BIS Gear setups (1.0.6)

The following is a comparison of some of the most popular gear setups for wizards that are trying to achieve the maximum DPS potential of the class. These are the BIS (BIS = Best In Slot, best possible rolls on items that you can get) and is not meant to be a gearing guide, but rather to give us a general idea of which setup outperforms the others.

Please take note:
    • DPS is unbuffed (no glass cannon, no followers, no force weapon, no sparkflint, etc)
    • EHP is unbuffed
    • Paragon level 100
    • Best possible rolls on a Dagger and a Sword (explanation here, thanks to DisposableHeero and a fix by Thespeaker)
    • Best possible rolls on every slot
    • Perfect quadfecta Tal Rasha's amulet loses to perfect quintfecta rare in every setup
    Gear setupDPS(unbuffed)EHP(unbuffed)
    Sword+Trium+Zuni Boots781.48k739.26k
    Sword+Trium+Zuni x2769.79k758.06k
    Sword+Trium761.99k856.86k
    Sword+Ctd750.49k741.73k
    Dagger+Tirum+Zuni Boots733.47k739.26k
    Dagger+Trium+Zuni x2718.3k758.06k
    Dagger+Trium715.18k856.86k
    Dagger+Ctd707.88k741.73k
    Skorn+Zuni Boots540.01k767.79k
    Skorn519.92k888.57k

Weapon choice explanation:
    A weapon can roll up to 6 affixes, we are looking for
    • Damage range (it is shown in two lines, but it is actually a single affix, a damage range)
    • Damage %
    • Socket
    • Critical hit damage
    • Intel
    • Increased attack speed
    I have tried the setup with a slower 1 handed axe and it nets an overall DPS loss, hence the faster the base weapon attack speed is - the greater the resulting DPS. The benefit mostly comes from +damage rolls on rings / amulets. Looking at the fastest possible weapons in the game
    • 1 handed dagger = 1.5 APS
    • 1 handed sword and wand= 1.4 APS
    There is an innate problem with wands however - out of the 6 rolls on the wand 1 roll always has to be a wizard specific stat I.E. +max arcane power or APoC, hence the wand can only have 5 DPS stats and that is the reason why it is not included in the list. If you are faced with the choice - the least DPS loss is the IAS. With the dagger and the wand coming in quite close.

Further variations:
    There is a very large amount of possible variations of the gear setup, losing some DPS gaining some EHP, etc. I do not plan on encompassing every single variation in here. If you wish to experiment on your own, using d3up.com
    1. login with your account (create one for free if you need to)
    2. open the link to the profile that i linked
    3. click on any item in my profile
    4. under the item name click 'copy item'
    5. now the item is in your account list
    6. create a character, go to gear tab, click change / simulate gear
    7. choose the item you just copied from my profile to equip
    Now you can experiment with the individual preference in terms of gear. If you do find something that would fit into the list of the DPS above - please do post the profile and i'll add it into the list.

P.S. If i have missed any stat on any item or a roll somewhere - let me know i'll fix it up.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    -- Albert Einstein

I'm personally slowly inching along for your second profile, which is what most wizards run (as we can see, it has the highest potential).

Edit: Actually, have you tried throwing in max average damage for jewelry instead of resistance or vitality? I'm pretty sure that will boost the DPS ceiling even more.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Yea, that was one of the reasons why i was creating these - i did not believe there is a big difference between ice climbers vs 2pcs zuni and i wanted to see the actual difference, as it's visible - the difference is really minimal, i forgot to include the EHP, hang on let me fix this, because Ice climber setup wins EHP by a country mile
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    -- Albert Einstein

Oh, it's interesting how the BIS wand in your calculator said 1304.1 DPS and crit damage is 98% (why not 100?).

Here's the BIS wand minus 68 intelligence:

One of the top wizards in the U.S. linked me these and asked if I wanted to buy it for 8 billion gold. Unfortunately, I required more minerals... er, gold. Er... cash.

Now it's in the #1 U.S. wizard's hand. He's on my friends list so I get to stare at it every single day...
    It's the world No1 1 handed weapon by gearscore, i took the liberty to increase the INT roll to the max though.

And btw - there are 2 of those wands, but lets no delve into that topic :)
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote from TheDemokin

It's the world No1 1 handed weapon by gearscore, i took the liberty to increase the INT roll to the max though.

And btw - there are 2 of those wands, but lets no delve into that topic :)

You mean owned by HoHo and RaytheonThor? That's because HoHo was the original owner before she sold it to Raytheon. I was there during the transitioning period, haha. DiabloProgress records an item's history as it transfers ownership because it logs the names of everyone who has equipped it in the past (given that the player is listed on DiabloProgress before the item transferred ownership).

For example: http://www.diablopro...m/item/10318044

That used to be the Chantodo's I found back when the legendaries patch hit. I eventually sold it on AH where now it's currently equipped by that Chinese player.
    I wonder how trifecta with max crit damage and high average damage with Int would compare to the trifecta zuni and tal. Just plugging some numbers into my spreadsheet that tals would be about the same for me as a max CC, CD, IAS amulet with 200 int. So that's not counting bonus damage.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    Quote from Loroese

I wonder how trifecta with max crit damage and high average damage with Int would compare to the trifecta zuni and tal. Just plugging some numbers into my spreadsheet that tals would be about the same for me as a max CC, CD, IAS amulet with 200 int. So that's not counting bonus damage.

Good point, i completely forgot about the average damage on rings / amulets, i'll re-do it a little in a bit to min/max the DPS possibilities and see how that comes out
    -- Albert Einstein

Interesting. Interesting to see that no one's even close yet to the highest DPS profile. And also interesting that the difference between 1H and Skorn is so much...

Btw, it seems as if IAS on Mempo is missing?
    I also suspect that average damage on jewelery might push Zuni boots a bit higher than Ice Climbers.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    two things i noticed... your mempo's seems to be missing attack speed. Also, lacuni's can't have 200 int, 200 vit, 80 resist all, and 6 crit chance... Basically you have 5 rolls their when it only gets 3.
    The 5 rolls are:
    100 int + 100 vit
    100 int
    100 vit
    80 resist all
    6 crit.

Choose the best 3.

I think the same thing is going on with your gloves. the 300 int and 200 vit is actually 3 rolls. so you have 7 rolls total on there. there might be issues with other pieces too, but i didnt look that close. let me know if i have something wrong...

edit - rings too

btw, i was looking at this one: BIS Wizard (MH+OH)
    Many of your items are incorrect mate. Gloves and rare ring seem to have 7 affixes (chc, chd, as, int, int+vit, vit, AR), Lacunis 5 random rolls (int, int+vit, vit, AR, chc) when they only have 3. Missing AS on Mempo (maybe it just doesnt show? ), the wand is weird etc etc.
    I'm sure you will polish it, just trying to help. In most cases you will have to remove 100vit.

Gebby just beat me with his post ;)
    Quote from Loroese

Added the bonus average damage to the ring, Tal's amulet cannot have it neither can Zuni ring

Quote from Bagstone

Interesting. Interesting to see that no one's even close yet to the highest DPS profile. And also interesting that the difference between 1H and Skorn is so much...

Btw, it seems as if IAS on Mempo is missing?

AIS on Mempo fixed

Quote from Turtel

Many of your items are incorrect mate. Gloves and rare ring seem to have 7 affixes (chc, chd, as, int, int+vit, vit, AR), Lacunis 5 random rolls (int, int+vit, vit, AR, chc) when they only have 3. Missing AS on Mempo (maybe it just doesnt show? ), the wand is weird etc etc.
    I'm sure you will polish it, just trying to help. In most cases you will have to remove 100vit.

Gebby just beat me with his post ;)

Fixed the rings + lacuni + gloves + witching

Thanks for the input, if you guys find more - let me know i'll polish it up

Main post updated
    -- Albert Einstein

Going to add in a Chantodo's OH gear setup just to see the comparison
    -- Albert Einstein

Vile ward has 3 randoms, Int+vit, vit, life%
    Remove vit :)
    Add 265armor

Actually, the Witching Hour had correct amount of random affixes before you changed it. However, 12% life would be better than 100 vit i believe.
    Quote from Turtel

Vile ward has 3 randoms, Int+vit, vit, life%
    Remove vit :)
    Add 265armor

Actually, the Witching Hour had correct amount of random affixes before you changed it. However, 12% life would be better than 100 vit i believe.

Fixed

WH should have 3 affixes: INT + INT/VIT + AR
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote from TheDemokin

the 3 affixes would be INT/VIT + AR + Life%

it has 100 INT base
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-witching-hour
    Quote from Turtel

Quote from TheDemokin

the 3 affixes would be INT/VIT + AR + Life%

it has 100 INT base
    http://us.battle.net...e-witching-hour

Bah, thanks you're right, i'll fix it in a bit
    -- Albert Einstein

On the D3 Forums we did a BIS with perfect rolls and calculated the highest DPS achieved with that gear. With buffs we got up to 1.3million. If you want to check it out it's here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7199402895?page=1
    How much would the skorn+2p zuni crit for with arcane destruction?
    What if you optimized for max Int,CD, and +%elemental dmg over attck spd?

What about if you added a SoJ to the mix?
    What if you add bone chill, time warp, conflag, glass cannon?
    With this spec: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#PmSjgY!YWe!aaZaZc

And other class buffs %30dmg WD, %48 monk, %12dmg DH?

This must be answered!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes