Project Build the PvP Wizard

Quote from sechssechssechs

Today I used the Blizz-Hydra-build with the passive paralysis instead of galvanizing ward/cold blooded to great effect against a 300k dps-unbuffed dh. He got stunned so often that I bet he was rather annoyed later on ;)...

also @Jaetch: You're totally right with the Mirror image instead of Frost Nova, it really seems to be one of the go to skills for the pvp wiz.

I have to try Paralysis then. It's so often overlooked because of the uselessness it was in standard PvE runs. Perhaps they tweaked the rate?

Quote from jayzenn

Hey Jaetch, Your signature says "Top wizard pvp ratings in North America". Wtf does that mean exactly? If it means what it sounds like is there a list compiled some where with ratings or some thing?

It's a ratings system based on:

PvP Dummy Rankings

PvP Dummy score answers to question:
    Two heroes meet each other in arena, if they stand still and only DPS each other, without buffs, who would win?

Formula for PvP Dummy Score:
    dps * ehp * K_DUMMY

All the values are unbuffed.

Explanation:
    Hero1 kills Hero2 in ehp2/dps1 seconds.
    Hero2 kills Hero1 in ehp1/dps2 seconds.
    If ehp2/dps1

It doesn't factor in life regeneration, though. But even then, you'd need thousands of HP per second to make it truly count.

Essentially, it means any wizard in the U.S. on average would lose to me if all we did was stand in front of each other and launch Magic Missiles at each other the entire time. Or in other words, the higher the PvP score, the longer you'd typically last 1v1 in a duel.

It's fairly accurate. I looked up the players who gave me a hard time and they all had scores higher than me on DiabloProgress.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Thanks for sharing
    May the heroes rise from the pit of despair and the bards sing of the day of death renewed to everlasting
    immortality....awaiting your return to the lands of Sanctuary may peace be with you on this day...your day of birth.

The Crew
    Gonna be trying out the build/spec in my sig atm.

I have +7 sec to blizz duration so far, and am working to get a better SoJ...one thing I know i need sorely is way more eph, but ohh god can I cover the map with the regen from tal 4 set + astral regen and max ap.
    Regarding the Blizzard-Hydra build, it's actually not that great against DHs and WDs of similar gear level. In this case, unless you have a bunch of AP regen, it's not feasible to spam Blizzard. I tried Snowbound instead, and it worked a little better. Still takes too long.

Quote from BDF2000

Gonna be trying out the build/spec in my sig atm.

I have +7 sec to blizz duration so far, and am working to get a better SoJ...one thing I know i need sorely is way more eph, but ohh god can I cover the map with the regen from tal 4 set + astral regen and max ap.

That sounds like a solution to me.
    Did a quick vid showing what the gear in my profile and this build: http://us.battle.net...QkXT!XWh!ZbcZbZ

and do for spamming blizzard and its duration (skip to T=20 sec to get past showing my gear and spec)

youtube.com/watch?feature=&v=dkpdGnAz0IE

With base regen, tal 4 set, and astral pressence my regen should be 14 AP/sec...with power of the storm rune on storm armor and snowbound on blizzard each cast costs 17 AP.
    I have a hard time against monk, when it does dashing strike and seven sided strike i am dead, end of the story

he got serenity so i can't ensnare him and i can't do dmg, he's always at full hp and full mobility,

i have 80k hp and 770 all res on PTR but i still get steamrolled by any random monk

i spam duplicates, fracture and diamond skin but it's worthless
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aZiQkT!ZWd!caZcbb

I used this build with nice effects. It's a quite universal one.
    Quote from Goldroger_82

I have a hard time against monk, when it does dashing strike and seven sided strike i am dead, end of the story

he got serenity so i can't ensnare him and i can't do dmg, he's always at full hp and full mobility,

i have 80k hp and 770 all res on PTR but i still get steamrolled by any random monk

i spam duplicates, fracture and diamond skin but it's worthless

Timing, timing, timing.

You see a monk come in. You anticipate Serenity - FoT to close distance and stun with SSS.

Let the monk come in and let him hit you with FoT. As soon as SSS is popped, hit Mirror Image and immediately Wormhole to safety. Don't bother with ensnares. Focus on your own escape mechanisms.

Alternatively, he could skip SSS and use Wave of Light instead. In this case, pop Mirror Image + Diamond Skin and Wormhole out.

In all scenarios, you have to use Mirror Image to break the stun or the knockback the very moment the monk activates the abilities. Storm Armor will generally kill the monk while you're repositioning (and Illusionist should activate on any of the SSS or WoL hits) unless your DPS is horrid and the monk has insane EHP (in that case, you're simply outgeared and shouldn't win 1v1 anyway).
    That's some impressive gear Jaetch. Curious, how much real money have you put into the game?
    Hi guys, Monks are easy.. I can't post vid coz i gave away gear on PTR.. can't copy.. WTF...

So for monks, don't allow them to teleport. block their teleport !! Just stay behind some thing all the time, have something that blocks their teleport.. a wall perhaps..
    And have 24% move speed, blizzard, hydra kill them... If they try to come other side of wall, just move other side.. LOL

Blizzard all entry points to your side of the wall.

They will try to escape when on cool down or low hp, then just come out and throw magic missiles, and hide back again behind the walls.

beaware they may Throw the bell, the bell will get through the wall and kill you. So this should be kited.
    monks are useless without their teleport.

I have unlimited fun kiting them around a wall with my DH, will do soon with wizard also.
    Apparently Storm Armor is now somehow dodge-able? Depending on how easy it is to do so (cause I can't fathom how that would work), it might no longer be worth using at all.
    Quote from ArcaneWeapon

Apparently Storm Armor is now somehow dodge-able? Depending on how easy it is to do so (cause I can't fathom how that would work), it might no longer be worth using at all.

It's still reliable, just not as dirt-cheap as before.

People shouldn't rely on Storm Armor. It's meant to be bonus, complementary damage, not your main offense.

Right now, this build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#agXQkT!dUh!ccaZZb, which is the Seeker build listed in the original topic, is by far my personal favorite and most reliable build for me.

Hopefully I'll have time to put up sample videos of this build in action this weekend. I'm matching up fairly well to seriously geared paragon 100 WDs, throw-shield barbs, high DPS/EHP DHs, legacy DHs, and shield monks.
    Hey Jaetch, have you found any use for the reflect dmg runes on storm armor and diamond skin? Is the bit of extra dmg from thunderstorm and the double size diamond skin really worth not getting another shot in?
    Quote from BDF2000

Hey Jaetch, have you found any use for the reflect dmg runes on storm armor and diamond skin? Is the bit of extra dmg from thunderstorm and the double size diamond skin really worth not getting another shot in?

I enjoy the Scramble rune more for its utility, more than the damage. I haven't really tried Mirror Skin yet, but I'll bet it's pretty awesome.

Uploaded a video of the Seeker Missile build (dubbed it "Seek & Destroy") in the original topic. Video should be done processing in a few.
    Finally got to try out my 13 second blizzard build, and against similarly geared people I almost always win. I can cover my entire screen with blizzards fairly easily and hugging a wall or statue helps me deal with monks and demon hunters alot.

Really fun and you get alot of funny reactions to it with randoms....

Let it snow,
    let it snow,
    let it snow.
    Quote from BDF2000

Finally got to try out my 13 second blizzard build, and against similarly geared people I almost always win. I can cover my entire screen with blizzards fairly easily and hugging a wall or statue helps me deal with monks and demon hunters alot.

Really fun and you get alot of funny reactions to it with randoms....

Let it snow,
    let it snow,
    let it snow.

Mind posting up the skill build and full gear selection for emulation?
    Can't post my full gearset from work, but the build has a bit of personal latitude and what it requires to make use of blizzard is:

Tal Rasha 4-Set
    Skull Grasp with +2 blizz duration
    SoJ with +2 blizz duration
    Source with +3 blizz duration
    Astral Pressence Passive

Everything else is up to personal preference, but the build I use is: http://us.battle.net...iXkT!hdX!baZaZZ

Stark Winter rune instead of snowbound can sometimes work as the area it does damage in is slightly larger than the actual animation, but the cost of the spell is brutal.

Largely you don't go offensive against most opponents, and take advantage of line of sight alot...but you really learn to try and inticipate an opponents path as you can try to use blizzards to control their movement and force them down certain cooridors. For alot of slippery opponents you can use blizzard to inhibit their movement to let storm armor do its work. This build (as I play it) has no strong direct attack, though against alot of glass cannons 2 seconds in a blizzard will be more than enough to kill them.

Extremely effective against any kind of camper, you can block all exits, and then move in.

Make life hell for ninja DHs.
    That's a lot of +Blizz duration, BDF. Seems that your build is gear dependent then. I was hoping I could use my archon gear and just switch skills, haha! Why the Tal Rasha 4-set by the way? For the 3% cold dmg and AP bonus? Any alternatives?
    Quote from Vexione

That's a lot of +Blizz duration, BDF. Seems that your build is gear dependent then. I was hoping I could use my archon gear and just switch skills, haha! Why the Tal Rasha 4-set by the way? For the 3% cold dmg and AP bonus? Any alternatives?

The + cold dmg is a nice bonus, but it is mostly for the extra AP regen...and while it isn't totally needed, it enhances the build's effectiveness (more blizzards) and allows you to stay at low Arcane power levels without worrying about running out again after a single teleport should you get attacked.
    I'm going to try the Blizzard build with Skorn instead for the bigger weapon damage. I'll look for +duration for Blizzard on Skull Grasp, Stone of Jordan and Mara's Kaleidoscope.

I'm also thinking about swapping out Lightning Hydra for Seeker Missile, that way I can make use of Prodigy for the bonus AP (if needed), else I'm thinking about Wave of Force - Teleporting Wave (muahaha) instead for added defense (that way the illusions can also cast Wave).

Too bad I won't be able to do this on PTR until another few days pass so I can re-copy my character over.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes