Some question about Hydra

Hi all !

I'm a little lost with my Wizard on Inferno, ok, it's hard, but for me it is like impossible ^^ I'm not a really good player and I don't know how to improve my DPS.

I've read on another topic that critical mass could be my friend for diamond skin. But everbody say that Hydra is the ultimate option for kitting.

For the moment, I try to increase my dps without attack speed bonus, but I'm not really effective. And I've not any critical bonus.

My question was : do the Hydra get the bonus of the attack speed and of the critical bonus ?

Thank you !
    Sorry for my english, I'm french.
    Quote from Shudrum

Hi all !

I'm a little lost with my Wizard on Inferno, ok, it's hard, but for me it is like impossible ^^ I'm not a really good player and I don't know how to improve my DPS.

I've read on another topic that critical mass could be my friend for diamond skin. But everbody say that Hydra is the ultimate option for kitting.

For the moment, I try to increase my dps without attack speed bonus, but I'm not really effective. And I've not any critical bonus.

My question was : do the Hydra get the bonus of the attack speed and of the critical bonus ?

Thank you !

First off you are in Inferno so you must be doing somethings right.

First question, which Hydra are you using? I know that Venom is very good for damage on mobs, but I also know that I have seen builds that include Arcane for kiting.

From what I can tell, when you summon something you are in effect casting a damaging DOT which should be influenced by casting speed buffs/damage buffs. Even though it is a Hydra, it is actually you casting a damaging spell.
    I would ignore the critical/mass diamond skin thing for now because it seems to be on the top of their list to nerf. For what people are talking about see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViuwzlnAkTc# Say what you want about the 0 vit force armor build, but the CDR build with infinite diamond skin in that video is definitely broken.

As for Hydra, it is amazing for kiting. Venom hydra is best. From what I can tell, Hydra scales directly with your DPS, i.e. it accounts for everything including attack speed and critical hits.

The most important thing for your dps is your weapon, so I would highly recommend buying the best one you can off the AH with whatever gold you have saved up.
    Best for inferno kiting at the moment is Venom Hydra with Blizzard (for me with grasping chill). That way you can stand at safe distance and spam your homing magic missiles. This is at least my build and it works pretty solid in inferno. Cleared all acts (except diablo kill) with that. Force weapon venom with Diamond skin works good with critical mass to deal with the reflect damage packs.
    Hope this helps :)
    I have switch many times between Arcane and Venom Hydra but currently stay with the venom because I've seen this one on 99% of the witch builds.

On other posts, I've see that they recommand the poisonned stuff. So :

Quote from Darkrealmx

From what I can tell, when you summon something you are in effect casting a damaging DOT which should be influenced by casting speed buffs/damage buffs. Even though it is a Hydra, it is actually you casting a damaging spell.

If I follow this statement, the poisonned Hydra get the bonus of the poisonned weapon. So with crit dans dammage, my kitting and surviving will be increased...
    How, thank you for your answers Morphos & DiscipleX_X, I take many time to write in english ^^

Quote from Morphos

I would ignore the critical/mass diamond skin thing for now because it seems to be on the top of their list to nerf.

Ok, I've choose the worst choice of the moment ^^
    I've but a 2 handed rod, around 800 dps without attack speed bonus and arcane bonus attack ... the higher dps staffs are too expensive for me.

And thanks DiscipleX_X, I'll try Blizzard :)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes