Any WD's still running Splinters?

I just got to inferno (hit 60 a day or so ago) and had no trouble with act1 in ilvl ~60 gear using splinter/bear build solo. Good enough to farm on a limited basis and certainly good enough to farm with friends in a group setting.

100k dps guy who spent cash money on his equipment is not someone I envy. Although I will be glad to see WD buffs next patch, I don't think it's accurate to say we're way behind.
    As long as I remain a poor WD, yes, I continue to use Splinters.
    Hey man, I've been running bears since pre-nerf and its been great with having 4 skills on cooldown and have constant mana.

The skills I use are:

Big bad voodoo: Slam Dance
    Fetish Army: Legion of Daggers
    Spirit Walk: Honored Guest
    Soul Harvest: Siphon

usually its these 4 I keep on cooldown and never run out of mana. BBV increases allies dmg and aps. Spirit Walk helps me regen mana in case I run out, and Siphon keeps me alive in the middle of a throng of enemies along with a +5 intelligence stack which boosts your damage.

left click zombie chargers: Bears
    right click Haunt: Resentful spirit (in case I need to kite)

passives

Spiritual Attunement: Necessary for last minute deaths, really saved my life a lot of times in Inferno.
    Spirit Vessel, regenerate my mana, I sometimes switch it with Rush of Essence to get my Mana back.
    Vision Quest, 4 skill cooldown is the basis to everything.

I occassionally put in Pierce the Veil but with bears there is too much of a high mana requirement.
    I'm tired of bears. I love my dire bats actually and want that to be my primary but it's also an expensive skill. Yeah that passive that does all that mana regen if you have four skills on cooldown, I guess I avoided that cause I kept wondering how often I'm gonna have all four skills on cooldown at the same time. It seemed weird to me.....but you find yourself frequently in that situation anyway?

Mostly I'd been scouting for max mana and regen gear just to compensate combiend with spirit walk and it's worked fairly well. I actually wouldn't mind the mana perk for Soul Harvest but that skill is keeping me alive too much in Inferno.
    haha yeah I know what you mean, usually before I go into a mob I'll cast the fetishes and BBV to increase the damage, and then spirit walk along with sould harvest for the extra mile intelligence, which after I just spam the bears consistently without worry. I guess I like AoE more than kiting, I usually kite with haunt if I run into a mob that is retarded to the point where there is no chance nobody on the team can tackle hahaa, especially the mortars and the invulnerable minions. Are firebats effective with pierce the veil? I've never tried that build before.
    Well I'm sure using Pierce the Veil is a big part of my problem.....

Actually I haven't really respecced in some time and my DPS is fairly respectable that I probably don't need PtV (I made a new acronym!) anymore.
    PTV has so much potential but noooo, blizzard has to induce the mana cost on it lol
    Well, like a lot of people, what pisses me off are the unnecessarily long cooldowns for some of WD's skills. Spirit Walk's is just a tad to long even with the passive that reduces it. Even if it was 1 second shorter of a cooldown that could make a really nice difference for my WD and I'd still be far from overpowered. It's just that even Dire Bats isn't like the ultimate offensive spell by any means so they could at least let me get 4-5 more bats out of a full globe of mana. I don't know. I'm still trying to work around it and I haven't even played for nearly a week cause it's borrrrrrinnnnng.
    My practice has been:

1. Drop BBV/Fetish Army if up
    2. Spirit Walk into optimal bear position
    3. Soul Harvest
    4. Spam Bears

I also run PtV so i'm only getting a few waves of bears before I run out of juice. If the wave is still alive after the initial barrage, I reposition while shooting darts (SW/SH will be back up by this time), then repeat or continue kiting. If all else fails I simply kite until BBV/FA come back up then use the fetishes to tank a bit while I land some bears with my slam dance dmg buff up.
    I've been running a tank doctor build us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WjUQdX!ZUV!bYcbZY (sorry cant link yet)
    Using that build i can faceroll act 1-2, 3 still gives me trouble but slowly working on better gear. Currently have no crit at all because rain of toads can't crit makes getting gear a bit cheaper.

1600 int, 18.5k dps, 450 resist all, 53k hp (+19%total life), 4249 armor with enchantress, 900 Life on Hit. Depending if i group with others or not I can drop Spirit Vessel for Pierce the Veil for 21.8K dps

LoH it godly with rain of toads I can tank thru most elites no problem, 900 LoH works out to 1500->2000+ hp a tick and keeps stacking for each mob it hits
    Jebbles were you that wd i was doing inferno diablo with?

Anyways i saw a guy with that skill set up and he was tanking diablo and eating everything with his 33k life tons of resis and the loh.
    Quote from pilch

Barbs are only 'flavour of the month' because:

1 - Demon hunters were nerfed
    2 - Content was nerfed
    3 - Gear is much easier to get than early after release

All of these things add up to make playing a barb rather easier than it used to be, except #1, that just means less people will play DH.

Honestly, #3 is a massive part of it. Before 1.0.3 as a Barbarian, you needed gear worth like 30 million+ to do Act 3 and 4 consistently. Post 1.0.3, you can do that with gear worth 1 million or even less. Kripp completed Inferno in gear worth 446k with less than 20 deaths in all Acts combined.

Basically, Barbs went from being the hardest class to gear to the easiest class to gear, mainly because they were allowed to finally allowed to use all the Barbarian DPS gear that had been flooding the AH at low prices for weeks.
    Quote from proletaria

My practice has been:

1. Drop BBV/Fetish Army if up
    2. Spirit Walk into optimal bear position
    3. Soul Harvest
    4. Spam Bears

I also run PtV so i'm only getting a few waves of bears before I run out of juice. If the wave is still alive after the initial barrage, I reposition while shooting darts (SW/SH will be back up by this time), then repeat or continue kiting. If all else fails I simply kite until BBV/FA come back up then use the fetishes to tank a bit while I land some bears with my slam dance dmg buff up.

That's exactly how I start out as well, solo farming throughout the entire is a breeze for me right now, but it gets rough with 4 people, im at like 43 hp and 42k dps and 4 man inferno is still a damn challenge, even when bears are clocking in at 350k+ damage, I just need a better DPS weapon w/ more critical. My intelligence is about 2300 but it definitely helps. With 5 stack soul harvest intell jumps to like 3k, its insane.
    Quote from Jebbles

I've been running a tank doctor build us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WjUQdX!ZUV!bYcbZY (sorry cant link yet)
    Using that build i can faceroll act 1-2, 3 still gives me trouble but slowly working on better gear. Currently have no crit at all because rain of toads can't crit makes getting gear a bit cheaper.

1600 int, 18.5k dps, 450 resist all, 53k hp (+19%total life), 4249 armor with enchantress, 900 Life on Hit. Depending if i group with others or not I can drop Spirit Vessel for Pierce the Veil for 21.8K dps

LoH it godly with rain of toads I can tank thru most elites no problem, 900 LoH works out to 1500->2000+ hp a tick and keeps stacking for each mob it hits

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fePdUQ!fUV!cZbZZ, that's a link to my build

43k hp, 42k dps, 130 LOH, but LOH for my build doesn't really work with bears, only haunt. It would awesome if it actually worked with bears though haha.

Dex = 400
    Strength = 400
    Intel = 2300
    Vitality=1000
    Quote from Unvarnished

Quote from Jebbles

http://us.battle.net...ePdUQ!fUV!cZbZZ, that's a link to my build

43k hp, 42k dps, 130 LOH, but LOH for my build doesn't really work with bears, only haunt. It would awesome if it actually worked with bears though haha.

Dex = 400
    Strength = 400
    Intel = 2300
    Vitality=1000

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#fePdUQ!fUV!cZbZZ** should be the updated one
    Bears always seemed like a strange skill for the WD anyway. Like why were they bears and not just like a ton of zombies? I picture bears in the woodlands and high up in the mountains. Not from the jungles where the WD is from.
    Used darts killed inferno diablo.
    Quote from Simca

Honestly, #3 is a massive part of it. Before 1.0.3 as a Barbarian, you needed gear worth like 30 million+ to do Act 3 and 4 consistently. Post 1.0.3, you can do that with gear worth 1 million or even less. Kripp completed Inferno in gear worth 446k with less than 20 deaths in all Acts combined.
    thats just some crap, after i found his movie, i gone to EU AH and found that theres nothing of same quality even for x5 times higher price.
    To be perfectly honest, I think the minimum gear issue to complete inferno is blown way out of proportion.

Even though act2 is tough as hell, I bet that I could still poke my way in and likely get close to an enrage timer on zoltan or azmodan. Considering i'm still wearing stuff valued at less than 20k gold sum-total, I think it's fair to say putting 500k in should make a slow and tedious inferno clear possible. It's just a matter of putting in the time and effort.

I haven't had adequate time to test this theory, but I plan to put my repair bill where my mouth is this weekend. :D I'll probably faux-blog about the experience in my GD thread.
    Quote from proletaria

It's just a matter of putting in the time and effort.

Its also a matter of getting enough money to being able to discount the repair bills while doing it.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes