Sick of using the same hyrda/blizzard kiting build in Inferno? Try this out instead. (In-Depth Guide)

Hey guys,

I've written a very comprehensive guide you might want to check out if you're having difficulty progressing through Inferno (or even if you're not). I've posted it over on Reddit HERE.

I'd love it if you stopped by to glance it over. Thanks!
    "Sick of using the same skills? Check out my revolutionary idea to use venom hydra and arcane orb!"
    herpderp
    If you bothered to look at the build, you'll see venom hydra and arcane orb are the only spells I keep from most other standard builds (energy armor is a common staple as well). I'm also using Wave of Force, Teleport, and Mirror Image to really shake up the formula, instead of relying on Blizzard, Magic Weapon, and Diamond Skin. It changes things up QUITE a bit. It may not be "revolutionary," but you'd be surprised how different the playstyle is from everyone's go-to cookie-cutter build.
    Quote from Heroman

If you bothered to look at the build, you'll see venom hydra and arcane orb are the only spells I keep from most other standard builds (energy armor is a common staple as well). I'm also using Wave of Force, Teleport, and Mirror Image to really shake up the formula, instead of relying on Blizzard, Magic Weapon, and Diamond Skin. It changes things up QUITE a bit. It may not be "revolutionary," but you'd be surprised how different the playstyle is from everyone's go-to cookie-cutter build.

That's cool, thanks for sharing.
    Quote from Khrull777

That's cool, thanks for sharing.

You are most welcome.
    I'd switch Venom hydra out with Arcane Hydra and use Temporal Flux instead of Galvanizing Ward, for the slow :)
    Also this build can be fairly good with enough crit chance combined with "Arcane Power on Crit".
    Tip: Use scoundrel for 3% increased crit chance.
    The tactic you described is a horrid tactic ive never used and never will use. Im what youd call a "not horrible player" and do things good MY way. 40 hours of play and halfway through act 3 inferno

The tactic you described is a horrid tactic ive never used and never will use. Im what youd call a "not horrible player" and do things good MY way. 40 hours of play and halfway through act 3 inferno

Nice to see you contributing to the forum :) ! The least you could do, is to give some constructive criticism as to why that build "is a horrid tactic".

Maybe you should try it before you knock it. I've cleared Inferno fully, in part thanks to this build, and my gear was pretty mediocre. I'm glad things are working out for you YOUR way. I'm just offering up a build I've found to be very effective, and is unique in what I've come across.

EDIT: maybe you were replying to Vashavi? I couldn't tell.
    i
    Quote from Heroman

Maybe you should try it before you knock it. I've cleared Inferno fully, in part thanks to this build, and my gear was pretty mediocre. I'm glad things are working out for you YOUR way. I'm just offering up a build I've found to be very effective, and is unique in what I've come across.

I was talking to vashavi, venom hydra sucks ass because the damage is just way too low.

EDIT: Arcane Hydra******
    This is actually a pretty good build for non boss fights and a very well written guide. Thanks for sharing =)

i
    Quote from Heroman

I was talking to vashavi, venom hydra sucks ass because the damage is just way too low.

I think you might be new, because there doesn't seem to be much thought behind what you're saying. I'm gonna tell you why Venom hydra is so good in terms of damage, compared to the other hydras.
    See, we have the Arcane Hydra which shoots a projectile doing 28% weapon damage, and the Venom hydra which spawns a pool on the ground doing 18% weapon damage every second, to the enemies that stand in it. Now what's the difference here? For maximum usage of the Venom Hydra, you want your enemies to stand still. With that spec, you won't have any slow, unless you go with Temporal Flux - But even then, Venom Hydra is still bad. Because the slow on Temporal Flux is only 30%, while Blizzard is 60%.
    Quote from Vashavi

i
    Quote from Heroman

I think you might be new, because there doesn't seem to be much thought behind what you're saying. I'm gonna tell you why Venom hydra is so good in terms of damage, compared to the other hydras.
    See, we have the Arcane Hydra which shoots a projectile doing 28% weapon damage, and the Venom hydra which spawns a pool on the ground doing 18% weapon damage every second, to the enemies that stand in it. Now what's the difference here? For maximum usage of the Venom Hydra, you want your enemies to stand still. With that spec, you won't have any slow, unless you go with Temporal Flux - But even then, Venom Hydra is still bad. Because the slow on Temporal Flux is only 30%, while Blizzard is 60%.
    New? im far from new. the fact that blizzard only does around 5k damage makes it not worth it. while my arcane orb does ehhh 60ks? on EACH target.

New? im far from new. the fact that blizzard only does around 5k damage makes it not worth it. while my arcane orb does ehhh 60ks? on EACH target.
    Interesting theory, might do some math on that. What rune are you using on Arcane Orb ?
    Quote from Vashavi

Interesting theory, might do some math on that. What rune are you using on Arcane Orb ?
    I dont have diablo 3 handy on me at the moment, but the one that makes it cost less
    Alright, I've done the math (Correctly I hope).

The scenario is: A mob is running towards you, it won't be affected by slow and it's gonna kill you in 15 seconds (the uptime of hydra). Do as much damage to it as possible with a combination of these abilities.
    Arcane Hydra or Venom Hydra
    Blizzard & Magic Missile or Arcane Orb

Weapon damage of each ability
    Arcane Hydra = 28% (3 x 2 = 6 | 6 * 28 = 168%)
    Venom Hydra = 18% (3 x 2 x 3 = 18 | 18 * 18 = 324%)
    Blizzard = 210%/6 sec Cost = 45 AP
    Arcane Orb = 175% Cost = 20 AP
    Magic Missile = 121%

Stats
    Time window: 15 seconds
    Attacks per second: 2.00
    Base AP Pool: 120
    AP Regen: 12
    Effective AP Pool = 12 * 15 + 120 = 300.
    Amount of Arcane Orbs able to be thrown in 15 seconds = Effective pool divided by AO cost = 300 / 20 = 15 Casts
    Amount of Blizzards able to be thrown in 15 seconds = Timeframe divided by Blizzard uptime = 15 / 6 = 2,5 Casts
    Blizzard Damage calculation = 210 * 2,5 Casts = 525% Damage
    Magic Missile Calculation = Two Attack per second * 15 seconds * 121 = 3630% Damage
    Venom Hydra Calculation = Three hits * double damage due to our attack speed * Three ticks = 18.
    ^- Need confirmation on Hydra Calculation.
    ^- It might just be = Three Hits + Three Ticks = 6
    In that case Arcane Hydra would be = Three Hits = 3
    If that's the case, I'll have to redo calculations, too tired now though.
    Also I need confirmation that a pool will tick atleast once on a mob that can't be slowed.

Arcane Hydra & Arcane Orb
    Arcane Hydra = 168 * 15 = 2520% Damage
    Arcane Orb = 175 * 15 = 2625% Damage
    2520 + 2625 = 5145% Damage done in 15 seconds.

Arcane Hydra & Blizzard+Magic Missile
    Arcane Hydra = 2520%
    Blizzard = 525%
    Magic MIssile = 3630%
    2520 + 525 + 3630 = 6675% Damage

Venom Hydra / Arcane Orb
    Venom Hydra = 4860% - Implying they'll stand in pool for 1 tick.
    Arcane Orb = 2625%
    2625 + 4860 = 7485%

Venom Hydra & Blizzard+Magic Missile
    Venom Hydra = 4860% - Implying they'll stand in pool for 1 tick
    Blizzard = 630%
    Magic Missile = 3630%
    4860 + 630 + 3630 = 9120%

Note: These calculations are without "Pool stacking", "AP Gain on Crits", "Cold Blooded", "Blizzard Slow (60%)", "Temporal Flux (30%)" and miscalculations might have happened due to tiredness.

Conclusion - Venom Hydra combined with Blizzard and Magic Missile will do more damage than Arcane Orb.
    Well written! I had been considering a build with teleport just cause I'm fucking bored of playing arcane orb/piercing orb build, with familiar/force weapon and diamond skin/venom hydra.

And I was starting to have trouble with some fast elites/rares (act 3 hell). I never thought of mirror images having the stun effect of the wave ability. It makes for a lot of stun.. and fun :)
    Where did the term ''cookie-cutter'' come from? :D
    Quote from Vashavi

Conclusion - Venom Hydra combined with Blizzard and Magic Missile will do more damage than Arcane Orb.

The fact that Arcane Orb hits multiple targets should probably be taken into account.
    Tried it yesterday evening, but couldn't get it to work well for me. Maybe that was because I was just stepping into the keep's dungeons in act 3, or maybe because it isn't really suited to my playstyle.

Anyway, thanks for sharing something original!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes