gear progression - what to improve ?

I'm really enjoying my wizard - but lately I've seem to have hit a wall, I can't improve my stats significantly any longer and that's bugging me.

I've seen some wizard running around with stats about 20% better than mine and don't really know how to achieve that.

Here are my stats & skills:

it seems the equip I've got is quite good overall, but I fear there are some slots that are I could improve significantly.

I'd appreciate if some of you more pro-gamer guys to point out which slots I should improve most urgently and what stats I should get ?

here's my equip:

Your gear has the right stats, but not enough int for the most part. It will be expensive though to find equivelants in terms of resistances and crit chance thouhg. You'll also want to start getting some crit damage as well.

I hope you didn't pay a lot for that hat. It's cool, and has decent stats, but the int is way too low, and the crit chance on RoF is useless if you aren't using it, which you aren't (which is fine.)

All in all I'd say that you want the same gear, but with more of the stats. Your attack speed is really good though, but it will make finding upgrades a bit hard because attack speed skews your damage shown.

So I'd say your priorities right now are Int, then crit damage, then crit chance, with both the crit stats being about equal, all while maintaining the other stats that you have. You will want to get more health as well. That will help you a great deal.

Especially since you aren't using diamond skin (which can be fine but is debatable depending on where in inferno you are) your health pool is really low, you want to be at closer to 30k.

I don't use Magic Weapon and am at 32k DPS, and you have more crit chance and a faster attack speed then I do. So its probably the higher amounts of int that I have.

Good luck, we're in like the reverse of each other, I'm trying to get more resists, and you need more int. But its not going to be cheap for either of us.

Tired of the same regurgitated blue posts? Want more in depth coverage of
    the aspects of the game you want to know about? Check us out!
    thanks for your analysis

I also feel like focusing more on crit would be the way to go - however - I've re-equipped myself once with crit stuff and had over +200% crit dmg with 35% crit chance and a decent weapon and about the same amount of int. yet my dps were 5k lower than what I have now and the much lower attack speed made kiting much more difficult for me

I just took a look at the auction house and couldn't find much gear that improves my int & vita while not sacrificing too much other stuff (like all-resi) so I think I'll have to farm more and start buying some million+ powerful items

I can't get rid of the feeling though that I'm under-equipped in one or two slots that might boost my stats by a good amount
    Quote from Damerflinn

Your gear has the right stats, but not enough int for the most part. It will be expensive though to find equivelants in terms of resistances and crit chance thouhg. You'll also want to start getting some crit damage as well.

I hope you didn't pay a lot for that hat. It's cool, and has decent stats, but the int is way too low, and the crit chance on RoF is useless if you aren't using it, which you aren't (which is fine.)

All in all I'd say that you want the same gear, but with more of the stats. Your attack speed is really good though, but it will make finding upgrades a bit hard because attack speed skews your damage shown.

So I'd say your priorities right now are Int, then crit damage, then crit chance, with both the crit stats being about equal, all while maintaining the other stats that you have. You will want to get more health as well. That will help you a great deal.

Especially since you aren't using diamond skin (which can be fine but is debatable depending on where in inferno you are) your health pool is really low, you want to be at closer to 30k.

I don't use Magic Weapon and am at 32k DPS, and you have more crit chance and a faster attack speed then I do. So its probably the higher amounts of int that I have.

Good luck, we're in like the reverse of each other, I'm trying to get more resists, and you need more int. But its not going to be cheap for either of us.

You guys can trade some :D
    I managed to switch out a few pieces and now I'm looking like this:

my life is still very low though - I'm definitely going to invest in a bit more vita
    am I missing something else ?

also - what do you guys think about using 2h weapons ?
    Upgrading your gems is a quick fix to plenty more int.
    IMO your weapon and OH are holding you back the most. The better OHs have over 300 top end damage which adds up to a lot of dps with your attack speed. As for your weapon, that's the first piece I would look at upgrading, and I would highly recommend using a spreadsheet when looking at upgrades. Look for a weapon with +crit damage on it or a socket (or both, but those are usually pretty pricey). Don't worry about int in your MH. If you want an example of how good crit damage really is, for my character I went from a 2h with 65% crit damage 1300 dps, to a 1250 dps 2h with 131 crit damage and GAINED dps.

I personally really like 2h because each of my attacks hits pretty hard and I spend a lot of time running so it makes me feel like what little time I spend throwing spells is a bit more effective. It does take some getting used to the slower cast times and I also use Arcane Orb over blizzard. I personally do not like blizzard with a 1h because it does very little damage since it doesn't scale with attack speed (as far as I have seen). Overall 1h vs 2h is still a large debatable issue and right now I'd say use whatever you feel most comfortable with.
    Wizard DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    Crusader DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, meant for Crusaders
    My Wizard
    You definitely need a better off hand, which can be found for cheap if u take the time to shop around. Also maybe you shouldnt focus so much on more vita, but maybe go for more all res/armor and life regeneration, I could be wrong but it looks like you are under the threshold of 90K EHP which makes you take harder blows than 35% of your life with force armor. Remember EHP is a combination of resists/armor/vita, and the lower the vita the easier it will be to regenerate.

PS:if you do decide to go the critical route keep in mind you will need to change many gear slots to make it worth, so maybe it will be better for you to just stay with ias% and stacking intelligence for damage, which also works fine as I do it that way(have 38kDPS no force weapon and no familiar), and I have nothing in my gear that adds critical chance or damage.

PS2: another thing is I noticed u have blizzard "frozen solid" while I think its an ok choice Id rather go with snowbound, for 2 reasons, 1 you can spam it making a blizzard path when kiting, and also can use on 2 separate packs of mobs, and second because it would free up a passive slot for illusionist(no need for astral presence) which is just that good with either teleport or mirror images.
    what is EHP and why do I need 90k of it ?
    (sorry if this sounds noobish)

also - I think you're right, I'll just stick with IAS. it works rather well for me and I would need to exchange all my gear otherwise
    Quote from Orni

also - I think you're right, I'll just stick with IAS. it works rather well for me and I would need to exchange all my gear otherwise

EHP is you effective health, when taking a hit from a mob you have to consider that before you take a hit on your actual health bar resists and armor apply damage reductions so the hit is lower than a straight hit if u had no resists/armor. Look here: http://rubensayshi.github.com/d3-ehp-calculator/#calculator/397c346b-4687-3f5d-27e0-c83e7c2d2b70
    After putting your stats it seems your ehp is just about 100k EHP which is pretty good even for act 3 mobs, however you might still get some bleeding damage(more than 35%) when u face some rares/champions. So what I advise you to do is getting a little more resists/armor and some life regeneration so you can recover from blows more quickly.
    Other than that the first piece of your gear I would change is the off hand, make sure to get one with like 350 top damage and maybe intel too if possible, you can find some of those for cheap if u look around and it will make a big difference in your damage.
    Quote from Madwizz

Quote from Orni

EHP is you effective health, when taking a hit from a mob you have to consider that before you take a hit on your actual health bar resists and armor apply damage reductions so the hit is lower than a straight hit if u had no resists/armor. Look here: http://rubensayshi.g...e0-c83e7c2d2b70
    After putting your stats it seems your ehp is just about 100k EHP which is pretty good even for act 3 mobs, however you might still get some bleeding damage(more than 35%) when u face some rares/champions. So what I advise you to do is getting a little more resists/armor and some life regeneration so you can recover from blows more quickly.
    Other than that the first piece of your gear I would change is the off hand, make sure to get one with like 350 top damage and maybe intel too if possible, you can find some of those for cheap if u look around and it will make a big difference in your damage.

thanks - I'll watch my EHP from now on

I also got a 100-350 dmg & 80 int offhand quite cheap and it boosted my dps significantly

next I'm going to exchange my rings for some 'proper' gear
    What means the final value of EHP that the site u provide us give? (EHP without dodge)
    I may be in the minority here, but I think the most glaring stats missing here is Resists, Armor, and Critical Hit Damage (try to find a weapon with a socket).

People seem to overvalue the big number on your damage sheet. This is nice, but there are many factors to being able to play and beat inferno easily.

Being able to play inferno without having to play perfectly 24/7 is far more valuable than many people think. I would try to get some Res all stats on most of your items. You will notice a huge difference around 700 res all, and then again around 900-1k.
    Your chest/pants/shoulders/belt are your largest areas where you can get HUGE gains in intelligence and vitality at the cost of a smaller amount of resists.

and unless you're playing a tank build (which you're not) you can get enough effective health pool from vitality alone to get the most out of force armor (instead of resists) and reach that level more cheaply and with greater intel.

(mine for comparison)

Do not get more vita, as it will not benefit you, what you need is resists/armor/life regeneration. It doesnt matter if your gonna get 700 all res and use force armor makes no sense.... critical chance and damage on the other hand will ofc make difference on your dps but at a steep cost, so its what you can afford, also your rings are fine unless you decide to go with critical focus, just make sure you get the other pieces of gear with critical chance bonus/damage otherwise your damage will be lowered instead of boosted.
    Quote from Madwizz

Do not get more vita, as it will not benefit you, what you need is resists/armor/life regeneration. It doesnt matter if your gonna get 700 all res and use force armor makes no sense.... critical chance and damage on the other hand will ofc make difference on your dps but at a steep cost, so its what you can afford, also your rings are fine unless you decide to go with critical focus, just make sure you get the other pieces of gear with critical chance bonus/damage otherwise your damage will be lowered instead of boosted.

Vitality at the cost of some resist can be a great benifit if you're just shooting for optimal use of force armor. A mix of both resists and vitality is the cheapest way to do this
    Force armor is a crutch that you will outgrow with gear. Gearing around force armor rune is one thing, but gearing up in general is easier if you keep in mind that you will gradually grow out of having to use it.

Pinpoint and Prismatic are both very good runes that get more and more useful as you gear up.
    19K life is way too low. I'm running with 50K HP/36K DPS/400 Res with FA/FW and am currently farming act 3 inf.

After reviewing you can certainly upgrade, with minimal funds that is, your offhand source to something with either life % or vit, with int and higher dmg say 100-300-350 for like 1.5-2m. Anything with life % AND vit, int, and high dmg will cost upwards of 15-20 mil.

Swap out the helm for a slotted helm with high int (over 150) with some vit (over 50). Slot the highest tiered amenthyst into the helm for more HP. Ideally you'd want a helm with all those affixes + res all and mf but again, price is a deal breaker.

The rings could certainly be upgraded as well. Rare rings with more affixes + IAS can be found for fairly cheap now that 1.03 was implemented. I'm currently running with only 1 ring with 7% IAS with int and armor and 1 ring with res all, life%, and int.
    If you are using force armor, your hp doesnt mean much, what matters is your EHP, so if you are over that threshold of 110k EHP(or around that), because you will almost always take a hit of 35% of your life, so the less vitality you have(while keeping you EHP at over 110K) will be more beneficial for your life regeneration to work.

So lets say you have 50K health and 110KEHP, with force armor on you will take 35% from hits which is a 17,5k hit on your health bar. On the other hand if you have 20k health(while still maintaining 110KEHP through higher resists/armor) you will also take 35% hits on your life which is about 7k hit on your health. Now think what will be easier to recover 17k health or 7k health? Not to mention diamond skin will also be more valuable as it will be able to tank more hits at lower life.
    The only pieces that jump out at me as particularly bad are the off-hand and the chest. The off-hand you mentioned upgrading, which is good. The chest piece is weak because it has the int but not much more, while consuming a really prime vitality spot. You should be able to get a chest piece with a really big chunk of vitality on it, even with some sockets, without spending too much. As nice as resists are, vitality is a much easier and cheaper way to bulk up.

With the exception of your shoulder, which is a very good piece, I think most of your items are about on par with what I'd expect to get for 50k in that slot. You might be better off with a 200 int/100 vit amulet than your current one, and I'm partial to a giant chunk of vit on my pants, but otherwise you're going for the right stats.

What I would recommend, especially when building on a budget as you are, is to focus on getting 2 big stats on each item on a sovereign or archon level piece. The armor from those higher armor pieces adds up to a lot, and objectively 2 big stats does just as much for you as 4 little ones. That is, stop worrying about getting int/vit/resist on everything, and just grab big int/vit chest/legs and int/res on the minor armor spots, and you'll get better stats overall on the same budget.

That said - I think to make progress you're going to be looking to upgrade to more expensive armor pieces, so I'd be looking for deals on 250k-500k armor pieces and gradually replacing everything as the opportunity replaces itself.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes