Melee Wizard Inferno [Diablo 3 / Brief Guide]

Link ;

A video of my Wizard in Inferno including;

- Different Acts
    - Bosses
    - A brief guide on playing this build
    - How I tackle different encounters throughout the game and just a general look at the melee wizard.

I am trying out different programs for recording and also editing. My audio does need improved and I will work on this for my future and upcoming videos.

I will be releasing more videos within the next couple of days including;

- My Build, Gear & Stats
    - Elite Packs
    - Individual Boss Encounters and In-Depth Tactics

I am open to any suggestions questions and feedback on the video.

Enjoy & Cheers!

Wynn3r
    I have to bite on this, I'm betting you are someone running around in a stupidly overpriced set of gear and this play style is well beyond anything I will probably obtain, but I am still very curious to see your gear and build.

Please do post again.
    Quote from Wurmz

I have to bite on this, I'm betting you are someone running around in a stupidly overpriced set of gear and this play style is well beyond anything I will probably obtain, but I am still very curious to see your gear and build.

Please do post again.

Hello Wurmz,

In the clips I am pretty under geared with around about;
    - 700 All Resists
    - 16k Damage
    - 700 Life on Hit -700 Life Regen

This pretty much took me upto Act4.
    I will be releasing another video providing all this information tommorow, please keep tuned!

Wynn3r
    Since I am running a similar playstyle (well, same playstyle, abilities may vary a little), I will say this...

I'm at 14k DPS, 53.4k armor, 7100 Armor with Enchantress and Energy Armor, 874 all resist (minimum, Arcane is like 1100) with Prismatic Armor, about 800 LoH, and only 310 Regen. The build works well. I am just trying to get some more crit now, to both bring up my DPS, and let me switch from Evocation to Critical Mass. My only DPS issue so far in Act 2 is Goblins. I can't kill em. Period.

The downside is, the gear I need now to make much of any upgrade in DPS and not sacrifice much of my EHP, is expensive (EHP is like 669,000, as per the Wizard Spreadsheet in our forum).

At this point in time, the most I spent on 1 piece of gear was 1.9mil on one ring, and I think I spent like $6 on an Amulet (money I made selling other stuff). Might be closing in on maybe 8mil/$12 invested into my wizard.
    Well, I went for it. I'm up to:

600ish All resist /w Armor
    7k armor w/ Enchantress
    700 LoH
    23k Health

The beginning of Act 1 is pretty easy so far, with the enchantress, I have very little problems, but without her in a group game I have to be more careful.

So far, it's crazy fun, however I like tanky play styles a lot.

Really fun, highly recommend this as a try. I have been toying with other right click options, but have fallen back on the meteor for now.
    Quote from ZeroEdgeir

Since I am running a similar playstyle (well, same playstyle, abilities may vary a little), I will say this...

I'm at 14k DPS, 53.4k armor, 7100 Armor with Enchantress and Energy Armor, 874 all resist (minimum, Arcane is like 1100) with Prismatic Armor, about 800 LoH, and only 310 Regen. The build works well. I am just trying to get some more crit now, to both bring up my DPS, and let me switch from Evocation to Critical Mass. My only DPS issue so far in Act 2 is Goblins. I can't kill em. Period.

The downside is, the gear I need now to make much of any upgrade in DPS and not sacrifice much of my EHP, is expensive (EHP is like 669,000, as per the Wizard Spreadsheet in our forum).

At this point in time, the most I spent on 1 piece of gear was 1.9mil on one ring, and I think I spent like $6 on an Amulet (money I made selling other stuff). Might be closing in on maybe 8mil/$12 invested into my wizard.

Yeah it is an interesting play style. Yeah I had to slow increase my crit I have always ran critical mass though. Id have to agree there without a group your DPS is rather low! Yeah the gear has rocketed in price but I can say that if your prepared to watch the AH you can kit yourself up for no more than 2mil. I think the most I have ever spent is around about 900k on a weapon. Yeah it can be expensive depending on what deals you get! I will be releasing my gear\stats video tonight feel free to take a look at what I had while I did act 1 - end of 3.

Quote from Wurmz

Well, I went for it. I'm up to:

600ish All resist /w Armor
    7k armor w/ Enchantress
    700 LoH
    23k Health

The beginning of Act 1 is pretty easy so far, with the enchantress, I have very little problems, but without her in a group game I have to be more careful.

So far, it's crazy fun, however I like tanky play styles a lot.

Really fun, highly recommend this as a try. I have been toying with other right click options, but have fallen back on the meteor for now.

I'm glad you tried it man! I appreciated it more in the further acts when you can face tank pretty much everything! But agreed its something completely different - A tanking wizard I mean come on it looks pretty impressive!

Wynn3r
    Hello this is my gear & stats follow up video

Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL0y9MITKbA&feature=youtu.be
    This video provides you with the information on my Build, Spec, Gear and stats.
    Keep an eye out for my upcoming videos!

I am open to any suggestions questions and feedback on the video.

Enjoy & Cheers!

Wynn3r
    Wynn3r,

I like your video guide. It shows people that wizards can be really tanky. However, I'm still waiting for someone to make a guide on the flexibility of this build. There are several threads on these forums and other fansites/blizzard's site on this build, but no one has really showcased more than 1-2 viable derivations of this build.

Not to hyjack your thread here but I'm going to post a few builds I think you should check out.

- http://us.battle.net...YXOh!agT!aZYacc - Solo or Group build. My current favorite build for solo and groups. Provided you have a high melee up-time, this gives amazing damage potential. It also has very high burst damage when you're forced to kite anti-melee elites. You could also try out Force Push instead of Explosive Blast (Forceful Wave Rune - 260% damage, less knockback). I didn't like it as much, but SolusCoda on these forums swears by it.

- http://us.battle.net...YXOg!agT!aZcacZ - Group build. This gives anything you can freeze inside of Slow Time +35% damage taken. Not the best against more mobile/ranged elites, but my friends report a huge damage output increase when I run this build.

- http://us.battle.net...YXOg!age!accacZ - Group build. I gave this build a shot while playing with 3 ranged. Much like the build above, this increases the group's damage potential but takes away from your own. I personally prefer Arcane Dynamo over Conflagration, but I think that's because Meteor with Star Impact rune does arcane damage instead of fire damage. I guess it depends on personal preference and how much damage you have.

- http://us.battle.net...YXOR!agT!accacb - Solo build. I tried this out for a bit before going back to Meteor. Wasn't bad, but I didn't like not having an AP dump. There were occasions when I had very large AOE opportunities and I was able to exhaust my AP, but it didn't feel like it was any faster / better than meteor.

- http://us.battle.net...YXOR!agb!aZZacb - Solo build. This build is for those who aren't quite as geared and want to try Melee Wizard out. I would recommend at least 15-20% crit for this build to be viable. As you get better gear you can start playing around with different rune variants, other skills entirely, and most importantly a better passive than Evocation!

My stats:

~750 all res
    ~7.4k armor (with enchantress)
    ~38k hp
    ~29% crit
    ~130% crit damage
    ~8AP on crit (This is absolutely ESSENTIAL. The more the better.)

Lastly I'd like to add you could potentially change any of these builds with Meteor to Energy Twister with Wicked Wind rune. I tried twister while soloing and wasn't impressed. Meteor's initial impact can almost 1 shot some enemies while soloing. I'm sure it would be more effective in a group setting, but I have yet to try it.
    Quote from Eyeless

Wynn3r,

I like your video guide. It shows people that wizards can be really tanky. However, I'm still waiting for someone to make a guide on the flexibility of this build. There are several threads on these forums and other fansites/blizzard's site on this build, but no one has really showcased more than 1-2 viable derivations of this build.

Not to hyjack your thread here but I'm going to post a few builds I think you should check out.

- http://us.battle.net...YXOh!agT!aZYacc - Solo or Group build. My current favorite build for solo and groups. Provided you have a high melee up-time, this gives amazing damage potential. It also has very high burst damage when you're forced to kite anti-melee elites. You could also try out Force Push instead of Explosive Blast (Forceful Wave Rune - 260% damage, less knockback). I didn't like it as much, but SolusCoda on these forums swears by it.

- http://us.battle.net...YXOg!agT!aZcacZ - Group build. This gives anything you can freeze inside of Slow Time +35% damage taken. Not the best against more mobile/ranged elites, but my friends report a huge damage output increase when I run this build.

- http://us.battle.net...YXOg!age!accacZ - Group build. I gave this build a shot while playing with 3 ranged. Much like the build above, this increases the group's damage potential but takes away from your own. I personally prefer Arcane Dynamo over Conflagration, but I think that's because Meteor with Star Impact rune does arcane damage instead of fire damage. I guess it depends on personal preference and how much damage you have.

- http://us.battle.net...YXOR!agT!accacb - Solo build. I tried this out for a bit before going back to Meteor. Wasn't bad, but I didn't like not having an AP dump. There were occasions when I had very large AOE opportunities and I was able to exhaust my AP, but it didn't feel like it was any faster / better than meteor.

- http://us.battle.net...YXOR!agb!aZZacb - Solo build. This build is for those who aren't quite as geared and want to try Melee Wizard out. I would recommend at least 15-20% crit for this build to be viable. As you get better gear you can start playing around with different rune variants, other skills entirely, and most importantly a better passive than Evocation!

My stats:

~750 all res
    ~7.4k armor (with enchantress)
    ~38k hp
    ~29% crit
    ~130% crit damage
    ~8AP on crit (This is absolutely ESSENTIAL. The more the better.)

Lastly I'd like to add you could potentially change any of these builds with Meteor to Energy Twister with Wicked Wind rune. I tried twister while soloing and wasn't impressed. Meteor's initial impact can almost 1 shot some enemies while soloing. I'm sure it would be more effective in a group setting, but I have yet to try it.

Eyeless,

Firstly I would like to thank you for the feedback its greatly appreciated.
    I would have to agree with you there I have researched the whole 'wizard melee build' extensively and there are many different ways.
    I have always wanted to start releasing my own videos on YouTube and build up a small fan base.
    This is one of the many different specs that I thought people would be interested to see and was purely to see if I could get a response.
    It appears that there is a lot of interest in this topic and therefore I will be releasing more videos that convey viable builds throughout the Inferno mode of the game.
    I have already tried some of these builds out but will further research the posts you linked. I will work on a showcase like video that displays the different
    builds I have found viable throughout inferno as this seems like a great opportunity to open more doors.

Funny that you should say about the Meteor and Energy Twister as I was playing this spec last night. I definitely have to agree with you and I already like it a lot more
    than the build I used in the video.

Any more questions, feedback or ideas are appreciated.

Wynn3r
    I am also a melee wizard. Since the patch, Energy Twister with WW rune is the way to go, along with AP on hit + explosive blast (-AP rune if you have weak gear, short fuse rune otherwise). It is also very viable to use Diamond Shards instead of Crystal Shell, and the mist nova instead of freeze nova once you stop needing the survivability aspect.

I am currently progressing in Act 3 Inferno with the following stats:

10557 dps
    24,951 life
    1028 LPH
    10 AP on crit
    93 AP
    12% movement speed
    1.53 attacks per second
    16.5% crit (using crit nova to shore this up...was running act 1 and 2 with 14k life LOL and had to make some emergency gear swaps for belial and act 3)
    6665 armor (before sorc buff)
    69% DR
    resists in low-mid 800s

Please let me know if you have any questions.

By the way, everyone, particularly melee wizards, should be aware that Cold Blooded currently affects all sources of damage.

Quote from Wurmz

Please do post again.

Ohhh, you are a bright one, are you not? Beaten Nightmare yet?
    Quote from Maxyim

I'm not sure where this came from or who might have pissed in your cereal, but in no way did I attack the OP in any way. I simply stated that before seeing his gear he was probably one of the many people making videos with absurdely powerful and expensive gear that is far out of reach of the average player right now.

I have been playing and enjoying this build for a couple days now, it only cost me about an extra 500k worth of upgrades to add to what I already had to get going.

On a side note, Meteor and Critical Mass is what makes this build, you can basically chain diamond skin.
    Fantastic to see more tank wizards. Nice video OP! Also, great explanation Eyeless, you really covered all the bases.

You are right in that I prefer forceful wave. This has a lot to do with having a higher damage and crit rate from gear, as the crits you get from 260% can be rather massive and when chained, you can absolutely decimate packs. It also gives a much larger range than EB so it allows for easy dodging of arcane / desecration / firechains.

I've done alot of upgrading since I last posted, and this build gets exponentially better. I am capable of destroying hard combo packs alone in a 4 man group before the enrage in Act 2. (did some testing in public games while everyone else was dead or piddling around in town)

With the following stats, there is no elite combo in the game that cannot be tanked (though act 4 oppressors still destroy me if i dont kite due to their fire breath)

I'm currently self-buffed at:

25k damage
    35k HP
    1.1 to 1.3k res depending on res
    9k armor
    20% block with 4700 block
    42% crit
    250% crit dmg
    10 arcane on crit
    600 LoH

The goal is now to continue to up my damage while not losing the defense, as I don't really need more EHP. Also, more arcane on crit would be godly.

I haven't tried AD yet, and since you all seem to boast about it so much, I will definitely give it a shot instead of evocation.
    Quote from SolusCoda

Fantastic to see more tank wizards. Nice video OP! Also, great explanation Eyeless, you really covered all the bases.

You are right in that I prefer forceful wave. This has a lot to do with having a higher damage and crit rate from gear, as the crits you get from 260% can be rather massive and when chained, you can absolutely decimate packs. It also gives a much larger range than EB so it allows for easy dodging of arcane / desecration / firechains.

I've done alot of upgrading since I last posted, and this build gets exponentially better. I am capable of destroying hard combo packs alone in a 4 man group before the enrage in Act 2. (did some testing in public games while everyone else was dead or piddling around in town)

With the following stats, there is no elite combo in the game that cannot be tanked (though act 4 oppressors still destroy me if i dont kite due to their fire breath)

25k damage
    35k HP
    9k armor
    42% crit
    250% crit dmg
    10 arcane on crit
    600 LoH

The goal is now to continue to up my damage while not losing the defense, as I don't really need more EHP. Also, more arcane on crit would be godly.

I haven't tried AD yet, and since you all seem to boast about it so much, I will definitely give it a shot instead of evocation.

You actually need to get more arcane on crit and life on hit; your damage is fine (your actual DPS with this spec is far more than 25k as you already know). Your stats in general look rather bought as they are so high (except the two I mentioned); my own damage is 10k with 25k life, 16% crit and 800 resists and I am progressing through Act 3 nicely.

Not sure why you are talking about Forceful Wave as the last thing you want to do with a critical mass / LoH build is to push stuff away from you.

Quote from Wurmz

Quote from Maxyim

I'm not sure where this came from or who might have pissed in your cereal, but in no way did I attack the OP in any way. I simply stated that before seeing his gear he was probably one of the many people making videos with absurdely powerful and expensive gear that is far out of reach of the average player right now.

I have been playing and enjoying this build for a couple days now, it only cost me about an extra 500k worth of upgrades to add to what I already had to get going.

On a side note, Meteor and Critical Mass is what makes this build, you can basically chain diamond skin.

My apologies, I misread your post. If you review mine carefully, you will see that I am specifically saying that WW / EB are superior in this patch; you should check them out. And yes, I am very well-aware of what makes the build work as I have been playing it for the past 3 weeks.
    i want to ask at any fellow mage a question, first i post my stats(with enchantress):

hp: 23594
    dps: 15229
    armor 6550
    loh: 828
    crit chance: 39.50
    crit dmg: 110%
    all res: between 944-888
    phis res: 1083
    arcane on crit: 10

i use this build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WVXYRO!aXg!aYaYbc

i can tank any elite and any boss act1 and 2, i can tank just fine the siegebreaker act3(never died once) but i die a lot on normal mobs and elites act3.... (especially herald of pestilence and moloks)

what i do wrong? i need to upgrade a lot more to do a swift act3?

thanks for the advices!
    Quote from Maxyim

My apologies, I misread your post. If you review mine carefully, you will see that I am specifically saying that WW / EB are superior in this patch; you should check them out. And yes, I am very well-aware of what makes the build work as I have been playing it for the past 3 weeks.

No worries, and that was more for random people reading the thread, no one has specifically pointed out that the goal here is to chain diamond skin to have high survivability, so i pointed it out.
    Quote from Maxyim

I am also a melee wizard. Since the patch, Energy Twister with WW rune is the way to go, along with AP on hit + explosive blast (-AP rune if you have weak gear, short fuse rune otherwise). It is also very viable to use Diamond Shards instead of Crystal Shell, and the mist nova instead of freeze nova once you stop needing the survivability aspect.

I would have to agree with you here. I have also been playing this build for around about 3 weeks now. I have also tried many other different viable builds. I have found that WW & EB are a very strong combination as far as LOH is concerned.

Quote from SolusCoda

25k damage
    35k HP
    9k armor
    42% crit
    250% crit dmg
    10 arcane on crit
    600 LoH

Thank you very much for the kind feedback! I find at the moment that WW + EB is a very strong combination you should give that a go. Yeah act 4 is a whole different game there is a lot more kiting involved and moving rather than Face Tanking every mob you come across.

i want to ask at any fellow mage a question, first i post my stats(with enchantress):

hp: 23594
    dps: 15229
    armor 6550
    loh: 828
    crit chance: 39.50
    crit dmg: 110%
    all res: between 944-888
    phis res: 1083
    arcane on crit: 10

i use this build: http://us.battle.net...XYRO!aXg!aYaYbc

i can tank any elite and any boss act1 and 2, i can tank just fine the siegebreaker act3(never died once) but i die a lot on normal mobs and elites act3.... (especially herald of pestilence and moloks)

what i do wrong? i need to upgrade a lot more to do a swift act3?

thanks for the advices!

Maybe try this build - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WVXYhO!acg!aYaYcc

It seems to be the most effective at the moment. I will be covering this in my next video.
    Your stats should be okay to progress through Act 3 pretty easy.

Quote from Wurmz

Quote from Maxyim

No worries, and that was more for random people reading the thread, no one has specifically pointed out that the goal here is to chain diamond skin to have high survivability, so i pointed it out.

Yeah diamond skin when you have more crit hit chance will be up almost all the time. That is how the survivability works along with your LOH.
    Quote from Maxyim

You actually need to get more arcane on crit and life on hit; your damage is fine (your actual DPS with this spec is far more than 25k as you already know). Your stats in general look rather bought as they are so high (except the two I mentioned); my own damage is 10k with 25k life, 16% crit and 800 resists and I am progressing through Act 3 nicely.

Not sure why you are talking about Forceful Wave as the last thing you want to do with a critical mass / LoH build is to push stuff away from you.

First off, I have not spent any real money on my stuff that I did not obtain from selling items. I just bargain hunt and buy low and sell high to get my gear. It has taken a lot of work (I have over 1500 auctions in my log).

Secondly, your point about forceful wave would be true, except that the 260% dmg rune reduces knockback to a negligible amount. Monsters barely get knocked back at all. Also, with Bone chill (15% extra damage while frozen) you can inflict 300% weapon damage (260*1.15) with basic timing. The same thing is not as easily accomplished with Explosive blast.

Edit : I should also add that with a high enough crit rate (42% for me) you can use Force Wave every few seconds, dealing far more damage than explosive blast, which has a cap on it's damage per second due to the timed delivery.

I agree with wanting more arcane on crit, which would come with a wand, but a wand upgrade from my 870 DPS Socket + 360 LoH + 50 built in crit damage is insanely expensive, so I'll be waiting for that until I find the perfect one.

I have plenty of LoH considering I am rarely hit outside of diamond skin, giving me plenty of time to get back to full with 600. To be honest, I could probably be fine with less LoH, though I wouldn't recommend that to anyone without a ton of armor and resists.
    Do Deep Cuts proc LoH? or is that just the best damage for the ability?
    Each hit with deep cuts has a 80% coefficient on life per hit per cast. So that is around about 30% per blade.
    Quote from Wynn3r

Each hit with deep cuts has a 80% coefficient on life per hit per cast. So that is around about 30% per blade.

It should be noted that the reason deep cuts is chosen over other blade runes is found here : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149154265

Deep cuts has 88% while the other runes have 66% LoH (and also critical mass) coefficient.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes