What's wrong with my WD?

Dear colleagues,
    First of all I would like to tell you that I'm a huge fan of your Diablo skills. I'm playing witch doctor. Im pretty new to the game though. Therefore I have some questions about my toon.
    Here is my wich doctor:

http://eu.battle.net...5/hero/19149261

1. I read Projaxs's WD guide...was thinking about implementing Acid Armaggedon build BUT then my

mojo dropped from Azmodan. It has no pick up radius but has really good damage instead. My

first question is: should I buy Thing of The Deep anyway? Im really confused...I don't know

what shall I do because Thing of The Deep is a MUST in his build.

Just to be clear. I don't have much gold. I could spend MAX. 2M on potential upgrades. I'm

looking more for stats help rather than item-to-buy info.

2. As you can notice my DPS is around 110-140K with 5 stacks of soul harvest and picked

health orbs. Still, I don't feel very comfortable doing farm runs.I'm playing mostly on MP3. Like I mentioned I have a feeling that my damage isn't enough. I can't 1-2 shoot white mobs and elites are pretty challenging. Is that crit chance/crit damage issue?

3. Is my vitality and resistances good enough? I feel that playing with spirit vessel is

mandatory for me. I mean, I don't die instantly but I do have to kite much.

4. In general, what would you tell me to do in order to improve my witch doctor gameplay?

That's all what comes to my head at the moment. Thanks for your response. If there is anyway
    I could pay you back don't hesitate to message me.
    With that gear you should still be farming mp0 if you want to be efficient.

As for pickup radius, I have 19 atm which is nice, I wouldn't mind more but I haven't found nice upgrades for that yet (I use Skorn). You only need pickup radius if you are actually using skills which require it (you aren't atm) like Grave Injustice.

You could compare with my WD: http://eu.battle.net...1/hero/21660595

As for if your defence is good enough, here is an easy benchmark: Some of your pets should always be alive before their CD is off. I myself had 3 dogs die... the last 5h of gameplay, but then again I'm playing on HC mode ^^;

As for improving your gameplay... just play, have fun, try out different builds and what not. I usually switch 1 or 2 skills every other farming run I do just to give them a go.

Try to always have a goal you are aiming for. I myself am atm aiming to get good enough gear to be able to safely farm keys for Infernal machine event on mp5.

Edit: P.S. My dps is 80k-130k (roughly) depending on how many stack of buffs I have up + Stone of Jordan.
    Winter is coming...
    Thanks for fast response. I was thinking...do I really need to get pickup radius items?

Don't get me wrong but I checked your profile and your damge seems lower than mine...How are you able to farm Keys on MP5???

Basically, my question was: is it really necessary for me to drop my current mojo and replace it with Thing of the Deep? Are there any other good items with raidus stat?

Thanks once more and GL
    I don't think you read my post carefully enough ^^;

I pointed out that you DON'T need pickup radius with your current skills, as none of them really need pickup radius. I use a lot cause I'm using Grave Injustice, so I'm trying to kill a lot of stuff fast inside my pickup radius to reduce the CD on Spirit Walk which I mainly use for travel (and also for some life and mana).

My damage is lower verus normal mobs yes, but much higher vs. packs. Cause I'm using a Stone of Jordan. I also said that my GOAL is to be able to farm mp5, I'm currently farming mp0 ^^

What I'm doing atm is basically; Start an mp0 game, go to all wps in act 3 and kill stuff as fast as I can. I get roughly 1 legendary / hour I play, I usually get around 1-1½ inventory of stuff that I pick up each run, usually around 1 item is something I place on the AH. These runs take me something like 20-30min.

So finally. If you don't intend to build a fast moving build and farm mp0 with Grave Injustice passive, there is no need for you to get pickup radius. Also I would recommend getting a nice Skorn + Stone of Jordan, as it's much easier to find a decent Skorn to deal damage with then mainhand + offhand and Stone of Jordan is just crazy good as long as you are killing packs, as trash shouldn't give you any trouble.

For efficiency you can go 1 of 2 ways;

For drops, make sure you play on a mp-level were you can 1 shot most/all trash mobs, and just rush from pack to pack.
    For exp, just focus on building/gearing your WD to be able to kill trash mobs as good as possible on as high mp-level as possible, and just kill trash mobs.

Or you do like me and go a little in the middle. Go to areas with lots of trash mobs, low mp-level and kill everything, and pick up anything I'm interested in.
    Winter is coming...
    Thanks a lot lads ;) I spent almost whole day searching on AH to get better gear. I bought Statue of Jordan and pick up radius gear and my gameplay is so so much better! I can farm on MP1 really easily. Thanks to Skorn my DPS didn't drop at all. See you around and thanks again!
    One is happy to be of service ^^
    Winter is coming...
    bump

Hi again! Could you tell me what should I improve in my witch doctor...Im pretty squishy on MP3. What would you guys change? Thanks in advance

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/vodkabringer-2785/hero/19149261
    swap horrify for dogs, dart for ghost bomb, acid rain rune for lob blomb bomb.

gearwise: gloves, craft something with 300ish int. get a tal rasha belt or a witching hour. pair of lacunis with 3% crit shouldn
    t cost you much either.

and after that, get EF + zunimasa mojo + mempo :3 to make your damage go higha :D also, emerald in your weapon until you have insane gear :3
    try getting your armor around 4k and your all resist up to 600 while maintaining around 40k hp, that should help a lot with your EHP
    Great character name. Love the Death Metal. Anyway, you may want to look for an Amulet with Life on Hit or maybe use a LoH gem on your Skorn, reason being, if Acid is your main attack, it will give you big returns when it hits groups of targets. Im not 100% if Tals Ammy can roll LoH, but you may want to start there. Also, 2 sockets in your pants could give you more DPS/EHP depending on how you want to gem them. I would also drop PtV infavor of Blood Ritual. It may be a DPS loss on paper, but its more casts per min, so in reality it will output more DMG and will help the HP regen. Hope that gives you a few ideas to work with.

Edit: Yes, and as the guy above me said, use Z Dogs.
    Wow thanks for great feedback! There is so many responses that...I don't know what shall I do ;)

1) Bracers >>> my current ones got loads intelligence and vitality while Lacuni Prowlers (at least those I can afford) doesnt have that much stats...instead they would give some crit and attack speed in exchange for huge amounts of intelligence and vitality....worth it?

2) Could you lads give some links to sites which explains how dps is measured? I mean, if I did buy Tal Rasha's amulet I would lost lot of crit damage done in favour of crit chance and life on hit...I'm not sure what to do here either...

3) Similar thing with my weapon...If I replaced my Skorn with Zunimasa's or Manajuma's main hand and off hand wouldnt my spells hit weaker due to lower dmg on my weapon???

4) Should I do everything to keep 1:10 ratio between crit chance and crit damage?

Thanks in advance, stay brutal! ;)
    sign up here http://d3up.com/ its a good site. You upload your toon and it will tell you everything you need to know. To test other items just click the button that says "change/compare/simulate Gear" and edit it, you can change all the stats, add stats, take away stats and it will change the dps in real time. Then just save it and check how it affected your EHP, damage, and anything.
    hello guys! it's me again with another bunch of questions

/your tips so far are extremely useful and thanks to them I'm 100x better wd than I used to be/

1) I ve been farming act III on MP3...but I want to push forward a bit...I'm aware I should change my weapon and was thinking what should it be? Is life steal mandatory at higher mps? if not I'd prefer to buy an echoing fury-ish thing with int and attack speed...or maybe I should buy manajuma's knife? any advice here would be greatly appreciated since I feel I'm stuck with this

2) currently I have 20 yds pick up radius....do you guys think I can drop it a bit? I was considering buying Thing of the Deep but it would have to be absolutely decent (read question 1)

3) any other suggestions about my gear?

heres my WD

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/vodkabringer-2785/hero/19149261

thanks a lot!!!
    hey again i see you're doing bears.

1: LS is mandatory. I would suggest a spear or axe with black damage and LS, ~150+ int, socket and crit damage if you can afford it. if you go without crit damage get 250ish int and try to get vit in there.

2: 20 is enough, but if you're going for 1h get something with -zombie charger manacost. and ~200 average. if you get a string you free up a slot for a non zuni piece. you could get a crit giuya or whatever instead of zuni head. however, zuni head is -great- for ehp :D this is pretty much personal preference thou since all the zuni pieces are great. but skip the thing if you plan on keeping pickup as off stat on your items.

3: as you increase the mp you have less use for the red gem in head, i socket life% because i like it more, allows me to be more reckless without deathing too much. look for a pair of blackthorne legs with 12% life and 2 sockets and decent int/vit instead of non-socket depth diggers. try to get a pox with atleast average damage on it, or if you get a string of skulls replace the pox with a rare ring or a unity - average is king imo. work on your gloves and maybe get a tal rasha neck.

last note: some say 24% ms is unnecessary for higher mp. i tend to actually agree with that. so maybe craft wrists. however, i love 24% ms and can not imagine playing without it - so it's basicly a choice between higher EHP/EDPS or running fast as the ias is more or less moot when you go 1h+oh
    Hey there Vodkabringer.
    Many people here who are trying to give you some advises are less geared and probably have less experience in playing WD with you, so keep that in mind.

There are 2 very horribly ultra bad things with your WD, and these are:

* You are using Skorn.
    * You have no MP5 at all.

Witch Doctor is a class with it's main stat MP5. Without mana regeneration, WD is a complete garbage.

When it comes to Skorn, that's surely the worse thing you can carry with WD and when I see people using it, I kinda feel sick.
    Horribly slow casting speed, usually lot less DPS then when using 1h + mojo etc.

Also, your build is way too horrible. It seams that you still didn't understand how your passive skills work and where and with what you need to combine them.

Check out my guide: http://www.diablofans.com/topic/90869-wd-gameplay-aint-only-bears-build/

When it comes to your gear, I ll have to say again that it's really horribly formed.

You have no MP5 at all, while you can have it on following:

1) Up to 12mp5 on weapon
    2) Up to 13mp5 on mojo
    3) Up to 12mp on voodoo mask
    3) 20 in 4 set zunimassa
    4) passive skills

DPS is not even close to primary stat that WD has. You can have 50k dps and a lot of mana regeneration and you will farm way faster then having 100k dps without mana at all. Your main and the only DPS skills are spirit barrage and zombie bears and if you can't spam them constantly, then your WD is completely useless. Go through my videos I posted above and try to understand how WD works.
    I wouldn't say Skorn is something that "Very Ultra Horribly wrong" to have on a WD.

There are plenty of capable 2 hander Witch Doctors out there, and in the grand scope of things, it really comes down to personal preference.

Also, Mana on gear can easily be supplemented through skills and passives, The only MANDATORY thing for a WD would be a 4 piece Zunimassa set.

Having the extra mana regen is nice, but there are ways to get around it. I currently ONLY have 4pce zunimassa supplying me with mana regen from gear, and I do mp 10 with no man issues at all, because my skills are able to support it (I've tested all the way to 1.80 attacks per second on this build).

To the OP:

To sum up the kind of stuff you should look for while gearing up, I would suggest the following provided you're going to continue with the Skorn set up.

Offensively:

Crit Chance and Crit Damage is even more key to a 2 hander build than it is to a 1h and mojo set up. The reason being is that, you're attacking much slower, so you want each of your hits to hit as hard as they possibly can. Ultimately in the end of your 2 hander build, you want to try and eek out as much of those two as you can on your gear.

Intelligence: This stat scales VERY well with the high average damage on your 2 hander, and will provide you with additional All Resistance, do not skimp on your main stat. Eventually you'll actually hit a point where a ruby will surpass an emerald in your skorn due to the scaling of int and average damage.

Average damage: Again, this will help your attacks be all that much more potent. Do not get Maximum damage pieces. aim for Minimum damage. or Ideally average damage range pieces.

Defensively:

As a WD using a 2hander, you leave yourself to being more vulnerable to being attacked due to the time it takes you to cast a skill, so you're going to really want to beef up your Defence

Armor: You're going to want to aim to have about 4k

Life: 55k+ would be a good goal, the more you can get without gimping yourself the better

Dexterity: This is a stat often missed by most Witch Doctors out there. Around 500+ dex is good to have, I usually like to suggest around 700. 700 Gives you roughly 25% chance to dodge attacks. What better way to mitigate damage than to not take it at all?

All Res: The more, the better. Try to aim for at least 550 for mid mp, and 650-700+ for high mp.

Hope this helps.
    Quote from FuriousBalls

* You are using Skorn.

Witch Doctor is a class with it's main stat MP5. Without mana regeneration, WD is a complete garbage.

MP5 is from back in WoW. Please talk about D3 here...
    Quote from DonBukka

I wouldn't say Skorn is something that "Very Ultra Horribly wrong" to have on a WD.

There are plenty of capable 2 hander Witch Doctors out there, and in the grand scope of things, it really comes down to personal preference.

Also, Mana on gear can easily be supplemented through skills and passives, The only MANDATORY thing for a WD would be a 4 piece Zunimassa set.

Having the extra mana regen is nice, but there are ways to get around it. I currently ONLY have 4pce zunimassa supplying me with mana regen from gear, and I do mp 10 with no man issues at all, because my skills are able to support it (I've tested all the way to 1.80 attacks per second on this build).

To the OP:

To sum up the kind of stuff you should look for while gearing up, I would suggest the following provided you're going to continue with the Skorn set up.

Offensively:

Crit Chance and Crit Damage is even more key to a 2 hander build than it is to a 1h and mojo set up. The reason being is that, you're attacking much slower, so you want each of your hits to hit as hard as they possibly can. Ultimately in the end of your 2 hander build, you want to try and eek out as much of those two as you can on your gear.

Intelligence: This stat scales VERY well with the high average damage on your 2 hander, and will provide you with additional All Resistance, do not skimp on your main stat. Eventually you'll actually hit a point where a ruby will surpass an emerald in your skorn due to the scaling of int and average damage.

Average damage: Again, this will help your attacks be all that much more potent. Do not get Maximum damage pieces. aim for Minimum damage. or Ideally average damage range pieces.

Defensively:

As a WD using a 2hander, you leave yourself to being more vulnerable to being attacked due to the time it takes you to cast a skill, so you're going to really want to beef up your Defence

Armor: You're going to want to aim to have about 4k

Life: 55k+ would be a good goal, the more you can get without gimping yourself the better

Dexterity: This is a stat often missed by most Witch Doctors out there. Around 500+ dex is good to have, I usually like to suggest around 700. 700 Gives you roughly 25% chance to dodge attacks. What better way to mitigate damage than to not take it at all?

All Res: The more, the better. Try to aim for at least 550 for mid mp, and 650-700+ for high mp.

Hope this helps.

I agree with this guy :3

Sure mps is important but really only the zuni set is mandatory, i run with 11 from my mojo aswell and haunt with draining spirit. and I like it :3
    Quote from Twoflower

Quote from FuriousBalls

* You are using Skorn.

MP5 is from back in WoW. Please talk about D3 here...

You are most likely frustrated you can't pass monster power level 3 or you are just too dumb to give a constructive feedback. All in all, I suggest you to completely stop posting cause it's in every single aspect useless as fuck.

@DonBukka - You are making a little bit of paradox here. You are saying that mana is not mandatory while every single skill you use (except bears) is mana regeneration skill. You are aware that having enough mana on gear makes you capable of using much greater and much more useful skills rather then Locust and Haunt which are when it comes to damage completely useless.

With enough mana regeneration on gear you could use way more useful passives like Grave Injustice etc.

Try playing with different build without those runes and tell me how you did in MP10.
    Quote from FuriousBalls

You are most likely frustrated you can't pass monster power level 3 or you are just too dumb to give a constructive feedback. All in all, I suggest you to completely stop posting cause it's in every single aspect useless as fuck.

@DonBukka - You are making a little bit of paradox here. You are saying that mana is not mandatory while every single skill you use (except bears) is mana regeneration skill. You are aware that having enough mana on gear makes you capable of using much greater and much more useful skills rather then Locust and Haunt which are when it comes to damage completely useless.

With enough mana regeneration on gear you could use way more useful passives like Grave Injustice etc.

Try playing with different build without those runes and tell me how you did in MP10.

Try keeping your epeen in check. People will listen to you more if you arent screaming that everyone who is trying to help is stupid unless they do as you do.

Mana regen on the lower MPs is NOT needed. I had no extra mana regen and was running MP6, and farming very effeciently AND had that naughty AS of 2.4 at the time. I was killing things using raw dps. Using Dogs, Gargantuan as meat shields with my Plague of Toads, to keep my distance, and using Acid Rain, Confusion and soul harvest. Id burst my DPS for elites and white trash died with ease without it.

I only switched out my build out of boredom around Plvl 99 and the fact the WD is pigeon holed into using Bears for Higher MP runs thus mana regen becomes important.

To the OP. Work on a balance of offence and defence and choose a build you want to use. Its difficult to switch mid stream if you decide to change skills as it may require a revamp of your gear. You dont need mana regen but you will be limited on your MP level because of it.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes