Project Build the PvP Wizard

Update on the Blizzard build. It's really not working out as well as I'd like it to, even with +13 seconds. Against well-geared DHs and WDs, I performed absolutely horribly than compared to Seeker Missiles and defensive/mobility spells. The Blizzard build simply sacrifices far too much DPS for my liking.

And Mirror Diamond Skin (reflect) is not worthwhile at all.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Quote from Jaetch

Update on the Blizzard build. It's really not working out as well as I'd like it to, even with +13 seconds. Against well-geared DHs and WDs, I performed absolutely horribly than compared to Seeker Missiles and defensive/mobility spells. The Blizzard build simply sacrifices far too much DPS for my liking.

And Mirror Diamond Skin (reflect) is not worthwhile at all.

So what build do you recommend now? Do you think that SOJs are mandatory for PvP?
    Nice idea. How are wizards holding up in general PvP to other classes?
    Quote from InfinityX

So what build do you recommend now? Do you think that SOJs are mandatory for PvP?

I still like my missiles build, just because it seems to be the most reliable in terms of balance. High DPS/EHP really helps. As for SoJ, I would definitely like to pick one up with max stats and max +Magic Missile damage.

Quote from seraphex

Nice idea. How are wizards holding up in general PvP to other classes?

Bad. Similarly geared DHs, monks, and WDs can easily overwhelm barbs and wizards. Well, playstyle matters a lot, so if you have the skills, game sense and mechanics down, you can outplay people who are equally or better geared.
    Four Rare recipes have been added to the Blacksmith: Archon Spaulders (Shoulders), Archon Gauntlets (Gloves), Archon Armor (Chest Armor), Razorspikes (Bracers

For Pvp we can easy craft better items than what we are using I think in order:

Bracers

Gloves

Amu

Shoulders

What u think?
    let's be honest pvp is all about gear , even a crappy build will do great in awesome gear
    Quote from kheopsDZ

let's be honest Diablo 3 is all about gear , even a crappy build will do great in awesome gear

Fixed!
    I'm kaio#2367 (1 position back to you in world pvp dummy and 2nd in eu)

I duelled vs 2nd barb in eu wit this build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aQXlkT!hUd!cYaYZb

and it was pretty balanced but I got a problem:

when he was low he go back and run to regen.. and I can't stop him...

Was thinking about focus on paralysis with samthing like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bQilkT!hUV!bYZYZb

or the same but with magic missle...

any idea?
    I prefer your first choice with Blizzard.

What do you mean he runs to regen? You mean passive regen or going back to town? If it's the former, you should be okay as long as you have your own way to regen (or just chase after him). If it's the latter, well, that just essentially means he surrendered :)
    hi .This is a build that I came up with. that requires less kiting but prefect timing and some spamming. Please check it out and leave your thoughts. :D Thank you for you time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU7uXzcoct0&feature=youtu.be
    Quote from Bagstone

Quote from kheopsDZ

let's be honest Diablo 3 is all about gear , even a crappy build will do great in awesome gear

Fixed!

oh yes because Diablo 2 pvp didn't revolve around Enigma at all
    Seek & Destroy Build really nice build man!
    Is it not possible to drop time warp for hydra ? seeing as hydra will attack and slow while you are kiting adding another passive damage source to storm armor?
    Seek & Destroy Build that is
    I've tested a little this one

http://us.battle.net...SdkT!hYd!ccZaZb

Teleport Calamity is pretty good against DH, WD and WIZ and other fleeing characters.
    Using this with WoF exactly after teleport is instakill most of the times.
    WoF Impactful Wave is also useful against melee (due to stun).

I went for Force wepon and glass cannon due to my VERY low dps, but this build really satisfie me a lot...

Give it a try
    Quote from Doganaws

I've tested a little this one

http://us.battle.net...SdkT!hYd!ccZaZb

Teleport Calamity is pretty good against DH, WD and WIZ and other fleeing characters.
    Using this with WoF exactly after teleport is instakill most of the times.
    WoF Impactful Wave is also useful against melee (due to stun).

I went for Force wepon and glass cannon due to my VERY low dps, but this build really satisfie me a lot...

Give it a try

Yeah, one of my friends suggested this to me earlier during PTR. It is quite effective, though the utility is somewhat lacking because it involves going into point-blank range, which could easily backfire (especially against monks), which is why Diamond Skin is so useful. Also, a skilled DH or WD will instantly just pop Smokescreen and Spirit Walk upon seeing you on screen anyway.

But if you land the combo, it is indeed deadly. Also, Teleporting Wave is pretty fun if you're in an all-out brawl with four people simultaneously hacking at each other :)
    Have you guys tried Schaeffer's Hammer Fracture?
    sto lavorando
    I just made this build. I call it Schaefer's Storm. It's a bit of a themed build, but it seems to work very well so far for me.

Build: Schaefer's Storm

Complementary Weapon: Schaefer's Hammer

This weapon makes all the difference for me in a fight with that build. It might have slow attack speed, but I'm sure there is other gear that can be found to complement the style very well.
    Jellyfish are the one and only true Wizards
    This thread has been great so far. I've really only had success with the standard 'seek and destroy' build, but I'm planning on testing a few more as soon as I can.

Can we also get some discussion going on how to gear/itemize for wizard pvp? Not sure if you want to fit that into this thread, or if we should make a separate new one for what stats to look for and how much of each to get (resists/armor?). These could vary depending on your opponent of course, but it'd be nice to have an overall guideline that you can count on against all classes, if that's possible.

It's looking like having high vit/life is crucial, then increased damage to/reduced damage from elites helps quite a bit since it's basically PvP power and PvP resilience for any of you that have played WoW.

I've found it sort of unreliable to try and stack crit damage, crit chance and attack speed like we do in PvE. I'm aiming for a decent amount of crit chance, maybe 30% or so, and like 200% crit damage. It seems like straight intellect could be more beneficial than stats like CC/Cdmg/AS. Attack speed is important for missile spamming, but I think I'll get most of it from a chantodo's set. Then again, I could be very wrong about this stuff, since I haven't been testing very long. These are just first impressions.
    Quote from Chrispylol

This thread has been great so far. I've really only had success with the standard 'seek and destroy' build, but I'm planning on testing a few more as soon as I can.

Can we also get some discussion going on how to gear/itemize for wizard pvp? Not sure if you want to fit that into this thread, or if we should make a separate new one for what stats to look for and how much of each to get (resists/armor?). These could vary depending on your opponent of course, but it'd be nice to have an overall guideline that you can count on against all classes, if that's possible.

It's looking like having high vit/life is crucial, then increased damage to/reduced damage from elites helps quite a bit since it's basically PvP power and PvP resilience for any of you that have played WoW.

I've found it sort of unreliable to try and stack crit damage, crit chance and attack speed like we do in PvE. I'm aiming for a decent amount of crit chance, maybe 30% or so, and like 200% crit damage. It seems like straight intellect could be more beneficial than stats like CC/Cdmg/AS. Attack speed is important for missile spamming, but I think I'll get most of it from a chantodo's set. Then again, I could be very wrong about this stuff, since I haven't been testing very long. These are just first impressions.

EHP, high weapon damage, and a SoJ are key. Rubies help in this case for weapon damage.

Well, last night I went 1v1 against the #1 PvP barb in the U.S. (http://www.diablopro...kShips/22038208).

He tweaked his build so he had about 200K HP (about 5 million unbuffed EHP) with over 2,000 life regeneration, however he carried about 70K DPS and relied on Rend for constant DoT and HotA.

I used this build: http://us.battle.net...XdiT!Zhe!YZaabY

1. Healing Blades - I use a 30% to elites, 6% Fire damage, 10% Spectral Blades bonus SoJ. 5% recovery isn't too shabby either. The Fire damage from my SoJ is also used for the Conflagration passive.
    2. Arcane Orbit - perfect against melee characters, the orbs hit for 80% weapon damage per orb (4 total). Easily refreshable.
    3. Crystal Shell - simply for the tanking purposes and the fact that it lasts quite a while and helps against DoT effects.
    4. Impactful Wave - this is essential for getting bonus hits out of Spectral Blade and gives you time to refresh Arcane Orbit if it's wearing down. Also essential for working with Venom Hydra (see below).
    5. Venom Hydra - DoT is killer in PvP, so as wizard's real effective DoT, I had to find a way to use it. Getting someone to stay still and sit in a pool of poison is the tricky part, hence the need to go melee with Spectral Blades and stun with Impactful Wave.
    6. Scramble - solely a utility spell that allows you to reposition while spells like Diamond Skin and Wave of Force are on cooldown.

Blur - anti-melee defense
    Unstable Anomaly - bonus HP, additional crowd control
    Conflagration/Cold-Blooded - depending on what kind of SoJ you use, both Conflagration (fire) and Cold-Blooded (cold) works with modified Spectral Blades to grant you bonus damage overall.

I chose not to use Mirror Image because of the barb's Furious Charge (healing on contact). At the end, the barb beat me out if he kites and heals up (my regeneration is meh). But if we go head-to-head, we're pretty even.
    Quote from Ghost_Sanguis

I just made this build. I call it Schaefer's Storm. It's a bit of a themed build, but it seems to work very well so far for me.

Build: Schaefer's Storm

Complementary Weapon: Schaefer's Hammer

This weapon makes all the difference for me in a fight with that build. It might have slow attack speed, but I'm sure there is other gear that can be found to complement the style very well.

That actually looks pretty fun. I might give it a try.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes