an LL weapon in my inventory to switch to whenever I see RD. It's no way NEAR as good as my main weapon, but it gets me around the RDs just fine without nerfing me on everything else.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes