Don't know what to do with my Wizard anymore!

My wizard is my main, and I'm trying to get him geared.
    I want to farm Act 3 efficiently, but I just can't, at all. I die extremely easily, and I don't even have that great DPS.

I see wizards here rolling with 150k DPS and I keep wondering, what am I doing wrong?!

So if anyone could give me some tips, look at my gearset and tell me what to upgrade or what's OK for now, etc, it would help me tremendously!

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kalastrian-2859/hero/268177
    It seems to me that you're focusing too much on DPS and not enough on survivability. You have better gear than me but I can usually hold my own with my current set up, at least on Act 3 anyway (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Undertow-1637/hero/10366571).

I would work on your resistances and try a more defensive skill build. Also, I've found life regen to be way more useful and reliable than life-on-hit since it is always working. My damage is kind of low, but with over 300% crit damage and over 40% crit chance, it's not much of an issue. A shield helps a lot too. Everytime I try switching it out, I notice myself dying more.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck!
    You might want to consider using a different spec. Archon specs usually require a lot of dps to have a high uptime in Act 3 plus you have no good way to refresh it when it does fall off and very little you can do when it's not active. Also, Force Armor will likely be much more useful than Prismatic Armor since your resists are pretty low and I'm betting your EHP is pretty low too.

There are 2 main options for you.

1) Drop Archon completely and go for a kite spec (or regear for a melee spec). I use a kite spec just fine in Act 3 with 55k dps or so. The spec is in my sig.

2) Keep Archon but either add ways to refresh it once it wears off or add other utility to it. Basically either run with the Storm Chaser rune with Critical Mass passive or drop sparkflint for Arcane Orb so you have something to do when you aren't in Archon form.

With your gear, I'd recommend option 1, but I haven't tried Archon in Act 3 yet (I might soon though).

Regarding gear, your weapon is very very low dps and should be replaced. The stats on it are nice but you can hopefully pick one up with similar stats for around a million gold but with higher dps (ideally at least 1100+ dps). I'm using a 2h with 211 Int, 157% crit, 1250 dps or so and it is about 12k dps higher than your staff for me. I recommend using a spreadsheet when looking at weapons but you should be able to find something to give you a good 6k dps or more for a reasonable price (or more if you have some extra money you want to spend). I'd try getting Life Steal also as I find it helps a lot in Act 3.

You could probably get a bit more dps from a pair of gloves with crit hit and crit damage, even if it has less Int, though finding one with vit (and life regen, if you don't want to lose that) might be a bit on the expensive side.

I'll finish up with a couple pointers for Act 3 survivability. First, EHP+Force Armor: You want to have at least 100k EHP to maximize the use of Force Armor against elites while not in Archon Form. If you keep Archon, the higher the EHP you have the easier it will be to survive but you still need some 400k EHP or so before you want to consider switching to Prismatic Armor. Second, defensive CDs: if you're dying a lot, get more. My favortie combination is Diamond Skin+Teleport-Fracture+Illusionist passive. Since I'm a kiter, teleport is essential to allowing me to get out of melee after a vortex or getting around waller elites. DS with illusionist lets me refresh teleport often while preventing me from getting killed. I find these defensive CDs to be much much more vital in Act 3 farming than a little more DPS would be (via Magic Weapon and/or Sparkflint). When you can pop Archon and kill elites before they get to you then multiple defensive CDs probably aren't needed (such as Act 1 farming with your gear).
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    If you're dying a lot, go to a shield for sure. I almost always swap out a two-hand or OH for a shield when doing a boss anyway, just so I don't get one-shotted. Resil helps, but as stated here Life Regen is the best. You can even try using an armor matched with Galvanizing Ward to increase life regen. The one thing I've found with my Wiz is that you HAVE to keep moving. Blizzard helps ALOT to keep you ahead of monsters, but 12% movement boots are a Must.

GL!
    Ok here is what's wrong with your wizard: (ofc in my opinion):
    - You are using Archon when you are not well geared. I agreed that Archon is very powerful but it is also extremely vulnerable to enemies, virtually zero defense.
    - You are using critical mass without a good Crit Chance. A suitable cc is around 40%, which is easily obtainable if you drop your 2-handed and go for 1-hand + source.
    - You are using Magic missle, which is not a skill for Critical mass. It does have proc chance but not great, plus it can only hit 1 enemy at a time!!
    - Too little survivability, yea which is obvious. 400 AR, 4k armor and 20k HP won't save you from death.
    - Basically you are messing up with builds. I can't see the link between your skills, not Critical Mass build, nor kiting build, or anything else. I think you were just using skills which give you more and more DPS. Too much DPS won't help you a lot if you die like in 2 seconds. Also drop your weapon, it's too weak to be useful. A lot of 1 handed weapon with 900+ dps and crit dmg etc. are out there for like 1-2m.
    I recommend you do a little research about Wiz inferno build first. Pick up a new build and don't play blindly like you did.
    Thank you so much for all the replies.
    I have some nice pointers going around and I'll try to build around those.

Just for clarification though, the build I have is not the build I'm using, I was just messing around.

I was using Missile+Seeker, Blizzard, Arcane Hydra, Force Armor, Magic Weapon and Teleport+Fracture.
    A lot more survival came from this spec, but I still die pretty often.
    Quote from Kalastrian

Thank you so much for all the replies.
    I have some nice pointers going around and I'll try to build around those.

Just for clarification though, the build I have is not the build I'm using, I was just messing around.

I was using Missile+Seeker, Blizzard, Arcane Hydra, Force Armor, Magic Weapon and Teleport+Fracture.
    A lot more survival came from this spec, but I still die pretty often.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. If you're dying a lot, drop magic weapon for Diamond Skin and make sure you have Illusionist passive. I find that combo really helps my survivability. I also really like life regen, if you can't tell from my gear, and find it helps a lot in that act. Also, check out a EHP calculator (I have one in my spreadsheet in my sig) and make sure you have at least 100k EHP. If you don't, you need more vit, armor, or resists to make the most use of Force Armor. You can have more than 100k, and 130k is the upper threshhold for Demon Tremors, but unless you really want to spend a lot of money, you won't need more than 130k or so with a kiting spec.

I happen to prefer Arcane Orb with temporal flux to blizzard for slowing. Arcane Orb has some really great burst, and the faster you kill stuff the less likely they are to kill you, but blizzard gets still the job done.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    i would like to echo the above statements. take a weekend to just focus on your gear and skills...research it, then read again to see what else has been done. There are 2-3 viable, quality builds out there. And of course, there are ways to play outside these builds, but i dont see much about them on any forum. Life Regen is the latest and greatest thing. People are waking up to it and its true. I have both 1400 life regen and 900 life on hit, and it helps tremendously.

For example, i am currently playing a CM wiz. I found another guy streaming his CM wiz last nite with similar stats. both around 25-28K dps and 35-40K HP. He had over 8K armor, which is fine, but wasnt helping him. I have only 5K armor, but a ton of life regen plus the standard life on hit. It wasnt cheap, i had to farm forever to find/make enough gold to get some of the gear. But its worth it. Look at my chest piece (link is below), found it on the AH for 500K gold just after patch 1.0.3. You will find deals like that all the time. I also used Loroese's EHP calculator religiously when i was building up my wiz.

Just put some time and effort into a specific build, defensive is probably the best way to go (imo) if you plan to progress thru act 4 as well.
    heavymetal#1322
    http://us.battle.net...22/hero/3153312 (wiz)
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/heavymetal-1322/hero/8654665 (monk)
    my twitch feed (just messing around, no super player or anything)
    http://www.justin.tv/heavymetalmak
    I have already completed the game before 1.0.3 (too much pain, not enough profit).
    Farming is a whole different discussion though.

The build I'm using ATM is way better, with Force Armor, Force Weapon, Diamond Skin+Teleport as defensive and Seeker+Arcane Hydra for damage.

Those 150k crits and 30k crits from my Hydra are awesome, and I'm not dying at all except to some really pesky packs.

I'll try and get my gear checked out, but having a full time job proves to not allow me upgrade my gear at all.

Thank you all so much!

EDIT:

Quote from heavymetalmak

i would like to echo the above statements. take a weekend to just focus on your gear and skills...research it, then read again to see what else has been done. There are 2-3 viable, quality builds out there. And of course, there are ways to play outside these builds, but i dont see much about them on any forum. Life Regen is the latest and greatest thing. People are waking up to it and its true. I have both 1400 life regen and 900 life on hit, and it helps tremendously.

For example, i am currently playing a CM wiz. I found another guy streaming his CM wiz last nite with similar stats. both around 25-28K dps and 35-40K HP. He had over 8K armor, which is fine, but wasnt helping him. I have only 5K armor, but a ton of life regen plus the standard life on hit. It wasnt cheap, i had to farm forever to find/make enough gold to get some of the gear. But its worth it. Look at my chest piece (link is below), found it on the AH for 500K gold just after patch 1.0.3. You will find deals like that all the time. I also used Loroese's EHP calculator religiously when i was building up my wiz.

Just put some time and effort into a specific build, defensive is probably the best way to go (imo) if you plan to progress thru act 4 as well.

DAMN, that chest piece man.

On EU AH, I never get any deals, ANY DEALS, everything is so insanely overpriced. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but god damn it, people are insane with prices atm.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes