Let's Get Realistic -- Inferno Wizard Build

Here's my Inferno build:

http://us.battle.net...eZiQ!Ubd!YYZbcZ

The idea here is to Electrocute or Disintegrate from afar when possible. When it gets hot you can Wave of Force for the kill, or Frost Nova, and Port out (adding 25% damage reduction).

I've also included the PERK Critical Mass. The reason for this over Evocation is that when casting AOE spells Crit is usually rolled individually for each target. This is an assumption. If my assumption is correct, with 8% - 12% Crit chance you should be able to reduce the Cooldowns of Frost Nova, Wave of Force, and Teleport by 1 second each time you spam Electrocute.

Electrocute casts about twice a second making it better than Evocation in this example (reduces cooldowns by 20%).

I've also included Galvanizing Wizard and Arcane Presence for their synergy with Arcane Armor with a Crimson Rune. Looks like this:

Increase Armor by 20% for 240 seconds.
    Heal 890 life per second for 240 seconds.
    All resistances increased to 120% for 240 seconds.
    Arcane Power regeneration increased by 2 AP per second.

Thoughts?
    Not to be a pain in the ass, but I think your underestimating Inferno yourself.
    The skills you ahve selected give a little survivability (diamond skin and EA and ofc teleport) but I see everyone take something like that.
    I suggest a completely different aproach when making inferno builds. Instead of picking some defensive and some offensive skills I'm going to make it easy for you. You can ONLY pick 2 offensive skills. That's it.

You'll end with something lookinng like this:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#jcQZVi!TUe!baZbYY
    Aren't we all monsters inside?
    İn my oppinion good attack is the best way of the defense , so many defensive skills just give you suffer if your race is wizard...You got aoe and pretty high dps options and you chose defensive skills , is that realisctic? : )
    i dont think so ^^
    Quote from M4st3rM1nd

Not to be a pain in the ass, but I think your underestimating Inferno yourself.
    The skills you ahve selected give a little survivability (diamond skin and EA and ofc teleport) but I see everyone take something like that.
    I suggest a completely different aproach when making inferno builds. Instead of picking some defensive and some offensive skills I'm going to make it easy for you. You can ONLY pick 2 offensive skills. That's it.

You'll end with something lookinng like this:
    http://us.battle.net...QZVi!TUe!baZbYY

You would get raped by any large pack of mobs.... you have no ability to kill whatsoever. As soon as you blew your CDs you would be dead.

You drastically overestimated the hardness of inferno and made a build that is far too defensive at the expense of offense. Furthermore, the defense has serious weaknesses and leaves you completely vulnerable in a war of attrition.

Wave of force is arguably more of a defensive move btw.
    One is never hurt by being given additional choices, only by taking them away.
    A QUADRILLION MAGIC FIND is worthless if you can't kill shit!
    I it may be a gear question as well. The better gear you have the less you have to focus on survival. Also it depends if you gonna play HC or SC. I remember back in D2 days playing HC, I would focus everything on survival! :)
    Quote from SeppukA

İn my oppinion good attack is the best way of the defense , so many defensive skills just give you suffer if your race is wizard...You got aoe and pretty high dps options and you chose defensive skills , is that realisctic? : )
    i dont think so ^^

Best Defensive is Offensive hmm that may work out for you but not on Inferno. Keep in mind that massive dose of dps triggers aggression on You. Combine that with Teleportation and You are marked as a lighthouse in the night for the primary with instant blink of elite that wish to hug You not mentioning the smaller creeps.

Glass cannon will then turn into more survivability mode for example diamond skin with indigo (Increase duration to 9 seconds.)/ obsidian rune (Increase the maximum absorption amount to 29656 damage.) in order to withstand masive dps - that I bet You can't avoid even in co-op.
    Seeing all these different builds is getting me really excited for the game (again).
    Quote from Sarinis_Isiltra

Quote from SeppukA

i dont think so ^^

Best Defensive is Offensive hmm that may work out for you but not on Inferno. Keep in mind that massive dose of dps triggers aggression on You. Combine that with Teleportation and You are marked as a lighthouse in the night for the primary with instant blink of elite that wish to hug You not mentioning the smaller creeps.

Glass cannon will then turn into more survivability mode for example diamond skin with indigo (Increase duration to 9 seconds.)/ obsidian rune (Increase the maximum absorption amount to 29656 damage.) in order to withstand masive dps - that I bet You can't avoid even in co-op.

A purley offensive build will prob work out just as well as a purely defensive one....

The thing is its rather difficult to make a purely offensive build w/o picking up some utility along the way.
    Lots of interesting builds in this thread!

I don't really plan on playing a Wizard, at least for hardcore, but you never know...

Here's what I would probably run with:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#akfbiV!ZUg!cZcbcc

The idea here is to use Temporal Flux to keep enemies at bay along with Teleport. Ice Armor with Golden Runestone and Diamond Armor are for when enemies swarm me and my teleport is on cooldown. I believe Safe Passage will be useful for later difficulties, as you can use it offensively when you know you're about to fight a big group with ranged attacks to absorb more punishment. This build might suffer a bit in large open areas, but in hallways where Energy Twister "bounces" around, it will basically create meandering AOEs that slow enemies. I might replace Energy Twister with Arcane Orb... we'll see how it all plays out.
    Quote from ManlyBeard

I don't really plan on playing a Wizard, at least for hardcore, but you never know...

http://us.battle.net...fbiV!ZUg!cZcbcc

Twister are useless. If u want to get more damage, u don't need cast twister, bcs 3 cast twister = 115 AP and if u cast any signature spell all twister will be released. (Self-regen AP = 12AP/s)
    Torrent cost 20 AP. . .
    be realistic, u would don't have enough AP
    I guess Inferno builds should focus on high defense. That's especially true for a mage with that low armor: Ice armor and Diamond skin is the way to go!
    Just pay attention not to engage too many mobs at a time and you'd be fine.
    Quote from Subara

Quote from ManlyBeard

http://us.battle.net...fbiV!ZUg!cZcbcc

Twister are useless. If u want to get more damage, u don't need cast twister, bcs 3 cast twister = 115 AP and if u cast any signature spell all twister will be released. (Self-regen AP = 12AP/s)
    Torrent cost 20 AP. . .
    be realistic, u would don't have enough AP

He could get Astral presence,
    Wizard gear has +AP and +AP on Crits.
    Natural Regen is 12.5 AP/sec.
    Ohh and You can cast these things called signatures that are FREE OR EVEN YIELD AP and lets your AP regenerate. The fact that it releases early means nothing, as it doesnt do exponentially more dmg based on the # of charges. Heck max'd out it would probably just overkill anything it hit.

EDIT: Actually none of that stuff even matters...

Assuming 1 cast per second, or something close.
    3x Twister = 105
    1x Arcane Torrent = 20

All you would need to do is regenerate 25 Arcane power in the time it took you to do those 4 casts.
    100-35+12.5-35+12.5-35+12.5-20 +12.5 = 25 AP
    I haven't actually played the beta, so I really don't want to comment specifically on abilities, but I really think that until we know exactly what Inferno entails it will be difficult to choose one specific build over another. Especially considering any discrepancies that may arise from gear.

That being said, I think a number of builds in here have merit depending on the situation they are used for. You also have to consider personal play-styles and solo vs. group play. Again, having not played I can't know for sure what influences such differences will have, but I think it is safe to assume there will be some.
    Quote from Shamtastik

I haven't actually played the beta, so I really don't want to comment specifically on abilities, but I really think that until we know exactly what Inferno entails it will be difficult to choose one specific build over another. Especially considering any discrepancies that may arise from gear.

I agree and would like to add, that come Inferno Blizzard stated often enough that it will be easier on the players if they team up with friends and play harder difficulties together.
    As a wizard I can only see benefits from doing that, just because you can focus less on survivability (because for this you could have a "tankish" barbarian or monk) and max out the damage output (e.g. "glass cannon" skill) which imminently will kill things faster hence the better situation for the whole group.

If you chose to go alone on Inferno mode then there is no doubt that you need to go out for highest possible defense rather than offence. And not only as a wizard mind you.
    If you can teleport just as fast as in diablo 2. Then you can kill a lot of monsters if you take the time. If not well then you have to use spells to your advantage like freezing. I won't by playing the wizard as first. But still I like the wizard as class so I will by rolling one after a while.
    Of course its not the best option being very aggressive at inferno, i never meaned that.I think inferno is about as which skills we take as how we use them , blizzard always balanced their games for each races , and i hope there is always a way to survive at inferno ^^

If we dont balance our attack power and defense skills it causes many problem , if a wizard wants to be a "tank" it is just a day dream i meaned this in my first message.

i think archon , meteor and teleport skills are imba.
    after beta-patch 13 u have 10 AP/s
    it's would more difficult

Quote from SeppukA

i think archon , meteor and teleport skills are imba.

Meteor - it must be IMBO skill, bcs it's last skill what we would get
    Archon - we think what it's a good skill, but we don't know how much it will increase u damage, and if u will use Archon, u must have an Familiar (Crimson) skill
    about teleport - don't know, only for melee wizard or just like a self-survival skill using only
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aZQieO!UdW!ZbZaZZ

any suggestions?

I think this should work, but no gameplay experience ;I
    Quote from Sowk

http://us.battle.net...QieO!UdW!ZbZaZZ

any suggestions?

can you give me a tip why you choose magic missle , frost nova and energy armor?

i havent got any game experience as like you btw , i compare it in to my mind and i'd rather ray of light instead of frost nova and diamond skin for energy armor..
    i dont ask you my choices are the best yours sux, i just want to know why..becouse all we got is discuss

Quote from Subara

about teleport - don't know, only for melee wizard or just like a self-survival skill using only

yeah i think the same , its just for survive or to cool down your skills ,otherwise lots of wizards get stucked
    Quote from Sowk

http://us.battle.net...QieO!UdW!ZbZaZZ

any suggestions?

That looks like a pretty standard build. Just keep in mind with Disintegrate you must stand still, and it's likely in Inferno that a solo wizard standing still will be quite dead quite fast.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes