Wizard with a shield?

So I've been playing with a few friends of mine.

They keep telling me it isn't like a Wizard to run around with an Axe and Shield.
    One of them actually said Wizards get a damage bonus with a Wand + Source Offhand.

I have an Axe and Shield because the stats were way better than the Wand + Source I had before that.

What is your opinion about this? Is it wrong for a Wizard to wear a Shield?

And can anyone confirm Wizards actually do more damage with Wand + Source Offhand?
    You do more dmg with an source offhand, to be correct a offhand with +dmg or +attack speed. Shields do not have those stats.
    I have a 1hand+offhand atm, before that I had a 2hand axe.

I see no point in useing a shield unless you die from melee dudes over and over again.
    And if you do that you need to rotate your def skills better witch in the end will render the shield useless.
    A shield would have to have a massive amount of int to be higher damage than an offhand, but it could be possible if you hadn't found a source in a while.

But yeah, either 1h + source or 2h will do the most damage. Doesn't matter if it's a wand/staff or something else though.
    the +int on a shield later on could never compare to the +dmg on a source.. Dont know exact numbers or anything, but +90 int is like +3-6dmg or something.
    Okay, thanks for the info. Still looking for a good defensive build to get rid of the shield.
    Diamond skin/Double amount rune - Mirrors/duplicate - Energy armor/force armor
    With that you can kite til the end of days. Mirrors give you a few seconds to run away, Diamond skin when they catch up or jail/vortex/wall you. Energy armor/force armor lets you survive the most brutal attacks.

This is just what I think, some would say that teleport is better then mirrors and so on. Just play around with the def skills and see how long you can survive against difficult packs
    There is no point in having a shield as a wizard, if your enemies are getting close enough to hit you, you're doing something wrong. I personally use frost nova (cold snap) + wave of force (impactful wave) to keep enemies away from me, I also use the Evocation passive so that they are constantly off cd. If I have to go toe to toe with something I make sure I have my energy armor up and my Archon form activated.
    Unless of course you're in Hell or Inferno, at which point it's not possible to never get hit... :facepalm:
    Quote from Kaelleria

Unless of course you're in Hell or Inferno, at which point it's not possible to never get hit... :facepalm:

False. If you play a wizard correctly the only thing that should hit you in inferno are elites with mortars, and of course if you manage to back yourself into a corner you're screwed. Even if you are getting hit alot in inferno, a shield won't help you much at all.
    So you're telling me that you're using Archon effectively in Inferno and not getting hit by things like Burrowing Leapers, Hulking phasebeasts, etc?
    Quote from Kaelleria

So you're telling me that you're using Archon effectively in Inferno and not getting hit by things like Burrowing Leapers, Hulking phasebeasts, etc?

Nope, before I go into archon form I use frost nova then wave of force (with impactful wave to knock them back farther and stun them), then I run a few steps back to line up the targets, pop archon, and burn them before they get to me and burn me down. Obviously each fight is a little different but I've got to act 3 inferno so far with that setup.
    I have a hard time believing you can do that with elite packs...
    Quote from Letemburn

Quote from Kaelleria

False. If you play a wizard correctly the only thing that should hit you in inferno are elites with mortars, and of course if you manage to back yourself into a corner you're screwed. Even if you are getting hit alot in inferno, a shield won't help you much at all.

Wrong, mortar is one of the skills that should NEVER EVER hit you. The thing that WILL hit you regardless of what you do are Fast mobs, worms burrowing from underneath you in caves and enemies such as Heralds of Pestilence in Act III.
    Quote from Kaelleria

I have a hard time believing you can do that with elite packs...

Try it out for yourself. I'm by no means a pro, but now that I think about it, i'm so comfortable with that setup that I can adjust to just about any pack without hesitating.
    Quote from Choda

Quote from Letemburn

Quote from Kaelleria

Wrong, mortar is one of the skills that should NEVER EVER hit you. The thing that WILL hit you regardless of what you do are Fast mobs, worms burrowing from underneath you in caves and enemies such as Heralds of Pestilence in Act III.

Fast mobs can be kited, you can see the worms burrowing before they pop up, and you can see the Heralds cast the tentacle ( I do usually take at least 1 tick of damage from them though). None of those have ever been an issue for me, however mortars are a very different story.
    I stopped using Archon towards the end of Nightmare... It was usually a death sentence for me whenever I ran into a set of elites with nasty affixes on them. Depending on the affix, there may not be a whole lot of stand around time to pew pew with Archon.
    Quote from Kaelleria

I stopped using Archon towards the end of Nightmare... It was usually a death sentence for me whenever I ran into a set of elites with nasty affixes on them. Depending on the affix, there may not be a whole lot of stand around time to pew pew with Archon.

You're correct, mortar packs are a nightmare, I don't dare use archon on a mortar pack unless I KNOW i'm gonna get the kill... With those packs I just kite them until my defensive abilities are off cd then stun them, get off a few seconds of dps, then rinse and repeat. It's not much fun at all, especially if you panic and run in the wrong (undiscovered) direction and pull even more mobs >_> There are a couple of other affixes that I have to do the same thing with but for the most part I can still pull off just stunning & using archon to burn them.
    Lidless seems to be a good shield with its IAS, allres and all the int it can have. I'm sure it can rival some sources in damage. Too bad it has such low armor and block.
    ­
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes