Best Signature spell?

Hey, I'm still looking to find out what the best Signature spell is to use.
    I'm lvl 54 Hell Act II, so far my Electrocute serves me well but almost nobody uses it as far as I can see other builds on the forums.

So what IS one of the most effect Signature spells? Or shouldn't I use one at all?

I don't like the idea not having proper attacks while I wait for AP.
    Just cause you're not seeing your build getting used doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. I remember some interview with Jay Wilson where they'd calculated some obscene number in the billion range for possible skill combos.

However, there's definitely a lot of potential from sigs. I notice a lot of people (including the Danish guy who solo'd Inferno Diablo) using Magic Missile + Atunement combined with Prodigy as a quick power generator.

I used Electrocute pretty much the whole way through Normal and I loved combining it with Chain Lightning for sniping whole packs behind the safety of a corner.

With the right passive setup (Astral Presence + Power Hungry), I got around my resource constraints and stopped using sigs. At the moment I use Disintegrate with Volatility as my primary attack and the awesome (and surely soon to be nerfed) Venom Hydra as my secondary.

I reckon if it works for you, use it. I'm hoping that D3 has a lot less cookie-cutter demographic than its predecessor.
    Quote from Bloopit

I reckon if it works for you, use it. I'm hoping that D3 has a lot less cookie-cutter demographic than its predecessor.

I looked up old D2 patch notes because i wanted to know what changed between Launch to Expansion to What We Know Today.
    What i found:
    Blizzard didnt change a single skill, other than to fix bugs, up until Lord Of Destruction.
    Literally 1.01 to 1.06 are all about bug fixes...

Considering they've already changed ~4 abilities, they definetly seem to be more aggressive toward balance than they used to be.
    Some of that's probably because of nigh-game-breakingly overpowered skills like Force Armour. I can't imagine Bliz felt too good when Inferno Diablo was killed in under a week. xD
    They have to keep two eyes on balance cause auf the arena system... D2 pvp was shitty and nobody was interested in it.
    Quote from tschipuktii

D2 pvp was shitty

That's just your opinion

Quote from tschipuktii

and nobody was interested in it.

and that's nonsense.
    ­
    Shock Pulse : Piercing Orb and Magic Missile Seeker is great too.
    Someone fill me in on this venom hydra and why its so OP.

EVERYONE seems to use peircing orb....but seems to me electrocute...the one that travels through...like rays...does more damage? Its lower damadge...but its soooooo quick
    Quote from Derenzy

EVERYONE seems to use peircing orb....but seems to me electrocute...the one that travels through...like rays...does more damage? Its lower damadge...but its soooooo quick

Venom Hydra is good because the poison pools it spews stack.
    ­
    Quote from Derenzy

Agree with that. Piercing Orb seems more popular, but I can't see why when Electrocute with Blast rune do the same but with more dps. I suppose that it's because if you do a single attack, move, the Orb hits harder, but the moment you can stay your ground a couple of seconds.... Electrocute does much more damage.
    Great point comparing ...and being on the run vs standing ur ground
    I've never really tried Electrocute, but Piercing Orb actually passes through alot of terrain and you can shoot it through mostly everything (Waller walls do block it though) which I really like while kiting, but it's just my preference.
    Electrocute was great for normal until I unlocked Piercing Orb. I then used Piercing Orb through most of Nightmare.

But the thing about Signature Spells are that they are basically a less powerful spell that you can cast when you burn through all your AP. Now that I'm deep into Hell, quite honestly I don't have time to cast a Signature Spell, and I don't even have one hotkeyed. I spend so much time staying alive, when I do get a chance to DPS, I want it to hit hard. The rest of the time is spent casting defensive spells, or running for my life. :)

Edit: I should note that I do have to use Astral Presence to keep my AP at adequate levels, however.
    Don't all signature skiils just suck incredibly?

I can't use any of them. I hate them, I hate all those electric crap, I hate the sound of electrocute and LOL at the horrible damage. I think they all look, feel like crap and offer no good use of minus AP.

I'd rather run around and wait for my AP to regen than waste 0.1 second standing shooting these incredibly weak spells. They're a HUGE waste of slots when you have so many important spells to choose from.

I can't even consider them. They're horrible.
    Quote from tschipuktii

They have to keep two eyes on balance cause auf the arena system... D2 pvp was shitty and nobody was interested in it.

They already said they won't balance pve skills for pvp.
    It depends on what you like to do, and also depends on what situation you are in. Personally, I just enjoy using spectral blades + thrown blade. It's fun and it kills mobs in front of me. When I go to boss/champion/elite pack fights, I usually throw on magic missile + charged blast for kiting purposes so that I can keep my distance.

Other than those two, I'd pick a signature that complements your build/play style. If you have spells that are just meant to harm one monster, than electrocute is nice because it spreads the damage. In my experience, I find that keeping a balance between mob killing spells and single target killing spells works best so that you won't have to run off and changes your skill set before every encounter.
    Jellyfish are the one and only true Wizards
    I have tried both chain lightning and piercing orb. They both are good and not sure which is better. But signature spells are definitely good to compliment a build. I use this build which does not run out of AP often:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#URXSlO!abT!.baZYY

The sig spell goes very well with arcane dynamo passive to boost the other spells dmg by 75%. About half of the blizzard and hydra spells I cast get the 75% bonus damage from this passive due to spamming by sig spell.
    Quote from adammichaelchess

I have tried both chain lightning and piercing orb. They both are good and not sure which is better. But signature spells are definitely good to compliment a build. I use this build which does not run out of AP often:

http://us.battle.net...XSlO!abT!.baZYY

The sig spell goes very well with arcane dynamo passive to boost the other spells dmg by 75%. About half of the blizzard and hydra spells I cast get the 75% bonus damage from this passive due to spamming by sig spell.

It's not a bad build, but that evocation passive seems a little out of place. You only have one spell which requires a cool down, which isn't that long in the first place. I'd toss that out for galvanizing ward or paralysis since you are using electrocute. If you are feeling bold, you could use glass canon.

Oh, and I'd use a different rune for Blizzard, such as snowbound. You can make your own 22 yard blizzard with that for over half the cost.
    Jellyfish are the one and only true Wizards
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes