Melee Wizard Build

Hi everyone!

I decided to post the melee wizard build i intend to try when Diablo 3 is released, my thoughts about the skill choices and why i choose them.

http://us.battle.net...WQiP!UgY!YaccZZ

This is a middle - melee ranged build with a focus of dealing damage with a 20 yard spectral blade and wave of force and then taking other skills and runes to increase damage and survivability.
    This builds aim is to be succesful at hell and inferno.

Spectral Blade /w Thrown Blade
    The main skill used to whittle down the enemy forces and provide damage from a relativley safe range.
    I took Thrown Blade so i get that additional range and AoE for the Blades so i can easier kite the enemy.

Wave Of Force /w Impactful Wave
    With impactful wave this skill function both as an offensive and defensive skill. It can be used to give you some range and keep whittling down the enemies with spectral blade, or simply to knock away the enemies so you can run away and get a little bit of respite for that potion finish it's cooldown.

Magic Weapon /w Force Weapon
    Increase in damage, and knockback gives a good deal of survivability, makes this a really good choice.

Energy Armor /w Force Armor
    Taken because it gives increased survivability and on top makes sure you need to be hit at least 3 times to die.

Teleport /w Calamity
    Works as both an escape and initiating tool. And has great synenergy with the knockback of Wave Of Force.

Familiar /w Sparkflint
    30% more damage, nuff said.

Passive Skills
    Galvanizing Ward - Survivability
    Blur - Survivability
    Glass Cannon - More Damage

Now i really have no idea how the different buffs interact with each other, for example if Blood Magic on Magic Weapon (3% of damage as lifegain) works with Spectral Blades at all, since such things would drastically alter my build.

If anyone knows more about how different runes and skills works together please do tell.

Otherwise post what you think would work and what would not work in this build and i will try to update it as it goes along.

Greetings
    Hiho

I doubt that your Build will work that well. You will be forced to switch between Energy Armor and Ice Armor allot, depending on the Monsters you face. Also all of your Damage comes from Spectral Blade?
    Maybe replace one of your Abilities with Energy Twister and an Alabaster Ruenstone, which makes the Twister spin in place, instead of Travel around.
    Quote from atumre

Hiho

I doubt that your Build will work that well. You will be forced to switch between Energy Armor and Ice Armor allot, depending on the Monsters you face. Also all of your Damage comes from Spectral Blade?
    Maybe replace one of your Abilities with Energy Twister and an Alabaster Ruenstone, which makes the Twister spin in place, instead of Travel around.

Why should i need Ice Armor? It only gives damage and a bit of CC, while energy armor gives a lot of survivability. Both have their advantages, but i prefer the max 38% damage taken from energy armor instead of the slow from ice armor.

And i have both spectral blade and energy wave plus the familiar for damage.
    Well Ice Armor with a Golden Rune in it would certainly increase your damage mitigation, and i doubt that the Familiar with only 15% weapon damage will be able to deal that much damage.
    I'm also afraid that the Buff the Familiar will give, will not affect the Familiar itself.

Also consider taking something like Meteor, for when a Horde of Monsters is clumped up in front of you, you can cast it and get rid of a fairly high amount of them.
    I think it looks nice, except the glass cannon passive. I'd rather go with Arcane Dynamo (to empower Wave of Force), Unstable Anomaly (especially for hell+), or perhaps Illusionist (to be on the safe side ^^).

Also, depending on how much damage mitigation one has, I'd also swap out the obsidian rune from Energy Armor, replace it with crimson rune for that extra magical resistance, especially if we have Unstable Anomaly.

Although, I think it might feel slightly repetitive, only having 2 offensive skills, but to each his own (:
    "I just wish Jay Wilson would stop delaying the game to personally draw pictures like these."
    -bashiok
    Man I really loved your initial approach (knowckbacks in long ranged spectral blades) but i think you made some mistakes in your build.

I would never pick Blur + Glass Canon + Obsidian energy Armor. Blur reduces the damage you take while glass cannon increases it. One passive is well used if you tank monsters while the other assume you must avoid all damage taken. also, blur reduces damage taken, reducing the number of times your energy shield will proc. I would definetly change glass canon for another passive.

Also i think you lack some consistent damage source. At the momment your weapon Damage per Second is really low (you haver 455%/313% burst with wave of force/teleport and then drop 105% wich is almost normal attack level). Remember teleport and wave of force has a large cooldown, might find yourself with both on cooldown and having to face a group of 5 champions with only spectral blade. This is also really bad DPS against bosses.

If i were you i would use some melee friendly AP spender like Explosive Blast, Obsidian Arcane Orb, Hydra or Meteor. Wizards really work when you cna quickly spend AP and quickly regenerates - cause this way you can keep using your strongest abilities at certain rate.

My 2 cents ;D
    "In time the hissing of her sanity
    Faded out her voice and soiled her name
    And like marked pages in a diary
    Everything seemed clean that is unstained
    The incoherent talk of ordinary days
    Why would we really need to live?
    Decide what is clear and what's within a haze
    What you should take and what to give" - Opeth
    There must be a reason why Jay Wilson said that he loves to play with his meele wizard. Since that day I see more and more people talking about it :) Way to go wizzys!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes