Melee Wizard Inferno [Diablo 3 / Brief Guide]

Instead of Time Warp, I run with Teleport with the damage reduction rune. The mobility it gives you combined with the cool down reduction makes it impossible for elite packs to pin you down.

Waller with any ground effect affix is child's play. Vortex with Arcane enchanted, ha.

I highly recommend trying it out if you haven't the freedom it gives you is amazing.
    On everyone's suggestion, I tried Wicked Wind and Arcane Dynamo, and I have to say.. I love it. I'll be playing around with these two abilities for a while.

The only downside of Wicked wind is the complete lack of damage compared to meteor, but the fact that it is instant makes a huge difference.

Arcane Dynamo. Amazing. basically 2 spectral blade hits and my wave of force is critting for over 200k.

Thanks!
    Quote from SolusCoda

Quote from Wynn3r

Each hit with deep cuts has a 80% coefficient on life per hit per cast. So that is around about 30% per blade.

It should be noted that the reason deep cuts is chosen over other blade runes is found here : http://us.battle.net...opic/5149154265

Deep cuts has 88% while the other runes have 66% LoH (and also critical mass) coefficient.

Basically what I said.
    Quote from SolusCoda

On everyone's suggestion, I tried Wicked Wind and Arcane Dynamo, and I have to say.. I love it. I'll be playing around with these two abilities for a while.

The only downside of Wicked wind is the complete lack of damage compared to meteor, but the fact that it is instant makes a huge difference.

Arcane Dynamo. Amazing. basically 2 spectral blade hits and my wave of force is critting for over 200k.

Thanks!

I now use WW and EB combination it is a lot stronger for further acts. I will be releasing a video within the next week showing different viable builds.
    Quote from Wynn3r

Quote from SolusCoda

Quote from Wynn3r

Each hit with deep cuts has a 80% coefficient on life per hit per cast. So that is around about 30% per blade.

It should be noted that the reason deep cuts is chosen over other blade runes is found here : http://us.battle.net...opic/5149154265

Deep cuts has 88% while the other runes have 66% LoH (and also critical mass) coefficient.

Basically what I said.

Not trying to usurp your thread, but you didn't mention comparative / relative spectral blade values, which is why I chimed in. No need to be offended by additional information.
    nice one man
    got some issues i'd like some tips on for when i run solo
    first off, i'll say that i'm having great success with tanking in groups. i had a couple 80k dps DHs behind me and i was tanking pretty much everything with ease. for normal monsters it was pretty much permafrost in frost novas, packs sometimes got out of control but i hardly ever died.
    here's the spec i'm running with. i feel set on all abilities except explosive blast and prodigy; i believe those could be replaced with something better...

deep cuts, wicked wind
    frost nova (shatter), crystal skin
    explosive blast (chain reaction), prismatic armor
    blur, prodigy, CM

buffed (prismatic armor) stats:
    40k hp
    6147 armor (67.2%)
    avg 700 resist all (~70%)
    10k dps
    24% crit
    1.48 attacks per second
    7 ap on crit
    991 life per second
    933 life on hit

i used to roll around with illusionist venom hydra/blizzard spec so it's nice to straight up slap some packs in the face. yet there's some that farm me hard. i'm not sure how you guys say you get through act 2 and 3 with ease, it seems every 3rd or 4th pack i'm having some serious issues with while solo. there are a plethora of pack combinations that can do this, but what it boils down to is i'm immobilised and sitting on damage. be that i'm surrounded by illusions and they're dropping arcane sentries or they're invulnerable minions and i'm standing on molten, plagued ground, or they've feared me into a corner and are dropping frost bombs while i sit on 3 stacks of desecration.
    happily enough this was never an issue when i had dps backing me up, but i simply can't last long enough without something going wrong when i'm solo. tips? is someone gonna say take teleport and unstable anomaly?..
    Quote from SolusCoda

Fantastic to see more tank wizards. Nice video OP! Also, great explanation Eyeless, you really covered all the bases.

You are right in that I prefer forceful wave. This has a lot to do with having a higher damage and crit rate from gear, as the crits you get from 260% can be rather massive and when chained, you can absolutely decimate packs. It also gives a much larger range than EB so it allows for easy dodging of arcane / desecration / firechains.

I've done alot of upgrading since I last posted, and this build gets exponentially better. I am capable of destroying hard combo packs alone in a 4 man group before the enrage in Act 2. (did some testing in public games while everyone else was dead or piddling around in town)

With the following stats, there is no elite combo in the game that cannot be tanked (though act 4 oppressors still destroy me if i dont kite due to their fire breath)

I'm currently self-buffed at:

25k damage
    35k HP
    1.1 to 1.3k res depending on res
    9k armor
    20% block with 4700 block
    42% crit
    250% crit dmg
    10 arcane on crit
    600 LoH

The goal is now to continue to up my damage while not losing the defense, as I don't really need more EHP. Also, more arcane on crit would be godly.

I haven't tried AD yet, and since you all seem to boast about it so much, I will definitely give it a shot instead of evocation.

Solus, I'm curious how you prioritize stats when you look for gear upgrades. How important is int to you? Does your damage pretty much all come from your crit, or is int a large factor?
    Hey nice vid
    +1
    Heyo everyone,

Well I'm really glad to see this topic, because I tried this type of build at release before guides existed. Needless to say it worked up until nightmare, then I ran into issues. I really would like to try this, but my wiz is at about lvl 44. So basically what I'm asking is what's a good build to go with to get me to 60 as a melee wiz? Or should I not do melee wiz, until 60? Any info would be appreciated.
    Quote from sandoggg

first off, i'll say that i'm having great success with tanking in groups. i had a couple 80k dps DHs behind me and i was tanking pretty much everything with ease. for normal monsters it was pretty much permafrost in frost novas, packs sometimes got out of control but i hardly ever died.
    here's the spec i'm running with. i feel set on all abilities except explosive blast and prodigy; i believe those could be replaced with something better...

deep cuts, wicked wind
    blur, prodigy, CM

40k hp
    6147 armor (67.2%)
    10k dps
    24% crit
    1.48 attacks per second
    7 ap on crit
    991 life per second
    933 life on hit

i used to roll around with illusionist venom hydra/blizzard spec so it's nice to straight up slap some packs in the face. yet there's some that farm me hard. i'm not sure how you guys say you get through act 2 and 3 with ease, it seems every 3rd or 4th pack i'm having some serious issues with while solo. there are a plethora of pack combinations that can do this, but what it boils down to is i'm immobilised and sitting on damage. be that i'm surrounded by illusions and they're dropping arcane sentries or they're invulnerable minions and i'm standing on molten, plagued ground, or they've feared me into a corner and are dropping frost bombs while i sit on 3 stacks of desecration.
    happily enough this was never an issue when i had dps backing me up, but i simply can't last long enough without something going wrong when i'm solo. tips? is someone gonna say take teleport and unstable anomaly?..

exactly my problems... act1 and 2 are just fine to tank, but act3 with all that ranged mobs (see moloks and herald) i just die and die and die, same with elite packs
    Quote from Silvist

Heyo everyone,

Well I'm really glad to see this topic, because I tried this type of build at release before guides existed. Needless to say it worked up until nightmare, then I ran into issues. I really would like to try this, but my wiz is at about lvl 44. So basically what I'm asking is what's a good build to go with to get me to 60 as a melee wiz? Or should I not do melee wiz, until 60? Any info would be appreciated.

I feel like saying you 'tried this type of build at release' is stretching it. by that i figure you mean you used spectral blade throughout normal. maybe you threw blur in the mess as well. i'd advise getting to 60 being a regular old wizard, the gearing is so particular that it just doesn't make sense to spend money on it until you reach endgame.
    a key point of this build is critical mass, which you don't even have yet (level 50). start collecting gear for when you DO hit 60, but don't try before then.
    Quote from smorbage

Solus, I'm curious how you prioritize stats when you look for gear upgrades. How important is int to you? Does your damage pretty much all come from your crit, or is int a large factor?

Crit is very important. I will run down my stat priority list for you:

1. All Res - Fairly obvious. I have all res on every item I own except for my chest armor (which has high stats and reduced dmg from elites instead)
    2. Armor - An undervalued and cheaper stat that people do not seem to realize is just as good as all resistance. Approx. 10 armor = 1 all res. Also, Armor gets even better in higher quantities, since our shield buffs it by 65% as opposed to the 40% for res. Don't forget that STR = Armor. For example, I bought my belt because it had high int / high str / high all res / life %. STR is useful. 10 str = 1 all res.
    3. Crit on items that can have it - Crit is amazing and necessary for this build.
    4. Crit damage - The more crit you have, the more important this is. Having a weapon with a socket, and preferably some built in crit damage is extremely powerful if your crit is high. I have crit damage on all possible items except for my amulet.
    5. Vitality / Life % / Int - I try to get as high of vit and int as I can without sacrificing the above stats. Once you have high crit and crit damage, Int adds damage exponentially (around 50 int nets me around 1k to 1.5k dps)

For damage purposes, Crit, crit damage, and int are the reasons I am at 25k (thats 25 without magic weapon or any of those self buffs) I know its hard in this inflated economy, but there are still deals out there. Try to find items with over 100 int/vit that have all res and armor on them. I managed to find every item I own for less than 5m, and most were less than 2m. Though, looking at the prices today compared to when I bought my stuff, what was once 2m is now 20m... I suspect that will lessen now with the increased drop rates though.

It should be noted that attack speed would be nice, but items with attack speed / crit / crit damage / all res are just too rich for me, so I don't use any attack speed.

While I was gearing up, I focused on getting my vit / res / and armor to the appropriate level, and I had 15k dps. I then hunted for a long time for substitutes with higher int to get me to where I am now.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Quote from sandoggg

deep cuts, wicked wind
    blur, prodigy, CM

40k hp
    6147 armor (67.2%)
    10k dps
    24% crit
    1.48 attacks per second
    7 ap on crit
    991 life per second
    933 life on hit

Just from looking at your stats, I would have to say by getting more crit and armor, you could significantly increase your survivability. Your armor seems quite low. Contrary to popular belief, a mix of all res and armor is far more potent than purely all res (and armor is cheaper on the AH). And more crit will allow you to keep your diamond skin up more often. Your other life per second and life on hit stats are quite impressive, far more than mine.
    Quote from SolusCoda

Quote from smorbage

1. All Res - Fairly obvious. I have all res on every item I own except for my chest armor (which has high stats and reduced dmg from elites instead)
    2. Armor - An undervalued and cheaper stat that people do not seem to realize is just as good as all resistance. Approx. 10 armor = 1 all res. Also, Armor gets even better in higher quantities, since our shield buffs it by 65% as opposed to the 40% for res. Don't forget that STR = Armor. For example, I bought my belt because it had high int / high str / high all res / life %. STR is useful. 10 str = 1 all res.
    3. Crit on items that can have it - Crit is amazing and necessary for this build.
    4. Crit damage - The more crit you have, the more important this is. Having a weapon with a socket, and preferably some built in crit damage is extremely powerful if your crit is high. I have crit damage on all possible items except for my amulet.
    5. Vitality / Life % / Int - I try to get as high of vit and int as I can without sacrificing the above stats. Once you have high crit and crit damage, Int adds damage exponentially (around 50 int nets me around 1k to 1.5k dps)

For damage purposes, Crit, crit damage, and int are the reasons I am at 25k (thats 25 without magic weapon or any of those self buffs) I know its hard in this inflated economy, but there are still deals out there. Try to find items with over 100 int/vit that have all res and armor on them. I managed to find every item I own for less than 5m, and most were less than 2m. Though, looking at the prices today compared to when I bought my stuff, what was once 2m is now 20m... I suspect that will lessen now with the increased drop rates though.

It should be noted that attack speed would be nice, but items with attack speed / crit / crit damage / all res are just too rich for me, so I don't use any attack speed.

While I was gearing up, I focused on getting my vit / res / and armor to the appropriate level, and I had 15k dps. I then hunted for a long time for substitutes with higher int to get me to where I am now.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the detailed response! I've been using a very similar stat priority list since adopting the melee wizard build. As you mentioned, the difficult part is obtaining suitable gear with these inflated prices. I guess I will just keep farming and wait it out for now.
    Just facetanked Ghom in gas, FYI it is very possible to do so with mediocre gear levels (my entire character is worth like $12 / 1 mil or less). 900-1000 resists, 6.5k armor (enchantress eats dirt the whole time), 24% crit, 18 AP on crit, and like 8k dps. Takes a little while, can speed up by mixing in venom hydra and time warp instead of nova and teleport.
    Quote from SolusCoda

Quote from smorbage

Hope that helps a bit.

This is wrong. Stat priority for melee wiz is as follows:

1) AP on Crit - at least 15 from weapon and helm; basically weapon must be a wand, otherwise you need to outgear content and use a source.

2) Life per hit - at least 800 to start, less is tolerable at higher gear levels, more is safer as long as you have the durability. Note that you basically have to get this on a weapon as other slots (jewelry) can't really roll with a lot. This means that you need a weapon with AP on Crit, Life per Hit and decent DPS (mine is 590, lol); anything else is high roller / good luck; search AH for these two stats and view downward from top DPS.

3) Crit - important as it is only available on a few slots: gloves (a lot), helm (not a lot; I think 5% may be max on wizard hats or something), weapon (above stats more important), shield (same as gloves, a lot), and jewelry. Gloves with both IAS and crit are going to be expensive, so your practical solution is to get crit from gloves for this spec (not IAS). 20 is a good start, 30 is plenty.

4) All Resist and Armor - almost equally important to crit, and irreversibly linked together. You need a lot of AR and armor so every single piece should have 50% AR (affordable) and +armor as possible. At low budgets, this means that you will search for int / AR / crit (where possible) for each armor slot, sort downward by ARMOR RATING, and then look for other stats like vit and sort to increase/decrease Int and AR. You will want at least 800 AR and 6k armor after buffs to start; can stop resists at 1k but never stop focus on armor as it is more difficult to max (try to get the +bonus on each armor slot if you can; remember that a friendly barb boosts resists but not armor because enchantress gives more solo).

5) Intelligence and Vitality - still important, but everything else comes before. I group these together as you will generally want both on armor (affordable along with AR); also on the gloves, helm and shield (your crit gear). The benefit of vitality is obvious; intelligence is more of a luxury but it's fairly affordable to search auctions for it because most wizzies are still buying up glass cannon gear; can get 140+ int pieces with armor, resists and vitality for good prices.

6) Critical Damage Bonus - this is actually the best way to increase DPS, but it is also a luxury stat that should only be picked up when possible. You have to develop your tank first; trust me 8k DPS is enough to clear extra health elites, and your actual DPS is much higher anyway due to the ability to spam.

7) IAS / damage / life % / skill bonuses / movement speed / MF / GF / other expensive shit - only as they do not interfere with the top 4 priorities. Exception is movement speed on boots; this is fairly cheap most of the time (look for boots with movement, AR and int/vit).

In summary, items you should try to procure in order to "unlock" this playstyle:

a) 700+ LoH / 8+ AP on crit / 550+ DPS wand with +crit damage if possible

b ) 7+ AP on crit / 50+ AR / int / vit helm with +armor and +crit if possible

c) 6%+ crit / 50+ AR / int / vit shield with +armor if possible

d) 7%+ crit / 50+ AR / int / vit gloves with +armor if possible

e) 150+ LoH rings and amulet with either crit or attack speed (preference on crit), AR, +armor and +crit damage if possible

f) 50+ AR / +armor / int / vit on all "vanilla" slots that cannot contain DPS stats

All of this gear should be purchasable for 1-2M and a few dollars here and there; just have to get lucky with the moderate DPS LoH / AP on crit wand as there's not very many in circulation (I guess because people automatically vendor anything with <700 DPS?).
    i am currently building a tank wizard as well (not melee wizard as i tried blade and not what i like using) my stats are

44k hp
    20k dps unbuffed
    8.3k armor and 1.1k resist with prismatic
    37% block

now like most I just need to push dps wo sacrificing defense and i ll be golden

act3/4 only elites can be problematic with the wrong affix and group play i am tankier than a few barbs.
    Quote from Maxyim

You are right. Very excellent post with great detail.

I was answering his question of what my priority is when shopping for upgrades, and wasn't looking at it from a holistic melee approach.
    Quote from Maxyim

Maxyim, I'm curious as to exactly which build you are using with this setup?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes