[Guide] Massive Guide to Upgrading Wizard Gear

I have a question about gearing. Would you recomend 1h + offhand over 1.3k+ dps skorn with best possible stats ( like 200% crit dmg, 320 int and LS) ? I find one handers to be extremely expensive ( can buy pretty awesome offhand for 30m though).
    Quote from Gochu

I have a question about gearing. Would you recomend 1h + offhand over 1.3k+ dps skorn with best possible stats ( like 200% crit dmg, 320 int and LS) ? I find one handers to be extremely expensive ( can buy pretty awesome offhand for 30m though).

Offhands aren't the expensive parts - the mainhand is the problem.

For best possible Skorn you're missing a socket, but still: unless you've access to an awesome 1h, I'd definitely stick with Skorn. I've got a pretty nice Triumverate (self-found, so some bias towards using it over a 2h), but finding a MH with decent stats and DPS is almost impossible.
    Quote from Gochu

I'd just go with whatever gives you the highest dps. Depending on your gear level, that might be a Skorn, but most likely you can get a better MH+OH for the same price since Skorns with life steal are super expensive.

For comparison, my MH+OH combo cost me under 20 mil (12 mil for OH, 6.5 for MH, though similar MHs are a bit hard to find for that price if you don't have a lot of time to watch ending auctions). I'd need a skorn with like 1350 DPS, 300 Int,and almost max crit damage to get the same dps, or 1400 dps with 250 crit damage. To find one with Life steal also would cost about as much or more than all my gear combined so far, so the 1h+OH is much much cheaper, though you don't get as much LS.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    I'll try to update this tonight when I get home from work (yay weekend).

Quote from Gochu

The advice the others have given you are on the money. If I have anything else to offer, I'll do that when I'm off.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    Angrybear#1672
    any upgrade suggestions for me? im looking to get a better chantado will and a new chantado force
    Firstly, thank you for the helpful guide.

I'm curious - in your signature it says that your dps is 291k; in your bnet profile its 427k. Is Bnet displaying buffed dps?

I want to ask for some advice from diablofans community and made an account.
    My gear and current build: eu battle net/d3/en/profile/dante-2908/hero/1437409 (dante#2908)
    I have 4M gold. That skorn dropped recently and buffed my dps from 50k to 70k.
    Currently farming on MP2 for keys, items and XP with the ultimate goal to get hellfire ring.

1) What build do you recommend with my current gear? Is my current build ok for solo?

2) What to aim for in short-term?
    • more crit hit chance to enable CM based archon build (2 new rings)?
    • just more dps / move speed to enable archon build?
    • Stash money and collect X million for what?
    In terms of concrete upgrades, I'm between many options: should I upgrade first my helm/shoulders, jewelry (rings with crit chance), 1H+triumvirate or sth else?

That skorn I have is worth like 3M tops; I feel I cant afford APOC gear and a decent 1H to go for CM-WW build - id prefer to jump directly to archon or other builds suitable for killing uber bosses.
    Quote from dantethewiz

Firstly, thank you for the helpful guide.

I'm curious - in your signature it says that your dps is 291k; in your bnet profile its 427k. Is Bnet displaying buffed dps?

I want to ask for some advice from diablofans community and made an account.
    My gear and current build: eu battle net/d3/en/profile/dante-2908/hero/1437409 (dante#2908)
    I have 4M gold. That skorn dropped recently and buffed my dps from 50k to 70k.
    Currently farming on MP2 for keys, items and XP with the ultimate goal to get hellfire ring.

1) What build do you recommend with my current gear? Is my current build ok for solo?

2) What to aim for in short-term?
    • more crit hit chance to enable CM based archon build (2 new rings)?
    • just more dps / move speed to enable archon build?
    • Stash money and collect X million for what?
    In terms of concrete upgrades, I'm between many options: should I upgrade first my helm/shoulders, jewelry (rings with crit chance), 1H+triumvirate or sth else?

That skorn I have is worth like 3M tops; I feel I cant afford APOC gear and a decent 1H to go for CM-WW build - id prefer to jump directly to archon or other builds suitable for killing uber bosses.

Right, BNet profile shows buffed stats.

1. You're on the right track and stacking the right stats. You should try the Archon build. The cheapest items for you to upgrade should be your helm and shoulders, with the belt and chest a close second.

2. Like I mentioned before, try out Archon on low MP (1-2). Adding more DPS with move speed (i.e. Lacuni's or Inna's Temperance) will cost huge gold, so yes... save money. Just farm more on low levels with Archon and you'll eventually gain enough paragon levels to kill faster and farm more efficiently.
    Thank you so much
    US 4th/World 20th Paragon lv100 Wizard
    My Diabloprogress Page
    Wizard solo kill Uber Boss MP 10
    Thanx for the answer and help.

I upgraded my helm (extra 87 int for 500k :D) and found zunimassa armor, now saving money for decent shoulders, but i guess i need at least 10M.

I also switched to archon build and tried different variations of it (best for me seems to be teleporting archon with evocation passive).
    I'm farming alkaizer run and unfortunately I still have trouble keeping in archon form. But it sure is faster than my last build :)
    I still feel that I can't reset my archon cd quickly enough with WW (too low crit chance i reckon).

I'm curios, can alkaizer run be farmed with archon build efficiently or is there a better run for farming with archon?
    I checked the archon build thread, there was no mention of the best locations for farming with archon besides for keep lvl2.
    Alkaizer run definitely works for Archon. Keep 2 + Crater 2 are the spots where you sometimes get so many kills that you'll leave it with 2-3 minutes remaining on Archon buff. I personally don't cancel it for the rebuff but try to take at least 40s to the Fields of Slaughter because it sometimes may drop there. Core of Arreat and Tower are sometimes a bit more difficult, but it's still important to do them first because in these first ~4 minutes you get 4-5 NV. When I start the run and encounter serious problems (extremely annoying combo of phase beasts at the entrance to Azmodan), I even do a re-start; it takes ~15 seconds which is better than waiting for more than a minute for Archon to come back.
    I've mostly been just running Field through bridge to siegebreaker, Keep level 2, then go for the keywarden. I don't like Core because the phasebeasts are just too annoying. I find the mob density of tower to be too low, though sometimes I still run there anyway because it often has 1-3 elites. If I don't really care too much about the key, I'll also run crater.

If you're having problem refreshing Archon, buy a cheap wand with 10 APoC, LoH, and low dps and do the same with OH. Switch to new weapon+OH and just spam WW. With that setup it only takes me 10s or so to refresh my Archon most of the time. I also prefer Illusionist over evocation for Teleport because then you can teleport pretty much every time you are hit, which is great against phasebeasts and tremors.
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    What about the events at the bridge and the two doors that are sometimes opened - do you go in there for the quick elite kill? And in general, do you try to stack up NV5 asap and then skip elites or are you killing every pack you find?

Sadly, I can't do the bridge anymore - annoying lag every time I get there, makes it totally unplayable...
    I only do events if I'm under 5 NV since you don't always get rares from the elites. I always go in the storeroom for the elite if it's there at the end of the bridge. It takes very little time and is usually pretty easy as Archon. I don't skip any elites, or mobs, I just mow through everything as fast as possible.
    I'm a bit baffled at how I can see wizards breaking even the 350k mark in terms of dps, it seems that every upgrade I look at nowadays costs hundreds of millions and according to spread sheets gives me a 10k dps gain at max.

Also how is it that high dps wizards can survive against reflect dmg mobs in high mp lvls, even in archon form? or god forbid if they come across them while archon is on cd for whatever reason.

/signed a slightly confused and oddly squishy wizard
    We don't run Archon at high MP levels. To survive against reflect mobs, it doesn't matter what your DPS is or MP level, only your damage resistance. If you reach the point where you gain as much life as you lose, you can raise your DPS while keeping your damage reduction the same and the balance remains. Alternatively, if you just kill damage reflect elites before they do much of anything, because of high dps, then you don't have to worry about them much. That's partly what I do since my damage reduction isn't very high and I still lose life with over 4% life steal. That and pop a health pot or teleport to health globes.
    I actually just ran Archon on MP8 in a group. But I can assume this will work in solo as well.

http://us.battle.net...XYSO!bgf!caaccc

Magical against ubers and elite packs. Although using Arcane Destruction on Reflect mobs (and uber Siegebreaker) is a big no-no.
    Well, to be honest... there's a small difference between your DPS (it's just insane and most of us will probably never get there) and that of usual players like us ;-) And even if someone reaches that dps - having > 400k EHP at the same time is amazing, many people just go for the dps and wonder why they can't survive on higher MP levels.

I was wondering - when you run MP8, you can't possibly 1shot mobs. Given the steep HP increase for any enemy on higher MP levels, I'd like to know how you sustain Archon. When I run Archon in a group with 1-2 demon hunters, I have a lot of downtime - even just on MP2/3, and even though they try to let me have the killing blows whenever I'm in Archon. (I'm at ~110k (unbuffed)/150k (buffed) dps currently).
    Quote from Bagstone

Well, to be honest... there's a small difference between your DPS (it's just insane and most of us will probably never get there) and that of usual players like us ;-) And even if someone reaches that dps - having > 400k EHP at the same time is amazing, many people just go for the dps and wonder why they can't survive on higher MP levels.

I was wondering - when you run MP8, you can't possibly 1shot mobs. Given the steep HP increase for any enemy on higher MP levels, I'd like to know how you sustain Archon. When I run Archon in a group with 1-2 demon hunters, I have a lot of downtime - even just on MP2/3, and even though they try to let me have the killing blows whenever I'm in Archon. (I'm at ~110k (unbuffed)/150k (buffed) dps currently).

I don't sustain Archon. The longest my Archon's been active on MP8 was 1 minute. The whole point is to make use of Arcane Destruction (1600% weapon damage). Activate Archon, beam everything while you can, spam Living Lightning, Diamond Skin, Frost Nova until Archon is up again, nuke, do your thing, repeat.

By doing that, I think anyone with decent enough EHP can use Archon at high MP levels as long as you have the crit chance to do so.
    Why not use WW with that spec? Then you're basically a CM build with Archon for the 1600% blast, though I guess that requires APoC so that's probably the main reason to use a sig spell. I've actually been tempted to try adding Archon instead of Teleport for my last CM skill, though i'm not sure the overall dps gain will be any better than Magic Weapon or Slow Time would, especially since Slow Time works for the whole group.
    I am playing a kitting build : blizzard/hydra, I would like to know if it is possible to change my build for an archon farming build ?
    I have 3 millions gold only.

My profile : http: //eu.battle.net/d3/fr/profile/Sora-2690/hero/3127034
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes