20% more damage from Scoundrel?

I played my monk most of my time in Diablo and i have always been using the scoundrel with a bow which has colddamage so that i get a slow on the mobs. Using multishot spreads out the slow like a charm.

My thought is that the slow from the scoundrel is categorized as a "chill" effect

If it is, is it then possible using the passive "Cold blooded" which gives 20% more damage to chilled targets, or do the wizard have to apply the chill itself?

Any thoughts or knowledge about this?
    I don't think the slow from the scoundrel ability is considered a chill. Slows and chills are separate, it just so happens that chilled mobs are slowed. For example, the Temporal Flux passive applies a slow affect to all arcane damage you do. That doesn't chill the mob, it just slows it.

Regarding the passive, any mob that is chilled, regardless of how it got slowed, should take 20% more damage. I'm not 100% sure but I think it even applies to damage done by other party members, and should apply to slows applied by other players or your follower, in addition to your chills.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    Quote from Loroese

I don't think the slow from the scoundrel ability is considered a chill. Slows and chills are separate, it just so happens that chilled mobs are slowed. For example, the Temporal Flux passive applies a slow affect to all arcane damage you do. That doesn't chill the mob, it just slows it.

He isn't referring to any scoundrel ability, he's talking about giving the scoundrel a bow that deals a portion of frost damage which does indeed chill anything he hits with it. So yes if stuff lives long enough for your scoundrel to land a hit on, it will interact with the cold blooded passive.
    It does work, I used it for a long time before I went Archon and gave my scoundrel a Windforce with 45%ish knockback.
    I find the Windforce useful because mobs running to me I don't mind too much, but annoying casters (moloks, occultist etc) get chain interrupted and I find this much better. He's also saved me from those exploding suicidal Maniacs countless times with it!
    Quote from Adameus

It does work, I used it for a long time before I went Archon and gave my scoundrel a Windforce with 45%ish knockback.
    I find the Windforce useful because mobs running to me I don't mind too much, but annoying casters (moloks, occultist etc) get chain interrupted and I find this much better. He's also saved me from those exploding suicidal Maniacs countless times with it!

I'll have to try that.
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    Currently using the Scoundrel with an 80% pierce Buriza. Works great!
    OFFENSIVE STATS: 126K Unbuffed DPS • 183K Buffed DPS • 2.25 APS • +24% Movement Speed
    DEFENSIVE STATS: 1.07M Unbuffed EHP • 102K Life • 2,269 Life on Hit • 674 Life per Sec • 23.5% Dodge
    Quote from Loroese

Quote from Adameus

I'll have to try that.

I vouch the Cold-Blooded bonus working with a Scoundrel equipped with a cold bow. That's what I ran with back when I had less DPS and wanted to anything I could to increase damage output. Of course, you're better at running tests than most of us here, so what you find can maybe open more eyes.

P.S. Too bad my Scoundrel will be on the bench until my MF caps out via Paragon. Good ol' Enchantress MF Buddy.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    If you give the Scoundrel an SoJ with +% Cold Damage, that should work as well correct? Then we can keep using Windforce and procing that awesome knockback.
    Quote from Nightmare13

If you give the Scoundrel an SoJ with +% Cold Damage, that should work as well correct? Then we can keep using Windforce and procing that awesome knockback.

I hadn't thought about that, but it's a neat idea for sure. Worth a test.
    Quote from Nightmare13

Yes, that should work.
    My scoundrel sports a 48% knockback WF and a legacy Tal amu with cold damage. Both CC work.
    By the way, this is bound to be a lot more efficient in 1.0.5 as now all mobs start at 0% CC reduction instead of 65% (which I think apply to KB), and snare reduction is also affected.
    The blizzard rush build
    http://us.battle.net...opic/7173257311

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Eiy4oh94g
    Yea, I picked up a Tal Rasha's Allegiance with Cold Damage (7 mill, ironically cheaper than the cheapest cold SoJ—13.5m—or the cheapest Legacy Tal Amulet with cold—10m) and the snares are just insane. Didn't actually test cold-blooded but I see no reason why that wouldn't work as well.
    It should work.
    Quote from unReality

Currently using the Scoundrel with an 80% pierce Buriza. Works great!

That's really an interesting idea! I'm gonna visit the AH and grab one and try it out next time I play. Thanks!

Also the other posts here are very useful too. I hadn't thought about using my scoundrel to chill mobs allowing me to use Cold Blooded instead of Glass Cannon
    Here's a better question:

Does the Tal's set bonus work with Cold Blooded? It should, right?
    Quote from Venaliter

I'm not really sure what you mean. The Tal set bonus only applies to skills that deal that type of damage. Cold blooded applies to any mob that is chilled or frozen, which can occur from cold skills or some effects like Scoundrel attacks with a cold bow. Just because a mob is chilled doesn't mean the tal cold set bonus applies though.

Was that what you meant? If not, can you elaborate?
    Quote from Loroese

Quote from Venaliter

I'm not really sure what you mean. The Tal set bonus only applies to skills that deal that type of damage. Cold blooded applies to any mob that is chilled or frozen, which can occur from cold skills or some effects like Scoundrel attacks with a cold bow. Just because a mob is chilled doesn't mean the tal cold set bonus applies though.

It is my understanding that the Tal 4-set bonus works EXACTLY like the Stone of Jordan bonus; adding 5-6% (In Tal's case, 3%) of weapon damage as Cold; which WOULD trigger Cold Blooded.
    Quote from Venaliter

Quote from Loroese

Quote from Venaliter

It is my understanding that the Tal 4-set bonus works EXACTLY like the Stone of Jordan bonus; adding 5-6% (In Tal's case, 3%) of weapon damage as Cold; which WOULD trigger Cold Blooded.

Only for the legacy Tal Rasha set. The most recent iteration explicitly states "Cold skills deal 3% more damage", very underwhelming esp in comparison to the other sets
    Where's the love for wiz, Blizz?
    Quote from Venaliter

Quote from Loroese

Quote from Venaliter

Only the legacy Tal Rasha's set does this. The new set has a significantly worse set bonus (unfortunately), as it improves elemental skills by 3%. So all the four piece bonus does is add 3% damage to your Ray of Frost / Comet / Frost Hydra / etc.
    Quote from shadowbane

Quote from Venaliter

Quote from Loroese

Quote from Venaliter

Only for the legacy Tal Rasha set. The most recent iteration explicitly states "Cold skills deal 3% more damage", very underwhelming esp in comparison to the other sets
    Where's the love for wiz, Blizz?

Yes indeed, you are correct. The wording is different. Best way is to invest in a Tal's with Cold Damage in order to utilized Cold Blooded as one of your passives (and, you should.)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes